Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Humes Out? 16:55 - Apr 28 with 904 viewsmanicmartian

Hi All,

I'm a man city fan, but my dad lived in colchester when he was younger so we've been all over the place watching them over the years. We went to fleetwood on saturday and i just wanted to ask why all the abuse for Tony Humes? There were a lot of fans shouting 4-4-2! 4-4-2! I thought the 4-2-3-1 formation worked really well and it was all a bit harsh. The team played really well i thought, especially Briggs and Murphy down the left (hope i got those right)

Only my 3rd game since season and i really don't keep in touch with any news so wondering can anyone enlighten me as to what's been going on?
Humes Out? on 17:01 - Apr 28 with 897 viewsBarsidepete

MM, too many loanees, although TH has done I believe best he can with what he's had, but out? yes, please. We've discussed options.

On the other hand, he did a good job with the academy.

Humes cannot run out on the pitch and play. But he is meant to be a motivator and a tactician. Not sure some of the players this year were listening. But things look bright lately.

It's a conundrum. What exactly is your question if you haven't been paying attention to the goings-on?

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Humes Out? on 19:56 - Apr 29 with 792 viewswessex_exile

Howdo Manc, one of our own posted a similar question a little while ago, and as I was the only one to reply, I'll have another go here.

I guess in short it's results - although we got off to a poor start under Joe Dunne (a Col U legend), Tony Humes hasn't pulled us sufficiently away from the relegation zone all season. He's had three good stretches of results, interspersed with two very poor ones, which leads to the conclusion that he's not really consistently learning from mistakes. He was clearly the cheap option for Robbie Cowling, and for those with a bit of a beef with Robbie Cowling himself that was enough. His use of substitutes is questionable, and particularly his ability to read a game and see where tactics and/or formations need to be changed - perceived as at best stubborn, and at worst arrogant. He has shown a preference for youth players (he was our - very successful - U21 manager), and in the process dropped/ ostracised more senior players, some of whom have for all intents and purposes made their feelings about him publicly known - Jabo Ibhere for one refusing to play for him from Day 1, and Clohessy snubbing him when being subbed after a poor display.

On the plus side, he has continued Joe's desire for the U's to play a good passing game, and in my opinion made it pacey and more threatening down the flanks. He has made some very good astute signings (Porter and whilst he was here Gorkks immediately spring to mind). When everything gels, he seems to have got our team really playing as a team. Whether some like it or not, he's operating within constraints that Robbie Cowling has set, and for all the right reasons - i.e. focus on youth and loanees to make the U's an ongoing viable concern. He has given far more of our nippers a chance to cut it a league level, and that has to be good for Col U in the longer term. As for the senior players no longer featuring regularly, apart from maybe Gordon, I defy any Col U fan to say hand on heart they were actually performing to the best of their ability consistently enough.

Robbie Cowling has gone on record as stating Tony Humes will be our manager next season, wherever we end up, and that has clearly struck a nerve with those that don't rate him. Personally, if his results were mapped out over a full season we wouldn't be worrying about relegation right now. I don't want Col U to be a club that hires and fires managers with gay abandon, so I am perfectly happy for him to have the chance to both have a summer clear out and bring a few more in, and see what he can do with a full season in front of him.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Humes Out? on 12:57 - May 1 with 665 viewsnoah4x4

I think that whatever happens on Sunday (like the Chairman), the fans should get behind BOTH the team and Tony Humes.

Hume's league managerial record in 2015 is;
P22; W8; D4; L10; Points 28.

Had such form been consistent over an entire 46 match season we would have ended comfortably mid-table on 58 points. Just ask yourself too, when was the last time we had a sequence of 20 + games where we lost fewer than 50%?

Then in April; we have achieved;
P7; W3; D2; L2; Points 11.

Had such form been consistent over an entire 46 match season we would have ended on 72 points in a play off place!

The fact is; Tony Humes inherited a dire situation from Joe Dunne in October. Our back four then collapsed through injury whilst Ibrehe, Clohessy, Watt and others threw their toys out of the pram. U's fans suffered for another two months whilst Tony sourced the loan market and sorted out the mess, but surely his record since January 1st is wholly acceptable?

Even if we do get relegated (and I still think we may escape) I don't think he has done a bad job from where we lay when he took over. The damage was done long before then, and he has been unlucky not to get more points (Gillingham, Scumthorpe etc). So I say let's give him a break.
[Post edited 1 May 2015 12:58]
Humes Out? on 23:19 - May 1 with 614 viewsBarsidepete

Humes Out? on 12:57 - May 1 by noah4x4

I think that whatever happens on Sunday (like the Chairman), the fans should get behind BOTH the team and Tony Humes.

Hume's league managerial record in 2015 is;
P22; W8; D4; L10; Points 28.

Had such form been consistent over an entire 46 match season we would have ended comfortably mid-table on 58 points. Just ask yourself too, when was the last time we had a sequence of 20 + games where we lost fewer than 50%?

Then in April; we have achieved;
P7; W3; D2; L2; Points 11.

Had such form been consistent over an entire 46 match season we would have ended on 72 points in a play off place!

The fact is; Tony Humes inherited a dire situation from Joe Dunne in October. Our back four then collapsed through injury whilst Ibrehe, Clohessy, Watt and others threw their toys out of the pram. U's fans suffered for another two months whilst Tony sourced the loan market and sorted out the mess, but surely his record since January 1st is wholly acceptable?

Even if we do get relegated (and I still think we may escape) I don't think he has done a bad job from where we lay when he took over. The damage was done long before then, and he has been unlucky not to get more points (Gillingham, Scumthorpe etc). So I say let's give him a break.
[Post edited 1 May 2015 12:58]

That ColU v Crawley 2-3 really stinks in my brain.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024