Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Major off topic. AA meeting. 04:59 - Mar 11 with 1362 viewsBarsidepete

I'm going to my first ever Alcoholics Anonymous meeting on Friday.

It took a lot of guts, whatnot, to do so.

I wanted you lot to know. Dealt with a t-bone crash into my truck -- a vehicle hit me to my side.My fiance died of cancer when we were supposed to be married July 4th. I had fractured foot in a freak accident where I hobbled for about 6 weeks. Got DUI (driving while intoxicated) November 2015 .. jail time before Christmas ...

I completed the first steps of what Virginia requires. I lost my privilege to drive until December 2016.

Now just moving forward in 2016.

I wanted to give a few of you context. 2014/15 sucked.

2016 is going to be a good year for me. I've promised that to myself.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Major off topic. AA meeting. on 12:35 - Mar 11 with 1334 viewsmrhappy

Your be fine Barside - AA are good people - the comraderie will be a BIG plus.

keeping fighting the good fight - x

Prayers with you.
[Post edited 11 Mar 2016 16:44]

MR HAPPY SAYS BE HAPPY - LIFE IS SHORT - MAKE IT COUNT ! GOD BLESS YOU !
Poll: Derby County - how the mighty have fallen - Rooney the Gooney

Major off topic. AA meeting. on 16:19 - Mar 11 with 1310 viewsburnsieespana

Good luck mate.
Friend of mine here been going for about 18 months to AA and has helped him a great deal.
Major off topic. AA meeting. on 03:40 - Mar 12 with 1267 viewsBarsidepete

Major off topic. AA meeting. on 16:19 - Mar 11 by burnsieespana

Good luck mate.
Friend of mine here been going for about 18 months to AA and has helped him a great deal.

Thanks, Burnsie and Haps...

It was tough admitting this.

I knew that posting this thread might raise some eyebrows.

Going to AA is one of my most important decisions ever. It's going to help heal me. Day 1 was, um, weird. Didn't say a word.

Up the U's.

Major off topic. AA meeting. on 12:25 - Mar 12 with 1229 viewsthrillseeker

Good for you to identify a problem. Many deny it

Obviously meet up in Costa Coffee/ Starbucks and not the Bricklayers the next time you are over

Good luck Pete.
Major off topic. AA meeting. on 09:40 - Mar 13 with 1184 viewsMadeira163

Well done Pete

The first step is the hardest and you've now done that walking through the door

Keep it up it really does work

Regards Geoff
Major off topic. AA meeting. on 20:01 - Mar 13 with 1152 viewsGate16

Good luck mate. I hope things pick up for you.

Best Wishes
Major off topic. AA meeting. on 23:08 - Mar 13 with 1134 viewsconcordman

Sorry to hear your news. Have you considered Celebrate Recovery. I have heard it has a far better success rate. The church I attend has over a hundred people meet for various habits, hang ups and hurts.
Major off topic. AA meeting. on 18:28 - Mar 15 with 1063 viewsBarsidepete

Major off topic. AA meeting. on 23:08 - Mar 13 by concordman

Sorry to hear your news. Have you considered Celebrate Recovery. I have heard it has a far better success rate. The church I attend has over a hundred people meet for various habits, hang ups and hurts.

Thanks for the information, Concord. I had a look at their site and there are two local options, but they only meet once a week; one conflicts with my Friday AA time and the other is on Sundays, albeit in the morning, and I'm at AA Sunday evenings too, and that's geared at my only problem, alcohol, while CR is more general.

The worst I'd do otherwise is 3-5 cigarettes in a day or no cigarettes for 1-2 days.

When I fly over over I always bring a carton in my suitcase for $55--the legal limit for customs, a carton--otherwise, instead of paying $5.50 per pack, it would come to around $13-$16 per pack if I wait till I get there. (Marlboro's are £8.50-£9.00 = $14-$16 in East Anglia).

Thrillo: "identify a problem" -- done that. There are two other Bricklayers mates -- actually three -- who would easily be ok with a Costa meet-up instead of a Brickies Friday when I fly over -- likely all, including Panners77 and Carruthers. We'll still have a proppa English breakfast or an excellent curry night out.

GSY: I have faith it works. Right to the point, G.

Gate! -- It's been alright. Walk more now. Drink about a litre of orange juice per day -- as at the end of days decided if I loved "screwdrivers" (voddy & o.j.), why not enjoy crisps and a ploughman and an o.j... an EBT with a Battenberg cake...

Serious sweets ... such as the Blackberry, pear and pinenut crumble.

Gerry,.. thanks for your support too (inbox) ... it did take me out of a comfortable orbit to post.

Know what? Be happy to share a pint or two.
My problem was I couldn't stop at two pints.

At Bricklayers nights ? two pints max
At the WHCS with Panners? one pint at HT, that's it.

No more hard liquor. Good friends are the best liquor

Login to get fewer ads

Major off topic. AA meeting. on 14:05 - Mar 17 with 1005 viewsthrillseeker

A curry sounds good to me
Major off topic. AA meeting. on 17:58 - Mar 17 with 987 viewsBarsidepete

Major off topic. AA meeting. on 14:05 - Mar 17 by thrillseeker

A curry sounds good to me

Excellent. A curry night, a Costa coffee and sarnies day, a modest 2 pint Brickies, The U's 2-3 games (mainly have bovril and a burger or pie).. Might go see the Iron if it happens to fit in.

Think I have my next time around figured out. I also like to merely chill out at the Premier Inn by railway station with goodies --such as bhajis and bbq chicken legs from Asda. And a bloomer with cheddar and tomato, Walkers, tv..

Major off topic. AA meeting. on 16:52 - Mar 22 with 928 viewsBarsidepete

Dumb "bump."

Hanging in there

Attended again Sunday and Monday evening... Tuesday evening, tonight, with my GP's group (separate from AA).

My gramps was such a good drinker. I was always amazed how well he held it together, the epitome of a happy drunk, who didn't cuss and fuss.

The other night we had 5 new visitors. One gal--about 60--who was visiting family from Texas but needed the support system of our group--1500 miles away--and 4 from a Narc Anon house (narcotics anonymous) who had alcohol issues too.

One admitted that she was getting better. Two were down to just alcohol. Two more couldn't get the really hard stuff out of their system.

We always have bickies, chocolates, coffee, tea and hot cocoa. We ask for $1 to pay for our expenses each visit. But no penny is required. No one is turned away.

Major off topic. AA meeting. on 16:44 - Mar 23 with 897 viewsconcordman

Hang in there. CR is general but it goes deeper to help. I would be more than welcome to get you some more information. The person who runs ours CR at the church said AA has absolutely nothing on CR.
Major off topic. AA meeting. on 22:32 - Mar 25 with 849 viewsBarsidepete

Major off topic. AA meeting. on 16:44 - Mar 23 by concordman

Hang in there. CR is general but it goes deeper to help. I would be more than welcome to get you some more information. The person who runs ours CR at the church said AA has absolutely nothing on CR.

Well of course. I'll inbox you my contact information. I do know who you are in "real life."

This week kind of sucked in that there was no football of note on tv, stateside .. for some reason it created a black hole, and otherwise I can always DVR a game from the afternoon if I'm not home and catch it later.

All we got was the Italy v Spain friendly. (1-1)

Had a blast listening to our beloved U's this afternoon on U's Player. That was so cool.

Onward to Coventry v The U's on Tuesday. I had today's 2-1 in Daniel's PL. But 4-1 is just fine with me

Another A.A. in half an hour, Gotta go!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024