Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Colchester player crisis and guess what still no striker....... 22:57 - Nov 20 with 395 viewsdurham_exile

The disappointing news that John Joe O'toole is going to be out for longer than first thought following surgery on his troublesome groin, coupled with Rio's broken toe and Stevie G's ongoing injury woes means we have lost a key defender, midfield star and potential matchwinner at a critical stage of the season.

Regarding Gillespie, make no mistake that although his injury record is lamentable, he does have a knack of scoring vital goals on the few and increasingly rare occasions that he does manage to play.

The point that I am making is that although the squad for economic reasons was slimmed down this season, the injuries have shown what a small squad we currently have.

Although I have banged on about the lack of striking ability all season, I make no apology for repeating myself. It is hideously unfair to expect Kayode Odejayi to shoulder the striking role on his own.

Ian Henderson is not capable of leading the line and although I have yet to see Casey Thomas (to be rectified at Carlisle on saturday) play, his two appearances have not suggested that we have found a replacement for Antonio.

Our inability to win against any of the top 5 teams, seems to condemn us to midtable obscurity or worse if saturday's scoreline is repeated too often.

The problem is however solvable - sign a striker (I have already listed 27 strikers that we have tried for or have allowed to slip through the net.

With finances tight a loanee is more likely but I have stated that an audacious bid for a striker from Scunny in January may well be successful. Chris Dagnall is our man and with Scunny languishing near to the drop zone, he could definitely be secured. Quick feet, an eye for goal and the perfect partner for Kayode, yes this is who we need.

One thing is certain - 11 away goals with 4 scored on the opening day at poor Preston confirms that we simply cannot score enough goals.

Even the impregnability of Fortress Weston is at risk, only three wins and a mere 15 goals, is well short of what we should be achieving.

Frankly it is embarrassing to lose to the Franchise. A team that will not achieve promotion, but a team that signed McDonald and Bowditch to score aome goals.

I have seen the other away defeats (we were unlucky to lose at Huddersfield, but well beaten at the Sheffield clubs and at home to Charlton). Saturday we go to a team where we have had good results - last season excepted, when we played probably the worst that I have seen a Colchester team for many years.

There is no point in packing the midfield and expecting Kayode to perform miracles on his own for 90 minutes a game. At least try another player along side the big man - even the Doogie might offer some striking prowess.

The 5-1 humiliation must be scotched immediately and JW must adopt a positive approach. 4-4-2 offers far more than the stifling and negaitive 4-5-1.

If we are going to play 2 wide men in Woody and Vincent then let them contribute as such.

Magnus will be back and Heath is an able replacement for Rio. Wilson and Coker
do at least get forward. Bond and James would be preferred to other centre midfielders, but please, please give Kayode some help.

If Thomas is not good enough then get rid and move on. Give him the full 90 minutes to see whether he is the answer.

I am sick and tired of reading about Colchester punching above their weight, the truth is that we are 14th now and even the Monkey Hangers have moved ahead of us again.

Are there really more than 6 teams in the league that are better than Colchester. I don't know but unless we give the striking option a go we will never find out.

For goodness sake, let's show the league what we are capable of, get the players fit and start to climb the table. It is not too late, but Christmas is the cut off point.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024