Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
94 minutes at MKD - one shot 22:51 - Jan 2 with 541 viewsnoah4x4

The positive was that we didn't conceed five (but might well have - had MKD been sharper).

The U's having just one shot on target and NIL off target in 94 minutes summed up a poor performance.

Odejayi - totally snuffed out by their centre backs.
Gillespie - uninspiring - very little movement - looked disinterested.
Hendo - very average
Doogie - kept running - but largely ineffective
James - gave ball away far too often
Bond - Had little influence
White - tormented on his flank - but did his job.
Easton - Solid in defence - but couldn't find outlets.
Magnus - Frequently saved the day
Wilson - decent in defence - ineffective going forward
Williams - distribution awful (always found a white shirt) - however, his shot stopping excellent. For once (this season) U's MoM.

Odejayi and James off - Coker and Izzet on = some improvement (and much more fight). But looked to me like a very tired weary performance by a heavy legged team desperate for a rest. I think we should be glad that we have made an exit from the FA Cup and some players can recuperate.
94 minutes at MKD - one shot on 13:10 - Jan 3 with 512 viewswessex_exile

Cheers Noah - I've read elsewhere that some didn't think Odejayi looked even remotely match fit yesterday - what was your view from being there? Definitely good to have the break coming up, as with Scunny and Chesterfield at home, and Orient away after that, we could be looking at all nine points if we're on our game.

Up the U's

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

94 minutes at MKD - one shot on 13:28 - Jan 3 with 508 viewsBaldrick

This league is ever so close from maybe the half way down. We only need to loose a couple more and teams below us win and we are back in the basement struggle. One of my boy's who is not into football but motorcycles visited his mate and family and his mate is a MKD supporter and went to the match and my boy reckons we were dire ! A lot of the MKD supporters were upset they had not put the ball away and were very perturbed by the Colchester attitude of playing for a 0-0 draw. Gilly looked tobe jarred off with the U's performance but then can you blame him ?
I still believe we need a manager with a bit more bite and touchline effort this one niggles us. He is younger than us ole beggers but deffinetly did not have the same sort of schooling hands in pockets playing pocket Billiards !!
There will be no change on the manager line and next season will be just as dire one up front and of course now all the excuses will come out about the new league rules on players pay.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
94 minutes at MKD - one shot on 15:40 - Jan 3 with 494 viewsnoah4x4

94 minutes at MKD - one shot on 13:28 - Jan 3 by Baldrick

This league is ever so close from maybe the half way down. We only need to loose a couple more and teams below us win and we are back in the basement struggle. One of my boy's who is not into football but motorcycles visited his mate and family and his mate is a MKD supporter and went to the match and my boy reckons we were dire ! A lot of the MKD supporters were upset they had not put the ball away and were very perturbed by the Colchester attitude of playing for a 0-0 draw. Gilly looked tobe jarred off with the U's performance but then can you blame him ?
I still believe we need a manager with a bit more bite and touchline effort this one niggles us. He is younger than us ole beggers but deffinetly did not have the same sort of schooling hands in pockets playing pocket Billiards !!
There will be no change on the manager line and next season will be just as dire one up front and of course now all the excuses will come out about the new league rules on players pay.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

We were dire up front - slack in midfield - but defensively pretty solid against a powerful team.

I don't think Odejayi had any fitness problem - was just out skilled by two superb central defenders. In general, our passing via midfield was dire - and our forward movement limited. U's were simply strangled by a far better equipped side. Also, was not a case of lack of effort - just beaten by the far better side. We were fortunate not to conceed five (well done the defence - Eastman and Magnuss were excellent).

Can't agree re John Ward. Here, he went with 4 -4 -2 with Gillie and Odejayi (e.g. what most fans wanted?) and it didn't work. U's were much better versus Exeter with no Odejayi (yet in past matches he has excelled) and here after he being replaced by Coker. I reckon JW sussed out long ago that the Odejayi and Gillie combination doesnt work. Hence why Gillie has so often been on the bench. We do need a new striker - but (IMHO) we need a different type if paired with Gillie than if with Odejayi. That's not to say that either are bad players. They just don't fit.

BTW, we have only lost to the League's top seven sides - and so have everybody else. So is it any surprise that it is so tight in the bottom half? Also all of the top five have more points at this same stage than last year's runaway leaders Brighton (and Charlton are way ahead of their total). Unusually, we hence have a pack of runaway league leaders - and is it therefore any surprise that we are not amongst them on gates of 4,000? When we lose to those below us - then maybe we can complain - but that's not where we are failing. The next few weeks (Scunny, Orient etc.) will confirm our 2011-12 destiny - and I suspect we will win them all - but never against the top five - that are unusually far superior to typical Division One sides.
94 minutes at MKD - one shot on 22:41 - Jan 3 with 474 viewsdurham_exile

94 minutes at MKD - one shot on 15:40 - Jan 3 by noah4x4

We were dire up front - slack in midfield - but defensively pretty solid against a powerful team.

I don't think Odejayi had any fitness problem - was just out skilled by two superb central defenders. In general, our passing via midfield was dire - and our forward movement limited. U's were simply strangled by a far better equipped side. Also, was not a case of lack of effort - just beaten by the far better side. We were fortunate not to conceed five (well done the defence - Eastman and Magnuss were excellent).

Can't agree re John Ward. Here, he went with 4 -4 -2 with Gillie and Odejayi (e.g. what most fans wanted?) and it didn't work. U's were much better versus Exeter with no Odejayi (yet in past matches he has excelled) and here after he being replaced by Coker. I reckon JW sussed out long ago that the Odejayi and Gillie combination doesnt work. Hence why Gillie has so often been on the bench. We do need a new striker - but (IMHO) we need a different type if paired with Gillie than if with Odejayi. That's not to say that either are bad players. They just don't fit.

BTW, we have only lost to the League's top seven sides - and so have everybody else. So is it any surprise that it is so tight in the bottom half? Also all of the top five have more points at this same stage than last year's runaway leaders Brighton (and Charlton are way ahead of their total). Unusually, we hence have a pack of runaway league leaders - and is it therefore any surprise that we are not amongst them on gates of 4,000? When we lose to those below us - then maybe we can complain - but that's not where we are failing. The next few weeks (Scunny, Orient etc.) will confirm our 2011-12 destiny - and I suspect we will win them all - but never against the top five - that are unusually far superior to typical Division One sides.

Noah thanks for the update which paints a bleak picture.

I notice that there appears to be little press speculation about possible signings - I have suggested Chris Dagnall from Scunny for weeks now, perhaps an exchange with Stevie G plus cash!!!!

One player that we definitely will not be signing is Fleetwood Town's Jamie Vardy who is knocking them in for fun and is wanted by Ipswich, Brum, Huddersfield etc.

Perhaps the Conference is the answer for Colchester to prise out a striker - we must do something and fast.

PS With Scunny coming to Town soon, you can run the rule over Dagnall.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

94 minutes at MKD - one shot on 20:50 - Jan 5 with 450 viewsnoah4x4

94 minutes at MKD - one shot on 22:41 - Jan 3 by durham_exile

Noah thanks for the update which paints a bleak picture.

I notice that there appears to be little press speculation about possible signings - I have suggested Chris Dagnall from Scunny for weeks now, perhaps an exchange with Stevie G plus cash!!!!

One player that we definitely will not be signing is Fleetwood Town's Jamie Vardy who is knocking them in for fun and is wanted by Ipswich, Brum, Huddersfield etc.

Perhaps the Conference is the answer for Colchester to prise out a striker - we must do something and fast.

PS With Scunny coming to Town soon, you can run the rule over Dagnall.

Up the U's

No Durham, I don't see it as bleak. We were simply outgunned on the day by a far superior team, and our defence excelled in not conceeding more than one goal. Against other than the league's top six teams - I reckon we are OK.

Where I do agree is that we need a striker - but the question is - to partner EITHER Odejayi or Gillespie (with Hendo midfield/wide)? Here I am unsure. What troubles me is that I don't know if (say) a Dagnall would work with either. Kay and Gillie don't gel together - so who can be sure they will gel with any another?

Maybe we need to replace both? - But soon we have the dilemma of the 65% playing budget rule (see other thread). I wonder if JW has long pursued a policy of just one up front as he has long recognised what I am suggesting above - but has his hands tied as regards replacing both - and doesn't know what to do except struggle on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024