Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rams made to look rather sheepish 00:02 - Aug 7 with 438 viewsdurham_exile

So my first pre season friendly for Season 2012/13 allowed me to witness an entertaining encounter between the U’s and the Rams at the WHCS.

A visit to the Club Shop was worthwhile, I obtained the new home shirt with the 75 badge and very fine it is too.

A pleasant dry evening in North Essex, small but enthusiastic crowd including a smattering of the Cockney RAMS and a pitch which looked in very good condition set things up nicely for my first sight of the U’s new signings.

First of all apologies for the delay in filing the report but I have been away in London for the weekend for the Olympics and so the Friday night fixture at Colchester worked brilliantly into the scheduling.

JW lined up as follows:

Cousins

Wilson Magnus Heath Rose

Izzet Bond Wordsworth Henderson

Morrison Sears

Subs:

Duguid, Eastman, Bean, O’Toole, Ladapo, Coker, Pentney

Now I don’t read too much into pre season friendlies, I remember a few seasons ago we won every one and then lost the first four league games. This match was very interesting however. JW lined up with two strikers and four in midfield, the passing was crisp and on the deck and to feet.

After nine minutes Magnus scored his first goal of the season, a breakdown in communication on the edge of the box between Magnus and Cousins led to a horrendous backpass which went wide of the unfortunate Cousins and trickled agonisingly into the net. Now unlike Williams Cousins doesn’t utter much sound and I think he needs to command the box rather more.

Anyway it was a gift for Derby who subsequently failed to capitalise on the host’s generosity. Tyson (who looked disinterested all night) had a shot that was deflected and Keogh missed a header that he should have done much better with but it was certainly not all one way traffic, Colchester showed many good touches with Bond and Sears showing good possession.

This was my first chance to see Clinton Morrison in the famous blue and white stripes as opposed to the Owl’s imitation. He doesn’t look match fit but his enthusiasm cannot be denied and he was a menace all-night to the Rams defence.

Rose was playing at left back but he managed to find himself surging up the touchline at every opportunity often losing the ball and sometimes crossing waywardly. On at least four occasions he was well out of position and either Heath or Izzet had to cover. Now I can only imagine that JW had given him the nod to attack whenever possible but with about 10 minutes to go to the interval, a furious Joe Dunne strode to the technical area to berate the hapless Rose.

Second half he became even more anonymous but did keep more to his left back duties. His one free kick first half drifted high and wide of the target. Now I do not want to make this too negative but I do not see Rose as a permanent fixture in the Col U side and he should be dropped to allow Coker to play. If JW insists on playing him then he would be better at left half (sorry left sided midfield) but this must be a last resort.

Now when I learned that Freddie Sears had signed I was delighted and have predicted that he and Clinton Morrison could bag 28 goals between them this season.

Sears had a great game; he looked keen and enthusiastic, eager to get the ball, prepared to play on either wing and behind Morrison but equally more advanced than last season. His first goal on 42 mins was an absolute peach.

Heath and Henderson played the ball forward to Bond who reached Sears on the right hand edge of the penalty area where he took a touch and fired a strong diagonal shot into the far corner.

A deserved equaliser and more was to come. After half time we maintained the momentum and it was the same pairing of Bond and Sears who combined with Morrison to present Freddie Sears with the ball on the edge of the penalty area. He clipped a delicious finish over the keeper and into the net. A classy finish.

Nigel Clough seethed on the touchline.

JW made some changes with Marcus Bean and John Joe O’Toole replacing Izzet and Wordsworth respectively after 68 minutes.

Bean looked sharp and pacy and O’Toole played a cameo role. After 76 mins Magnus went down heavily and Tom Eastman replaced him. It was more precautionary but a sensible time to make the change.

The inventive Morrison (who is still lacking match fitness) was replaced by another Freddie this time the young striker Ladapo. He looks pacy, full of running and keen to impress.

It was hugely disappointing that Derby created an equaliser which was literally the last kick of the game. I think that a U’s victory was deserved but it was not to be.

Now although I tend not to pay to much attention to pre-season friendlies, I was very impressed with the U’s style of play.

JW had set up the team to play 4-4-2 but more importantly they played the ball to feet with sharp passing and always looked to create and move the ball forward. Many positives; Freddie Sears was outstanding, Andy Bond was strong, Marcus Bean looked a good acquisition and when fully fit Clinton Morrison will be a good strike partner with Sears. Ladapo has a bright future and if used sensibly can contribute much to Colchester this year.

With Yeovil and Preston (both Away) coming thick and fast, this was a good opportunity for the players to shine. The Poorman Road outfit will be in town this week so we must avoid injuries.

JW will have his line up for Yeovil worked out, I would like to see:

Cousins

Wilson Magnus Eastman Coker

Bond Bean O’Toole Wordsworth

Morrison Sears

But JW will be looking to accommodate Izzet and Hendo some where amongst the first X1.

JW - Keep up the good work!

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Rams made to look rather sheepish on 00:11 - Aug 7 with 433 viewsmrhappy

Nice one ! x

MR HAPPY SAYS BE HAPPY - LIFE IS SHORT - MAKE IT COUNT ! GOD BLESS YOU !
Poll: Derby County - how the mighty have fallen - Rooney the Gooney

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024