Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mooney ........"he was once shi%^ and is now alright...." 09:00 - Jan 29 with 351 viewsnoah4x4

The announcement of the postponement of the WHCS fixture was not made until after our arrival at the pub; and with our evening's plans in tatters; it wasn’t a difficult decision to travel down to Brisbane Road to watch a few U’s discards (Dave Mooney; Lloyd James; Nathan Clarke; Kevin Lisbie). I now have no doubt why this Leyton Orient team is deservedly defying gravity in the dizzy heights of an automatic promotion place. We visit them in a few weeks; what might we expect to encounter; and how might we overcome them?

It was a shame that only 5,077 fans saw a fine exhibition of thrilling attacking end to end football from two excellent sides; causing me to doubt whether the O’s (or the U’s) could ever become a sustainable Championship club on such modest gates given the Fair Play restrictions that limit playing budget as regards revenue. I was expecting a slosh about dirty gritty match; but the pitch was in remarkable condition; didn’t cut up despite rain pouring throughout the game; and player shorts remained clean Red or Sky Blue. All credit to the ground staff; and to the two teams for overcoming the conditions to serve up the best game that I have witnessed as a neutral for many a season.

What impressed me most was the speed with which the O’s attacked and their rapidity to close down the Sky Blues when not in possession of the ball to snuff out their past proven threat before it gained any momentum. Romain Vincelot is described as a “defender”; and he does line up at kick off just in front of the back four. However; he seems to play whenever the ball might be; and that is often in very advanced positions; as part utility player; part Rottweiler. I have never seen such an exhibition where one single player (n.b. and always fairly) has caused so much mayhem in opposition ranks when NOT in possession of the ball. Vincelot ran his legs off in a M.O.M performance to repeatedly dispossess the Sky Blues in all sectors of the pitch to win the ball back for the eager Orient attackers to once again surge forward. Thrilling stuff!

Before our scheduled visit on 1st March; Joe Dunne will need to work out how to negate the threat of the rubber legged; twinkle toed; clever step-over Moses Odubajo ; who reminded me of Lua Lua at his best. He and Dean Cox stretch defences across the full width of the pitch; and repeatedly seem to make it all the way into the opposition penalty area with the ball at their feet; before cutting it back; for the cantering Lisbie; Dagnall or Mooney to then run on to it. The O’s play a similar passing game to the U’s; but their ball transmission from rear to front did seem so much swifter. It all seems a simple equation to me; the more service a striker gets to his feet; the more likely that he is to score. Here Mooney obliged with his first kick after coming on from the bench; a confident strike from somebody that is now fearless of shooting and no longer wanting to walk the ball into the net. Result; 2-0 and much deserved; whilst Coventry played their part too.

The O’s fans humorously suggest; “Mooney was once shi%^; and now he’s alright”. That set me thinking; why didn’t he flourish in Blue & White? Again; with hindsight,I believe it is simple. Some recent U’s managers have played too narrow; too cautiously; and without adequate midfield pace, width and skills to support our strikers; none of whom ever had blistering pace. Lisbie, Mooney and Dagnall are not speedsters; need only two touches when in an advanced position; but are ineffective when receiving the ball on the half way line. This means their support must have width and pace to get the ball deep into opposition territory before feeding them; or instead win the ball inside the opposition half., This is exactly what Odubajo; Cox and Vincelot succesfully conspire to do; with good support from Lloyd James; who often delivers an excellent final ball.

I expect Joe Dunne was probably at Brisbane Road (surely too good an opportunity to miss?); and possibly came back thinking the same thoughts as me. How do we beat them (and Coventry)? My opinion; let’s charge Bean and David Wright with the task of ‘doing a Vincelot’; with Watt and Massey (or Drey Wright) then providing extreme width. If the U’s then play a higher than usual defensive line to hold back the O's donkey's; with perhaps only three at the back to permit us to swamp the midfield and choke their width; we can perhaps beat the O’s at their own game. If we instead sit back and soak up their pressure with the intent of attacking on the counter (e.g. like most visitors to Brisbane Road) we won’t take any points on St David’s Day; which might belong to an Irish David and not Joe. I think WHCS resembling a paddy field might prove to be a benefit if it has given our favourite Irishman opportunity to see what I did. He may tactically do it differently; but I reckon having 'vincelot' doesn't mean 'invicible'.

[Post edited 29 Jan 2014 9:08]
Mooney ........"he was once shi%^ and is now alright...." on 20:37 - Jan 29 with 291 viewsBFG

Nice review Noah. I am sure OhOriOri will have his own opinions too. Will anyone be after the aforementioned speedsters before the end of January ..?
Mooney ........"he was once shi%^ and is now alright...." on 21:28 - Jan 29 with 282 viewswessex_exile

Did you see any Shrews fans there then Noah? I'd imagine at least some were already at or very near Colchester when the match was eventually abandoned?

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Mooney ........"he was once shi%^ and is now alright...." on 23:25 - Jan 29 with 273 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Personally I always quite liked Mooney and thought he was given a bit of a rough ride here. Lisbie may be getting on a bit but in his day he was a pretty quick striker and could still show a clean pair of heels to most League One defenders now!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024