Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The U's "Glass Ceiling".....can we bust it? 09:37 - Mar 13 with 381 viewsnoah4x4

As a relative newcomer (e.g. local resident and season ticket holder for merely eleven years) the annual pessimism expressed by some U’s fans has always appeared strange to me.

So I decided to delve into our club’s promotion and relegation history for any clues as to why the outlook of so many is often “half empty” rather than “half full”; somewhat contrary to the psychology of most footie fans. The historic data is revealing;

1937-38 Joined Southern League
1938-39 Southern League Champions
1949-50 Southern League runner-up (lost title on goal average)
1950-51 Elected to Football League Division Three South
1958-59 Placed in Division Three upon re-organisation
1961 Relegated to Division Four
1961-62 Football League Division Four runner-up
Promoted to Division Three
1965 Relegated to Division Four
1965-66 Promoted to Division Three (on goal average x2)
1968 Relegated to Division Four
1973-74 Promoted to Division Three
1976 Relegated to Division Four
1976-77 Promoted to Division Three
1981 Relegated to Division Four
1986-87 Not promoted after play-offs
1990 Relegated to Conference
1990-91 Conference runner-up
1991-92 Conference Champions, and promoted to Football League
1992-93 Division Four re-designated Division Three
1995-96 Not promoted after play-offs
1997-98 Promoted to Division Two after play-offs
2004-05 Football League Division Two renamed "League One"
2005-06 Football League One runner-up
Promoted to Championship
2008 Relegated to League One

Within the life time of (let's say) the more mature current U’s supporters (e.g.; since our admission to the FL in 1950) NO team has a WORSE record of yo-yoing between ONLY the Third and Fourth Tiers (with merely a brief flirtation with the Conference or Second tier). It's like a game of snakes and ladders.

So I delved deeper into this. You will have to trust me here with the underlying data as it would require too lengthy a blog to justify all statements below….

The facts are that since 1958-59 (e.g. the first league restructure after which true comparisons can be made); hence 55 seasons (excluding the current);

The U’s have achieved a top SIX finish on 15 occasions in ANY division. Given that is in 27% (of 55) seasons, one can see how people perceive that we quite frequently had “something to play for” (but that’s also been about avoiding relegation in far more seasons - see below!).

The more incomprehensible data is that until our promotion to the Championship in 2005-06 the U’s had only once previously achieved a top six finish whilst in the THIRD TIER (1979-80).

Ah ha; so I suspect here is the 'Glass Ceiling'; that invisible barrier that we can’t seem to get above. It's called "mid table third tier mediocrity". So why does anybody (other than the always inspiringly optimistic Durham Exile) expect us to be pushing for a Division One play-off place in modern times where financial fair play dominates and restricts the minnows on low gates?

The U’s have achieved a top half of the table finish across all divisions (including within the top 6 data as above) on 36 occasions since 1958-59; which; expressed as a ratio (over 55 seasons) is a healthy 65%.

But why does anybody automatically expect a top half of the table THIRD TIER finish (or higher) when we have only broken through that 'glass ceiling' upon merely 11 occasions in the last FIFTY FIVE SEASONS. A top half finish in Division One (or better) is evidently ambitious for the typical U's team.

So have we been “spoilt rotten”; having achieved that in FIVE of the last seven seasons; yet look how many have moaned at the incumbent managers! Most of these seasons have been away from Layer Road too! Here; I could rest my case; but as it's not a brief-case; I will go on....

We have now been in the third tier of the Football league (Division One) or higher; hence punching above our weight (and above financial muscle) for TWELVE consecutive seasons.

There can be no doubt this is THE most successful period in our history when measured by league table position. Our longest previous tenure in the Third Tier (or above) was a measly three seasons. So all those “glory promotion years” that people still harp on about in the 1960’s and 1970’s were always tinged with fairly prompt disappointment.

Given the historic evidence of such regular struggles to avoid defeats in the THIRD Tier and hence relegation from it; one can perhaps see why some hanker for lower (Fourth Tier) ‘glory’ days where we might witness the U’s winning > 40% of games playing attacking football with freedom and abandon. But hang on a minute; the facts are that since 1958 the U’s spent 24 seasons in the fourth tier and only ever won more than 40% of matches in 14 of those!

IMHO, we are now within a period of massive change; with new thinking; a new style and investment in the Academy etc. I personally feel that we are, at last, potentially building something that may possibly become SUSTAINABLE; hence help us consolidate in the THIRD TIER and perhaps one day even push forward. So I end by saying good luck to Joe Dunne; do ignore the critics; focus only on facts.

Up the mighty; a magnificent effort if we EVER get into the top half of Division One; Us.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2014 16:45]
The U's "Glass Ceiling".....can we bust it? on 12:32 - Mar 13 with 356 viewsthrillseeker

noah 4x4

You have too much time on your hands but I congratulate you on this summary
The U's "Glass Ceiling".....can we bust it? on 13:06 - Mar 13 with 350 viewsBarsidepete

The U's "Glass Ceiling".....can we bust it? on 12:32 - Mar 13 by thrillseeker

noah 4x4

At first glance I read "congratulate you on this misery"

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

The U's "Glass Ceiling".....can we bust it? on 14:27 - Mar 13 with 342 viewsburnsieespana

Great info Noah.
We all love our club in some shape or form and want the very best.
I for one, after supporting us for 60 years don't hanker after the Championship ( how I enjoyed that first season) or Div 3 ( old 4) or the Conference want us to simply stay in Div 2.
The investment in the Acadamy will come good and always seen last and this season as "hang on in somehow" seasons.
The U's "Glass Ceiling".....can we bust it? on 16:30 - Mar 13 with 338 viewsnoah4x4

The U's "Glass Ceiling".....can we bust it? on 12:32 - Mar 13 by thrillseeker

noah 4x4

I spent a lifetime in the strategic end of "Marketing". Now retired (early), I do have loads of time on my hands to analyse available data and identify the cause and effect of situations; and now only upon fun stuff.......and usually end up boring the pants off folk!
The U's on 16:54 - Mar 13 with 331 viewsnoah4x4

Brilliant news today too...

The U18s have made the Area Final of Youth Alliance League Cup beating Watford.

Now let's start being optimistic about the future; hence support the First XI and help them hang on within Division One until these excellent largely home grown boys mature.
[Post edited 13 Mar 2014 16:54]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024