Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! 21:19 - Apr 4 with 1344 viewsdurham_exile

JD prepares a threadbare squad for the relegation battle with troubled Tranmere Rovers. With Rovers boss Ronnie Moore suspended on allegations of who knows what, John McMahon readies the Rovers players for the latest game at the WHCS.

Marcus bean is unfit, Brian Wilson and Craig Eastmond are both suspended, Sanchez “sick note” Watt is injured (again), Macaulay Bonne is injured, Sesay has returned to Leicester (and who can blame him) and we are struggling to field a squad of 18 players.

Now last week at Meadow Lane we were poor, Wednesday at London Road we were worse.

We are right in the relegation mire and the team is struggling.

6 games left to salvage survival for another year:

Tranmere H
Stevenage A
Oldham H
Crewe A
Brentford H
Walsall A

We need 9 points from the 18 on offer to be absolutely certain of survival. Frankly this dismal state of affairs is not good enough this season after the shocking displays that we witnessed last year.

The ultimate game at Brunton Park certainly brought the best out of the U’s last year, we have sadly lost that impetus and commitment to the cause since January 18th this year.

JD could line up something like this:

Walker

Wynter Magnus Eastman Dickson

Wright (David)

Vose Gilbey

Massey Sears

Ibehre

Subs:

Cousins, Olufemi, Szmodics, Morrison, Wright (Drey) plus a.n.other……..

JD stated that because Watt’s injury was manageable he would not pursue another striker. Too late now! We do not know when Sanchez Watt will return, but he is a big miss for the team and for our survival hopes.

It is a severe understatement to consider tomorrow’s game a six pointer, it is quite simply a must win and anything less means we could be playing at Braintree next year, but worse, Scummend could replace us in league one.

We are losing matches, failing to score goals and looking a poor outfit. Momentum has been lost and injuries to key players are taking its toll on morale and the results are getting worse.

The next four games are vital, but I am already thinking that the Bescot could produce another must win to stay up scenario.

I make no apology for the tone and content of this pre match write up. It is time for the manager and the players to step up to the plate and be counted.

A win, however achieved, is the only result that we need tomorrow.

The time for action is now.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 07:33 - Apr 5 with 1320 viewsnoah4x4

Durham, mathematically I reckon we should not need 9 points. No way is 52 necessary. In the history of (new) Division One typically 51 has been enough, and it has been as low as 48, and this season is similar to the latter. The top teams have already (and will in future) take such a massive percentage of the points, it might even be as low as 47. Remember too that our goal difference means its +1 for all others to overtake us. Others in danger have to play these top teams (we must play Brentford too); so should drop loads of points.

When chased by a hungry lion (relegation) we don't have to outrun it. We only have to outrun our (four) slowest pals. Whatever the final safety target, we already have a four points advantage today (with GD). That's then six over one of the bottom two (as you can't get five from two games unless you win twice

Now take a look at the other fixtures not involving the U's. Today, one of Shrewsbury v Stevenage must drop 3 points or both must drop 2. So whatever our result we will hold the same advantage over one at 1700; and it then will have one fewer games to catch up. If the bottom two sides draw; even better for us (even better still if we win)! Other teams must also play each other and hence they can't all win; so one must always drop three points or both drop two. It's a shame BBC Predictor is no longer available to help demonstrate this.

A U's win (or even a draw) today and if a majority the other results go as the pundits predict (losses or draws) and we will be almost safe. Merely catching up the current deficit of 4 points (inc GD) with just five to play is massive task. A draw in the bottom clash means catching up five points (e.g. if we win and they draw) means six points; hence a must win two from five just to catch up!
Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 08:38 - Apr 5 with 1314 viewsdurham_exile

Noah thanks for that and clearly the situation is still (just) in our own hands.

Remaining Fixtures that matter!

5 Apr
Bradford v Oldham

Brentford v Notts County

Carlisle v Swindon

Colchester v Tranmere

Crawley v Crewe

Shrewsbury v Stevenage

12 Apr
Crewe v Wolves

Notts County v Port Vale

Preston v Carlisle

Stevenage v Colchester

Tranmere v Shrewsbury

15 Apr
Crawley v Tranmere

18 Apr
Carlisle v Walsall

Colchester v Oldham

Gillingham v Tranmere

Shrewsbury v Crewe

Sheff Utd v Stevenage

19 Apr
Bristol City v Notts County

21 Apr
Crewe v Colchester

Notts County v Crawley

Oldham v Coventry

Peterborough v Carlisle

Preston v Shrewsbury

Stevenage v Bristol City

Tranmere v Sheff Utd

26 Apr
Bristol City v Crewe

Carlisle v Oldham

Colchester v Brentford

Leyton Orient v Tranmere

Notts County v Swindon

Shrewsbury v Peterborough

Stevenage v Walsall

29 Apr
Crawley v Carlisle

Oldham v Sheff Utd

3 May
Brentford v Stevenage

Crewe v Preston

Gillingham v Shrewsbury

Oldham v Notts County

Tranmere v Bradford

Walsall v Colchester

Wolves v Carlisle

Regardless we still need 3 points today. The other teams can do their worst to each other, but we still have to pick up sufficient points to be safe.

Progress made this season, definitely not. The recriminations will come later and in fairness the mitigating circumstances; injuries, unable to play a settled team etc but the fact remains that at the business end of the season we are woeful.

Today is vital, a win is so important. Anything else and I can see the U's right in the mire with the other relegation teams snapping at our ankles.

Oldham 40 -12 44
COLCHESTER 40 -11 43
Notts Co 40 -15 40
Tranmere 39 -22 40

Carlisle 39 -22 40
Crewe 40 -28 40
Stevenage 40 -20 39
Shrewsbury 40 -20 39

I will be attending the last three games of the season, we will need to get something at Walsall to be absolutely certain to stay up. The performances at present are simply not good enough. We could have played all night at Meadow Lane without scoring.

Enjoy the match today.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 09:42 - Apr 5 with 1308 viewsnoah4x4

Frankie Kent is added to squad for today as 'cover'. I guess most boarders have never heard of him let alone seen him. I have watched him a fair number of times in the U18's and U21's; so thought I would offer these observations and assurances.

Tall, highly skilful; hard tackling, fast centre back. I reckon potentially the perfect replacement for Magnus when the latter is out of contract. Similarly; O'Donahue has impressed at left full back. My only fear is does Frankie have the mental and physical maturity at this early stage of his development? Circumstances force his inclusion in the squad; but should he feature; he will wear his heart on his sleeve; more so than some current incumbents of a blue & white shirt.
Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 09:55 - Apr 5 with 1303 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The reverse of these final six fixtures netted us seven points, same again would see us okay I reckon. Three points today would be the perfect start.

Up the U's!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 10:35 - Apr 5 with 1295 viewsburnsieespana

How true you are Durham. Don't fully agree with you regarding the Notts County game as was in attendance and I thought we were the better team apart from putting the ball in the net!
Anyway today is vital that we certainlly don't get beaten but unfortunately I do not see any of the fighting spirit we had last year and a defeat would be a complete disaster.
Hopefully somebody will step up to the plate today and we will get a result.
Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 11:12 - Apr 5 with 1294 viewsBluenWightExile

Bit of a worrying thread this as two posters have mentioned that this year's group do not seem to have the required positive mental attitude. Is this the reason for Joe's words this week?
If so it's for management to inspire this surely.
A win is vital today and they would seem to owe that to Joe and the loyal 3000.
Up the U's

Pinault-noir

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 11:43 - Apr 5 with 1287 viewswessex_exile

Chill chaps - we'll win today, and when the dust has settled on the tables we'll be wondering what the worry was. We'll clinch safety next Saturday at Stevenage, and job done with still four to go

Right, I'm off to the chemist to up my meds...

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 11:55 - Apr 5 with 1289 viewsdurham_exile

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 11:43 - Apr 5 by wessex_exile

Chill chaps - we'll win today, and when the dust has settled on the tables we'll be wondering what the worry was. We'll clinch safety next Saturday at Stevenage, and job done with still four to go

Right, I'm off to the chemist to up my meds...

Wessex, that is normally my belief and view, but I have been on the realism pills recently.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 12:08 - Apr 5 with 1283 viewsBluenWightExile

Exactly Durham - I've been trying to keep off em and use the logic of Dr Noah - but it's not really working and it doesn't feel like we have progressed in 2013-14.
But Wessex is confident so I'm relying on him today!!

Pinault-noir

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 13:47 - Apr 5 with 1263 viewswessex_exile

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 12:08 - Apr 5 by BluenWightExile

Exactly Durham - I've been trying to keep off em and use the logic of Dr Noah - but it's not really working and it doesn't feel like we have progressed in 2013-14.
But Wessex is confident so I'm relying on him today!!

Haha - no pressure there then

Up the U's

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 15:47 - Apr 5 with 1255 viewswessex_exile

SEARS!!!!

Finally a reward for our pressure and dominance! Pity it's only the equaliser, but good timing to go in at half time level!

Up the U's

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 17:16 - Apr 5 with 1248 viewsdurham_exile

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 15:47 - Apr 5 by wessex_exile

SEARS!!!!

Finally a reward for our pressure and dominance! Pity it's only the equaliser, but good timing to go in at half time level!

Well another must win game becomes a very disappointing defeat.

Results could not have gone any worse today either!

Still in our hands, but dare I say the game at Stevenage next week is another must win!!!!

Saddle up for the Bescot and another last game survival in the Colchester dance with relegation saga.

Up the depleted and shell shocked U's

Durham_exile

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 20:41 - Apr 5 with 1183 viewsPaddyA140

Playing in our kit obviously did Tranmere no harm. Grrrr...!

Akpro was the MOTM, Jabo was ours IMO. Fon Williams might have been had we tested him in the second half.

Weird that we dominated first half yet came out poorer in the second. Tranmere don't look like a side who should be where they are in the league, but sadly we did if you bear in mind the home advantage. Joe Dunne was downcast but fair in his assessment - but couldn't seem to explain the weak second half performance. Did the players think they'd done enough to get it back to 1-1?

More massive games to come. I went straight round to the ticket office and bought mine for Oldham.

Up the U's
Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 22:01 - Apr 5 with 1162 viewsnoah4x4

This is a game that we dominated for 60 minutes and were a bit unfortunate to concede against the run of play. We really should have been out of sight by half time with a Jabo hat-trick. Overall 19 shots (to their 11) with 6 on target. But we don't seem to be able to put the ball in the net. Second half we simply seemed lost.

One thing really worried me. For the first and only time this season, I thought Joe Dunne lost the plot. With Wilson suspended, (shortish) right back Tosin Olefumi looked a bit overwhelmed at times by the high ball pumped forward and hence Massey went to full back and Tosin thrust forward. At half time; Tosin was replaced by Watt and Massey (a forward) remained at full back (how odd?). Later; David Wright was withdrawn and loanee Wynter went to full back and Massey reverted to his usual more advanced role. This just seemed like a waste of substitutions to me; and Wynter (who had a decent game) should have been on earlier; but it's always easier with hindsight.

Still plenty of opportunity at Stevenage; Oldham (home) and Crewe to get out of this; and we are far from relegated. Our rivals have some very hard fixtures and against each other. But if we don't win at bottom Stevenage; even I am resigned to the drop and maybe the might be no bad thing. We evidently can't compete at Division One level; and it is perhaps better we have a shake out than suffer ever more pain.
Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 06:11 - Apr 6 with 1127 viewsthrillseeker

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 22:01 - Apr 5 by noah4x4

This is a game that we dominated for 60 minutes and were a bit unfortunate to concede against the run of play. We really should have been out of sight by half time with a Jabo hat-trick. Overall 19 shots (to their 11) with 6 on target. But we don't seem to be able to put the ball in the net. Second half we simply seemed lost.

One thing really worried me. For the first and only time this season, I thought Joe Dunne lost the plot. With Wilson suspended, (shortish) right back Tosin Olefumi looked a bit overwhelmed at times by the high ball pumped forward and hence Massey went to full back and Tosin thrust forward. At half time; Tosin was replaced by Watt and Massey (a forward) remained at full back (how odd?). Later; David Wright was withdrawn and loanee Wynter went to full back and Massey reverted to his usual more advanced role. This just seemed like a waste of substitutions to me; and Wynter (who had a decent game) should have been on earlier; but it's always easier with hindsight.

Still plenty of opportunity at Stevenage; Oldham (home) and Crewe to get out of this; and we are far from relegated. Our rivals have some very hard fixtures and against each other. But if we don't win at bottom Stevenage; even I am resigned to the drop and maybe the might be no bad thing. We evidently can't compete at Division One level; and it is perhaps better we have a shake out than suffer ever more pain.

Noah - your last paragraph is a concern as it would appear you are resigned to relegation.

I, still think we will stay up provided we get 5pts

Ideally 6pts would be better with 2 victories against our rivals Stevenage and Crewe.

However this is how I see it

Stevenage - avoid defeat - 1pt
Oldham -victory - 3pts
Crewe -avoid defeat -1pt
Brentford - can't see us getting anything from this game
Walsall - will depend on circumstances so no comment just yet

I do see another end of season scenario like last season where we will need a positive result to stay in Division 3.

The one consolation is that Walsall is a lot nearer than Carlisle. A definite train trip so plenty of celebratory drinks can be had on way home
Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 08:47 - Apr 6 with 1117 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I'm with thrillseeker.

Got to keep believing. Notts County just won three in a row, we can do the same, just need to win on Saturday and then push on from there.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 09:59 - Apr 6 with 1107 viewsdurham_exile

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 08:47 - Apr 6 by RSCOSWORTH

I'm with thrillseeker.

Got to keep believing. Notts County just won three in a row, we can do the same, just need to win on Saturday and then push on from there.

I don't disagree with the logic RS and three wins and we are safe anyway as I have argued for weeks.

But if we cannot win at Stevenage, then perhaps we do not deserve to be in league 1.

It is still in our hands, but the manner of the defeats is the most disturbing aspect.

Let us be clear, the U's must stay in this division.

Relegation to League 2 will see crowds dwindle further, less income and even less "fish and chip money" to spend on playing staff. Also one bad season and it's back to the Conference. Not an appealing thought.

Worse Scummend could move the other way.

The opposition in league 2 is nowhere near the same quality and it would severely impact upon everything the club are trying to do with the training facility and the aim to return to the Championship and one day increase ground capacity to 18,000 (foundations already will support the additional build). All of this is a long way off but would become even more distant if relegation is considered "acceptable" by some.

I will be at the last three games, Colchester have not had their one really important win this season (normally against the league leaders or a top two team) - Brentford would be the one real surprise which would glean three vital points.

At present though I would take any win and even a 1-0 success at Stevenage would be crucial to our end of season position.

Keep the faith, it is still very much in our hands and I can see the players celebrating at the Bescot after another great escape but we cannot afford to be so poor next season because a third escape will not be on the cards.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 13:07 - Apr 6 with 1083 viewsnoah4x4

No, I am just confident as Durham that we will stay up. But is it a good thing?

I am fed up with wearing my 'colours' and every Tom, Dick and Harry telling me with glee that we are "going down" from as early as 20 games out. Why has this town got so little pride in its football club? It's as though many want a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Maybe 27 managers in 55 years; with 6 since we have been at WHCS says everything. I actually believe in Joe Dunne and the future of our youth policy; but fear that he now won't get chance to conclude the transition; yet Joe has had 50% fewer games than Parky (e.g. that's before the promotion season) who at the same stage of his U's managerial career was also overseeing a rapid slide. We give our politicians four years; and they have control of genuine matters of life & death; so why can't we give our U's football managers more than (on average) two complete seasons?

I have lived all over the country and always followed my "local" lower league teams; Kidderminster; Kendal; Bristol (either); Millwall and Colchester; the latter as a season ticket holder for 12 years; and I have never experienced as much apathy, negativity and pathetic whingeing as inherent in this town. One reason that I love to support this 'message board' is because so many participants are 'exiles' that have moved to sunnier climates (except Durham) and recognise what they have left behind - OUR beloved footie club.

Indeed, I will see some of you at Stevenage, Crewe and Walsall along with the other real supporters; but I am a bit hesitant to join the West Stand whingers for the last game versus Brentford; unless we are already staying up or still have something to play for. But I will have already renewed my season ticket by then; and hopefully the whingers will vanish to Braintree. Nah.....you know I will be there, cheering and clapping....if only to show my respects to Doogie.....and maybe Joe Dunne in what may be their last games. I sincerely hope not as regards Jose; as I suspect Jose Muhrino could do no better on so little money and resources.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2014 13:11]
Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 21:16 - Apr 7 with 981 viewsPaddyA140

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 13:07 - Apr 6 by noah4x4

No, I am just confident as Durham that we will stay up. But is it a good thing?

I am fed up with wearing my 'colours' and every Tom, Dick and Harry telling me with glee that we are "going down" from as early as 20 games out. Why has this town got so little pride in its football club? It's as though many want a self-fulfilling prophesy.

Maybe 27 managers in 55 years; with 6 since we have been at WHCS says everything. I actually believe in Joe Dunne and the future of our youth policy; but fear that he now won't get chance to conclude the transition; yet Joe has had 50% fewer games than Parky (e.g. that's before the promotion season) who at the same stage of his U's managerial career was also overseeing a rapid slide. We give our politicians four years; and they have control of genuine matters of life & death; so why can't we give our U's football managers more than (on average) two complete seasons?

I have lived all over the country and always followed my "local" lower league teams; Kidderminster; Kendal; Bristol (either); Millwall and Colchester; the latter as a season ticket holder for 12 years; and I have never experienced as much apathy, negativity and pathetic whingeing as inherent in this town. One reason that I love to support this 'message board' is because so many participants are 'exiles' that have moved to sunnier climates (except Durham) and recognise what they have left behind - OUR beloved footie club.

Indeed, I will see some of you at Stevenage, Crewe and Walsall along with the other real supporters; but I am a bit hesitant to join the West Stand whingers for the last game versus Brentford; unless we are already staying up or still have something to play for. But I will have already renewed my season ticket by then; and hopefully the whingers will vanish to Braintree. Nah.....you know I will be there, cheering and clapping....if only to show my respects to Doogie.....and maybe Joe Dunne in what may be their last games. I sincerely hope not as regards Jose; as I suspect Jose Muhrino could do no better on so little money and resources.
[Post edited 6 Apr 2014 13:11]

Stirring stuff, Noah. Here I am in Norwich where today's talk is all about whether the new manager will keep them up with room to spare.... or keep them up. Either way, £millions follow. Oh to have that dilemma...!?

Up the U's
Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 09:09 - Apr 13 with 894 viewsthrillseeker

Wirral rubbish - 6 pointer, must win, relegation scrap - take your pick! on 06:11 - Apr 6 by thrillseeker

Noah - your last paragraph is a concern as it would appear you are resigned to relegation.

I, still think we will stay up provided we get 5pts

Ideally 6pts would be better with 2 victories against our rivals Stevenage and Crewe.

However this is how I see it

Stevenage - avoid defeat - 1pt
Oldham -victory - 3pts
Crewe -avoid defeat -1pt
Brentford - can't see us getting anything from this game
Walsall - will depend on circumstances so no comment just yet

I do see another end of season scenario like last season where we will need a positive result to stay in Division 3.

The one consolation is that Walsall is a lot nearer than Carlisle. A definite train trip so plenty of celebratory drinks can be had on way home

2pts ahead of schedule

Looking at remaining fixtures 4pts more will suffice

Roll on 3pts Friday
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024