Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's 2 - 0 Bradford City Noah's View 12:34 - Sep 30 with 587 viewsnoah4x4

You can read a ‘blow by blow’ account in the Gazette. This is the opinion of one fan from the terraces and from the heart…..

Frankly, you might as well read my Swindon report as this game was almost a mirror image of that. Two wonderful first half goals carved out by the U’s impressive forwards by a slick combination of speed, passing and elegance. The only difference was that Bradford City didn’t have the quality of Swindon (or Blades) to trouble us at the back and pull a goal back. Magnifico U’s! So that’s now;

Ten consecutive league games unbeaten at home
(THE best sequence at WHCS)
Four wins on the bounce
(Best win sequence since 2009)
I believe this is the best six month WDL sequence since our promotion year?
(Only three defeats since April — all away)
Eighth in the table……

Isn't it about time that we ALL gave Tony Humes some credit?

I was aghast that the very first thing that I heard after the final whistle (and read today) was that despite the above success; some fans continue to express (a) their continued doubts about Tony Humes; (b) continued criticism of the clubs focus on youth whilst (c) now commenting that it is “the older experienced players that have made the difference” in an I told you so manner. Frankly, I agree with the latter (c); but isn’t hindsight a wonderful thing? This is a plea for everybody to now become positive and truly get behind the team and management. This is my 'spin' on this....

Humes was indeed manager of the U21's, but surely he merely inherited the; (i) passing fluent footballing style and (ii) the Academy/youth philosophy from Cowling and Dunne? I think these are completely different doctrines and wish to debate that fact.

To be fair, few fans had even heard of Humes until his appointment. There were hence reasonable doubts that an internal appointment might not be in the club’s best interest after so many years of strife; but the Chairman/Owner had made the decision that continuity of (i) footballing style was desirable and (IMHO) has subsequently been proved right.

Humes persevered with doctrine (ii); hence had largely only youth to work with for for three months; then he tried to bring in some experience with a bit of success (Gorrks etc.) but had no money or many options in the January transfer window to do much else. He successfully keeps us up with an impressive sequence of results (let's give him praise for that); and has now brought in the ‘experience’ that we need to go forward; which wasn’t possible until the recent transfer/loan window. But surely such ‘experienced’ signings had to be sanctioned by the Chairman/Owner so let’s assign some credit there too? Now Humes is starting to deliver success and (IMHO) deserves our far greater respect.

Humes has rightly (IMHO) persevered with (i) the fluent skilful passing style and we now have a club where from First XI to under 13’s they can handle this more ‘Premier League’ type of game. Our problem for three years has been that our youth teams grasped this faster than the First XI. Is it any wonder that some senior players that didn’t suit this style have gone elsewhere? We are today watching breath-taking entertaining football and seeing some success; so this style of play must be the correct decision once we have the right personnel to deliver it. That change takes time with the transfer window restrictions; but Humes has so far had just a season; by contrast Parkinson had 187 games before achieving promotion (and I saw only one victor last night too).

Yes; it is true that there were only two Academy players in the starting XI last night (merely one at Swindon and Blades). Yes; this has made the difference in recent weeks; with the experienced Garvan; Sordell; Harriott & Jones etc changing our fortunes; but now look at the bench. What a pipeline of talent! Now consider the competition for starting places from our academy prospects that already have First XI experience and will surely become the ';experienced players’ of the future; Gilbey; Bonne; Sembie-Ferris; Harney ; Szmodics; Lapslie, Drey Wright, Odonahue etc. Now is it any surprise that our under 21s are table topping when we can field a team of (albeit youthful) ‘experienced’ First XI players? Our depth and strength of squad will be vital if we are to make further progress from here.

On present form, I doubt if it likely that we will retain Sordell; Harriot; Jones or Moncur beyond this season. Hence we do need a succession plan and a‘pipeline’ that is financially viable and sustainable within the constraints of Financial Fair Play and our diabolical crowds. Before last night we were unbeaten at home for nine league games; had won three on the trot; and yet the apathy in this town for its football club attracted a gate of only 3,334. Why? Is it perhaps because some fans that do attend simply can’t stop moaning? If a true fan, I say it is time to become a missionary and advocate. Then we might get somewhere as regards building the revenues we need to sustain a competitive team.

In summary, it was a bold decision by Cowling to make an internal appointment, but it was not wrong to develop a footballing philosophy that now runs from under 11 to First XI. It was also 100% correct to invest in the Academy and ensure it won Category II status. But it was unfortunate timing that perhaps too many of our Academy players were introduced too soon. The fact that Humes and Cowling have since brought in experience must be testimony to this. But the longer term commitment to invest in youth must be correct. It is conspicuous how the (long absent) Tosin Olefumi, and Kane Vincent Young have beefed-up into ‘men’ (and Gilbey before them); and I would give them MOM in recent games. I believe it’s time for Chairman/Owner; manager and ALL fans to unite in the learning experience of the last three years and in future simply do it “OUR WAY”……together….

I can’t wait for Saturday. David Flitcroft’s men are unbeaten in 14 away. We are unbeaten in 10 at home. So surely something has to give (which explains why I fancy a 2-2 draw in the HGPL)? or might we hit WWWWW?
[Post edited 30 Sep 2015 12:40]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024