Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cricket: Kent v Essex - Wadham Stringer Trophy Final 1982 12:12 - Apr 12 with 317 viewsmfb_cufc

Today should have been the start of crickets County Championship season, but that has now been put back to 28th May at the earliest. As there are a number of cricket enthusiasts on this board I thought it would be good to have a cricket fix. There are loads of videos about Essex cricket on YouTube, nearly all showing highlights of games over past seasons, but the one I found intriguing was the title of this thread.

I had never heard of the sponsors Wadham Stringer, so after a bit of investigation I found they were a company making ambulances, buses and coaches based in Waterlooville, Hampshire. As for the Wadham Stringer Trophy, it apparently only lasted for that one season. The tournament was played indoors at The Brighton Centre in the April of that year. It was seven-a-side, 12 overs per innings, with 3 maximum per bowler. The scoring system is explained in the video by the host Fred Dinenage, of ‘How’ fame. It was shown on Television South's Friday Sports Show.

I found it weirdly compulsive, and Graham Gooch's irreverent interview at the end was hilarious.

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024