Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's fail to end Galpharm hoodoo, but not for the want of trying 23:43 - Aug 20 with 429 viewsdurham_exile

I have unfortunately never seen the U's win at Huddersfield and today at half time I started to believe that we could finally end that hoodoo, but ultimately it wasn't to be.

The fact is that unlucky U’s deserved at least a point at the Galpharm today.

Ultimately a foot injury to Michail Antonio proved to be the turning point and although he appeared for the second half it was obvious that he could not run and so was replaced by young Ben Coker before the second half kicked off.

Sadly this substitution changed the whole complexion of the match because Colchester had bossed the first half and were deservedly in front after a superb goal from Kayode Odejayi and the excellent Antonio who was a thorn in the Terriers side for the first 45 minutes. He gave us the width and his pace frightened the Huddersfield defence.

Unfortunately Coker never got into the game second half and the intelligent left wing play dried up allowing only sporadic attacks. An injury to Magnus also proved costly although Johnny White was excellent for the last few minutes of the match.

Gillespie had to sit in frustration whilst the substitutes were used on midfield and defenders following injuries. Although I am of the belief that were it not for Antonio’s injury we would have won the game.

For much of the first half and some of the second the Galpharm resembled a library with only the faithful from Colchester in good voice. In truth we looked comfortable at 2-1 and unfortunately a disallowed goal for offside prevented a two goal cushion which we deserved at the interval.

It wasn’t to be and when Rhodes hit a spectacular equaliser the crowd at last came to life and when Novak dinked the ball over the outstanding Cousins, you would have thought that they had won the league. Equally after the odious Clark had brought on two defenders to kill the game there was much home relief when the final whistle blew.

So back to back defeats and although I left the stadium disappointed again, the quality of much of the U’s football suggest that we can challenge at the business end of the table.

When Andy Bond is fully fit and if we can extend the loan of Antonio then the results will come.

Moan of the day - The Huddersfield manager is one of those characters that you love to hate. Last season he tried the Mancini look complete with scarf, today a suit which was replaced with an additional layer in the form of a coat in the second half. The guy is never still and seems to instil fear into the players rather than encouraging them. Ok I know that they have a 29 game unbeaten league record (they lost the one game that really counted of course) but Clark is a real pain in the proverbial.

And can John Ward stop being such a nice guy and giving the opposition too much respect. He does not need to shake each of the opposition player’s hands as they leave the field at the end of the game. We would rather he had joined the Colchester players saluting the faithful in the quaintly named Pink Link stand.

Come on John, focus on Colchester.

So disappointment tonight but we will play a lot worse and win this season. Hopefully starting next saturday

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024