Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Steven Gillespie 00:42 - Oct 30 with 367 viewsdurham_exile

So once again Stevie G starts a game for Colchester only to be hit by his injury curse after 23 minutes. He must have walked under a lot of ladders and injured a lot of black cats in a previous life.

Since signing for Colchester in July 2008 he has started 32 games and made a further 52 substitute appearances scoring a total of 18 goals.

This record is desperately sad for a footballer who scored goals for fun in Liverpool reserves and promised much more at Cheltenham.

Colchester parted with £400,000 for his services, but he has only shown glimpses of what he is capable of during the most wretched injury prone last three years.

Now he faces further time on the physio table and will be unlikely to play again this side of Christmas.

Ironically when I have seen him play he has displayed (in small quantities) an ability to change games and salvage valuable points. The problem is this has happened on so woefully few occasions. He has earned the infamous nickname "sicknote" and must rival Darren Anderton for this dubious honour.

Sad for Stevie G and sad for Colchester. However we now once again have a strike force of one player.

John Ward must now sign someone initially on loan. I am not going to reprise the 25 players that we have failed to sign since the summer. Suffice to say action must be taken and quickly.

Options, a premier league or championship reserve striker, promote one of our Colchester reserve strikers or make an audacious bid for Scunny's Chris Dagnall who I believe would be the perfect partner to play alongside Kayode Odejayi.

More importantly with the service that he would receive at Colchester he would comfortably score 20 goals per season.

Whilst Stevie G is recuperating, John Ward has a quick decision to make.

4-4-2 works, bring in another striker and lets close the gap on the top six (it's down to 5 points now).

Get well Stevie.

Get your finger out John.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024