Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
More encouragement from U's 19:05 - Jul 21 with 1213 viewsnoah4x4

Despite a narrow defeat, the U's put up a credible performance against West Ham. Indeed, for the first twenty minutes, you would have thought the U's were the Premier League side as the home side confidently knocked the ball around.

However, an error out wide on about 16 minutes saw the U's clinically punished (as one would expect from a top tier side). Then a clumsy tackle by J J O'Toole led to a penalty. However, other than these two incidents, West Ham didn't look remotely dangerous. By contrast, the U's always looked threatening and deservedly got back into the game shortly before HT.

Both sides played excellent football in the second half, but the defences nullified the others attack. The U's had a decent penalty shout declined and hit a post. A 2:2 draw would have been a fair result.

The South Stand was rocking throughout and most U's fans I know left thinking that we may be on the brink of something special - if only a return to the style of football that the majority wish to see.

A crowd of nearly 8,000, with over 5,000 in the U's home stands (although a fair number of claret shirts were in the South and Family Enclosure). Maybe this, and a good result against Ipswich will bring the fans back?

More encouragement from U's on 05:47 - Jul 22 with 1185 viewsdurham_exile

Noah good stuff, sounds positive.

I read attendance 7,985 with 2,960 from East London.

What about the performances from the new lads - Bean, Morrison, Sears.

JW played 20 players during the course of the afternoon, what about the youngsters, ready to step up to league one.

Has fat Sam got any fatter.

Cracking day weather wise.

up the U's

Durham_exile

More encouragement from U's on 12:00 - Jul 22 with 1166 viewsnoah4x4

Durham, everybody accredited themselves pretty well, including the youngsters.

Cousins was very brave on a couple of occasions where I reckon Williams might have been hesitant. I have every confidence in Mark on this showing.

Back four (both halves) looked very solid, except for one uncharacteristic mistake by Eastman leading to first goal. In a league game, I suspect he would have hoofed it away from danger rather than get caught in possession.

Sears and Bean were excellent. Morrison received and held the ball well, but didn't look fully match fit to me. However, he did look more intelligent than Odejayi with the ball at his feet. Once fully fit, think he will be a asset.

Rose did his usual, advanced up the pitch and then got caught out of position on a couple of occasions. I didn't quite understand this tactic when (first half) left full back Ben Coker had already been pushed forward. It's true that Rose is probably at his best when going forward, so why not play him ahead of Coker rather than the reverse? Coker is clearly the better left sided defender - but with Woody and Sanderson fit, Rose wouldn't even make my bench. This was the only odd thing that troubled me, but then I guess JW does need to experiment with formations in pre-season.

Overall, a hugely entertaining game, and frankly, one I didn't mind us losing. Talking to some West Hams fans after, they said they enjoyed it more than many league games last season as both sides set out to entertain the crowd. I would much prefer to be entertained and lose than be bored and draw.

Hopefully, the players will maintain this style of play, and no reason why not, as I perceive our newcomers have injected a higher standard of ball skills than those outgoing (Odejayi, James, Vincent etc). However, fear a bit for West Ham in the Prem as they may struggle....or is it that the U's have just upped their game???!!!

More encouragement from U's on 12:18 - Jul 23 with 1129 viewsdurham_exile

More encouragement from U's on 12:00 - Jul 22 by noah4x4

Durham, everybody accredited themselves pretty well, including the youngsters.

Cousins was very brave on a couple of occasions where I reckon Williams might have been hesitant. I have every confidence in Mark on this showing.

Back four (both halves) looked very solid, except for one uncharacteristic mistake by Eastman leading to first goal. In a league game, I suspect he would have hoofed it away from danger rather than get caught in possession.

Sears and Bean were excellent. Morrison received and held the ball well, but didn't look fully match fit to me. However, he did look more intelligent than Odejayi with the ball at his feet. Once fully fit, think he will be a asset.

Rose did his usual, advanced up the pitch and then got caught out of position on a couple of occasions. I didn't quite understand this tactic when (first half) left full back Ben Coker had already been pushed forward. It's true that Rose is probably at his best when going forward, so why not play him ahead of Coker rather than the reverse? Coker is clearly the better left sided defender - but with Woody and Sanderson fit, Rose wouldn't even make my bench. This was the only odd thing that troubled me, but then I guess JW does need to experiment with formations in pre-season.

Overall, a hugely entertaining game, and frankly, one I didn't mind us losing. Talking to some West Hams fans after, they said they enjoyed it more than many league games last season as both sides set out to entertain the crowd. I would much prefer to be entertained and lose than be bored and draw.

Hopefully, the players will maintain this style of play, and no reason why not, as I perceive our newcomers have injected a higher standard of ball skills than those outgoing (Odejayi, James, Vincent etc). However, fear a bit for West Ham in the Prem as they may struggle....or is it that the U's have just upped their game???!!!

Noah many thanks, greatly appreciated because I am unable to get to as many home games as I would like.

Particularly like the younger players showing well, bodes well for the season.

Can Sears and Morrison form a strike partnership, I hope so.

I know it was a friendly but what was the formation, 4-5-1 or 4-4-2

Up the U's

Durham_exile

More encouragement from U's on 18:58 - Jul 23 with 1113 viewsnoah4x4

More encouragement from U's on 12:18 - Jul 23 by durham_exile

Noah many thanks, greatly appreciated because I am unable to get to as many home games as I would like.

Particularly like the younger players showing well, bodes well for the season.

Can Sears and Morrison form a strike partnership, I hope so.

I know it was a friendly but what was the formation, 4-5-1 or 4-4-2

Up the U's

Er....scratches head...

Once they had kicked off in the first half (a line up which might have suggested 4-4-2 albeit for 30 seconds), I am not sure if it was 4-2-4 or 4-6-0 or even 4-3-3. Let's say we had similar forward fluidity to that at Heybridge!

Clinton Morrison isn't quite the normal Goliath target man that we have employed in the past(Odejayi, Iwelumu etc.), and with the other 'forwards' it was slick movement, slick passing, and rotation up front. We looked super.

Second half, with loads of changes, understandably, far more conventional 4-4-2.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024