Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
U's 1 -1 Carlisle - Noah's View 10:07 - Aug 24 with 1135 viewsnoah4x4

You only need look at the (BBC) statistics to understand why Carlisle have a goal difference of minus 12 and the U’s (perhaps briefly) have a top four place; now unbeaten in four games; but having scored only four goals.

U’s Carlisle
22 Shots 11
8 on target 5
14 Corners 5

I don’t think I have ever seen the U’s so dominant at WHCS; but why can’t we translate the wonderful fluent football that we are now playing into more venomous shots on target and goals? 8 on target from a phenomenal 22 shots isn’t a bad ratio; but in truth; few troubled the visiting goalkeeper; and we could so easily have lost; against the run of play and natural justice.

Interestingly; the statistics suggest Carlisle had 49% possession. That can only indicate how much time was wasted with the ball in goalkeeper Gillespie’s hands; or whilst a Carlisle defender feigned injury or some other misdemeanour. Given the flurry of U’s bookings for time wasting last week; such inconsistent refereeing makes no sense. The U’s were by far the better side and dominated possession and it was only the home side that captured the interest of any neutrals that may have been present.

We were un-Dunne by a defensive lapse in the fourth minute which led to an outstanding shot (why can't we hit strikes like that?) and throughout the match by a tactical issue that MUST be resolved. The pun is deliberate. Joe; the combination of Okuonghae and Wilson is becoming far too prone to errors. I am probably being far too harsh on Brian; but Magnus is becoming a definite liability; and attackers seem to escape too easily from him, notably at set pieces.

But on a positive defensive note; With Dickson absent ill, Tosin Olefumi switched flanks in John White style (but with far more skill and flair) and despite obvious attempts by the visitors to target and overwhelm his youth he stood firm. Tom Eastman was at his best too. Whilst retaining his no nonsense approach to defending; Tom has at last fully adapted to the fluent ‘on the deck’ football we now favour; and is fast rising as arguably our most vital asset.

But the big tactical worry for me is that whilst the newspapers might suggest a formation like 4-2-3-1 (n.b. I am not quite sure what it is; against Peterborough I thought 4-2-2-2!); there is rarely the forward “1”. We seem to be playing four defenders; one defensive midfielder (David Wright or Bean) and then five midfielders; with nobody actually leading the line.; even after late game substitutions.

It is wonderful to watch our approach play with the front five swirling like a flock of starlings on an autumn evening. It’s also good (in theory) to have any one of four playing the main striking role; but this is not leading to a flurry of goals. We always seem to end up in fine attacking positions with the ball under full control in the opposition corners; then nobody in the middle (hence rarely a ‘cross from the bye-line’); and the ball then has to go back towards the half way line whilst we probe again. It is tactically fast; fluent; then STOPS on the edge of the penalty area because most Division One defences are too well organised.

This perhaps isn’t anything to do with our personnel that are all very skilful. It is simply that nobody seems to be taking the responsibility as the primary front runner. Jabo runs his heart and legs off; but still plays as if a midfielder and more often as not ends up wide. Then; we are reliant on Massey and Watt to come inside; but instead they (albeit competently) remain available for the midfield pass. Sears also always seems to me to be too deep. I lost count of the number of times the U's were rampaging out of defence and one cutting through ball to a swift attacker right down the middle might have been decisive; but to whom? It is as thought we want to walk the ball into the net.

I would like to see Sears given a free; more traditional Jimmy Greaves or Gary Lineker (goal poacher) type role; or maybe we do need a new 20 a season striker? In theory, Morrison fits the bill; but not in practice.

Overall, my opinion is that this U's team; and its manager; is on the brink of greatness; subject to the resolving central defence (Magnus) and a tad more clarity in attack. The latter just needs one of our front four to say “keep feeding the ball to my feet and I aim to score” instead of dancing to the tune of “let’s do a neat one-two and go round in neat circles to nowhere”. Our fleet of foot cavalry down the flanks are superb; but we need one more bit of more artillery in the middle. That is more likely to be Sears than Jabo; but will Freddie take the responsibility if given to him? This is not to say that Jabo shouldn't play; simply that he is an excellent ball winner; and we need runners feeding off him; and not the reverse.

With no U's game today; off to Orient to see the U's exiles/discards (Lisbie; Mooney; Rowlands; James etc) that are apparently playing superbly now free from John Ward/Boothroyd/Lambert influence. Will see them again next week. Up the mighty U's.
[Post edited 24 Aug 2013 10:41]
U's 1 -1 Carlisle - Noah's View on 12:24 - Aug 24 with 1105 viewsFruitbat

Frustrating that we couldn't convert our very obvious superiority into a second goal and the win that the performance deserved.

First half was a little disappointing in that we gave the visitors something to hang on to and thats exactly what they did, very effectively it must be said with everyone behind the ball, allowing us to play infront of them but with us perhaps lacking the nous to break them down. Second half must be one of the best halves of football we've played in years.

Next weekend will be interesting. One suspects that Orient will turn up with considerably more attacking intent than Carlisle did and that should allow more space for us to play in higher up the pitch and not just play attack v defence. Looking forward to it.
U's 1 -1 Carlisle - Noah's View on 23:58 - Aug 25 with 1050 viewsdurham_exile

Noah - many thanks for the match report.

I have not seen a home match yet this season, but was at the Blades game.

Before the season I predicted promotion for the U's (this season) and have seen nothing to change my mind.

Now 8 points from 4 games is promotion form and I'm not going to get too downbeat about a lack of goals, because we are scoring in every game.

The formation 4,2,3,1 is one favoured by a number of clubs this season. Probably more 4,5,1 away from home but with Ibehre, Sears and Watt we have three quality strikers.

Watt and Eastmond are already showing what they are capable of (again) and with the excellent David Wright (who is in sparkling form) we can and will unlock most defences.

Last season Carlisle would have secured a 1-0 win at WHCS, but this season we are made of sterner stuff.

Where we appear to differ is in defence; I have no problem with Magnus and Wilson whilst you wish to see more youth from the start of the season. There is plenty of time to develop Pappoe, but is Josh Thompson better than Magnus or Eastman? Further up the field JD is sensibly limiting Drey Wright and Alex Gilbey and has loaned out Freddie Ladapo (AKA Danny Welbeck).

JD knows that over a 60 game season (a decent FA Cup run is long overdue and the JPT also) there will be plenty of chances for the squad players to get their opportunities to shine.

Let us see where we are after 10 games and we will know by that stage whether we can maintain a top six position.

Early days but time for great optimism and much to look forward to.

In the meantime Up the U's

Durham_exile

U's 1 -1 Carlisle - Noah's View on 15:50 - Aug 26 with 1026 viewsBarsidepete

I'm concerned about the last two draws because this feels like a pattern in the making.

No visible firepower.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

U's 1 -1 Carlisle - Noah's View on 17:47 - Aug 27 with 979 viewsnoah4x4

Pete;

The problem I perceive we have is that we have loads of potential fire power; indeed we have five awesome midfielders up front; and others on the bench; but nobody is taking responsibility AS THE STRIKER.

We are brilliant in our approach work and when buzzing around opposition penalty boxes. But nobody is getting any ambitious longer shots on target (unlike that amazing Carlisle strike) and nobody is gambling early enough to get in the box.

I think Joe Dunne wants everybody to 'lead the line' when in a position to do so; whilst others cover; and all are hesitant because they fear getting out of wide position or unable to help a colleague out. We are hence trying to walk the ball into the net.

I think Freddie Sears need to be told; be ambitious; don't keep coming deep to fetch it; get in the box more often and YOU take the responsibility as the goal poacher.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024