Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rotherham 2 - 2 Colchester. Noah's View 11:05 - Nov 3 with 451 viewsnoah4x4

It was the first day of ‘high visibility’ balls; but on 83 minutes nobody in the ground saw this result coming. I can’t disagree with Miller’s boss Steve Evans (BBC) quote; "We've battered them, we've absolutely battered them from start to finish”.

But to win games; concentration is essential until the end; as the U’s recently learned to their cost with two points dropped against Walsall. Rotherham has a high crime rate; and the salvage of a late point stolen by the U’s should arguably be added to the local ‘smash & grab’ data. Let’s be humble, we were fortunate.

So what changed on 83 minutes? In my opinion it was combining Macca Bonne with ‘Super-sub’ Sammie Szmodics to give the U’s their only ten minutes of overwhelming attacking force or dominance. We looked a completely different team once the fresh legs and the enthusiasm of these youngsters entered the fray; since up until that point……(you can read a blow by blow account elsewhere; so I will focus on this (single) fans perspective)...... Maybe Durham and Gerry US can enhance....

A great start; Rotherham caught dozing and punished by Bean. Once again; the U’s take a promising lead that we then can’t hold; but at least we did get a second goal; in a performance that had many parallels with Bristol City away; where we were similarly “battered”. The difference here was that the Robins only started to fire in the second half. Here; the Millers dominated between minutes 10 to 80.

I have mentioned before my concerns over Jeff Monakana’s low defensive work rate and capacity (e.g. read Anthony Wordsworth). Here it was in clear evidence; as he repeatedly failed to pedal back and help close down his midfield flank; so leaving Brian Wilson exposed to two or more oncoming attackers. Similarly; Eastmond and Bean once again conspired to lose the ball far too often with the U’s over committed. We were being stretched wide as if we had only ten men (we perhaps did have as regards the work rate of the midfield). It wasn’t a surprise to me that a sector of the fans were chanting for Andy Bond to help shore things up; and both Monakana (52’ Bonne) and Eastmond (59’ Bond) were rightly withdrawn; later followed by Bean (83’ Szmodics).

Multiple dangerous crosses came in and although Cian Bolger suffered criticism from some sectors of the faithful for missing vital headers from which the Millers punished us; I don’t think that was entirely fair. It was a horrible swirling wind and much easier to run forward onto the ball than to defend from a back pedalling back four position. Our defensive problem started in MIDFIELD; and although he was an unused sub on the day; I can see Joe Dunne’s logic in signing Dominic Vose.

We were under so much constant pressure that Clinton Morrison and Elliott Lee looked like a powder puff striking combination. If they got the ball in any advanced position; they always were outnumbered and had too much to do with any effective support too detached. The Millers were then fast on the break; and could have scored four or more.

Then Joe Dunne gambled; with nothing to lose. On 83 minutes; it was Morrison into midfield (where he had already spent most of his afternoon!); substitute Szmodics wide; Bonne and Lee leading the line and even Sam Walker in the opposition penalty box (for a corner) as we desperately sought a point; which we duly stole in the 95th of the scheduled 90+4 minutes. But unlike against Walsall; one can easily see where the further extra minute came; as Rotherham made two ‘added time’ substitutions and a booking incurred for further time wasting.

But from the 83rd minute; we looked like a different side. Fearless confidence simply oozes from Szmodics and Bonne when together; and whilst it was Elliott Lee that finally stole the goal; it was their undoubted influence that gave us the position and opportunity. Whilst NOT suggesting that these two boys should both start a game; they are an effective weapon wherever chasing a result against a tiring opposition. The Brentford away game last season comes to mind; when John Ward’s XI was similarly outgunned late by young fresh legs.

Frankly; I would still persevere with Morrison and Lee (or Sears). Here; don’t get me wrong; as Jabo Iberehe still remains my player of both this and last season; but he doesn’t seem to be able to combine with any of the currently available strike partners; and isn’t a dependable goal scorer himself. I want to see a (when fit) Jabo make a few starts with Bonne and/or Szmodics in the Under 21's or Essex Senior Cup or even FA Cup to see how that combination works in a competitive game before we risk over dependence on an absolute youth strike force in the league.

But whilst a resolution to our forward and defensive crisis now seems possible; it’s the midfield that troubles me most. We definitely miss the work rate of Gavin Massey; and although Bean adds more attacking flair than David Wright; the absence of David always makes our back four look shaky. Maybe the solution (when fit) is to play Wright (David); Massey and Watt compensating for Bean and Eastmond’s attacking skill by a more direct approach and hence the more fleet footed Bonne and Szmodics. There is a lot to look forward to as the U’s resilience (and injury crisis) gets better. After all; that’s now played fifteen; beaten only by four; and ALL defeats by top six sides (here I include Coventry justly ignoring their 10 point deduction); plus eight draws. We have become HARD to beat; and are merely a whisker away from gaining an extra two points each game as confidence grows and as the season progresses.

I have to mention one other moment that could have turned the game in our favour. Everybody in the ground (including the very amicable Rotherham fans) were sure that Rotherham Keeper; Collin; handled the ball at least a yard outside of his area. How the officials missed that escape me; but maybe it is easier to spot this type of thing from the upper tiers of the stand. Both sets of fans agreed; fussy referee; poor for both sides. I suppose that's fair when a game is drawn!

[Post edited 3 Nov 2013 11:20]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024