Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? 17:19 - Mar 5 with 21302 viewslibertine

i've notice that quite a few of the swansea primary aged footballers are signing up with cardif

whats that all about?
why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 19:37 - Mar 8 with 2964 viewsGrandPrix

Should never sign a contract until at-least 16....and even then you are still too naive to know what your letting yourself in for.....its not all glamorous and spotlights...ive heard of a few kids who would rather be playing with their mates/school friends at club level.....purly because thats what kids want to do.
Who signs at young ages, is it the parents? or do you learn your autograph that young....just in-case

Good times become good memories......bad times become lessons

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 20:04 - Mar 8 with 2941 viewsTheFranchise

There should be no academies or excellence centres until comprehensive age.
why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 20:30 - Mar 8 with 2925 viewsRancid

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 20:04 - Mar 8 by TheFranchise

There should be no academies or excellence centres until comprehensive age.

Totally agree Dave.I'm forever hearing 'He's too small to make it' blah blah blah.They're 10/11 years old and haven't even started to develop physically yet.Kids are being released and told this by clubs and it can crush them.
why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 20:47 - Mar 8 with 2910 viewsLiberty

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 20:30 - Mar 8 by Rancid

Totally agree Dave.I'm forever hearing 'He's too small to make it' blah blah blah.They're 10/11 years old and haven't even started to develop physically yet.Kids are being released and told this by clubs and it can crush them.

This

Up till age 14, its so often the tallest boys get signed.

The more technically gifted ( but shorter ) players often get over looked.

Thats alot down to the scouting system, which is shocking in Swansea. The communication between Swans and local clubs us shocking.

Poll: League 2 Mod , Darr, but we are now in Prem - time for a change ?

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 21:03 - Mar 8 with 2882 viewsTheFranchise

It ruins local junior football. Parents put pressure on coaches, coaches and parents put pressure on kids and the kids stop enjoying it.

In Swansea you have a few local junior league coaches who get involved in the CoE before and Academies now. These aren't necessarily the most age appropriate coaches or even the best teachers of the game.

What you then get is little Jimmy's parents move their child to the junior team of these "coaches" because of a promise made to them to be looked at. This isn't the player leading it, it's just the parent and the "coach".

The child may get picked up and at that point he loses the very thing he or she plays for, fun. He can't play with his friends any more and the parents aren't really allowed much contact with the coaches there only to be dumped at the end of the season for the newest prospect, who without developing the love of playing will also fail to develop.

You've got skills schools with club affiliations cherry picking players and promising the world.

It's all too soon. Up until the age of 11, there should be no restrictions. The love for the game is what will allow the techniques to develop.

I had a tweet the other day, our club is looking for under 8's goal keepers for a trial. There are so many things wrong with that I could dedicate a whole thread on it.

Nearly 9 years coaching ages 6-15 year olds at local league and school levels, I thought I'd seen it all. People I respected a lot in the junior game becoming completely money orientated and losing sight of the bigger picture and far too many "coaches" far too concerned with their own win/loss record than the development of each individual child.

I've seen well drilled under 7s team pass the ball for fun and left the game feeling empty because it's all coach drilled with no individual creativity or freedom to make their own mistakes. Give me a dribble over a pass any day. Good passing teams like the Swans are the end product of years of technical development. Imagine the Hazards, Ronaldos and Messis of this world if they were drilled to death far too young.

I'm sick of it and if my 2 teams weren't filled with great kids who play for the love of it and not all the other nonsense, I would have finished a long time ago.

This post has been edited by an administrator
why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 21:47 - Mar 8 with 2854 viewsC_jack

I do pan disability football, so enjoyment at my level is even more critical but you would not believe the amount of parents/coaches I have come across that have simply got the wrong mindset of what it's all about. Let them play the game mun.
[Post edited 8 Mar 2014 21:48]

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 22:00 - Mar 8 with 2843 viewsLiberty

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 21:03 - Mar 8 by TheFranchise

It ruins local junior football. Parents put pressure on coaches, coaches and parents put pressure on kids and the kids stop enjoying it.

In Swansea you have a few local junior league coaches who get involved in the CoE before and Academies now. These aren't necessarily the most age appropriate coaches or even the best teachers of the game.

What you then get is little Jimmy's parents move their child to the junior team of these "coaches" because of a promise made to them to be looked at. This isn't the player leading it, it's just the parent and the "coach".

The child may get picked up and at that point he loses the very thing he or she plays for, fun. He can't play with his friends any more and the parents aren't really allowed much contact with the coaches there only to be dumped at the end of the season for the newest prospect, who without developing the love of playing will also fail to develop.

You've got skills schools with club affiliations cherry picking players and promising the world.

It's all too soon. Up until the age of 11, there should be no restrictions. The love for the game is what will allow the techniques to develop.

I had a tweet the other day, our club is looking for under 8's goal keepers for a trial. There are so many things wrong with that I could dedicate a whole thread on it.

Nearly 9 years coaching ages 6-15 year olds at local league and school levels, I thought I'd seen it all. People I respected a lot in the junior game becoming completely money orientated and losing sight of the bigger picture and far too many "coaches" far too concerned with their own win/loss record than the development of each individual child.

I've seen well drilled under 7s team pass the ball for fun and left the game feeling empty because it's all coach drilled with no individual creativity or freedom to make their own mistakes. Give me a dribble over a pass any day. Good passing teams like the Swans are the end product of years of technical development. Imagine the Hazards, Ronaldos and Messis of this world if they were drilled to death far too young.

I'm sick of it and if my 2 teams weren't filled with great kids who play for the love of it and not all the other nonsense, I would have finished a long time ago.

Thats a great post and agree with it all. How / when will it change, for change it needs and I think the Swans / multitude of Cardiff academies are encouraging it.

Change is needed, what a better time than now for Swans to change community kids football.

Winning isn't everything. So why league tables at age 11 on , with promotion and relegation. Its bonkers and needs a shake up.

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 22:25 - Mar 8 with 2819 viewsMillJack

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 21:03 - Mar 8 by TheFranchise

It's a shame I can't 'like' this post more than once. Absolutely spot on from start to finish and I can 100% relate to everything said.

On a separate note, but as someone with obviously a huge amount of local league experience, what are your thoughts on mini/junior football being played from March to Sept/Oct? Good idea or not?
Login to get fewer ads

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 22:32 - Mar 8 with 2809 viewsLiberty

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 22:25 - Mar 8 by MillJack

It's a shame I can't 'like' this post more than once. Absolutely spot on from start to finish and I can 100% relate to everything said.

On a separate note, but as someone with obviously a huge amount of local league experience, what are your thoughts on mini/junior football being played from March to Sept/Oct? Good idea or not?

2 to 3 month winter break due to state of pitches is crazy.

Either switch to astro turf for matches or play more in may to august, not like the heat will be a pain.

Our system and pitches do not encourage passing football.

Swansea junior football league need a shake up, think outside the box, change is good.

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 22:33 - Mar 8 with 2809 viewsGrandPrix

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 22:00 - Mar 8 by Liberty

Thats a great post and agree with it all. How / when will it change, for change it needs and I think the Swans / multitude of Cardiff academies are encouraging it.

Change is needed, what a better time than now for Swans to change community kids football.

Winning isn't everything. So why league tables at age 11 on , with promotion and relegation. Its bonkers and needs a shake up.

I don't agree with contracts or signing / committing at such a young age but I do agree that there should be something to compete for....promotion, relegation, a trophy for the best team in a tournament.....now known as festivals!
Its the training/management and especially the back seat coaching parents that can sometimes be an issue.
Its not as if relegation in junior football puts them out of business but it can be a motivator for improvement the following season...
it can also be beneficial so the weaker teams are not regularly thrashed by the better ones but are playing with teams around the same standard.

Good times become good memories......bad times become lessons

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 23:17 - Mar 8 with 2775 viewsLiberty

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 22:33 - Mar 8 by GrandPrix

I don't agree with contracts or signing / committing at such a young age but I do agree that there should be something to compete for....promotion, relegation, a trophy for the best team in a tournament.....now known as festivals!
Its the training/management and especially the back seat coaching parents that can sometimes be an issue.
Its not as if relegation in junior football puts them out of business but it can be a motivator for improvement the following season...
it can also be beneficial so the weaker teams are not regularly thrashed by the better ones but are playing with teams around the same standard.

Disagree, players move to winning to teams. Direct football, long balls, tall players work at age 11 to 15.

Encourages coaches to go direct, physical, long ball, foot through it- -short term works but these players never make it big time. They will shine in local league. Seen it at close hand for 30 years, yet to be proved wrong.

Would it take that much for a swans coach to visit every team locally, training and a match. It could pay dividends.

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 23:43 - Mar 8 with 2761 viewswaynekerr55

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 08:17 - Mar 9 with 2729 viewspremierjack

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 20:30 - Mar 8 by Rancid

"He's too small"??? That isn't true anymore. If you look at the kids in the swansea academy's ALL through the age groups, they have loads of small technical kids, some a lot smaller than the average size!

They need academy's from as early as possible because the extra quality it gives the kids is amazing, they are shown a lot of things - it's not just about football. They are not told they have to train, it's the kids and the parents choice, if the kid didnt want to then he wouldn't.

I totally agree that they should not be signing kids at under 9 tho - to stop these talented boys playing other sports and for their school is ridiculous. I've seen so many times kids being signed at 9, released at 13 or 14 and missed out playing with mates, playing for school and developing in other sports. But I also see it from the academy's point of view when they are putting so much money in to these boys that they don't want any bad coaching installed in to them from local coaches at local clubs. That happens a lot, you see almost every coach screaming at kids on the line to do what they are told, coached all the way through the game. These kids are learning nothing, they don't know why they are doing what they are doing - they are doing it cos their coach is screaming at them to do it. Academy are totally different, no coaches or parents screaming at kids so the kids learn for themselves, if they make wrong decisions they are talked to about it when there is a break in play and 9 times out of 10, it doesn't happen again.
why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 09:49 - Mar 9 with 2693 viewsTheFranchise

Ok firstly I'll address my thoughts on playing styles and player types. In the last few games, my 14s have played 4 "hoof ball over the top teams". The teams we play might as well have left their midfielders on the bench. Calls of "great ball" from their managers always leave me scratching my head. These managers and "coaches" are hindering the development of each individual player with this system.

I don't call myself a coach, I jokingly say that I just turn up with the balls and see what happens. This isn't that far from the truth. I have a selection of small sided games that I use to let the game coach the players. My lads train 1v1, 3v3, 4v4 and at most 5v5. No drills, no lines, no shouting. The game is set to solve a problem and they solve it through play. My players are better technically than those around us and enjoy training more. I've visited other coaches' sessions and had others watch mine, some are positive and some like the sound of their own voices too much.

We share a training venue with a younger group and I know that their parents look at my lot and see no structure and a bit of chaos and in truth it's quite the opposite. I look at their drills, lines and shouting and see far too much coach involvement.

There is no right way, but there are wrong ways.

Onto weather and facilities etc.

We live in Swansea, one of the wettest places in the UK with a local council that really doesn't care. Pitches are in a shocking state due to budget cuts and weather and if it continues then development will decline.

Swansea City are a bright shining beacon for forward thinking coaches, the kids love playing like their favourite players and it's much easier to get through to parents and children that playing the same way is better for them longer term (obviously the coaches need to think long term which a lot don't).

A winter break would be great if Swansea Council actually gave a toss, the pitches get taken by cricket and for summer recovery (even though they don't get used much in the winter). All 3g pitches are commercially operated which prices most out of using them effectively.

Pitch permit fees continue to rise and clubs get nothing back for it.

I took my 14s down to Ashleigh Road yesterday, when I phone the centre they said our games were on. I took my team down to find out they'd called them off to "keep the pitches for the seniors". There were 8 teams there all in the same boat, there was almost riots. 8 managers, over 100 players and parents turned away last minute because the council just don't care.

We need community operated 3g pitches than can be used all year round for the benefit of youth sports.

There's so much wrong but there are people looking to put it right.
why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 09:50 - Mar 9 with 2691 viewsTheFranchise

Hopefully that made sense, I ranted a little. This thread came up at a point in time where I'm struggling to hide my frustrations.

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 15:31 - Mar 9 with 2453 viewsCasual_Jack

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 17:39 - Mar 5 by Liberty

Cardiff have far more academies than Swansea, they use philosophy of get loads of kids in, spread net wide, no consistent football philosophy between the academies, Swans get less players involved, more quality than quantity.

Theres probably a happy medium between the 2 approaches.

The coaching is a higher standard at Swansea, although more rigid ie play the Swansea way, from back, zones etc. Thats why youth results are not be all and end all.

Finding one great player with prem potential every few years would more than pay for it.

Talking bollocks here mate

Cardiff give more decent players trials etc than Swansea you hardly ever see a Swansea scout watching local football and that speaks volumes about our set up

Swansea City Casual.....VYC

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 16:58 - Mar 9 with 2427 viewsLiberty

What have I said you disagree with, I said Cardiff spread net wide, you say they give more trials.

I have seen both at close hand. Neither anywhere near perfect.

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 17:23 - Mar 9 with 2408 viewsTheFranchise

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 15:31 - Mar 9 by Casual_Jack

Talking bollocks here mate

Cardiff give more decent players trials etc than Swansea you hardly ever see a Swansea scout watching local football and that speaks volumes about our set up

You want the reason why so many local youngsters are in the cardiff farms? They use local "coaches". The farm up playfootball is "coached" by quite a few local league football leaders, it has nothing to do with scouting.
why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 18:21 - Mar 9 with 2383 viewsLiberty

Franchise, out of all your right on the button posts, the bit where you said parents move their kids tobtge team of the coaches is the one that drives me mad.

Kids move from their mates
Weakens the league, one stronger team dominates
Coach thinks he's the dogs bollox
Parents buy into the sales pitch
The existing kids in team dropped like a stone.
When kid hits 16 and looks back, in 99.99% of cases, been mugged.

One team in Neath league stands out and a few in Swansea.

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 18:25 - Mar 9 with 2373 viewswaynekerr55

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 09:50 - Mar 9 by TheFranchise

Hopefully that made sense, I ranted a little. This thread came up at a point in time where I'm struggling to hide my frustrations.

There's no ranting there pal.

Where's the logic in travelling 5/6hour round trips for 10 year olds to get 30 minutes of football. They should be at local clubs until 12/13 (child prodigies excepted who could play at older ages) but clubs won't do this as they'd rather ruin the experience for 99% of kids for the one Rooney etc.

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 18:44 - Mar 9 with 2360 viewsPhil_S

Unfortunately for many it is driven by their parents who have one dream and that is to have a multi million pound earning son. Not realising that by their own actions they reduce their chances not increase them

I know of one parent who had no interest in football but decided to take over a local boys team just so their son could play more often. Now all they do is ensure their son is the only one to play all the games and get all the awards at the end of the season. The child is a decent player but has no idea on teamwork or anything and is often seen now shouting at referees. He is 9 FFS. Horrible child, horrible parent and one that will never make the grade but no doubt that will be the fault of the system
why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 18:47 - Mar 9 with 2352 viewsJackfath

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 18:44 - Mar 9 by Phil_S

Unfortunately for many it is driven by their parents who have one dream and that is to have a multi million pound earning son. Not realising that by their own actions they reduce their chances not increase them

I know of one parent who had no interest in football but decided to take over a local boys team just so their son could play more often. Now all they do is ensure their son is the only one to play all the games and get all the awards at the end of the season. The child is a decent player but has no idea on teamwork or anything and is often seen now shouting at referees. He is 9 FFS. Horrible child, horrible parent and one that will never make the grade but no doubt that will be the fault of the system

Quite damning to call a 9 year old "horrible".

It's not his fault his Dad has acted like that and he's learned from him.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 18:50 - Mar 9 with 2354 viewsPhil_S

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 18:47 - Mar 9 by Jackfath

Quite damning to call a 9 year old "horrible".

It's not his fault his Dad has acted like that and he's learned from him.

Having seen the way the 9 year old acts to others within his peer group then the word horrible is more than justified
why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 19:07 - Mar 9 with 2339 viewsRancid

Phuck it i'll say it on here.The father and son team who run the academies are out of their depth and the kids hate them especially the father.Those ITK will know who I'm talking about.A classic example was today.One kid was told to do a certain thing in training through the week and they played Brizzle Rovers today down Fairwood and when one lad done what he had been told to do in training and it didn't come off the coach blew his lid and totally contradicted himself.The kids dad wasn't happy to say the least.

Someone said earlier on in the thread that it didn't matter if the coach couldn't get into the West End firsts.That's Bollox.It's jobs for the boys down there from Monk to O'leary and to the academy scouts and coaches.
why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 19:18 - Mar 9 with 2324 viewswaynekerr55

why are all the kids from swansea joining up with cardif academies? on 19:07 - Mar 9 by Rancid

Phuck it i'll say it on here.The father and son team who run the academies are out of their depth and the kids hate them especially the father.Those ITK will know who I'm talking about.A classic example was today.One kid was told to do a certain thing in training through the week and they played Brizzle Rovers today down Fairwood and when one lad done what he had been told to do in training and it didn't come off the coach blew his lid and totally contradicted himself.The kids dad wasn't happy to say the least.

Someone said earlier on in the thread that it didn't matter if the coach couldn't get into the West End firsts.That's Bollox.It's jobs for the boys down there from Monk to O'leary and to the academy scouts and coaches.

I don't think that you need to be a top drawer player to be a top coach but it can help particularly with game understanding

To be fair to KOL I watched a session last year and it was pretty good, can't comment on the others as I haven't seen them for years

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024