Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
An outsider view 22:11 - Apr 14 with 2667 viewsThe_undecided

I frequently visit this forum for a quick read having enjoyed the footall style that Swansea have brought to the premier league, even bringing my family for a weekend break to the Gower last summer and a quick visit to the Liberty.

Now the mood has been changing on here for the past 6 mths to possibly an all time low since premier league status from many of the posters, it is understandable being only 3 places above the relegation zone but I really dont see Swansea being dragged more than 1 place further into the battle, it is one more win to safety and even this season it has been clear to see that it is more than achieveable for the Swans even on current form.

But my main reason for posting is to give my outsiders view on what I believe to be the current problems at the club and why the Swans are where they are now.

1, The first 2 seasons in the prem Swansea brought something new and fresh and caught a number of clubs cold with their playing style, I think the prem league suited their play better than the championship (Perhaps why they were the lowest placed team to get promotion).

Now clubs have worked out Swansea playing style and even though I still see signs of the old Swansea that I and many were attracted too, clubs do not allow them to play that way or if they do it is quite ineffective for the Swans in getting results.

2, The previous 2 seasons were not as tough, this year has been a real challenge not just for the Swans but other more established premier league clubs.

Swansea were getting results against the big boys but this season have taken very little from the top 7 clubs, I don't think its all Swansea its these clubs have gone up another gear, Man City have stability, Chelsea the same, Liverpool probably playing the best football in a decade, Arsenal & Everton having their best season in years.

3, Hate to say it but some of the Swansea players seem to think they are better than what they are, those first couple of seasons esp the first they were topping the fair play league and basically just stuck to the football and got on with it (This was another attraction a team that just wanted to play football). But this season and recently there are red cards and general upset amongst the players, blaming each other for mistakes.

Again this comes with confidence and the status of playing in the top flight for a few years, but Swansea are still a small relatively new club in the premier league.

4, Similar reasons to point 3 above this has rolled into the management at the club which has suprised me, Swansea seemed to be the solid stable club in the prem, a club that seemed to attract very little negative attention, but this season is different and seems to now be affecting play on the field and decisions in the transfer market.

5, European football - It was always a gamble playing these extra games with a fairly small squad, good for the club in many ways but was always going to take its toll in the latter stages of the season.

However I would say this is no excuse for where Swansea currently sit in the league as they could of been well safe of the relegation zone by this time had many of the above been put right early on.

To summerise I feel that Swansea are coming to the end of their honeymoon period in the prem and really need to get stability back quickly and strenghten the squad to give them different options as too many times this season they have failed to respond with a plan B when needed.

What gave them the edge was they way they played, it was new / fresh to the prem, now sides have worked out how to play the swans it is time to change, whether that is at management level & / or fresh faces on the pitch those closer to the club may be able toi give more detail.

As I say I think they will survive this season but without some major changes next time round I do fear for swanseas chances next season, dont think Monk is the man for the job and this may lead to a loss of many players that Swansea will have to spend big to replace.
An outsider view on 22:44 - Apr 14 with 2548 viewsScoobyWho

Nice thoughts.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

An outsider view on 05:00 - Apr 15 with 2400 viewsLord_Bony

Yes it s true we have been rumbled and most prem managers will know well in advance the best way to counter us.tikka Takka does nt cut it much anymore...it s still down to good defending that s needed in our case.

Next season in the prem if we stay up MAJOR CHANGES are needed...

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

An outsider view on 08:04 - Apr 15 with 2329 viewsJACKARSE

Good post, sums it up.
We need a major club shake up.
Koeman would be my man to put a steel bone through the team and still play attacking football. He was one of the best attacking defenders imo.

d
An outsider view on 09:11 - Apr 15 with 2224 viewsperchrockjack

very veryfair and accurate. It was obvious we d been sussed but we haven't adapted.

We survive and the new boss will sort it

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

An outsider view on 09:14 - Apr 15 with 2209 viewsSpratty

Sussed twice

Adapted once
An outsider view on 09:32 - Apr 15 with 2164 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Along with putting a complete novice in charge of a premier league team .

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

An outsider view on 10:38 - Apr 15 with 2068 viewsTrundle10

Plus a few dodgy refereeing decisions
An outsider view on 15:23 - Apr 15 with 1875 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I just don't get all this crap about Swansea's "style" being sussed and a need for a plan B.
What other team plays exactly the same style, Liverpool, have they been sussed, do they have plan B.
No they don't, they outplay the opposition, just as we do, but they have Suarez (29 goals), Sturridge (20 goals) and Gerrard (13 goals) plus a better defense & goalkeeper than we have.
What we don't have compared to the previous season is a prolific goal scoring Michu to get us out of trouble. As good as Bony is , his 11 goals just aren't enough to reproduce the previous seasons results
We have scored a lot of goals, but most of them when they weren't needed, ie winning 3-0 or losing 4-3, good for goal difference but not for actually winning enough games.
Login to get fewer ads

An outsider view on 15:29 - Apr 15 with 1864 viewsperchrockjack

Our defence always plays out slowly from the back; teams put two big forwards up to hound them.
Quite often our defenders have passes intercepted or we lose possession. THE FACT WE ARE IN OUR OWN Feckn box leaves us with a goal threat.

Moyes did this the first season ;gave our chaps no time. The more limited sides do this as Villa and Sunderland will in games where we need to be risk averse at the back.

Goal scoring aint a problem for us;its the pointless giving away of goals from isolated attacks that's hard to swallow

An outsider view on 15:39 - Apr 15 with 1839 viewsA_Fans_Dad

An outsider view on 15:29 - Apr 15 by perchrockjack

Our defence always plays out slowly from the back; teams put two big forwards up to hound them.
Quite often our defenders have passes intercepted or we lose possession. THE FACT WE ARE IN OUR OWN Feckn box leaves us with a goal threat.

Moyes did this the first season ;gave our chaps no time. The more limited sides do this as Villa and Sunderland will in games where we need to be risk averse at the back.

Goal scoring aint a problem for us;its the pointless giving away of goals from isolated attacks that's hard to swallow

I agree, but if you score more than they do it doesn't matter if you drop the odd stupid goal. We have made loads of chances in those games that "we shouldn't have lost", if we had translated some of those to goals we wouldn't have lost and may have won them.
The common theme in those games was not a Plan B, it was a total loss of being able to play Plan A. We weren't stinging passes together as per normal, we gave the ball away at every opportunity and couldn't take any chances we did make.
It appeared to be a total lack of confidence in our own ability, total panic set in.
An outsider view on 15:40 - Apr 15 with 1833 viewsperchrockjack

YESbply no need to pass it aimlessly around at the back as it invites trouble.
Im certain a better manager would have had this matter sorted.

An outsider view on 16:18 - Apr 15 with 1796 views3swan

An outsider view on 09:11 - Apr 15 by perchrockjack

very veryfair and accurate. It was obvious we d been sussed but we haven't adapted.

We survive and the new boss will sort it

Not sure about being sussed, but fully agree we haven't adapted well enough
An outsider view on 19:28 - Apr 15 with 1677 viewsswancity

An outsider view on 15:40 - Apr 15 by perchrockjack

YESbply no need to pass it aimlessly around at the back as it invites trouble.
Im certain a better manager would have had this matter sorted.

Passing it around needlessly at the back?

I started to reply but realised that it was a waste of time as you wouldn't have understood anyway.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

An outsider view on 20:17 - Apr 15 with 1616 viewsOldjack

You mustn't forget, Brendan and Judas brought us this style and are now still using it to great effect, the difference is they have the class players ,that's all that's required , ML was giving the impression his desire for us had gone since we won the cup ,Now Monks has to pick up the pieces and imo he's not doing a bad job

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

An outsider view on 22:42 - Apr 15 with 1504 viewsAl_Bundy

Top post by the OP !

Spot on especially point 3.

Our ceiling was the League Cup final.. since then its been a slow decline apart from a few high points. We have no ambition to improve where we are on or off the pitch but we are astute enough to balance the books.
An outsider view on 00:07 - Apr 16 with 1444 viewsScoobyWho

Mind you that same style over two home games will keep us up.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

An outsider view on 08:00 - Apr 16 with 1382 viewsjacksfullaces

An outsider view on 20:17 - Apr 15 by Oldjack

You mustn't forget, Brendan and Judas brought us this style and are now still using it to great effect, the difference is they have the class players ,that's all that's required , ML was giving the impression his desire for us had gone since we won the cup ,Now Monks has to pick up the pieces and imo he's not doing a bad job

taking the blinkers off to the quality we have in our team might be a start. the reason we perceived our players to be a higher standard than those in similar teams around us maybe that they were working hard AND to a system that suited. Both seem to have disappeared.

Major shake up needed - and probably need to start next season with the same nerves and trepidation that we started our first. Lets get back to proving ourselves again, rather than make 2-3 good signings and assume it will propel us back into the top half.

Note the 2 games we have got results in of late (Cardiff/Norwich) were both matches where we were on the precipice and the players had to rise to the occasion. More of that over the next couple of matches wouldn't go amiss although have a feeling its not going to reappear until Soton or Sunderland after a scrappy point against Villa and/or Newcastle.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024