Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters 14:32 - Aug 8 with 8719 viewsDavillin

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters

First and foremost, I'm writing about a tiny minority of posters on PlanetSwans. There are dozens of posters who are always courteous even in contention, and who not only disagree with me, often vigorously, but teach me while doing so, and there is another huge block of posters who can and do remain courteous at all times, even when not contending.

But, oh, the madness of some posters on PlanetSwans. One poster insults or disparages another poster, or misrepresents another poster's words, and the poster so put-upon blocks him. And who gets blamed for -- what? being inconsiderate? -- not the insulter, but the insulted.

What is offensive here? Blocking one who can't be civil? Or letting it be known that someone has been blocked?

Why is there an "ignore" feature on PlanetSwans? As a condiment to be put on hot dogs, perhaps? To be cut out and hung on a Christmas Tree (with apologies for bringing religion into this)?

As hard as this might be for a few to understand, I do not post on here or read posts in order to watch human beings attacking each other like rabid dogs. I do so in order to share thoughts about the Swans, to be amused by Welsh humour, and to engage in some intelligent discussions about important matters.

I do not appreciate foul language replacing argument, or being treated discourteously, or having my words twisted and the dishonest "misinterpretation" being used as if I said it. Those are the basic reasons why I block someone. Not having to read them helps me to maintain my peace of mind -- probably the main goal of my life in these troubled days.

To be quite honest, I would be deeply grateful to all of those who have either an unkind, sometimes even hateful, attitude toward me, or who feel intimidated [which is their fault, not mine], just block me! Please.

Unlike a few on here who think ill of me for blocking, I will appreciate being blocked. Even being told. Especially being told.

How often recently have we read many posters expressing concern about the deterioration of the discourse on PlanetSwans? So, let's start another "campaign." Everyone block people who are discourteous and twist words.

There would be two worthwhile results: (1) peace of mind for the blocker, and (2) shut down the real offenders -- kinda like voting them out with the "ignore" button.

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 22:43 - Aug 8 with 981 viewsSwanzay

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 22:39 - Aug 8 by Davillin

The reason I have not blocked you is because you're proving yourself one of the "poster boys" for the lack of courtesy on here, and emphasizing my main point.

So go to it.

I ask again for this evidence of lack of courtesy to you?
On on 22:46 - Aug 8 with 966 viewsJackoBoostardo

On on 22:40 - Aug 8 by Darran

Honestly I'm pissing myself here,you slag someone off for years and when you PM him for advice you're surprised when you don't get a reply?

What a f^cking tw*t. 😂

Well Dav's got one fan..

And a discourteous one too.....

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

On on 22:47 - Aug 8 with 974 viewsDarran

On on 22:46 - Aug 8 by JackoBoostardo

Well Dav's got one fan..

And a discourteous one too.....

I'm everyone's fan,honestly it's a f*cking forum. 😂

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

On on 22:47 - Aug 8 with 973 viewsSwanzay

Honestly I'm pissing myself here,you slag someone off for years and when you PM him for advice you're surprised when you don't get a reply?

What a f^cking tw*t. 😂

Advice, why the feck would I ask Dav for advice?
This seems to be a touching a nerve with you, why?
On on 22:48 - Aug 8 with 965 viewsDavillin

What a f^cking tw*t. 😂

Oh, come now, Darran. Sometimes you're too generous.

It was not "advice" he was after [the rest of your post is dead on]. He was trying to goad me into a response [something controversial about "America"] so he could make personal attacks and insult my country, as he had done every previous time when I responded. Look at him on this thread.

p.s. I'm done with this now. I made my point -- or several others made it for me -- and it's past my supper time..

On on 22:49 - Aug 8 with 961 viewsDarran

On on 22:47 - Aug 8 by Swanzay

Advice, why the feck would I ask Dav for advice?
This seems to be a touching a nerve with you, why?

Yeah it's really hitting a nerve? 😂

On on 22:52 - Aug 8 with 953 viewsMillJack

On on 22:29 - Aug 8 by Davillin

Harsh words, MillJack.

Why is it "embarrassing"? Because of the subject? Or the O.P.? Or because of some of the responses? Or because many of the responses are personal and discourteous? And, if the latter, doesn't that prove my point?

I have met and had personal interactions with quite a few posters and non-posters from Swansea and elsewhere in Wales, and have found them to be exemplary in their courtesy and kindness. And strangely enough, their online demeanour is almost identical with their in-person demeanour. From that, I have assumed that that should be the case at least most of the time.

If I'm wrong, then why the dichotomy [reference Perchrock] in their on- and off-ine behaviours?

In any case, in essence I asked what is the best way to handle that.

Don't you find it worth reflection that in a post with this subject, it comes down to disparaging me for asking a question? Don't you find it worth reflection that posters who are discourteous are defended and someone who is seeking more courtesy, or dealing with it, is mocked?

If you will, please reflect and get back to me if you wish.
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 22:33]

Dav, in "real life", if I no longer spoke to people who had, at one time, been discourteous to me, misrespresented things I've said or been obnoxious toward me then I'd have a very short list of people to speak to and/or life would be extremely boring.

In my experience, where I will disagree with someone on a particular subject, I will agree on another. However, I am always happy to accept others points of view even though they may promote them in a different manner to myself. Surely it's peoples differences in life that keep things interesting, otherwise this and other forums would ne null and void.

On another thread I witnessed you block someone because they dared to state the fact that the USA turned up conveniently late to both World Wars and instead of engaging him and providing your point of view you immediately banished him to the blocked list! You're developing a reputation that is the opposite if the opinion that I have always had of you, this thread had only gone further to cement that reputation in some peoples minds. It's a real shame.
On on 22:55 - Aug 8 with 946 viewsSwanzay

On on 22:49 - Aug 8 by Darran

Yeah it's really hitting a nerve? 😂

If insults make you feel the big boy, go you! Let the stress out my friend!
Login to get fewer ads

On on 22:55 - Aug 8 with 943 viewsDarran

On on 22:55 - Aug 8 by Swanzay

If insults make you feel the big boy, go you! Let the stress out my friend!

I'm full of stress me.

On on 22:58 - Aug 8 with 941 viewsllangyfelach

I've got it. I've twigged it. I've done it. Dav's modus operandi has been sussed out. Dav thinks of a number when he posts, if you get the number wrong,or indeed refuse to mention the number then you are swimming with the fishes*

*in blocked terms

F*ck you, Da Vinci Code. You're Puzzle World Wordsearch #204 in comparison
[Post edited 8 Aug 2014 22:59]

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

On on 23:01 - Aug 8 with 934 viewsSwanzay

On on 22:55 - Aug 8 by Darran

I'm full of stress me.

Let it all go, its better than way, stops the sleepless nights!
On on 23:03 - Aug 8 with 928 viewsSwanzay

On on 22:48 - Aug 8 by Davillin

It was not "advice" he was after [the rest of your post is dead on]. He was trying to goad me into a response [something controversial about "America"] so he could make personal attacks and insult my country, as he had done every previous time when I responded. Look at him on this thread.

p.s. I'm done with this now. I made my point -- or several others made it for me -- and it's past my supper time..

Still no evidence, I respect you Davs,
I sent 2 respectful PMs and you didn't bother to answer, that is the fact!

You seem to judge posters on here far too easily, you are not some superior being!
On on 23:11 - Aug 8 with 913 viewsJackoBoostardo

On on 22:48 - Aug 8 by Davillin

I assume you're talking about me.

1) Goad you in to a response? Wasn't it a discussion on a forum?

2) Something controversial about "America"? Please, please, please don't ever criticise Britain, I may have to block you!

3) Personal attacks and insults against your country? Wow... makes me a terrorist in your eyes right?

Remember this thread?
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/115929/60-years-ago-toda

Or how about this one?
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/forum/116106/page:1#.U-VIevldV

I can't even find the thread in which I allegedly "personally attacked" america. I did say I loved the US from my travels, and may even have criticised a few US policies on international matters, but to the extent of blocking someone instead of discussing it?

As I mentioned, it appears your posts are driven by ego regrettably.

And we're Swaaaaanseeeea Ciiiityyyy! Swaaaansseeeaaa Ciiiityyy F C! We're not necessarily the greatest team in football, the world has ever seen (but we're possibly the most honest and resilient). - On behalf of The Campaign For Realistic Crowd Chanting
Poll: How could Van Persie survive such an horrific attack were it to happen again?

On on 00:44 - Aug 9 with 896 viewsDavillin

On on 22:52 - Aug 8 by MillJack

Dav, in "real life", if I no longer spoke to people who had, at one time, been discourteous to me, misrespresented things I've said or been obnoxious toward me then I'd have a very short list of people to speak to and/or life would be extremely boring.

In my experience, where I will disagree with someone on a particular subject, I will agree on another. However, I am always happy to accept others points of view even though they may promote them in a different manner to myself. Surely it's peoples differences in life that keep things interesting, otherwise this and other forums would ne null and void.

On another thread I witnessed you block someone because they dared to state the fact that the USA turned up conveniently late to both World Wars and instead of engaging him and providing your point of view you immediately banished him to the blocked list! You're developing a reputation that is the opposite if the opinion that I have always had of you, this thread had only gone further to cement that reputation in some peoples minds. It's a real shame.

No,it's not "a real shame."

I'm happy for you in your newfound revelation, blinkered 'though it may be.

It's not worth a response because when it comes to me, my posts, and my character, you're in the "closed mind" category..

Now just in case you don't understand the previous sentence, I'll make it simpler. That's O.K. I don't care.

Go in peace.

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 08:14 - Aug 9 with 857 viewsApeShit

Davillin, would you say Darran is a discourteous poster?

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 09:52 - Aug 9 with 829 viewsDarran

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 08:14 - Aug 9 by ApeShit

Davillin, would you say Darran is a discourteous poster?

Thick tw*t. 😂

On on 13:20 - Aug 9 with 775 viewsMillJack

On on 00:44 - Aug 9 by Davillin

No,it's not "a real shame."

I'm happy for you in your newfound revelation, blinkered 'though it may be.

It's not worth a response because when it comes to me, my posts, and my character, you're in the "closed mind" category..

Now just in case you don't understand the previous sentence, I'll make it simpler. That's O.K. I don't care.

Go in peace.

And you've got the gall to block someone for misrepresenting something you said? Who are you and what have you done with Dav?

Blocked.
On on 15:27 - Aug 9 with 751 viewsDavillin

On on 13:20 - Aug 9 by MillJack

And you've got the gall to block someone for misrepresenting something you said? Who are you and what have you done with Dav?

Blocked.

Praise the Lord! Someone finally granted my request and blocked me -- and admitted to blocking me.

I'll sleep well tonight and for many more nights to come just because of that kindness.

I know you can't read this, MillJack, but thank you!

On on 16:51 - Aug 9 with 716 viewsJackoBoostardo

On on 15:27 - Aug 9 by Davillin

Praise the Lord! Someone finally granted my request and blocked me -- and admitted to blocking me.

I'll sleep well tonight and for many more nights to come just because of that kindness.

Arrogant response that!

On on 17:55 - Aug 9 with 698 viewsllangyfelach

On on 15:27 - Aug 9 by Davillin

Can't work out what will choke you first - your arrogance or your self righteousness. I used to respect your words, now you're no better than a dictator, rewriting your history on here as you go along - if something irks you or grates at you you simply pull the "blocked" card and berate the posters intelligence (or lack of in terms of the sky high bar that you set your benchmark at)

You're f*cking bonkers. I may have lost respect for you, but I'll continue to laugh at your one sided view of life until you chose to block me too

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

On on 18:03 - Aug 9 with 679 viewsDavillin

On on 17:55 - Aug 9 by llangyfelach

Can't work out what will choke you first - your arrogance or your self righteousness. I used to respect your words, now you're no better than a dictator, rewriting your history on here as you go along - if something irks you or grates at you you simply pull the "blocked" card and berate the posters intelligence (or lack of in terms of the sky high bar that you set your benchmark at)

You're f*cking bonkers. I may have lost respect for you, but I'll continue to laugh at your one sided view of life until you chose to block me too

Cakes and ale. Cakes and ale.

Changing your user name to "Sir Toby" would put it more in character.

On on 18:07 - Aug 9 with 674 viewsexiledclaseboy

Strange thread this. For me, having been around this place for much longer than is probably healthy, the people who "hate" me and especially those who disagree with me are the ones that make it worth coming back. I genuinely can't imagine blocking anyone until I'm left purely with a forum of people whose posts are so inoffensive, so bland and non-challenging that it would be like reading Mumnset.* I simply can't get worked up enough about what's said on here to consider anyone worthy of "blocking".

*Not that I've ever read Mumsnet you understand. I just imagine it to be that way. Honest.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Poll: Tory leader

On on 18:12 - Aug 9 with 663 viewsDavillin

On on 17:55 - Aug 9 by llangyfelach

And there's you, too, misrepresenting what I say. I don't "block" someone because he irks me or grates on me, and I don't berate anyone's intelligence. The latter is of no importance to me, and the former is simply incorrect [no-one -- especially on here -- irks me or grates on me].

I block those who insult, use foul language as a substitute for reasoned discourse, and intentionally misrepresent what I write. How many times do I have to say that? Have you seen me block anyone for another reason? {I give the reason every time.]

If you would retract your insulting language and repair the misrepresentations, I'd be grateful.

If you wish to laugh at my insistence on courtesy, go to it.

On on 18:19 - Aug 9 with 655 viewsDavillin

On on 18:07 - Aug 9 by exiledclaseboy

Strange thread this. For me, having been around this place for much longer than is probably healthy, the people who "hate" me and especially those who disagree with me are the ones that make it worth coming back. I genuinely can't imagine blocking anyone until I'm left purely with a forum of people whose posts are so inoffensive, so bland and non-challenging that it would be like reading Mumnset.* I simply can't get worked up enough about what's said on here to consider anyone worthy of "blocking".

*Not that I've ever read Mumsnet you understand. I just imagine it to be that way. Honest.

This post has been edited by an administrator

My hero.

I don't block those who disagree with me. I have said on here many times that I enjoy contention in discourse. I do not, however, appreciate foul language as a substitute for reason, insults, and intentional misrepresentation of what I write. I guess I have to make that my "signature line."

Wanna give the URL for "Mumsnet" so I can refer certain discourteous posters to it as a teaching tool? Thanks.

On "Blocking" or "Ignoring" Posters on 18:19 - Aug 9 with 654 viewsperchrockjack

It's one thing to hate an individual, quite another what they post

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024