Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did Riga split fans? 08:05 - Oct 31 with 2161 viewsSTHolder

Clearly Ollie brought every fan together, there was general apathy about Appleton, everyone was glad to see the back of Ince and Ferguson was just a stop gap. However there now seems a real split with our fans and it seems to have come with the appointment of Riga. Was he really the saviour and the great hope that many still say or was he the Emperor's new clothes?

Either way his legacy will live in as far as a rift in the supporters exists.
Did Riga split fans? on 08:18 - Oct 31 with 1534 viewsCurryman

I don't personally think that Riga did split the fans, 99.9% seemed, to me, to be behind him. The old saying of not being able to polish a turd or make a purse out of a sows ear if you prefer does apply to Riga, and we will never know how good his team could have been if he had had the Chairman's backing. Some questions were raised about his ability to change a game, his team selection and his medling, but I'm sure the same questions have been asked about all previous managers Ollie included (remember Villa?).

The club, however appears to have been suffering from something akin to the Persian - Peloponnesian war when The Greek city-states (namely Athens and Sparta) won the Persian War. The Peloponnesian League (led by the city-state Sparta) won the Peloponnesian War against the Athenian Empire. After the war, Sparta was the ruling state of Greece. The war destroyed the economy and brought poverty and suffering to the state. Athens could never again gain its lost prosperity that it was proud of, pre-war. Likewise BFC seems to have lost it's prosperity and may do so again when the war against the owners is won.

Love Blackpool, not the O's
Poll: Whi is responsiblke for our current mess?
Blog: Trust

Did Riga split fans? on 08:51 - Oct 31 with 1525 viewsstraightatthewall

Did Riga split fans? on 08:18 - Oct 31 by Curryman

I don't personally think that Riga did split the fans, 99.9% seemed, to me, to be behind him. The old saying of not being able to polish a turd or make a purse out of a sows ear if you prefer does apply to Riga, and we will never know how good his team could have been if he had had the Chairman's backing. Some questions were raised about his ability to change a game, his team selection and his medling, but I'm sure the same questions have been asked about all previous managers Ollie included (remember Villa?).

The club, however appears to have been suffering from something akin to the Persian - Peloponnesian war when The Greek city-states (namely Athens and Sparta) won the Persian War. The Peloponnesian League (led by the city-state Sparta) won the Peloponnesian War against the Athenian Empire. After the war, Sparta was the ruling state of Greece. The war destroyed the economy and brought poverty and suffering to the state. Athens could never again gain its lost prosperity that it was proud of, pre-war. Likewise BFC seems to have lost it's prosperity and may do so again when the war against the owners is won.

Ancient Greek history? You been on the weed Wilf?

I make you totally correct though. This is not a split in real terms, because there really aren't that many who feel Riga did a bad job or more importantly, there aren't many who feel Riga could have done better with what he had at his disposal.

Anyone with any sense can also understand that the ability of a manager to change the game or even change the approach of the team during a season still depends fundamentally on having players at your disposal who are good enough to play in different ways. Riga never had that. The thread on who should be captain; Clark or McMahon tells its own story. People pinning their hopes on Ranger tells its own story, people criticising him for not using Barkhuizen tells its own story and the not playing of Ince signed players - Davies, G-Mac, Dunne, Grant etc... - also tells its own story.

Those people who have questioned Riga and demanded more, seriously need their heads testing. Or they should admit to being clueless about football. There's no 3rd answer....

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

Did Riga split fans? on 09:34 - Oct 31 with 1508 viewsLala

Did Riga split fans? on 08:51 - Oct 31 by straightatthewall

Ancient Greek history? You been on the weed Wilf?

I make you totally correct though. This is not a split in real terms, because there really aren't that many who feel Riga did a bad job or more importantly, there aren't many who feel Riga could have done better with what he had at his disposal.

Anyone with any sense can also understand that the ability of a manager to change the game or even change the approach of the team during a season still depends fundamentally on having players at your disposal who are good enough to play in different ways. Riga never had that. The thread on who should be captain; Clark or McMahon tells its own story. People pinning their hopes on Ranger tells its own story, people criticising him for not using Barkhuizen tells its own story and the not playing of Ince signed players - Davies, G-Mac, Dunne, Grant etc... - also tells its own story.

Those people who have questioned Riga and demanded more, seriously need their heads testing. Or they should admit to being clueless about football. There's no 3rd answer....

I don't think so.

I think Riga was very fortunate that all of the hatred fans have for KOKO turned into love for Riga. He didn't achieve a thing in real terms, yet is seen as some kind of hero. I think people seem to think he was making some kind of a stand for the fans, when the reality is he was making his own personal stand for himself.

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Did Riga split fans? on 09:37 - Oct 31 with 1506 viewsOldSkool

Riga was backed by 99% of the fans.
Which probably p1ssed offf Koko, which cant be a bad thing
Did Riga split fans? on 09:42 - Oct 31 with 1499 viewsstraightatthewall

Did Riga split fans? on 09:34 - Oct 31 by Lala

I don't think so.

I think Riga was very fortunate that all of the hatred fans have for KOKO turned into love for Riga. He didn't achieve a thing in real terms, yet is seen as some kind of hero. I think people seem to think he was making some kind of a stand for the fans, when the reality is he was making his own personal stand for himself.

I don't think that Lala. I know he was here for himself. Are we to think Clark isn't?

The point is, he was deemed a 'hero' (grandiose terminology) because he told it how it was i.e. the ability for a manager to do a proper and professional job was totally compromised by the chairman's 'ability' to hamstring him at every turn.

As I say; look at who we have on our books. League 1 players who will end up in League 1.

Did Riga split fans? on 10:02 - Oct 31 with 1490 viewsLala

Did Riga split fans? on 09:42 - Oct 31 by straightatthewall

I don't think that Lala. I know he was here for himself. Are we to think Clark isn't?

The point is, he was deemed a 'hero' (grandiose terminology) because he told it how it was i.e. the ability for a manager to do a proper and professional job was totally compromised by the chairman's 'ability' to hamstring him at every turn.

As I say; look at who we have on our books. League 1 players who will end up in League 1.

SATW

'Are we to think Clark isn't? '

Nope - no manager is, but they aren't treated like heroes for doing little.

He hasn't told it like it is because he hasn't said anything. He hasn't said or done anything at all in reality.

Anyway - nice to see you over here with the good people

Did Riga split fans? on 10:12 - Oct 31 with 1488 viewsterminallytangerine

Did Riga split fans? on 09:42 - Oct 31 by straightatthewall

The problem with criticising Riga is that it immediately earns you lickspittle bum spider status in a world where being a Blackpool supporter is synonymous with a hatred of the owners, and Riga's stance against the owners (however justified) automatically made him a popular manager regardless of what was going on on the pitch.

While I applauded his attempt to play football I wasn't impressed by performances overall - he often defended too deep and his players were often too slow getting the ball forward and rarely if ever got behind the opposition's full backs. In other circumstances he could have done well for us and with the financial backing which we all would have liked to see we wouldn't be in the situation we are. To go forward as a club though we need positivity (my word not KO's) and he oozed such negativity after the Millwall game that I knew then he wouldn't last.

I'm sorry it didn't work out, still think the owners need to think long term and at least attempt to win back hearts and minds (assuming they aren't going to sell) by showing they are here for the long term by investing and still think we have got a fight on our hands, but I am willing to give Lee Clark a chance and hope for a better future where one day we are all pulling in the same direction.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2014 10:27]
Did Riga split fans? on 10:22 - Oct 31 with 1477 viewsLala

Did Riga split fans? on 10:12 - Oct 31 by terminallytangerine

The problem with criticising Riga is that it immediately earns you lickspittle bum spider status in a world where being a Blackpool supporter is synonymous with a hatred of the owners, and Riga's stance against the owners (however justified) automatically made him a popular manager regardless of what was going on on the pitch.

While I applauded his attempt to play football I wasn't impressed by performances overall - he often defended too deep and his players were often too slow getting the ball forward and rarely if ever got behind the opposition's full backs. In other circumstances he could have done well for us and with the financial backing which we all would have liked to see we wouldn't be in the situation we are. To go forward as a club though we need positivity (my word not KO's) and he oozed such negativity after the Millwall game that I knew then he wouldn't last.

I'm sorry it didn't work out, still think the owners need to think long term and at least attempt to win back hearts and minds (assuming they aren't going to sell) by showing they are here for the long term by investing and still think we have got a fight on our hands, but I am willing to give Lee Clark a chance and hope for a better future where one day we are all pulling in the same direction.

What a top post TT, so much common sense in there !

'lickspittle bum spider status' - ain't that the truth

Login to get fewer ads

Did Riga split fans? on 10:28 - Oct 31 with 1473 viewsterminallytangerine

Did Riga split fans? on 10:22 - Oct 31 by Lala

What a top post TT, so much common sense in there !

'lickspittle bum spider status' - ain't that the truth

Thanks Lala.

I think you have added a great deal since coming over to AVFTT.
Did Riga split fans? on 10:31 - Oct 31 with 1469 viewsLala

Did Riga split fans? on 10:28 - Oct 31 by terminallytangerine

Thanks Lala.

I think you have added a great deal since coming over to AVFTT.

Thank you !

Did Riga split fans? on 10:49 - Oct 31 with 1459 viewsFY4MIKEH

Did Riga split fans? on 10:31 - Oct 31 by Lala

Thank you !

TT good post indeed. We need to back Clark now, and forget Riga.
Did Riga split fans? on 10:56 - Oct 31 with 1455 viewsHarryHorse

Did Riga split fans? on 10:49 - Oct 31 by FY4MIKEH

TT good post indeed. We need to back Clark now, and forget Riga.

No , not aware of any rift between supporters about Riga really .
Did Riga split fans? on 11:18 - Oct 31 with 1447 viewsstraightatthewall

Did Riga split fans? on 10:12 - Oct 31 by terminallytangerine

TT,

'I wasn't impressed by performances overall - he often defended too deep and his players were often too slow getting the ball forward and rarely if ever got behind the opposition's full backs.'

We defended deep because a) our only right back isn't quick enough or athletic enough to get forward and back in a box-to-box manner. Funnily enough, he wasn't last season either and didn't do it then. We have precious little in midfield aside from a player in Perkins who will run all day and die for the cause, but doesn't have enough quality to make a real difference. Funnily enough, he did the same last season.
You say you applauded his attempts to play football, but also wanted the ball moved forward more quickly. Shall we hoof or shall we pass? Had he hoofed, I can be damn
sure that would have eventually been used as a stick to beat him with.
We rarely get behind the opposition full backs because we don't have anyone in midfield who is good enough to pick out a pass and we don't have anyone wide who has the required quality to beat a man consistently.

All of the above come down to one thing and one thing alone. Player recruitment. You even appear to acknowledge this. Yet, somehow, you think that a manager or coach can be given any old player and then get them to perform at the required level. And before you reference Ollie and the budget then to the budget now, you really need to stop and think about the real differences between how we operated then - with VB's financial backing - and how we operate now. That includes, but is not exclusive to, areas such as length of contract and performance related bonuses.

Lala - I'm on this site, not because of the 'good people.' If anything, I'm on it to try and get the truth through to people like yourself. Because this idea that Riga did something wrong or Ince or Fergie or Ollie for that matter is something that is holding us back. Even if Clark pulls off a miracle this season, his long term prospects are no better.

As I keep saying, despite the accusations that it's 'just because he stood up to Oyston', I back any manager, because until they are given sensible support from Karl there role is simply window dressing. It's rearranging deckchairs on the titanic. It's blaming your breaks when you get in a car pissed and crash it....I could go on....

Did Riga split fans? on 11:18 - Oct 31 with 1445 viewsMr_Brightside

Did Riga split fans? on 10:56 - Oct 31 by HarryHorse

No , not aware of any rift between supporters about Riga really .

I think the fans split along time before Riga came along - he just reinforced the split!!

Poll: Next win will be against?
Blog: The Love I lost

Did Riga split fans? on 11:21 - Oct 31 with 1440 viewsLala

Did Riga split fans? on 11:18 - Oct 31 by Mr_Brightside

I think the fans split along time before Riga came along - he just reinforced the split!!

SATW - I did not say that Riga did anything wrong, my point is more along the lines of 'what did he do that was so right'....sweet fanny adams in my book. That's why my opinion of him as a manager and person is more one of mild indifference and I don't get the hero worshipping.

Did Riga split fans? on 11:29 - Oct 31 with 1434 viewsstraightatthewall

Did Riga split fans? on 11:21 - Oct 31 by Lala

SATW - I did not say that Riga did anything wrong, my point is more along the lines of 'what did he do that was so right'....sweet fanny adams in my book. That's why my opinion of him as a manager and person is more one of mild indifference and I don't get the hero worshipping.

Well he sold 8000 season tickets apparently. Which was about 5000 more than Brian Flynn would have managed.

He also got the players working hard and for the cause as far as I could see. That they weren't up to the required standard is neither their nor Riga's fault.

And of course for many, he has exposed what many of us already knew i.e. that Karl and Owen Oyston do not put football first. If they did, they would have worked with him in terms of his targets and not against him leaving us in the total mess we are in. They've been exposed. He did that. There's no longer anywhere to hide and that will help speed up the process of getting rid of them. It SHOULD also help remove the myth that Karl/Owen have the club's best interests at heart. Once these things are gone, we can be truly united in our goal of removing them from the club we all love.

Did Riga split fans? on 11:43 - Oct 31 with 1418 viewsLala

Did Riga split fans? on 11:29 - Oct 31 by straightatthewall

Well he sold 8000 season tickets apparently. Which was about 5000 more than Brian Flynn would have managed.

He also got the players working hard and for the cause as far as I could see. That they weren't up to the required standard is neither their nor Riga's fault.

And of course for many, he has exposed what many of us already knew i.e. that Karl and Owen Oyston do not put football first. If they did, they would have worked with him in terms of his targets and not against him leaving us in the total mess we are in. They've been exposed. He did that. There's no longer anywhere to hide and that will help speed up the process of getting rid of them. It SHOULD also help remove the myth that Karl/Owen have the club's best interests at heart. Once these things are gone, we can be truly united in our goal of removing them from the club we all love.

SATW

'He also got the players working hard and for the cause as far as I could see. '

That was part of his remit, and only a small part of it, nothing over and above a managers role.

He hasn't exposed anything. He sulked when he could not obtain some of his targets, however, do we know if these proposed requisitions were reasonable or feasible ?? Nope, we know nothing, because he hasn't revealed anything at all. I'm not trying to be obstropalous, I'm just saying what I see.

If Riga does come out and expose a full set of facts then I will re-address my opinion if needs be, but for now, I am indifferent towards him.

Did Riga split fans? on 11:46 - Oct 31 with 1418 viewsFountain

Did Riga split fans? on 11:29 - Oct 31 by straightatthewall

Stroppers, two stonking class posts there

Why wasn't Riga allowed to bring loan players in? Criminal.

OYSCUM OUT

slap me on the patio

Did Riga split fans? on 11:49 - Oct 31 with 1413 viewsdaveclayt

Did Riga split fans? on 11:18 - Oct 31 by straightatthewall

TT,

'I wasn't impressed by performances overall - he often defended too deep and his players were often too slow getting the ball forward and rarely if ever got behind the opposition's full backs.'

We defended deep because a) our only right back isn't quick enough or athletic enough to get forward and back in a box-to-box manner. Funnily enough, he wasn't last season either and didn't do it then. We have precious little in midfield aside from a player in Perkins who will run all day and die for the cause, but doesn't have enough quality to make a real difference. Funnily enough, he did the same last season.
You say you applauded his attempts to play football, but also wanted the ball moved forward more quickly. Shall we hoof or shall we pass? Had he hoofed, I can be damn
sure that would have eventually been used as a stick to beat him with.
We rarely get behind the opposition full backs because we don't have anyone in midfield who is good enough to pick out a pass and we don't have anyone wide who has the required quality to beat a man consistently.

All of the above come down to one thing and one thing alone. Player recruitment. You even appear to acknowledge this. Yet, somehow, you think that a manager or coach can be given any old player and then get them to perform at the required level. And before you reference Ollie and the budget then to the budget now, you really need to stop and think about the real differences between how we operated then - with VB's financial backing - and how we operate now. That includes, but is not exclusive to, areas such as length of contract and performance related bonuses.

Lala - I'm on this site, not because of the 'good people.' If anything, I'm on it to try and get the truth through to people like yourself. Because this idea that Riga did something wrong or Ince or Fergie or Ollie for that matter is something that is holding us back. Even if Clark pulls off a miracle this season, his long term prospects are no better.

As I keep saying, despite the accusations that it's 'just because he stood up to Oyston', I back any manager, because until they are given sensible support from Karl there role is simply window dressing. It's rearranging deckchairs on the titanic. It's blaming your breaks when you get in a car pissed and crash it....I could go on....

Absolutely bob on the money SATW
Did Riga split fans? on 12:16 - Oct 31 with 1399 viewsTang67

Did Riga split fans? on 11:49 - Oct 31 by daveclayt

Absolutely bob on the money SATW

Can't really add more to SATW posts + we will never know what Riga could have achieved
Whether it be Riga,Ollie.Appleton or Barry F mess there is one common denominator , Karl Oyston .
Think there may be a parting shot to come from José

Poster formerly known as bisphamtang

Did Riga split fans? on 12:29 - Oct 31 with 1389 viewsstraightatthewall

Did Riga split fans? on 12:16 - Oct 31 by Tang67

Can't really add more to SATW posts + we will never know what Riga could have achieved
Whether it be Riga,Ollie.Appleton or Barry F mess there is one common denominator , Karl Oyston .

Lala,

The point about how hard the players worked under riga is important because it immediately dispels the myth that it was his negativity that brought about out current position. If that was the case, why did the players simply not just throw in the towel or do the bare minimum. Clearly the gaffer was able to instill some level of loyalty in them despite being an architect for our downfall. Odd that....

Did Riga split fans? on 12:29 - Oct 31 with 1388 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Did Riga split fans? on 12:16 - Oct 31 by Tang67

I've been critical of `JR on some issues, but I think it's stretching it a lot to put schisms in our support at his door.

As someone has already said, those divisions were there long before he arrived.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Did Riga split fans? on 12:38 - Oct 31 with 1381 viewsLala

Did Riga split fans? on 12:29 - Oct 31 by basilrobbiereborn

I've been critical of `JR on some issues, but I think it's stretching it a lot to put schisms in our support at his door.

As someone has already said, those divisions were there long before he arrived.

'The point about how hard the players worked under riga is important because it immediately dispels the myth that it was his negativity that brought about out current position.'

SATW
You are missing my point I think, I am not saying that Riga brought negativity to the club. I am aware the club already had negativity overload when he arrived.

What I am saying is there is no evidence that he achieved anything over and above what is expected of a manager ( some would say less in terms of results, but I wouldn't dare, not today anyway ) he's not a hero to me and has courted a lot of praise simply by not getting on with a man that other people tend not to get on with.

Did Riga split fans? on 12:41 - Oct 31 with 1374 viewsseasider13

I heard a rumour/gossip that Riga might attend the next BST meeting, now that would be interesting if true.

No man is rich enough to buy back his past.

Did Riga split fans? on 12:44 - Oct 31 with 1372 viewsstraightatthewall

Did Riga split fans? on 12:38 - Oct 31 by Lala

'The point about how hard the players worked under riga is important because it immediately dispels the myth that it was his negativity that brought about out current position.'

SATW
You are missing my point I think, I am not saying that Riga brought negativity to the club. I am aware the club already had negativity overload when he arrived.

What I am saying is there is no evidence that he achieved anything over and above what is expected of a manager ( some would say less in terms of results, but I wouldn't dare, not today anyway ) he's not a hero to me and has courted a lot of praise simply by not getting on with a man that other people tend not to get on with.

Ah, I see. In the 14 games he oversaw AND taking into account where started and the farce that then followed, he should have done more. Now I get you...

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024