Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phillips 00:11 - Dec 16 with 3479 viewsBklynRanger

From what I saw tonight I still don't think he's a lost cause. I'm basing that on how dangerous he looked the ONE time he got on the edge of their box. Also the strange fact that his first touch seemed to be really good.

The problem was he was playing like a RWB for most of the match. I saw Isla shooing him forward a couple of times which shouldn't be needed for any winger with a shred of confidence about them.

I don't know, I'd just rather we got his head and fitness right than spunk another 5 mill on a show-pony in January.
Phillips on 08:24 - Dec 16 with 2829 viewsozexile

But what does he actually do? He's no attacking threat. He doesn't seem to do any amazing defensive work. He never gives a defender anything to think about. He never makes a run that might open up a defense. He never plays a killer pass. Etc etc
Phillips on 08:28 - Dec 16 with 2823 viewsWestonsuperR

I thought he was dreadful and totally wasted an opportunity for a regular place in the team, struggling to thinking of anything positive he did and rightly subbed early in the second half.
Phillips on 08:32 - Dec 16 with 2816 viewsheadhoops

as I've said on another thread he is so far out of his depth at this level even sonar wouldn't locate him.

Poll: Remy - can he play in the playoffs - who's opening post is the best?

Phillips on 08:36 - Dec 16 with 2802 viewsRangersw12

Definitely worth keeping he has had a couple of injury setbacks and has never really had a proper run in the side

We need to try improve players rather than just discard them
Phillips on 08:38 - Dec 16 with 2796 viewsconnell10

turn him into a striker , he is big enough!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Phillips on 08:38 - Dec 16 with 2794 viewssimmo

To be fair to him he's a natural push and run winger, he goes past people on the outside and delivers crosses. That was obviously not his mandate last night as we only had little boy Vargas in the middle (if he hadn't drifted wide). It may be different with Austin and possibly Zamora too where he actually has a legitimate target to hit.

I quite like Phillips, I am hopeful he will come good. He's still a good option for us, especially away from home.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Phillips on 08:41 - Dec 16 with 2785 viewshoopdog

Imo this is a player that has true ability yet is clueless ,
What BZ does in chasing down defenders makes him of great value to the team but does it any great skill ? No just willingnes yet Phillips doesn't see the need to give a try but he could cause real panic in defenders with his pace he would on them in a second
Phillips on 08:42 - Dec 16 with 2777 viewsLadbrokeGrover

Phillips is a joke. He is not even close to being a Premiership footballer (whatever that means). How long has he been with us now? I was all for the 'lets work with him because he has the essential tools and just needs good coaching'. Absolutely nothing has improved apart from his physique which I suspect he cares about more than actually improving as a footballer. And I'm sick of watching him bottle out of every fu@king tackle there is for him to win.

Fu@k right off Matty Boy.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2014 8:46]
Login to get fewer ads

Phillips on 08:55 - Dec 16 with 2749 viewsbosh67

I see the potential of a good Championship player but nothing that leads me to think he can cope at this level. When you compare his performance to Hoilett's last night you simply can't.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Phillips on 09:08 - Dec 16 with 2730 viewsozexile

Phillips on 08:38 - Dec 16 by simmo

To be fair to him he's a natural push and run winger, he goes past people on the outside and delivers crosses. That was obviously not his mandate last night as we only had little boy Vargas in the middle (if he hadn't drifted wide). It may be different with Austin and possibly Zamora too where he actually has a legitimate target to hit.

I quite like Phillips, I am hopeful he will come good. He's still a good option for us, especially away from home.

But even if he did go past the full back it would stretch the defence. He doesn't even try. He just controls the ball and passes it back and stands still or miscontrols it and then stands still.
Phillips on 09:17 - Dec 16 with 2702 viewsSpiritofGregory

Phillips on 08:38 - Dec 16 by simmo

Why are we always having to wait for players to come good.
Phillips on 11:08 - Dec 16 with 2616 viewssimmo

Phillips on 09:17 - Dec 16 by SpiritofGregory

Because the alternative is to go out and get another player, spending more money on transfer fees, signing bonuses, agent fees and 3-4 years of commitment to additional wages. All the time keeping the original player we purchased as we can't shift him due to nobody paying at the same rate we do.

Phillips is relatively young, has shown glimpses of positive play before his injuries and is a player that definitely has the potential to improve. Your alternatives are to replace him with another similar gamble or pay through the nose for a finished/proven article, if you can convince someone like that to come to QPR for more than just big wages.

Instead of 'waiting for players to come good' we should be proactive about underperforming players. Let's identify what they are doing wrong, what they have done or are doing well, a bit of coaching one on one to re-instill confidence and belief in themselves. Concentrate on why they were bought in the first place and look to capitalise on those strengths. These are the type of players that always seem to perform well for other teams, rather than at QPR who don't have an ethos or style that they can have in mind when looking for new additions. It's just throwing individuals onto a pitch and if/when that doesnt work replacing them with the same lack of forethought. Let's fck that way of doing things off and look to make everybody we have at the club better.
[Post edited 16 Dec 2014 11:18]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Phillips on 11:11 - Dec 16 with 2600 viewsadhoc_qpr

He was awful, as he have been everytime he's stepped on the pitch this season.

If Austin had been available and Vargas playing on the right it would have been a different game.
Phillips on 11:58 - Dec 16 with 2549 viewspaulparker

The only positive I can say about Phillips is that his kit doesn't need washing

he shirked every challenge , didn't know when to make runs , he did fark all
maybe he knows his days are up at Rangers who knows
frustrating thing is there is a good player in there somewhere , maybe its the QPR curse

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Phillips on 12:53 - Dec 16 with 2497 viewsjoolsyp

Phillips on 11:08 - Dec 16 by simmo

Because the alternative is to go out and get another player, spending more money on transfer fees, signing bonuses, agent fees and 3-4 years of commitment to additional wages. All the time keeping the original player we purchased as we can't shift him due to nobody paying at the same rate we do.

Phillips is relatively young, has shown glimpses of positive play before his injuries and is a player that definitely has the potential to improve. Your alternatives are to replace him with another similar gamble or pay through the nose for a finished/proven article, if you can convince someone like that to come to QPR for more than just big wages.

Instead of 'waiting for players to come good' we should be proactive about underperforming players. Let's identify what they are doing wrong, what they have done or are doing well, a bit of coaching one on one to re-instill confidence and belief in themselves. Concentrate on why they were bought in the first place and look to capitalise on those strengths. These are the type of players that always seem to perform well for other teams, rather than at QPR who don't have an ethos or style that they can have in mind when looking for new additions. It's just throwing individuals onto a pitch and if/when that doesnt work replacing them with the same lack of forethought. Let's fck that way of doing things off and look to make everybody we have at the club better.

Good post but you forget we have Messrs Rednapp, Jordan and Bondy Bond in charge. They wouldn't know how to develop potential in an under performing player if it was Gareth bloody Bale they were coaching.
(No subject) (n/t) on 12:54 - Dec 16 with 2495 viewsjoolsyp

Phillips on 11:08 - Dec 16 by simmo

Phillips on 13:10 - Dec 16 with 2465 viewshoopdog

Phillips on 12:53 - Dec 16 by joolsyp

Good post but you forget we have Messrs Rednapp, Jordan and Bondy Bond in charge. They wouldn't know how to develop potential in an under performing player if it was Gareth bloody Bale they were coaching.

I could be wrong but I thought that is what they did at Spurs
Phillips on 13:16 - Dec 16 with 2459 viewsAntti_Heinola

Phillips on 13:10 - Dec 16 by hoopdog

I could be wrong but I thought that is what they did at Spurs

ah, the old, Bale would be nowhere if it wasn't for Redknapp line.
Bale was lucky he didn't end up at Birmingham for about £3m under Redknapp. What a joke.
I don't think one single player has ever significantly improved under the coaching eye of Harry Redknapp - not since his West Ham days, anyway. Certainly none have with us, with the possible exception of Austin.

Bare bones.

Phillips on 15:17 - Dec 16 with 2411 viewsBklynRanger

I'll put most of you down as 'maybe' then... :)

Put it this way - Hoilett probably came off thinking he'd had a good second half, and by his standards he sort of did. Achieved nothing really but what's new? Phillips must have known he was, other than one vaguely purposeful run, completely ineffective, but I think the difference is he can improve massively.

I'm not saying it's clearly going to happen but I still think it could. It's probably all hypothetical anyway because January's coming.
Phillips on 15:24 - Dec 16 with 2398 viewstraininvain

Phillips on 09:17 - Dec 16 by SpiritofGregory

Younger players like Phillips and Hoilett often hit rough patches. Look at Ramsey or Song at Arsenal. Most fans wanted them sold and replaced a long time before they came good.
Phillips on 15:38 - Dec 16 with 2362 viewsdaveB

Phillips on 13:16 - Dec 16 by Antti_Heinola

Bale was lucky he didn't end up at Birmingham for about £3m under Redknapp. What a joke.
I don't think one single player has ever significantly improved under the coaching eye of Harry Redknapp - not since his West Ham days, anyway. Certainly none have with us, with the possible exception of Austin.

I don't think anyone has ever said that wit a straight face, even redknapp has denied that Bales rise was anything to do with him
Phillips on 15:45 - Dec 16 with 2348 viewsTacticalR

Previous discussion about Phillips...
http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/128330

Air hostess clique

Phillips on 15:47 - Dec 16 with 2346 viewsWeaverQPR

Trying not to go OTT with Phillips as he has hardly played and when he gets a chance Redflapps puts him up against the England first choice LB.
He did look poor/out of sorts/ devoid of confidence. Maybe a loan spell in Champ is needed to get him firing.

@WeavQPR

Phillips on 15:51 - Dec 16 with 2341 viewsJonDoeman

Phillips on 13:16 - Dec 16 by Antti_Heinola

Out of the horse's mouth Whineola!
______________________________________________-

" Harry Redknapp gave me a real kick up the arse when he arrived,’ he says. ‘He was the one who started the ball rolling. If I didn’t get that kick I wouldn’t be where I am now. It happens with young players, but I needed that kick. "
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11238362/Gareth-Bale-exclusive-intervi

It Is What It Is !!

Phillips on 16:55 - Dec 16 with 2289 viewsLadbrokeGrover

I know Phillips is an attacking player so tackling is not the thing he'll be working on at any opportunity on the training ground but it is a basic skill any footballer in any position needs. I can't remember the last time he went in for a challenge fully committed. For a man of his size and build it's fu@king embarrassing.

For some footballers, the first full blooded tackle they should go in for after a bad leg injury will play in their mind a bit. Fair enough. Phillips has no such excuse, he broke his arm, not a leg. I remember Faurlin after his first cruciate injury, he went in on a crunching tackle and got up with a little smile on his face as if to say 'yeah, that felt good, I'm back'. It got that Monkey off his back straight away. Take note Phillips - you effing bottle job.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024