Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... 13:17 - Feb 3 with 7783 viewsTrundle10

Shelvey for me, more direct and will work harder in defence. Him and Gomis looked a good pairing v Saints too.

*stands back and waits to get slaughtered.......
Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 23:22 - Feb 3 with 2065 viewssomersetsimon

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 15:06 - Feb 3 by LeonisGod

I'd like to see a different Siggy than the one that played with Bony. In his first spell with us he used to get in the box a lot more, but with Bony it was all about feeding Bony at his expense. A more selfish Siggy chipping in with a few more goals would be very nice to see for the rest of the season.

In his first spell we had Danny Graham up front, who spent a lot of his time making runs to pull the defenders out of position, rather than just holding a central position. This gives players like Gylfi (followed by Michu) much more space to run into.
I think Gomis is more likely to do this than Bony.
Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 23:51 - Feb 3 with 2052 viewssully49

Question. Are we at the beginning of a new chapter in SCFC? With all the new guys coming in our squad, is starting to take shape, although there are some obvious round pegs, going forward.
Interesting to listen to the alternative theories of team formations 3-5-1-1, 3-5-2, 4-4-2, Christmas trees, no wingers all of which are great but I've heard it said on this forum about "The Swansea Way" of playing, do we think that GM will stamp his own style of football rather than poke and prod at what is perceived as RM's set up or a mixture of both, or keep the status quo?

There are exciting times ahead once we have our complete squad of players available then anything is a possibility. Sometimes change is a positive thing, but mustn't be confused with change for change sake. But the old adage is if it isn't broke don't fix it....
delete as appropriate

However, I keep coming back to playing time, it's obviously beneficial to keep the starting 11 playing together as a unit as often as is possible, this includes a strong bench to keep it fresh, success breeds success. I am fully aware of injuries, bans, loss of form, red cards but ' what if's ' can never be adequately planned for, just dealt with as and when they occur, having a plan B is ok providing its dealt with in training or becomes second nature as a squad.

Purely as a thought, we could always utilise our squad tactically and pick the team according to who we're playing? All have their merits as well as potential faults. Exciting all nevertheless. SORRY, IF ITS LONG WINDED.

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 23:58 - Feb 3 with 2045 viewsJackTheLad

I'd like to see this with Taylor and Naughton getting forward whenever possible, if we lose the ball Britton and Cork covering full back positons until they get back into position and Ki staying around the middle of the park dictating the play.. the prospect of Shelvey and Sigurdsson unlocking defences..with Britton, Ki and Cork battling in DM at the same time is a mouth watering prospect for me
[Post edited 4 Feb 2015 0:03]

Poll: Who would you like to see take over long term as Manager?

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 00:34 - Feb 4 with 2022 viewsjruss1

Really don't get this at all.

Siggy not only has 8 assists and 4 league goals but I can think of more where he was pretty vital to the build up (passes to Montero to set up Bony home vs Leicester and at West Ham for example) Really impressive production.

IMO Shelvey isn't fit to lace his boots. He can rarely last 90 minutes and doesn't have the vision of Siggy, not even close. Siggy's work rate is also incredible, he really does 'defend from the front'. I'm not convinced you are certain to have that from Shelvey, who usually follows 1 good game with 5 average ones.
Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 02:33 - Feb 4 with 1998 viewssully49

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 00:34 - Feb 4 by jruss1

Siggy not only has 8 assists and 4 league goals but I can think of more where he was pretty vital to the build up (passes to Montero to set up Bony home vs Leicester and at West Ham for example) Really impressive production.

IMO Shelvey isn't fit to lace his boots. He can rarely last 90 minutes and doesn't have the vision of Siggy, not even close. Siggy's work rate is also incredible, he really does 'defend from the front'. I'm not convinced you are certain to have that from Shelvey, who usually follows 1 good game with 5 average ones.

JJSis a work in progress, a rough diamond if you like and a fitter, stronger, committed, more disciplined member of the squad has loads to offer.
I do agree that Siggy is well ahead of him but don't write him off just yet. He is still only 22 years old and if he wants to fight for his first team position, for us that is a win, win situation. It would be really orgasmic if we could play them together though. Siggy, Gomis and Shelvey on the prowl. OMG I'm allowed to dream.

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 02:51 - Feb 4 with 1992 viewsjack247

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 23:58 - Feb 3 by JackTheLad

I'd like to see this with Taylor and Naughton getting forward whenever possible, if we lose the ball Britton and Cork covering full back positons until they get back into position and Ki staying around the middle of the park dictating the play.. the prospect of Shelvey and Sigurdsson unlocking defences..with Britton, Ki and Cork battling in DM at the same time is a mouth watering prospect for me

This is way too negative for me. Expect a lot of 0-0s. For it to work, Taylor and Naughton have to be Cafu type rampaging wing backs. I haven't watched Naughton much for Spurs, but Taylor certainly isn't that. It looks just like a way of shoehorning all the central midfielders in. If you are going to have Cork, Ki and Britton playing, you would be better off using wingers instead of fullbacks as the wingbacks.
Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 10:57 - Feb 4 with 1943 viewsfootball2301

i will point it out again he has thas 4 goals and 8 assists at am shelvey has played holding apart from 2 games at am of which we have won by the way last season jj had 6 goals and 7 assists in cm they both play together but you must have rocks in your head to say jj can't lace siggys boots its laughable
Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 11:54 - Feb 4 with 1922 viewssully49

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 02:51 - Feb 4 by jack247

This is way too negative for me. Expect a lot of 0-0s. For it to work, Taylor and Naughton have to be Cafu type rampaging wing backs. I haven't watched Naughton much for Spurs, but Taylor certainly isn't that. It looks just like a way of shoehorning all the central midfielders in. If you are going to have Cork, Ki and Britton playing, you would be better off using wingers instead of fullbacks as the wingbacks.

I agree. Montero is too good at attacking defences from the left side to be left out, ND seems out of sort for some reason and isn't as effective as last season. AR appears to be a casualty in this and looks like he'd better get used to the bench.

We all seem to agree that a different style of football is perhaps the way forward, which is interesting. Imagine a full forum let loose on this subject, this would be something to behold.

Login to get fewer ads

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 18:06 - Feb 4 with 1859 viewspremierjack

Well said
Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 19:03 - Feb 4 with 1830 viewslibertine

if we have an over abundance of midfield players capable of scoring

then using the Barca/Spanish system 4-6-0 or 4-3-3 same thing.

Its about using tactics within the squad that you've got rather than trying to make the squad fit into your ideal set up.

Look whats happened when we've tried to push players into positions that they aren't able to play in.

When you've got Bony up front whos a very capable striker its been a case of get the ball up to him and he can hold the ball or strike it, but if your striker isn't capable of that then whats the point in getting the ball up to him?
Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 19:22 - Feb 4 with 1820 viewsDr_Winston

Not only is JJS fit to lace Siggy's boots, he's fit to design him an entirely new pair of self lacing boots that will enable him to ping free kicks into the top corner from 80 yards. There cannot be any serious doubt about his ability as a player. His mental aptitude/intelligence is a different matter altogether.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 10:03 - Feb 24 with 1686 viewsZut_Alors

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 15:33 - Feb 3 by Zut_Alors

Anyone think there could be a formation to get Ki, Cork, Shelvey and Siggy in?

Diamond midfield maybe?

Siggy
Montero Ki Shelvey
Cork
[Post edited 3 Feb 2015 15:33]

Ok I had Montero in for Routs, but still...
Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 10:19 - Feb 24 with 1675 viewsBloodyhills

I think Shelvey has done enough in the last few games to deserve a start, as CAM. I'd like to fit in Sigurdson somewhere too. Over all I think Sigi is the better player but Shelvey is in better form at the moment. How lucky are we as a club to have this sort of problem! :-)

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 10:22 - Feb 24 with 1674 viewsBloodyhills

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 14:04 - Feb 3 by football2301

i think with our wide players not performing at the moment and we are close to safety i would like us to experiment with fab
naughton fernandes ash taylor cork briton ki
shelvey siggy
gomis

especially at home

Hmmm, that would be interesting. I think I'd largely go along with that but would play only two from Ki Briton Cork and have either Montero or Routldge offering some width.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 10:52 - Feb 24 with 1646 viewsjojaca

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 10:22 - Feb 24 by Bloodyhills

Hmmm, that would be interesting. I think I'd largely go along with that but would play only two from Ki Briton Cork and have either Montero or Routldge offering some width.

If we had lost to Man Utd, we would all be slating Gary Monk for trying out different formation. Horses for courses I would go with. What I like about Siggy and JJS in same team is their ability to deliver a good ball like JJS's cross for Ki Saturday. Some our wingers are lacking that good delivery into box. You need to have more than just pace in this division.

Even when you know, you never know?

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 12:45 - Feb 24 with 1603 viewskarnataka

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 14:11 - Feb 3 by football2301

fab

naughton fernandes ash taylor

briton cork ki

shelvey siggy

gomis

I think that would a good formation against some teams but against teams with 2 pacey wingers, our fullbacks would struggle with no-one in front of them to track back and help out. Man U started with Young and Valencia on the bench so our formation worked a treat until they came on and started to get the upper hand. Fortunately, one substitution by us, albeit a bit of a late one, and we reverted to having 2 wingers, redressed the balance, nullified that threat and saw the game out.

If Young and Valencia had started and we'd started as we did without dedicated wingers, it could have been a completely different game but I'm sure there probably are other teams we could use it against, we just need to do a bit more homework.
Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 14:12 - Feb 24 with 1575 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 23:58 - Feb 3 by JackTheLad

No wingers. Laudrupesque !

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 16:12 - Feb 24 with 1539 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 10:03 - Feb 24 by Zut_Alors

Ok I had Montero in for Routs, but still...

You nailed it!

And Montero did eventually sub in for Routs, which is in retrospect an even better strategy (fresh Montero vs tired defenders).

Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 16:49 - Feb 24 with 1525 viewsmonmouth

Shelvey must keep his place mustn't he? Which might actually mean we go 'same again' which I think would be a mistake. I would bench Siggy, bring in Montero.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 20:38 - Feb 24 with 1495 viewssully49

They both bring so many different things to the party, a fully focused, disciplined and totally fit Shelvey is potentially dynamic and can pass the ball 40 yards onto a sixpence but then go AWOL or even more worryingly, booked which is an unacceptable liability to the team meaning GM has to look at taking him off, fearing that at any moment going down to 10, what happens if at happens in the first 5 mins?

He is far too often lazy looking (sometimes very lazy) player who at 22 years old looks unfit and unable to complete 90 mins this concerns me. Nevertheless, he certainly has the wow factor PLEASE SHOW IT MORE CONSISTENTLY!!!!!

Siggy has more finesse and works harder in midfield, although he also can get lazy at times, but he also has the wow factor and is much better than JJS at tracking back and has a sweet right foot to bend around any wall as well.

I think I would prefer the traditional wingers, attacking down both flanks terrifying right and left backs everywhere, just my opinion, but I can see the merits of all formations.

It hurts to say that we are probably seeing the last, or certainly last but one, season for little Britton in the PL, he can continue to come on for the last 15 minutes or so, but not for full games any more. GM must look at getting a quality DM to replace him. Somewhere in all these threads lies the probable starting 11 with a nice balance on the bench, but nowhere any strength in depth, unfortunately.

It is a probable certainty that we now can say we are not being relegated this season so let's get the scouts with a GM shopping list and on lots of overtime looking forward to next season.

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 00:06 - Feb 25 with 1457 viewsdameedna

Shelvey or Sigurddson as CAM...... on 14:11 - Feb 3 by football2301

fab

naughton fernandes ash taylor

briton cork ki

shelvey siggy

gomis

i'd have montero in there and take more risk

ki cork
montero shelvey siggy
gomis
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising