Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This forum 15:36 - Feb 3 with 10129 viewsmattjenkins1990

I have been regularly following the planet swans forum and do enjoy a number of the threads and debates posted.

What i cannot understand is why people are so hostile to one another, personal attacks on users including people who contribute regularly and moderators ... why ?

I honestly have seen less petulance in a school playground. We are all Swansea city fans with opinions about the club we love regardless of geographical location, status in the forum, season ticket holders or Trust members. We should not be Verbally attacked for posting our thoughts and opinions, its what makes freedom of speech great.

Swansea is supposed to be a family club, is highly regarded around the UK and the world for this, however this forum doesn't feel very family like to me

Poll: Would you welcome Investment

This forum on 20:01 - Feb 3 with 1752 viewsdickythorpe

This forum on 19:57 - Feb 3 by jacksfullaces

my theory for what it's worth.

board is a great place to get some good info, inside track and now and again see a bit of amusing banter. if you only dip in now and again.

if you spend half your life on this board then you start to take it and others opinions far too seriously and personally. as well as having an inflated view of your own status.

why anyone would want to do the latter is somewhat beyond me.

suspect this is an issue with all message boards though, not just this one ?

Well said.

Internet forums can be great but it can get addictive leading to "irregular and irrational behaviour"

Dip in and out is the key.
This forum on 20:02 - Feb 3 with 1749 viewsJackfath

I agree.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

This forum on 20:36 - Feb 3 with 1712 viewsPhil_S

This forum on 17:34 - Feb 3 by acejack3065

I have no agenda and I just try and post objectively about my football team.

What has been very noticeable and alarming is that since Laudrup has gone there has been a noticeable split in the fanbase.

There has been a complete unacceptance of Monk as a replacement and it's carried on for an entire year. As a manager he has been subject to higher scrutiny than any other Swans boss in recent memory. This has been wholly unfair as Monk has displayed enough loyalty already to the club and the fans, as well as providing some legendary results since taking over. Beating Cardiff in his first game, Man utd away and Arsenal at home are immense achievements which would be enough to cement the reputation of any other Swans manager.

Our style has evolved which is necessary for any team if they wish to stay relevant and successful. We have sacrificed a few possession points for league points whilst still scoring some great goals. Regardless of how our football has transformed into success, some posters have seen this as an ultimate betrayal to the fabled "swansea way", a dogmatic approach that determines that our passes should be short and along the ground. Any deviation from that approach is nothing short of heresy as the system must always be upheld for the east stand sayeth so!

In a direct reaction to such football snobbery and hysterical despair another section of fans has emerged. These fans are so bewildered at the distance of which the other fans have lodged their heads so far up their backsides, they have resorted to over celebrating every little success in order to try and neutralise the nay-sayers.

This has created a polarised planet swans where objectivity and freedom of thought are swallowed up in an entrenched feud between people who feel the need to argue about what Swansea City was and what it is now becoming.

For me it's completely irrelevant as Swansea City are enjoying their 4th year in the Premier League and are two wins away from almost certainly guaranteeing a 5th. We've done it by playing pretty, fighting ugly, singing loudly and upsetting the footballing order. Lastly, we've done it together. Please can we continue to live the dream together!

Pretty much spot on
This forum on 21:08 - Feb 3 with 1678 viewsjackonicko

What has been very noticeable and alarming is that since Laudrup has gone there has been a noticeable split in the fanbase.

There has been a complete unacceptance of Monk as a replacement and it's carried on for an entire year. As a manager he has been subject to higher scrutiny than any other Swans boss in recent memory. This has been wholly unfair as Monk has displayed enough loyalty already to the club and the fans, as well as providing some legendary results since taking over. Beating Cardiff in his first game, Man utd away and Arsenal at home are immense achievements which would be enough to cement the reputation of any other Swans manager.

Our style has evolved which is necessary for any team if they wish to stay relevant and successful. We have sacrificed a few possession points for league points whilst still scoring some great goals. Regardless of how our football has transformed into success, some posters have seen this as an ultimate betrayal to the fabled "swansea way", a dogmatic approach that determines that our passes should be short and along the ground. Any deviation from that approach is nothing short of heresy as the system must always be upheld for the east stand sayeth so!

In a direct reaction to such football snobbery and hysterical despair another section of fans has emerged. These fans are so bewildered at the distance of which the other fans have lodged their heads so far up their backsides, they have resorted to over celebrating every little success in order to try and neutralise the nay-sayers.

This has created a polarised planet swans where objectivity and freedom of thought are swallowed up in an entrenched feud between people who feel the need to argue about what Swansea City was and what it is now becoming.

For me it's completely irrelevant as Swansea City are enjoying their 4th year in the Premier League and are two wins away from almost certainly guaranteeing a 5th. We've done it by playing pretty, fighting ugly, singing loudly and upsetting the footballing order. Lastly, we've done it together. Please can we continue to live the dream together!

Very good post - agree with a lot of that.

It's amazing how polarising Laudrup turned out to be. I remember having a huge amount of man-love for Laudrup in that first season. I think it peaked for me in the COC semi final against Chelsea - but with hindsight it started to wane after that. Yes, the wembley final was good, but it was against Bradford and apart from the selection of Ki at centre-back to keep a few nerves jangling before kick off, it was a procession. After that, the spark seemed to go and whilst there were some moments of terrific make-up sex (Valencia away) the relationship was doomed.

For others, that spark is still very much alive and they continue to hope that one day they'll get back together. Not for me.

However, I was very much against Project Garry. I was fine for it to see out the season, - and I think the board pushed ML at the right time. The vermin game was make or break - and I didn't think ML would get the rallying win that we ended up with. However, to give him the job full time for the full season was lunacy. This was not the time to experiment and I feared the worst.

Happy to put my hands up and say I was wrong. I did much the same to Huw at the fans forum - he clearly knows better than me!

But that's not to say I don't have concerns. Noone can argue with the points on the board and the wins at OT and home to Arsenal are to be cherished. I've patted GM on the back metaphorically for the Soton game.

Someone else posted on here that its a first world problem to worry about the style of play, and it is, but it does worry me. You say we have evolved - but to me evolution means progression and the way we have played this season seems a retrograde step. We can't compete financially with the big boys - we compete by being different, not the same. Southampton are now more Swansea than Swansea - and look where they are in the table. Hell, even when they lost to us on sunday, they lost playing like we used to with all the possession and no penetration :)

I also don''t like the way GM talks about what he does when things go well. Even today, he talks about how he has been speaking with Ash to make him a better captain and leader.

I think some of it is confidence (or lack of), but he is quick to point the finger of blame when things go well but talk about how the team have listened to what he has asked them to do when we win. That grates on me. It grates on others. But whenever GMs tendency to 'me me me' gets brought up, it quickly degenerates on here.

Another good example is the 'coward' thread. The sentiment of that post was true, but that thread quickly got out of control because of who started it. However, Monk was absent in his leadership that day, hiding on the bench when all was going wrong on the pitch. A problem of his own making, with the flawed team he put out, and he ran for cover. Coward is an emotive word - and therefore got a huge reaction - but the point was lost that he wasn't very brave that day either!
This forum on 21:09 - Feb 3 with 1678 viewslittle_britton

This thread has been a good read without anybody abusing other posters,lets hope it's a sign of things to come
This forum on 21:18 - Feb 3 with 1658 viewsjudgejonevs

This forum on 21:08 - Feb 3 by jackonicko

It's amazing how polarising Laudrup turned out to be. I remember having a huge amount of man-love for Laudrup in that first season. I think it peaked for me in the COC semi final against Chelsea - but with hindsight it started to wane after that. Yes, the wembley final was good, but it was against Bradford and apart from the selection of Ki at centre-back to keep a few nerves jangling before kick off, it was a procession. After that, the spark seemed to go and whilst there were some moments of terrific make-up sex (Valencia away) the relationship was doomed.

For others, that spark is still very much alive and they continue to hope that one day they'll get back together. Not for me.

However, I was very much against Project Garry. I was fine for it to see out the season, - and I think the board pushed ML at the right time. The vermin game was make or break - and I didn't think ML would get the rallying win that we ended up with. However, to give him the job full time for the full season was lunacy. This was not the time to experiment and I feared the worst.

Happy to put my hands up and say I was wrong. I did much the same to Huw at the fans forum - he clearly knows better than me!

But that's not to say I don't have concerns. Noone can argue with the points on the board and the wins at OT and home to Arsenal are to be cherished. I've patted GM on the back metaphorically for the Soton game.

Someone else posted on here that its a first world problem to worry about the style of play, and it is, but it does worry me. You say we have evolved - but to me evolution means progression and the way we have played this season seems a retrograde step. We can't compete financially with the big boys - we compete by being different, not the same. Southampton are now more Swansea than Swansea - and look where they are in the table. Hell, even when they lost to us on sunday, they lost playing like we used to with all the possession and no penetration :)

I also don''t like the way GM talks about what he does when things go well. Even today, he talks about how he has been speaking with Ash to make him a better captain and leader.

I think some of it is confidence (or lack of), but he is quick to point the finger of blame when things go well but talk about how the team have listened to what he has asked them to do when we win. That grates on me. It grates on others. But whenever GMs tendency to 'me me me' gets brought up, it quickly degenerates on here.

Another good example is the 'coward' thread. The sentiment of that post was true, but that thread quickly got out of control because of who started it. However, Monk was absent in his leadership that day, hiding on the bench when all was going wrong on the pitch. A problem of his own making, with the flawed team he put out, and he ran for cover. Coward is an emotive word - and therefore got a huge reaction - but the point was lost that he wasn't very brave that day either!

I agree somewhat, human nature is a funny thing, when one person is under pressure they may regress and go 'into themselves', others take the challenge on and come out fighting. This was Garry Monks first real 'hammering' as a manager that I can recall ,not just score line. So he chose not to scream and shout at the players I'm not quite sure how effective that would have been anyway. Coward he certainly was not.

Life is too short !!!!!!!!! Swansea til I die...........

This forum on 21:25 - Feb 3 with 1635 viewsmattjenkins1990

This forum on 21:08 - Feb 3 by jackonicko

Everything you have said is fair and well reasoned. I would not necessarily agree some of the elements of his personality that were mentioned, being honest with you in feel the fact he talks me me me sometimes is down to inexperience with the press. Used to talking as a player rather than a manager, he has come on leaps and bounds in that respect now, handling some very tricky press questions with a humble attitude. I like all would Love to see the free flowing football back and I think It will come once we get a bit of form back

Poll: Would you welcome Investment

This forum on 21:30 - Feb 3 with 1616 viewscockneyswan

This forum on 17:08 - Feb 3 by Darran

Utter nonsense,some people would have loved us to be relegation fodder so Monk would have gone.
Fu*k me Icey its a year tomorrow since Laudrup left and one pri*k is still wa*king over him.

Comedy Gold
Login to get fewer ads

This forum on 21:33 - Feb 3 with 1609 viewsVetchitBack

Excellent Post.

All I'd add is to question the legitimacy of the "lost the Swansea way" argument as it's comng from people who were slagging hm off before he'd starting managing.

The orthodox are always orthodox, regardless of the orthodoxy.

This forum on 21:41 - Feb 3 with 1595 viewsexiledclaseboy

This forum on 21:33 - Feb 3 by VetchitBack

Excellent Post.

All I'd add is to question the legitimacy of the "lost the Swansea way" argument as it's comng from people who were slagging hm off before he'd starting managing.

In most cases it is, but not all. This week especially others who I haven't seen slating Monk before have also expressed concerns on that score. For what it's worth, I don't think that view stands up to any kind of real scrutiny but it's heightened at the moment because we've been in (and are hopefully now coming out of) a shocking run of form culminating in the embarrassments against Chelsea and Blackburn.

Poll: Tory leader

This forum on 21:46 - Feb 3 with 1580 viewsjackonicko

This forum on 21:41 - Feb 3 by exiledclaseboy

In most cases it is, but not all. This week especially others who I haven't seen slating Monk before have also expressed concerns on that score. For what it's worth, I don't think that view stands up to any kind of real scrutiny but it's heightened at the moment because we've been in (and are hopefully now coming out of) a shocking run of form culminating in the embarrassments against Chelsea and Blackburn.

You may be right that it is becoming self-fulfilling as a point to beat with, but from memory those concerns seem to have been bubbling away for longer than that.

I remember watching the Leicester game, being blown away by the Siggy/Bony combination for the goal, but saying back then that we don't play as much of that kind of football anymore.

Leicester was a long time before our current 'shocking run of form' which lets face it is only since Boxing Day.
This forum on 21:49 - Feb 3 with 1571 viewsDarran

This forum on 21:30 - Feb 3 by cockneyswan

Comedy Gold

You can comedy gold as much as you want but it's killing some people that we're 9th in the table under Monk and that as they say is a FACT.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

This forum on 21:53 - Feb 3 with 1549 viewsParlay

This forum on 21:49 - Feb 3 by Darran

You can comedy gold as much as you want but it's killing some people that we're 9th in the table under Monk and that as they say is a FACT.

Rubbish

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

This forum on 21:56 - Feb 3 with 1545 viewsDarran

This forum on 21:46 - Feb 3 by jackonicko

You may be right that it is becoming self-fulfilling as a point to beat with, but from memory those concerns seem to have been bubbling away for longer than that.

I remember watching the Leicester game, being blown away by the Siggy/Bony combination for the goal, but saying back then that we don't play as much of that kind of football anymore.

Leicester was a long time before our current 'shocking run of form' which lets face it is only since Boxing Day.

I honestly don't think any club in the world could continually play this "Swansea Way" malarkey myself,if it was that easy a style of play to play most clubs would be having a go.
In fact I think it's virtually impossible to do week in week out season after season especially whilst different players evolve into different teams.

This forum on 21:57 - Feb 3 with 1539 viewsDarran

This forum on 21:53 - Feb 3 by Parlay

Rubbish

Yeah you crack on Walter.

This forum on 22:06 - Feb 3 with 1528 viewscockneyswan

Not killing me mate I can assure you, I'm loving it
[Post edited 3 Feb 2015 23:03]
This forum on 22:14 - Feb 3 with 1511 viewsParlay

This forum on 21:57 - Feb 3 by Darran

Yeah you crack on Walter.

Calling you out on your guff?

Ok

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

This forum on 22:29 - Feb 3 with 1496 viewsBobJack

Could you start typing " Incorrect" or "totally unfounded" before typing the word "Fact", in your recent posts it would indeed help it become a "Fact".

😨.

Poll: Most FAVOURITE Swansea City Manager to date

This forum on 22:58 - Feb 3 with 1450 viewsSwanseajill

This forum on 21:56 - Feb 3 by Darran

I honestly don't think any club in the world could continually play this "Swansea Way" malarkey myself,if it was that easy a style of play to play most clubs would be having a go.
In fact I think it's virtually impossible to do week in week out season after season especially whilst different players evolve into different teams.

The Swansea way was instigated through the management of Roberto. We lost it somewhat when Paulo became manager, but there it was again once Brendan led the team.

We now have an entirely different squad of players, barring A few still here from Roberto's management....so,it's going to be different!

I don't understand the fans who won't accept Garry due to his lack of experience? Isn't that exactly what happened when Roberto took over? He had no experience, and although we were in a lower league, for me personally it meant as much to me ..then, as it does now.
Or do some of our fans believe we were belittling ourselves taking a manager from a squad player and promoting him?
This forum on 23:14 - Feb 3 with 1425 viewsLord_Bony

Well said SawanseaJill.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

This forum on 08:29 - Feb 4 with 1343 viewsBrynmill_Jack

This forum on 16:46 - Feb 3 by mattjenkins1990

I don't think anyone would want monk to "Fail", that would imply they do not want to see the club succeed which I think is counter intuitive for any fan

People may not believe that monk is the right man for the job / may not like what he is doing and are perfectly entitled to that opinion.

Each to there own.

Some valid points made, particually in relation to derailing threads, if people want to bicker, PM one another as it is very tedious for the other 99% of people who come to read about this great football club

It's the debating position of a three year old child. You criticize me so you must hate me. Only this is coming from an alleged school teacher and a former (I think he no longer is) moderator.

To be honest I think it's embarrassing.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

This forum on 08:38 - Feb 4 with 1331 viewsBrynmill_Jack

This forum on 17:08 - Feb 3 by Darran

Utter nonsense,some people would have loved us to be relegation fodder so Monk would have gone.
Fu*k me Icey its a year tomorrow since Laudrup left and one pri*k is still wa*king over him.

To be fair this post of yours reveals not so much that people are Monk haters, more like you are a Laudrup hater. And even sadder the reason probably revolves around him refusing you an autograph or a photograph with him Darran.

Nobody wants Monk to fail, it's only your absolute hatred of Michael Laudrup that skewes your viewpoint on people posting objectively on our style of play etc etc. If you REALLY believe , like PRJ that Swansea fans of many years standing actively WANT the manager and therefore the club to fail contrary to any logical reasoning then it is you that have serious issues my friend, not other posters.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

This forum on 08:47 - Feb 4 with 1326 viewsDarran

This forum on 08:38 - Feb 4 by Brynmill_Jack

To be fair this post of yours reveals not so much that people are Monk haters, more like you are a Laudrup hater. And even sadder the reason probably revolves around him refusing you an autograph or a photograph with him Darran.

Nobody wants Monk to fail, it's only your absolute hatred of Michael Laudrup that skewes your viewpoint on people posting objectively on our style of play etc etc. If you REALLY believe , like PRJ that Swansea fans of many years standing actively WANT the manager and therefore the club to fail contrary to any logical reasoning then it is you that have serious issues my friend, not other posters.

Nah whilst Laudrup was manager I stuck up for him and supported him fully,the day he went I moved on.
I'm open to a bet of any amount of money if you can prove me wrong mind by showing me a post I made with my absolute hatred of Michael Laudrup that's over a year old.

This forum on 08:48 - Feb 4 with 1325 viewsPonderosa

The reluctance to accept Monk is because of who he is. Where he came from. His background. Unless Laudrup got replaced by Mourinho some of our fans would never have accepted whoever the replacement was. But because it was Monk, the club captain, and the person viewed by some as the Union Leader who led the great revolution against the Great Dane. And I'm pretty sure that if Laudrup was still here and we were on 33 points at this point of the season the negative side of this forum would be creaming in their pants. He was on a hiding to nothing from day one.

Bring The Missus

This forum on 08:51 - Feb 4 with 1321 viewsDarran

This forum on 08:48 - Feb 4 by Ponderosa

The reluctance to accept Monk is because of who he is. Where he came from. His background. Unless Laudrup got replaced by Mourinho some of our fans would never have accepted whoever the replacement was. But because it was Monk, the club captain, and the person viewed by some as the Union Leader who led the great revolution against the Great Dane. And I'm pretty sure that if Laudrup was still here and we were on 33 points at this point of the season the negative side of this forum would be creaming in their pants. He was on a hiding to nothing from day one.

Spot on,a year ago today Laudrup left and some people are still distraught.
It's pathetic and embarrassing.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024