Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model 00:51 - Feb 25 with 4182 viewsNookiejack

Apparently the only NFL team that is owned by its fans. Non-Profit organisation owned by 300,000 fans. Apparently this ownership model peeves off rest of NFL.

Fans see their stake in the Packers as a public good and no dividends are paid.

Could Trust build some alliances with them - especially if PL expands more into the States? I don't know how much NFL clubs see 'soccer' as a threat. The timing of the NFL season and US soccer season seem to be different.

Any views from our US fans?
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 01:50 - Feb 25 with 2776 viewsTummer_from_Texas

The big difference is the salary cap in the NFL. As a result, there is really no such thing as "haves" and "have nots," and the big name players out there aren't beyond the resources of the smaller clubs.

Otherwise, it wouldn't work for Green Bay, even with all their history.

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 01:51 - Feb 25 with 2775 viewsstAteSwan

Green Bay is run differently than Swansea though. 100 percent of the team is community owned. No person is allowed to own more than 4 percent of the Franchise, and those shares cannot be traded, cannot have interest collected on them, and they cannot be sold. One simply cannot just by shares in the Green Bay Packers. If a person sells their shares, they must be sold to the team at a fraction of the original cost, and shares cannot be traded, unless the trade is to an immediate family member. (I.E. Father to Son) Shares may be given as gifts, but no interest can be collected. Shareholders have no rights. They do not have season ticket preference, nor ticket preference for games. The only thing they have, is voting rights, and an invitation to the annual Shareholders meeting.

The Shareholders elect a 45 person Board of Directors to begin running the organization, and that 45 person board appoints a 7 person executive committee to make all decisions and represent the team at NFL meetings. Interestingly enough, it is against NFL rules for a team to be fan owned. They must be owned by a single or small group of owners. The Packers are grandfathered in.

Now, as for the relationship of the NFL to MLS. You'll find many NFL teams actually backing local MLS squads, and even offering stadium use for matches. Many MLS teams are owned by people with ownership rights to another professional sports franchise.

Could Swansea work with the Packers? Sure. I know the Club already has a base in Milwaukee of sorts, and there is no local MLS squad in Wisconsin. I think the best solution for the club if they want an increased brand in the states is to sort of partner with a current MLS squad. This is becoming increasingly popular. Clubs don't share owners, but they have a working relationship that allows European clubs to have first rights to buying players from the MLS team, in exchange for the European club agreeing to loan players out to MLS when they need first team experience.
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 02:12 - Feb 25 with 2763 viewsNookiejack

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 01:51 - Feb 25 by stAteSwan

Green Bay is run differently than Swansea though. 100 percent of the team is community owned. No person is allowed to own more than 4 percent of the Franchise, and those shares cannot be traded, cannot have interest collected on them, and they cannot be sold. One simply cannot just by shares in the Green Bay Packers. If a person sells their shares, they must be sold to the team at a fraction of the original cost, and shares cannot be traded, unless the trade is to an immediate family member. (I.E. Father to Son) Shares may be given as gifts, but no interest can be collected. Shareholders have no rights. They do not have season ticket preference, nor ticket preference for games. The only thing they have, is voting rights, and an invitation to the annual Shareholders meeting.

The Shareholders elect a 45 person Board of Directors to begin running the organization, and that 45 person board appoints a 7 person executive committee to make all decisions and represent the team at NFL meetings. Interestingly enough, it is against NFL rules for a team to be fan owned. They must be owned by a single or small group of owners. The Packers are grandfathered in.

Now, as for the relationship of the NFL to MLS. You'll find many NFL teams actually backing local MLS squads, and even offering stadium use for matches. Many MLS teams are owned by people with ownership rights to another professional sports franchise.

Could Swansea work with the Packers? Sure. I know the Club already has a base in Milwaukee of sorts, and there is no local MLS squad in Wisconsin. I think the best solution for the club if they want an increased brand in the states is to sort of partner with a current MLS squad. This is becoming increasingly popular. Clubs don't share owners, but they have a working relationship that allows European clubs to have first rights to buying players from the MLS team, in exchange for the European club agreeing to loan players out to MLS when they need first team experience.

That's a terrific response and great insight.

I was just thinking we are the odd one out in the PL with our fan based model and was thinking could be interesting if we partnered with the Packers - the odd one out in the NFL - with their fan based structure.

It sounds appealing to me. Packers come across as a team that are run by the fans - for the fans - not buying into rich owner/big corporate model. Thats the way I perceive them - although might not be the case in reality.

Very interesting about what you have said with regards to NFL teams getting involved with MLS teams and potential for Swansea to partner with MLS team to increase brand in States.
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 02:14 - Feb 25 with 2761 viewsNookiejack

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 01:50 - Feb 25 by Tummer_from_Texas

The big difference is the salary cap in the NFL. As a result, there is really no such thing as "haves" and "have nots," and the big name players out there aren't beyond the resources of the smaller clubs.

Otherwise, it wouldn't work for Green Bay, even with all their history.

Thanks for your response as well Tummer from Texas
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 02:28 - Feb 25 with 2754 viewsNookiejack

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 01:51 - Feb 25 by stAteSwan

Reading your commentary again about the Green Bay ownership structure again - it looks like an example of totally fan owned model we should be aing for. I think most of our fans would hope we could eventually achieve something like the Packers. Also no money is being taken out through dividends etc. So the franchise I would assume is financially solid. Any surplus income being reinvested in the franchise. Noting it is a non-profit organisation.

Really think there is some sort of branding win could be achieved linking up fan owned Swansea with fan owned Green Bay - for example. There is some uniqueness there.
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 05:21 - Feb 25 with 2727 viewsstAteSwan

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 02:28 - Feb 25 by Nookiejack

Reading your commentary again about the Green Bay ownership structure again - it looks like an example of totally fan owned model we should be aing for. I think most of our fans would hope we could eventually achieve something like the Packers. Also no money is being taken out through dividends etc. So the franchise I would assume is financially solid. Any surplus income being reinvested in the franchise. Noting it is a non-profit organisation.

Really think there is some sort of branding win could be achieved linking up fan owned Swansea with fan owned Green Bay - for example. There is some uniqueness there.

It's a concept that is interesting to say the least. Swansea needs to increase its brand in the states for sure. Amazingly, there's a lot of room for it. A lot of the giant clubs are already ingrained over here, but clubs like Swansea and other PL clubs at our level have very little exposure overall.

One thing I would point out is advertising. Swansea's trip over here last year was poorly advertised in this area. In fact, several major Premier League based writers over here failed to even mention our trip when they were giving reports on other BPL clubs over here. The Milwaukee match sold because of who we were playing...It was advertised that Chivas Guadilahara was playing, not that Swansea was.

That being said, the way the club handled the Chicago Training Camp earned them a set of fans in that area. Players were far more friendly to fans than the average BPL team that comes over here.
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 06:49 - Feb 25 with 2693 viewsJethroJack

Let's get the Swans linked up with Chicago Fire...simply because I've decided to "adopt" them as my US team when Sky show MLS games (see other thread).

After all, Chicago ain't that far from Green Bay (although I have to admit I'm a Bears fan, having seen them at Soldier Field).
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 08:08 - Feb 25 with 2641 viewswhiterock

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 06:49 - Feb 25 by JethroJack

Let's get the Swans linked up with Chicago Fire...simply because I've decided to "adopt" them as my US team when Sky show MLS games (see other thread).

After all, Chicago ain't that far from Green Bay (although I have to admit I'm a Bears fan, having seen them at Soldier Field).

North Shore United is Green Bay area, I'm sure the Swans have a tie up here? Didn't they North Shore club buy 1,000 tickets for our game in Milwaukee last summer?
Login to get fewer ads

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 08:23 - Feb 25 with 2620 viewsJethroJack

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 08:08 - Feb 25 by whiterock

North Shore United is Green Bay area, I'm sure the Swans have a tie up here? Didn't they North Shore club buy 1,000 tickets for our game in Milwaukee last summer?

Don't know, are North Shore Utd in division below MLS?
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 08:39 - Feb 25 with 2605 viewswhiterock

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 08:23 - Feb 25 by JethroJack

Youth team

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 16:42 - Feb 25 with 2484 viewsstAteSwan

It's the primary soccer camp and Wisconsin, and yes we do partner with them.
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 16:43 - Feb 25 with 2484 viewsstAteSwan

It's the primary youth soccer training facility in Wisconsin, and yes we do partner with them.
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 19:19 - Feb 25 with 2442 viewsNookiejack

A question for 'Stateswan' and 'Tummer from Texas'

Why did you start supporting the Swans?

1. Ex-pat?
2. Welsh connection?
3. Started watching Swans on TV and liked passing style etc!
4. Under-dog PL team (i.e. Small Club punching above it's weight)? Compared to the Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool 'glory boy' teams?

Just thinking if we are targeting US - which type of fans should we be targeting - to make us different from the 'Glory Boy' teams?
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 19:28 - Feb 25 with 2433 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 19:19 - Feb 25 by Nookiejack

A question for 'Stateswan' and 'Tummer from Texas'

Why did you start supporting the Swans?

1. Ex-pat?
2. Welsh connection?
3. Started watching Swans on TV and liked passing style etc!
4. Under-dog PL team (i.e. Small Club punching above it's weight)? Compared to the Man U, Chelsea, Liverpool 'glory boy' teams?

Just thinking if we are targeting US - which type of fans should we be targeting - to make us different from the 'Glory Boy' teams?

Mostly #4 and a little of #3. I've never even been to Wales (or the UK for that matter).

I think if Americans were ever forced to watch JTAK, there would be a lot more like me.

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 19:32 - Feb 25 with 2424 viewsLeonisGod

Great thread. I can't see a board of 45 directors going down well on here!
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 20:00 - Feb 25 with 2403 viewsjack247

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 19:28 - Feb 25 by Tummer_from_Texas

Mostly #4 and a little of #3. I've never even been to Wales (or the UK for that matter).

I think if Americans were ever forced to watch JTAK, there would be a lot more like me.

That's quite an interesting comment actually, JTAK could well be the best vehicle we, or any other team our size competing with the big fish have had, when it comes to attracting overseas fans. It sets us apart and gives neutrals a reason to adopt us. The problem is obviously getting exposure, but I bet there are plenty of TV channels in the states and other parts of the world that would love to show it.
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 20:11 - Feb 25 with 2392 viewsNookiejack

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 20:00 - Feb 25 by jack247

That's quite an interesting comment actually, JTAK could well be the best vehicle we, or any other team our size competing with the big fish have had, when it comes to attracting overseas fans. It sets us apart and gives neutrals a reason to adopt us. The problem is obviously getting exposure, but I bet there are plenty of TV channels in the states and other parts of the world that would love to show it.

Yes it really is. I for one didn't appreciate the potential power of it.
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 20:15 - Feb 25 with 2386 viewsNookiejack

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 19:32 - Feb 25 by LeonisGod

Great thread. I can't see a board of 45 directors going down well on here!

No imagine that 45 directors!!!!

Just in case someone hasn't followed the entire thread (and just picked up last few comments) 'Stateswan' says above the 45 elect a 7 person Executive Committee to run the Green Bay Packers franchise.
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 20:27 - Feb 25 with 2373 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 20:00 - Feb 25 by jack247

Agreed. There's a great ESPN feature documentary program here called "30 for 30." Some of the soccer (football) related subjects have included the Hillsborough disaster, and the murder of Colombian player Andres Escobar after his OG in the 1994 WC. Would be nice if they adapted JTAK into an hour-long version for that.

POTY 2015

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 20:43 - Feb 25 with 2353 viewsNookiejack

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 20:27 - Feb 25 by Tummer_from_Texas

Agreed. There's a great ESPN feature documentary program here called "30 for 30." Some of the soccer (football) related subjects have included the Hillsborough disaster, and the murder of Colombian player Andres Escobar after his OG in the 1994 WC. Would be nice if they adapted JTAK into an hour-long version for that.

Hopefully someone reading this - who knows Leigh Dineen could pass this feedback on to him.
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 20:45 - Feb 25 with 2349 viewsNookiejack

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 20:43 - Feb 25 by Nookiejack

Hopefully someone reading this - who knows Leigh Dineen could pass this feedback on to him.

......Leigh Dineen being our Commercial Director - so assume he has responsibility for this.
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 20:47 - Feb 25 with 2344 viewsairedale

One point that I would like to make though. This sounds brilliant from where I'm sitting, but then I thought that the current directors, if they sold their shares to the fans, would want the market value for the shares wouldn't they?
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 21:07 - Feb 25 with 2319 viewsNookiejack

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 19:28 - Feb 25 by Tummer_from_Texas

I realise 'Tummer from Texas' is only a market sample of one - but you do hear of similar stories of why fans join us - instead of the glory boys is because of us being the under dog and playing pretty football. Not only in States but across the World.

I wonder how you could capture that in one slogan - encapsulating under dog/pretty football.

Without then being taken the pi?s out of by opposition fans.

Something like:-

'Swansea City taking on the Glory Boys'

'Swansea City Jacks - your local team in a global world (a little bit sickly that one)

'Swansea City - the 'Puncher's Chance team'

Yes I know really cr?p but may stimulate some ideas.
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 21:15 - Feb 25 with 2308 viewsNookiejack

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 20:47 - Feb 25 by airedale

One point that I would like to make though. This sounds brilliant from where I'm sitting, but then I thought that the current directors, if they sold their shares to the fans, would want the market value for the shares wouldn't they?

I'm just dreaming as think one day there will be a UK team in PL that will be fan owned like the Packers.

I just think that club would be something a bit different.
Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 21:22 - Feb 25 with 2305 viewsjack247

Green Bay Packers - Fan Ownership Model on 21:07 - Feb 25 by Nookiejack

I realise 'Tummer from Texas' is only a market sample of one - but you do hear of similar stories of why fans join us - instead of the glory boys is because of us being the under dog and playing pretty football. Not only in States but across the World.

I wonder how you could capture that in one slogan - encapsulating under dog/pretty football.

Without then being taken the pi?s out of by opposition fans.

Something like:-

'Swansea City taking on the Glory Boys'

'Swansea City Jacks - your local team in a global world (a little bit sickly that one)

'Swansea City - the 'Puncher's Chance team'

Yes I know really cr?p but may stimulate some ideas.

The story sells itself. To a neutral, it's not about the Swans, or even football necessarily, it's about a rags to riches tale of local fans and businessmen stepping up to the plate and saving something irrelevant to most people, but meant everything to them. If there is a sequel where some of them try to sell to venture capitalists, we could possibly leave that bit out!

Seriously though, that kind of story, being sold to one of the biggest and richest populations in the world, where football is one of the fastest growing sports and most people have no real allegiance to any team. Seems like a perfect opportunity. I would think this has already been looked into by the club and/or the production company though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024