Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. 21:40 - May 7 with 22781 viewsexiledclaseboy

Fill yer boots kids. Could be a long night.

Poll: Tory leader

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:07 - May 8 with 1469 viewsyescomeon

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 09:56 - May 8 by londonlisa2001

No one said any different.

But the SNP's figures just 8 months ago would have led to a bankrupt Scotland by now. Sturgeon said 'well, everyone makes mistakes'.

Without their unrealistic (and in fact, stupid) estimates on oil prices, they don't have a workable economy. You watch the lack of calls from them for full fiscal autonomy after today - why? Because they can't afford it.

I don't believe that they can't afford it.

Upthecity!

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:08 - May 8 with 1464 viewsWarwickHunt

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 08:35 - May 8 by waynekerr55

It may be a blessing in disguise. Labour can clear the decks, rethink their strategies and go again and provide a genuine alternative

Perhaps not letting policies being decided by skunk smoking, 'Bow drinking students would be a start...
The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:11 - May 8 with 1454 viewsWarwickHunt

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 05:32 - May 8 by exiledclaseboy

Ah Esther Mcvey lost. That's cheered me up. Back to low rent TV for you, odious harpie.

Someone nip round to Perch's gaff and remove the sharp knives...
The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:12 - May 8 with 1448 viewslondonlisa2001

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:07 - May 8 by yescomeon

I don't believe that they can't afford it.

According to estimates earlier, full fiscal autonomy leaves them with a £7bn funding gap.

That's a lot of tax to raise, particularly when any high earner will immediately move over the border to England and any big companies will move as well at the first hint of increased corporation tax.

The SNP leadership were terrified when it looked like they may win the referendum - they knew their figures were crap. They want devo max and unfairly high funding for Scotland under Barnett.
The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:18 - May 8 with 1427 viewsskippyjack

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:08 - May 8 by WarwickHunt

Perhaps not letting policies being decided by skunk smoking, 'Bow drinking students would be a start...

While you have a non smoking.. Non drinking.. Non drug taking..non Steroid abusing..non Protein overdosing.. Healthy eating.. Non womanising.. Gym going jobless person.. I have a real bad attitude! My attitude is so bad it's frightening!..

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:20 - May 8 with 1419 viewsyescomeon

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:12 - May 8 by londonlisa2001

According to estimates earlier, full fiscal autonomy leaves them with a £7bn funding gap.

That's a lot of tax to raise, particularly when any high earner will immediately move over the border to England and any big companies will move as well at the first hint of increased corporation tax.

The SNP leadership were terrified when it looked like they may win the referendum - they knew their figures were crap. They want devo max and unfairly high funding for Scotland under Barnett.

The SNP wanted to cut corporation tax to encourage business to Scotland. An independent Scotland would have the power to borrow money, so they would not be bankrupt.

Upthecity!

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:28 - May 8 with 1399 viewstrampie

Conservatives - good result, Labour - awful result, Lib-Dems - awful result, SNP - fantastic result, Plaid and Greens as they were, UKIP - need to learn how to compete in FPTP.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:29 - May 8 with 1394 viewstrampie

The Conservative party are true to their roots, unlike Labour who are traitors to the working class, now what to do with any wealth that comes my way ?.........hmm, sports car ?, exotic holiday ?, buy a racehorse ?, spend out on the house or upgrade to another house ?, decision's, decision's.
There are going to be no tax rises for 5 years, isn't that what they said ?, pity about the have not's but hey its a capitalist world, now the election has been and gone and the UK has decided, its pointless wasting time thinking about them, look after #1 is the me me me society we live in, so I wonder what other goodies the Conservatives are going to give me at the expense of the less well off.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Login to get fewer ads

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:32 - May 8 with 1387 viewsLohengrin

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 05:32 - May 8 by exiledclaseboy

Ah Esther Mcvey lost. That's cheered me up. Back to low rent TV for you, odious harpie.

I would.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:36 - May 8 with 1380 viewslondonlisa2001

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:20 - May 8 by yescomeon

The SNP wanted to cut corporation tax to encourage business to Scotland. An independent Scotland would have the power to borrow money, so they would not be bankrupt.

Yes - because their figures were wrong to the tune of billions of pounds.

And you can only borrow money against your future ability to repay, otherwise, as other countries have found it's expensive.

They were wrong on oil, wrong on sterling, wrong on what would happen with the EU, wrong on the big Scottish companies, who all said they would move to England, wrong on their ability to keep UK public sector jobs in and independent Scotland.

Look - at the end of the day, I'd be happy to see them go - be cheaper for the rest of us. Better build some borders though otherwise there'll be no one left up there.
The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:45 - May 8 with 1358 viewsUxbridge

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 09:16 - May 8 by londonlisa2001

Yes and no.

She can't get one for some time - why would the Tories give it? They have absolutely nothing to lose anymore. No one does - that's the irony. The Tory majority means that they are utterly non reliant on any Scottish votes anymore.

And the unionist vote in Scotland last night was bigger than the SNP vote - it's just that the SNP get every vote and the supporters of the Union are split several ways.

She has also said very recently that the referendum was 'once in a generation' - it was only 8 months ago that they lost it. She will have to sit there for at least a few years with no say over anything (not her - the party). During that time, if oil prices stay low and the UK economy picks up, their support may actually drop.

She has done a lot to cause this though - I've been banging on for ages about the 'anti Scottish' feeling in England and the desire up here to make sure that she didn't get any say or power.

It won't take long before the first murmurings of SNP's actions leading to a Tory majority start and that will hurt them.

Maybe. The Tories haven't relied on Scotland for a generation, so that doesn't change it. The question is whether they see themselves as a Unionist party going forward, or whether the south of England sees a future in the UK with Scotland being part of it. Things are going to get more divisive over the coming months, especially if there's an EU referendum on the cards.

Interesting times ahead, constitutionally especially.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:54 - May 8 with 1332 viewslondonlisa2001

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:45 - May 8 by Uxbridge

Maybe. The Tories haven't relied on Scotland for a generation, so that doesn't change it. The question is whether they see themselves as a Unionist party going forward, or whether the south of England sees a future in the UK with Scotland being part of it. Things are going to get more divisive over the coming months, especially if there's an EU referendum on the cards.

Interesting times ahead, constitutionally especially.

The EU referendum will be fascinating.

It may also have a lasting impact in Scotland of course. If the UK vote to come out (which I sincerely hope we don't) and Scotland go independent, they'll have to apply to the EU for entry and will have to adopt the Euro (under current law).
The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 11:09 - May 8 with 1310 viewsepaul

F*ck off Farage is it, one glimmer of light

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 11:23 - May 8 with 1291 viewstrampie

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:54 - May 8 by londonlisa2001

It may also have a lasting impact in Scotland of course. If the UK vote to come out (which I sincerely hope we don't) and Scotland go independent, they'll have to apply to the EU for entry and will have to adopt the Euro (under current law).

Staying in the EU is winning if the polls are to be believed [opinion pollsters don't seem to have much idea, this election being another example].
If England vote to go and their population weight of numbers trump Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales who might vote to stay in then there will be a major problem for the union, particularly with Scotland - just missing out on an independence vote [with every trick in the book used to keep them in the union] then the SNP dominating a General Election and then the EU referendum if it happens like that and the reason why people are talking about it is lots think there is a very good chance that England will vote differently to the Celtic countries on the EU.

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 11:27 - May 8 with 1282 viewspikeypaul

If the UK votes to come out of the EU it's the SNPs dream gone for good.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 11:27 - May 8 with 1268 viewsUxbridge

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 10:54 - May 8 by londonlisa2001

How that impacts Wales would be fascinating. Wales is generally much more pro Europe than England for example, but there's also much less interest in the breakup of the UK than in Scotland. I suspect Wales would also quite happily adopt the Euro as there's no history of our own currency. It'd take that sort of seismic shift to even bring up the independence question in Wales, but bring it up it would I suspect.

I think the EU might make a special case for Scotland. To have a footprint on this island would be far too tempting to pass up.

I do think the UK would vote against leaving the EU though. The arguments are there to be won if there's the remotest political will to do so.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 11:29 - May 8 with 1264 viewsmonmouth

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 11:23 - May 8 by trampie

Staying in the EU is winning if the polls are to be believed [opinion pollsters don't seem to have much idea, this election being another example].
If England vote to go and their population weight of numbers trump Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales who might vote to stay in then there will be a major problem for the union, particularly with Scotland - just missing out on an independence vote [with every trick in the book used to keep them in the union] then the SNP dominating a General Election and then the EU referendum if it happens like that and the reason why people are talking about it is lots think there is a very good chance that England will vote differently to the Celtic countries on the EU.

I think I'm past caring now, or two hours sleep is closing me down, but I'm in Claudius mode. Let all the poisons that lurk in the mud hatch out.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 11:32 - May 8 with 1251 viewslondonlisa2001

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 11:23 - May 8 by trampie

I think when push comes to shove we'll stay in.
The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 11:34 - May 8 with 1245 viewslondonlisa2001

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 11:27 - May 8 by Uxbridge

How that impacts Wales would be fascinating. Wales is generally much more pro Europe than England for example, but there's also much less interest in the breakup of the UK than in Scotland. I suspect Wales would also quite happily adopt the Euro as there's no history of our own currency. It'd take that sort of seismic shift to even bring up the independence question in Wales, but bring it up it would I suspect.

I think the EU might make a special case for Scotland. To have a footprint on this island would be far too tempting to pass up.

I do think the UK would vote against leaving the EU though. The arguments are there to be won if there's the remotest political will to do so.

Spain would veto any special deal I believe.

I agree re the vote though - as in, I think we'll stay in.
The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 11:35 - May 8 with 1239 viewsThe_Bounder

What a wonderful day! Off to have 27 sherries with Byron and the hardworking chaps down Gowerton Con Club! Gower is blue!!!!!!!!!!

Sadly no longer in The Salisbury embracing Premier League football!

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 12:00 - May 8 with 1200 viewsperchrockjack

Esther was too complacent ,friends and the LABOUR woman (scruffy ,bad hair,plain and no you wouldn't) worked hard.

Still, seeing the unctuous Ed s demise was gratifying.

If Andy Burnham succeeds the sibling stabber they will have a real leader and a guy that will go down well ,one who is as genuine as its possible to get in politics now..

He will win them the next election wheras Yvette wont.

How s things in Tory land this morning Phil.

I

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 12:02 - May 8 with 1196 viewsHighjack

For all of the snp's anti tory rhetoric, wiping labour out of scotland will now result in a perennial tory government.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 12:08 - May 8 with 1183 viewsDarran

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 01:15 - May 8 by Highjack

One of my favouriteist ever posts on here was the photo of Darran calling him a w anker. Did that survive the move to the new site?

No it didn't and I don't have a copy either. Gutted 'twas funny.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 12:11 - May 8 with 1178 viewstrampie

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 12:02 - May 8 by Highjack

For all of the snp's anti tory rhetoric, wiping labour out of scotland will now result in a perennial tory government.

Conservatives will end up beating Labour by something like 96 seats the SNP got 56 seats in total, even if Labour had won every single SNP seat they still would have been about 40 seats short of the Conservatives.

The General Election Results/Aftermath Thread. on 12:17 - May 8 with 1160 viewsHighjack

Yes but 40 seats short would be doable given the number of marginal seats in North England/London.

96 seats short they are finished.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024