Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint 18:46 - Jul 31 with 4590 viewsJackfath

I have to ask though,

What's wrong with the Guildhall? Is it full up?

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk/Oceana-new-home-Swansea-Council/story-27

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 18:59 - Jul 31 with 3028 viewsSwanzay

At least something is happening for the Kingsway, even if it is the council giving themselves plush new offices for all the hard work they do making Swansea centre such a vibrant city......
Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 19:08 - Jul 31 with 3016 viewsBanosswan

Prime real estate to bulldoze and get rich off.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 19:11 - Jul 31 with 3007 viewsJackfath

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 19:08 - Jul 31 by Banosswan

Prime real estate to bulldoze and get rich off.

I am all for them selling West Glamorgan headquarters (although that's already tucked up with head of regeneration due a massive kick back from a new complex there) however why buy, demolish and rebuild Oceana site when there is the Guildhall, and also the huge empty tower by High Street station which needs some people in it.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 19:15 - Jul 31 with 2995 viewswaynekerr55

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 19:11 - Jul 31 by Jackfath

I am all for them selling West Glamorgan headquarters (although that's already tucked up with head of regeneration due a massive kick back from a new complex there) however why buy, demolish and rebuild Oceana site when there is the Guildhall, and also the huge empty tower by High Street station which needs some people in it.

Lets play hangman

P _ _ _ G _ _ _ _ _ _ _G

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 19:18 - Jul 31 with 2989 viewsairedale

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 19:15 - Jul 31 by waynekerr55

Lets play hangman

P _ _ _ G _ _ _ _ _ _ _G

'E'
Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 20:25 - Jul 31 with 2911 viewswaynekerr55

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 19:18 - Jul 31 by airedale

'E'

P g e g

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 22:31 - Jul 31 with 2828 viewsBanosswan

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 20:25 - Jul 31 by waynekerr55

P g e g

S

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 22:42 - Jul 31 with 2821 viewsJacTawe

The Guildhall is full, they need another building.

Poll: The anti England chanters, would you vote for Welsh independence?

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 22:49 - Jul 31 with 2809 viewsDull1Thomas

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 19:11 - Jul 31 by Jackfath

tower by High Street station - isn't that privately owned?
[Post edited 31 Jul 2015 22:50]

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 23:30 - Jul 31 with 2770 viewsSweyns_Eye

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 22:49 - Jul 31 by Dull1Thomas

tower by High Street station - isn't that privately owned?
[Post edited 31 Jul 2015 22:50]

Yes, and its currently up for leasing.

http://www.lsh.co.uk/commercial-properties/leasehold/offices/alexandra-house-swa

I would say though that I doubt if any major refurbishment work has been done in it and it could probably do with a fair bit of upgrading, to make any new tenants/occupiers 'comfortable'.

"After the war is over I'm going to buy a British radio set - then at least I'll own something that has always worked". Hermann Goring, 1943.
Poll: How long do you think Monk will last managing Leeds?

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 06:39 - Aug 1 with 2699 viewsJackfath

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 23:30 - Jul 31 by Sweyns_Eye

Yes, and its currently up for leasing.

http://www.lsh.co.uk/commercial-properties/leasehold/offices/alexandra-house-swa

I would say though that I doubt if any major refurbishment work has been done in it and it could probably do with a fair bit of upgrading, to make any new tenants/occupiers 'comfortable'.

A cheaper option though than having to buy, demolish and then rebuild on Oceana? Would also improve that part of the city no end.

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 07:46 - Aug 1 with 2664 viewswaynekerr55

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 22:31 - Jul 31 by Banosswan

S

P

G e s g
[Post edited 1 Aug 2015 7:47]

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 07:48 - Aug 1 with 2659 viewswaynekerr55

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 06:39 - Aug 1 by Jackfath

A cheaper option though than having to buy, demolish and then rebuild on Oceana? Would also improve that part of the city no end.

True. But why let common sense get in the way of a vanity project

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 08:13 - Aug 1 with 2631 viewsjack247

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 06:39 - Aug 1 by Jackfath

I think it's just their way of kidding themselves that the Kingsway isn't completely dead. All that money they have spent on road infrastructure and bendy busses, it's turned out to be a massive white elephant and they are trying to salvage something from it.

Can see parking being an issue.
Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 08:21 - Aug 1 with 2624 viewsLe_Swans

Cheaper for how long? Buying somewhere makes a lot more sense long term, other wise they'll be paying x amount of rent indefinitely. And I'm sure if they are buying / building new there are probably grants available to them to help with that. And with any luck they'll have a look at the kingsway road layout when doing it, going to be a lot more traffic and they'll need to add additional parking somewhere.
Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 08:23 - Aug 1 with 2622 viewsJackfath

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 08:13 - Aug 1 by jack247

I think it's just their way of kidding themselves that the Kingsway isn't completely dead. All that money they have spent on road infrastructure and bendy busses, it's turned out to be a massive white elephant and they are trying to salvage something from it.

Which is why the tower by High Street station would be ideal. There are two car parks opposite. One of which could be developed into a multi storey if needed. Surely if they want to build a "business district", then it needs to be near rail/road links to increase people wanting to invest in the area. That site is completely adequate. Start the rebuilding of the city centre from there and work towards the kingsway.

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 08:23 - Aug 1 with 2622 viewsDr_Winston

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 08:13 - Aug 1 by jack247

Kingsway and the town centre in general was dying long before bendy buses.

Swansea council can't be the only one to actively encourage out of town developments whilst making it progressively more and more difficult to take your car into town, then wonder why the central retail district looks as if it's got about as much life left in it as Prince Philip.

The decision to revamp it for business rather than retail is one of the smarter things they've done in decades.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 09:04 - Aug 1 with 2594 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 08:23 - Aug 1 by Dr_Winston

Swansea council can't be the only one to actively encourage out of town developments whilst making it progressively more and more difficult to take your car into town, then wonder why the central retail district looks as if it's got about as much life left in it as Prince Philip.

The decision to revamp it for business rather than retail is one of the smarter things they've done in decades.

Please can we have half a dozen top hotels on the city part of swansea bay to cater for all our premier league visitors. Almost every other seaside city has developed the bay areas. And still plenty of views. Might just regenerate our city centre.

Beware of the Risen People

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 09:11 - Aug 1 with 2584 viewsJackfath

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 09:04 - Aug 1 by Kilkennyjack

Please can we have half a dozen top hotels on the city part of swansea bay to cater for all our premier league visitors. Almost every other seaside city has developed the bay areas. And still plenty of views. Might just regenerate our city centre.

Sir Terry's resort will tick that box.

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 09:39 - Aug 1 with 2564 viewswaynekerr55

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 08:23 - Aug 1 by Dr_Winston

As the saying goes a clock that's stopped is right twice a day doc

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 11:06 - Aug 1 with 2518 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint (n/t) on 08:23 - Aug 1 by Jackfath

Which is why the tower by High Street station would be ideal. There are two car parks opposite. One of which could be developed into a multi storey if needed. Surely if they want to build a "business district", then it needs to be near rail/road links to increase people wanting to invest in the area. That site is completely adequate. Start the rebuilding of the city centre from there and work towards the kingsway.

I belive the new build will house the front line services and the Library which will be lost when The Civic Centre (County Hall) is sold off. The Guildhall will be for the Political activities and the associated support staff. The thinking being that front line services should be closer Joe Public. I would imagine Princess and Oldway Houses are deemed to far out of the centre and would involve rent or outright purchase. Also the staff in the new build will be shopping and eating lunch in city centre establishments in the main thereby helping with footfall.
Having said that the Council has reduced its staff by over a third from around 11.5k employees. If the 40% cuts hit in full, and equate to staff loses, then the Guildhall and a very small satellite office in the centre could very well suffice!

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 11:17 - Aug 1 with 2508 viewsperchrockjack

Winston bang on the money here.

City centres are all about business and getting people to go INTO the centre. This feeds other networks like retailing .

City Centres that still have vibrant businesses are the successful ones

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 11:26 - Aug 1 with 2498 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 11:17 - Aug 1 by perchrockjack

Winston bang on the money here.

City centres are all about business and getting people to go INTO the centre. This feeds other networks like retailing .

City Centres that still have vibrant businesses are the successful ones

This is true and to harp on about my old hobby horse - Transport infrastructure. That is needed to support the new businesses.
We have followed the American blueprint with out of town shopping malls and suffered the same way with the demise of our City Centres. I think the tide is turning however as shoppers become less and less enamoured with the sterile samey outlets that spring up all around our large cities.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 11:33 - Aug 1 with 2494 viewsperchrockjack

Hate to get all parochial but in our peninsular we have some large outlets and a massive one in Ellesmere Port,a fair sized town that s had the heart of it it ripped asunder and its proundly depressing. Perfect example of how these out of town outlets ruin our cities

I hate them..
The one at Ellesmere Port (Cheshire oaks) attracts millions form the north west ,Cheshire and north Wales in particular. It brings nothing to the area. People don't spend money in the town which is left sterile.

Chester has some but there are more high end shops in Chester City centre and other attractions so the actual centre of CHESTER isd more attractive t shop and spend time than in the Retail parks
which are soulless

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 11:40 - Aug 1 with 2483 viewsPrivate_Partz

Swansea Council moving to new buildings on Oceana footprint on 11:33 - Aug 1 by perchrockjack

Hate to get all parochial but in our peninsular we have some large outlets and a massive one in Ellesmere Port,a fair sized town that s had the heart of it it ripped asunder and its proundly depressing. Perfect example of how these out of town outlets ruin our cities

I hate them..
The one at Ellesmere Port (Cheshire oaks) attracts millions form the north west ,Cheshire and north Wales in particular. It brings nothing to the area. People don't spend money in the town which is left sterile.

Chester has some but there are more high end shops in Chester City centre and other attractions so the actual centre of CHESTER isd more attractive t shop and spend time than in the Retail parks
which are soulless

Indeed. Let's hope these places are returned to the wastelands that they once were. Or inland surfing centres even ;-). I genuinely think that shopping patterns are changing to little and often rather than the big shop in these horrible places. Tesco are really feeling the pinch a the moment and I think more will follow. Parc Tawe in Swansea is a prime example ( albeit a bit more central than some). It is now almost completely empty with Plantasia, Joes and ToysRus hanging on by their fingernails.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024