Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martinez on Saturday ..... 23:03 - Sep 17 with 8826 viewsswansvalleyjack

I honestly think Martinez does not deserve the vitriol from some on this Forum and elsewhere. And I hope that is not the case on Saturday.

As regards Flynn and Jackett, I have nothing but thanks for them in setting us on our way. But let’s be honest — it was Martinez who changed the whole ethos and culture of the Club into what we are today. Does anyone really believe that we would be where we are now without his vision and style of play. (Do we also all remember the long balls to Rory Fallon pre Martinez ! )

And I am not taking anything away from Huw Jenkins and the Board who saved us in the first place, and who had the foresight to appoint Martinez ..…nor am I taking anything from the later Managers (shrewdly appointed by the Board) who have tweaked and cleverly built on Martinez’ ethos.

But that fundamental shift introduced by Martinez has been absolutely crucial to our success.

The vitriol against Martinez is primarily based on his words that he would only go “if forced out”. And in hindsight from his point of view - those were unwise words. But he also had said that while the Board made a very brave decision to give him the job at 33, then as long as “both have the same ambition” it won't be a problem (ie should other clubs come knocking).

This second comment by him is often conveniently missed by critics. As Wales on Line recently reminded us - Martinez had wanted to build on the first season in the Championship and had eyed two midfielders at Hamilton as potential signings. James McCarthy was available for £2m and James McArthur for slightly less but it appeared Swansea couldn't quite stretch themselves to a deal, also unable to turn the loan deal for Jordi Gomez into a permanent one. It planted seeds of doubt in Martinez (about the Club’s ambition). That - plus the lure of his first club Wigan (playing in the Premier League) — was the tipping point.

Now, I am not going to criticise the Board either for that apparent “lack of ambition” at that time — they have been rightly cautious in always looking after the Club’s finances. And maybe things at that moment were moving too fast for a crack at the Premier League - Martinez has previously alluded to this also.

So I won’t be heaping abuse on him when he returns on Saturday. Equally with the passage of time, I won’t be clapping him either — he is after all simply an Opposition Manager now. And though I was gutted at the time when Martinez left, I reflected - after the period of mourning, and looking objectively at Martinez’ reasons - that it’s only us fans who have long term loyalty to their club ; players and managers always move on, one way or another. It’s the simple reality of football life.

But as my Team walks out against Everton in the most exciting League in the world on Saturday , I for one will give a silent and sincere appreciation to Martinez for his absolutely fundamental contribution in getting us there. Thanks Roberto - though I really hope we finally stuff your Club in a League match !!
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:48 - Sep 18 with 1639 viewsDr_Winston

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:45 - Sep 18 by raynor94

In your lifetime?

I was born in 1978. SCFC have been around quite a bit longer than that.

If some people want to keep painting a promotion out of the third division as some major managerial achievement they can go right ahead, The rest of us will keep on putting it in a proper historical context.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:49 - Sep 18 with 1638 viewsDarran

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:45 - Sep 18 by raynor94

In your lifetime?

I think he's confused with the change of names if im honest Rayns.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:58 - Sep 18 with 1613 viewsraynor94

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:48 - Sep 18 by Dr_Winston

If some people want to keep painting a promotion out of the third division as some major managerial achievement they can go right ahead, The rest of us will keep on putting it in a proper historical context.

I'm not making it out to be a major achievement, but seeing as we have only done it twice in my lifetime,I don't easily dismiss it like you, but there e again 90% of your time following us have been successful

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 23:05 - Sep 18 with 1611 viewsSwanseajill

I find it hard to see so much bitterness simply because Roberto left our club....and we didn't want him to go.
That's it in a nutshell.

It's the way of football, and the staff he took with him are still by his side,showing that if he's so evil as has been so clearly written by many in this thread, then why are they still loyal to him?

I won't be applauding Martinez, his staff or his squad tomorrow, simply because they are the opposition.
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 23:08 - Sep 18 with 1602 viewsraynor94

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 23:05 - Sep 18 by Swanseajill

I find it hard to see so much bitterness simply because Roberto left our club....and we didn't want him to go.
That's it in a nutshell.

It's the way of football, and the staff he took with him are still by his side,showing that if he's so evil as has been so clearly written by many in this thread, then why are they still loyal to him?

I won't be applauding Martinez, his staff or his squad tomorrow, simply because they are the opposition.

So glad there are still some of the old school left Jill

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 23:16 - Sep 18 with 1618 viewsChrisSCFC

It was pretty tight of him not laying the foundations at Chester, had he done so they'd almost certainly be in the Premier League right now.

#NewSkool
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 23:17 - Sep 18 with 1614 viewsSwanseajill

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 23:08 - Sep 18 by raynor94

So glad there are still some of the old school left Jill

Trouble being he spoke before putting his brain in gear. And his words are recycled constantly on here.

New managers tend to go along that path, Garry did in his first few months but has learned very quickly to....mind what you say to the press.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2015 23:19]
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 07:32 - Sep 19 with 1544 viewsDr_Winston

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 23:17 - Sep 18 by Swanseajill

Trouble being he spoke before putting his brain in gear. And his words are recycled constantly on here.

New managers tend to go along that path, Garry did in his first few months but has learned very quickly to....mind what you say to the press.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2015 23:19]

Martinez never said a word that wasn't carefully planned to find some sort of target Lor. That's what makes him so fundamentally untrustworthy.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Login to get fewer ads

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 09:29 - Sep 19 with 1512 viewsJackanapes

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:58 - Sep 18 by raynor94

I'm not making it out to be a major achievement, but seeing as we have only done it twice in my lifetime,I don't easily dismiss it like you, but there e again 90% of your time following us have been successful

We have been promoted out of the third tier more than twice. We have only made it to the top tier twice, and arrive back at the simple fact that Martinez did not get us to the Premier league. That is true, whether I can remember watching us play to one man and his dog, or not.
Kenny Jackett was 20 mins from getting us out of League 1. I guess there is a statue, with his name half inscribed on it, gathering dust in a warehouse somewhere.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2015 9:33]

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 10:06 - Sep 19 with 1496 viewsraynor94

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 09:29 - Sep 19 by Jackanapes

We have been promoted out of the third tier more than twice. We have only made it to the top tier twice, and arrive back at the simple fact that Martinez did not get us to the Premier league. That is true, whether I can remember watching us play to one man and his dog, or not.
Kenny Jackett was 20 mins from getting us out of League 1. I guess there is a statue, with his name half inscribed on it, gathering dust in a warehouse somewhere.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2015 9:33]

Twice in my time, and be fair with Trundle and Knight it should have been automatic, but as it turned out it was a blessing in disguise we missed out, all I'm saying is he deserves great respect for setting us on the road to where we are now

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 10:24 - Sep 19 with 1477 viewsJackanapes

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 10:06 - Sep 19 by raynor94

Twice in my time, and be fair with Trundle and Knight it should have been automatic, but as it turned out it was a blessing in disguise we missed out, all I'm saying is he deserves great respect for setting us on the road to where we are now

If he deserves respect then it is in a professional capacity rather than as a human being. Gimme Harry Griffiths any day.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 10:30 - Sep 19 with 1470 viewsraynor94

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 10:24 - Sep 19 by Jackanapes

If he deserves respect then it is in a professional capacity rather than as a human being. Gimme Harry Griffiths any day.

Don't argue at all

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 11:32 - Sep 19 with 1449 viewsSwanseajill

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 07:32 - Sep 19 by Dr_Winston

Martinez never said a word that wasn't carefully planned to find some sort of target Lor. That's what makes him so fundamentally untrustworthy.

Let it go J, I can assure you that bitterness causes ageing speedily.

Over the years you've never let up. I guess it's because we were just outstanding with him at the helm, compared to some of the previous dire stuff we watched from the Vetch field terraces in the past.

I so hope we give a good account of ourselves today though, and are all happy going home.
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 11:35 - Sep 19 with 1445 viewsDr_Winston

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 11:32 - Sep 19 by Swanseajill

Let it go J, I can assure you that bitterness causes ageing speedily.

Over the years you've never let up. I guess it's because we were just outstanding with him at the helm, compared to some of the previous dire stuff we watched from the Vetch field terraces in the past.

I so hope we give a good account of ourselves today though, and are all happy going home.

I've never let up because of the attempts of some to rewrite history. Although I suppose as the club have no problem with that either so you may be right.

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 11:48 - Sep 19 with 1426 viewsNeath_Jack

I haven't read this thread, but who mentioned Martinez scouting for Wigan when he was still working for us? Someone must have in amongst those 4 pages?

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 11:48 - Sep 19 with 1426 viewsRancid

I've done an away win on my coupon today.Hate punting against the Swans and I hope my bet goes down because of it.
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 11:48 - Sep 19 with 1425 viewsSwanseajill

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 11:35 - Sep 19 by Dr_Winston

I've never let up because of the attempts of some to rewrite history. Although I suppose as the club have no problem with that either so you may be right.

If I see him today, I'll ask MP if he's working on AJTAK ....part two.
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 12:07 - Sep 19 with 1407 viewssherpajacob

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 22:48 - Sep 18 by Dr_Winston

In our 100+ year history we have been champions of our division 4 times.

I wasn't born for the first two.

The two most vehemently despised (by some on this forum) ex managers were responsible for the other two.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024