Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Martinez on Saturday ..... 23:03 - Sep 17 with 8825 viewsswansvalleyjack

I honestly think Martinez does not deserve the vitriol from some on this Forum and elsewhere. And I hope that is not the case on Saturday.

As regards Flynn and Jackett, I have nothing but thanks for them in setting us on our way. But let’s be honest — it was Martinez who changed the whole ethos and culture of the Club into what we are today. Does anyone really believe that we would be where we are now without his vision and style of play. (Do we also all remember the long balls to Rory Fallon pre Martinez ! )

And I am not taking anything away from Huw Jenkins and the Board who saved us in the first place, and who had the foresight to appoint Martinez ..…nor am I taking anything from the later Managers (shrewdly appointed by the Board) who have tweaked and cleverly built on Martinez’ ethos.

But that fundamental shift introduced by Martinez has been absolutely crucial to our success.

The vitriol against Martinez is primarily based on his words that he would only go “if forced out”. And in hindsight from his point of view - those were unwise words. But he also had said that while the Board made a very brave decision to give him the job at 33, then as long as “both have the same ambition” it won't be a problem (ie should other clubs come knocking).

This second comment by him is often conveniently missed by critics. As Wales on Line recently reminded us - Martinez had wanted to build on the first season in the Championship and had eyed two midfielders at Hamilton as potential signings. James McCarthy was available for £2m and James McArthur for slightly less but it appeared Swansea couldn't quite stretch themselves to a deal, also unable to turn the loan deal for Jordi Gomez into a permanent one. It planted seeds of doubt in Martinez (about the Club’s ambition). That - plus the lure of his first club Wigan (playing in the Premier League) — was the tipping point.

Now, I am not going to criticise the Board either for that apparent “lack of ambition” at that time — they have been rightly cautious in always looking after the Club’s finances. And maybe things at that moment were moving too fast for a crack at the Premier League - Martinez has previously alluded to this also.

So I won’t be heaping abuse on him when he returns on Saturday. Equally with the passage of time, I won’t be clapping him either — he is after all simply an Opposition Manager now. And though I was gutted at the time when Martinez left, I reflected - after the period of mourning, and looking objectively at Martinez’ reasons - that it’s only us fans who have long term loyalty to their club ; players and managers always move on, one way or another. It’s the simple reality of football life.

But as my Team walks out against Everton in the most exciting League in the world on Saturday , I for one will give a silent and sincere appreciation to Martinez for his absolutely fundamental contribution in getting us there. Thanks Roberto - though I really hope we finally stuff your Club in a League match !!
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 13:31 - Sep 18 with 1489 viewsraynor94

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 13:19 - Sep 18 by WarwickHunt

Yes, I can remember getting relegated to D3.

Yes, he was a breath of fresh air - he was also a venal, lying, devious, duplicitous, two-faced c*nt.

You don't like him

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 13:34 - Sep 18 with 1484 viewspencoedjack

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 13:19 - Sep 18 by WarwickHunt

Yes, I can remember getting relegated to D3.

Yes, he was a breath of fresh air - he was also a venal, lying, devious, duplicitous, two-faced c*nt.

Well said ....

Far too many nice people on this thread.

Fuk him
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 13:43 - Sep 18 with 1470 viewswaynekerr55

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 08:31 - Sep 18 by WarwickHunt

Bit harsh on toads.

He's a c*nt. F*ck him.

Edit: Hmmmm - interesting debut post from the OP...
[Post edited 18 Sep 2015 8:43]

What's your thoughts then Warwick?

A family member much like a certain foliage like poster for another?

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 14:22 - Sep 18 with 1430 viewsperchrockjack

I liked him.

Then I didn't.

I go off people quickly

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 14:31 - Sep 18 with 1429 viewsjack247

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 14:22 - Sep 18 by perchrockjack

I liked him.

Then I didn't.

I go off people quickly

That sums it up pretty well for me.

We hated him because we loved him. I couldn't really care now, I won't clap or boo. Will be preoccupied by what the Swans are doing.
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 15:02 - Sep 18 with 1396 viewsperchrockjack

I'm shallow.

I love people who help my club.when they leave I go off them.

I've actually got over jacket now

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 15:10 - Sep 18 with 1397 viewsWhiterockin

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 15:02 - Sep 18 by perchrockjack

I'm shallow.

I love people who help my club.when they leave I go off them.

I've actually got over jacket now

You have an over jacket.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 16:06 - Sep 18 with 1369 viewsSgorioFruit

Martinez is nothing other than a Swansea City legend.
We may or may not have been in the premier league today if it were not for him, but the reality is that we ARE in the premier league today and HE was a massive massive part of that.

Yes i will give him an applause, until that ref blows his whistle to start the game, then its war.

UP THE JACKS

My methods are not favoured by some but by god i speak the truth.
Poll: What Happened Today???

Login to get fewer ads

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 16:08 - Sep 18 with 1366 viewsicecoldjack

It says everything about Martinez that he left his apparent "special club" Wigan within a couple of weeks of them being relegated .

Sums up his level of loyalty in a nut shell.

The man is a fookin' snake, always was, told lots of lies, fooked the club around after us taking him off the non league scrap heap and taking a huge risk. The thanks the club got for that was him having secret meetings on Dave's boat while manager at SCFC , stealing backroom staff and scouting contacts,lying and unsettling the players he didn't initially steal like Leon Britton and telling loads of lies to fans on a regular basis.

He did impliment our playing style but got the fook out as soon as a touch of success crept his way. Sousa did better with a lot less.

He is one slippery fooker, and i got over his leaving when we appointed the next manager, i don't think the club did though and i believe it tainted relations with Paulo as a result, maybe a bit of mis trust etc. Anyway that's just a theory.
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 16:45 - Sep 18 with 1333 viewsjack247

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 16:06 - Sep 18 by SgorioFruit

Martinez is nothing other than a Swansea City legend.
We may or may not have been in the premier league today if it were not for him, but the reality is that we ARE in the premier league today and HE was a massive massive part of that.

Yes i will give him an applause, until that ref blows his whistle to start the game, then its war.

UP THE JACKS

Martinez will never be a Swansea City legend because of the way he left.

Massive part of where we are today? Unquestionably.
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 16:47 - Sep 18 with 1332 viewsDarran

As I've said before many times,if people don't want to be at our wonderful club they can go f*ck em selves.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 17:04 - Sep 18 with 1317 viewsPhil_S

Have we really been accused by the OP on a lack of ambition when Martinez was here.

Dear me...
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 17:06 - Sep 18 with 1315 viewsOldjack

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 00:09 - Sep 18 by ChrisSCFC

Who?

The greasy Spanish waiter

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 17:07 - Sep 18 with 1312 viewsJackanapes

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 12:25 - Sep 18 by raynor94

Well seeing the first year I followed us we were relegated to the third division in 1965, and apart from the tosh era that's where we stayed, so I can assure you the bottom two divisions felt like the dungeon, do you remember those days

Ive been going since 1974. Does that make my opinion any more valid? The answer is no. Just because you started going in the 60s it doesnt entitle you make shyt up.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2015 17:09]

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 17:09 - Sep 18 with 1308 viewsWarwickHunt

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 17:04 - Sep 18 by Phil_S

Have we really been accused by the OP on a lack of ambition when Martinez was here.

Dear me...

Aye - apparently El C*nto was scouting McCarthy for us...

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 17:14 - Sep 18 with 1227 viewsjack247

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 17:09 - Sep 18 by WarwickHunt

Aye - apparently El C*nto was scouting McCarthy for us...

Surely you aren't suggesting that Martinez and Dave Whelan were cooking something up before Steve Bruce went? They both always came across as such honourable men.....
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 17:15 - Sep 18 with 1226 viewsDarran

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 13:24 - Sep 18 by Whiterockin

Don't hold back, say what you think.

Let's not forget that Martinez invented passing.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 17:21 - Sep 18 with 1213 viewsOldjack

I sincerely hope and pray we give them a damn good thrashing tomorrow

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 17:23 - Sep 18 with 1211 viewsraynor94

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 17:07 - Sep 18 by Jackanapes

Ive been going since 1974. Does that make my opinion any more valid? The answer is no. Just because you started going in the 60s it doesnt entitle you make shyt up.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2015 17:09]

Sorry, what shyt did I make up?

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 18:05 - Sep 18 with 1171 viewsperchrockjack

Jackets,anoraks,cagoule so,macintoshes,wind cheaters and giblets, we got them all

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 18:28 - Sep 18 with 1165 viewsmonmouth

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 17:15 - Sep 18 by Darran

Let's not forget that Martinez invented passing.

and Rodgers invented football.

Dew we've been lucky aye.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 18:34 - Sep 18 with 1159 viewsJackanapes

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 17:23 - Sep 18 by raynor94

Sorry, what shyt did I make up?

....for what he did for my club, lifting us out of the dungeons after what seemed an eternity ....

^^^^^ That shyt
[Post edited 18 Sep 2015 18:34]

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 18:35 - Sep 18 with 1154 viewsTreforys_Jack

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 18:05 - Sep 18 by perchrockjack

Jackets,anoraks,cagoule so,macintoshes,wind cheaters and giblets, we got them all

cagoules - great word.
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 18:36 - Sep 18 with 1153 viewsHidden_Hand

F*ck Martinez.

What a strange OP this is.
Martinez on Saturday ..... on 18:48 - Sep 18 with 1143 viewspencoedjack

Martinez on Saturday ..... on 17:04 - Sep 18 by Phil_S

Dear me...

Did we not move to the Liberty when El grease-ball was in charge ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024