Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eder the backup striker 11:47 - Oct 6 with 5165 viewsRichythejack

Is it me or is this a position we always struggle with?

I think the season we had Bony and Gomis was our best in many years if Gomis would of accepted he was back up and just got on with it. I feel this is our biggest downfall this season as we have given into Gomis a bit and feel that because he has pretty much demanded he will not be second string to anyone we have brought in a player like Eder who for me is not first team quality.

I just fail to see why we always struggle with this and maybe it’s down to us only playing one up front and failure to keep the second striker happy rather than just stating if he isn’t good enough to be first choice he needs to knuckle down and push his way into the team. Also might stop the first choice striker becoming complacent as we have seen nearly every year with strikers such as Graham and Gomis.
Hardly suprising when you have backup in the form of Emnes, Vasquez,Ngog,Lita etc

Poll: Should Darran be banned from the forums?

Eder the backup striker on 12:20 - Oct 6 with 3833 viewsjack247

No, it's not just you. Though I do think a lot of us are probably guilty of judging Eder on the basis that our last few backup strikers haven't been up to scratch. Ideally , he is genuine competition for Gomis. If he isn't, we should be looking to bring someone competitive in.
Eder the backup striker on 12:21 - Oct 6 with 3832 viewsDarran

I tend to judge him on the fact he's barely played.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Eder the backup striker on 12:25 - Oct 6 with 3828 viewsDr_Winston

Eder the backup striker on 12:21 - Oct 6 by Darran

This.

All but the very, very best strikers need games to be fully match sharp. Judging Eder on the odd cup game or cameo from the bench is unfair.

Although having said that he appears to have more about him than most of his predecessors.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Eder the backup striker on 13:22 - Oct 6 with 3763 viewsJJJack

Eder the backup striker on 12:25 - Oct 6 by Dr_Winston

This.

All but the very, very best strikers need games to be fully match sharp. Judging Eder on the odd cup game or cameo from the bench is unfair.

Although having said that he appears to have more about him than most of his predecessors.

Though he'd struggle to have much less about him....
Eder the backup striker on 13:24 - Oct 6 with 3761 viewsKingstonJack

My first post & I've been holding back for 2 years but I have to say it:

Gomis is not good enough in my opinion.

Last year he had some sub appearances, but when he got the slot after Bony went he didn't step up.
I was at Villa when he scored the winner in the last minute. As Lineker said later he is "aptly named" as we should have had the game in the bag by half-time had he not had yet another shocker.

Since he got regular starts he has not improved I feel. He seems to feel "entitled" to this position, whereas I just see him falling over on his own and, more lately, too lazy to get back onside so giving away many free-kicks (Watford/Southampton).

Eder was given the full second half at Southampton and despite him not getting much play this season, I thought he was more effective and professional than Gomis.

I said it to friends and twitter last season, I don't think he is good enough. Now I don't think he tries hard enough. Eder on the other hand has my approval as a second from what I've seen of him.
Did we really turn down a £7m offer for him earlier this season?
I think we should be looking for another striker instead of Gomis.
Eder the backup striker on 13:31 - Oct 6 with 3745 viewsRichythejack

Quick question then?

Eder goal record for previous clubs is very poor when Gomis is pretty highly regarded in world football, so why would we not buy a backup striker like Charlie Austin?

I think Monk seen potential in Eder but deep down doesn’t want to upset Gomis who is lazy but he will score a decent amount of goals throughout the season. Eder is never going to develop into a decent player if he doesn’t get game time but needs to hit the ground running and take his chances and for me he just doesn’t have enough quality.

Compare our areas such as midfield, there is fierce competition here and everyone who is given a chance is stepping up regardless of a few minutes now and then. This reflects the amount of quality we have in this area which can’t be said for our strike force.

Poll: Should Darran be banned from the forums?

Eder the backup striker on 13:42 - Oct 6 with 3728 viewsjack247

Eder the backup striker on 13:31 - Oct 6 by Richythejack

Quick question then?

Eder goal record for previous clubs is very poor when Gomis is pretty highly regarded in world football, so why would we not buy a backup striker like Charlie Austin?

I think Monk seen potential in Eder but deep down doesn’t want to upset Gomis who is lazy but he will score a decent amount of goals throughout the season. Eder is never going to develop into a decent player if he doesn’t get game time but needs to hit the ground running and take his chances and for me he just doesn’t have enough quality.

Compare our areas such as midfield, there is fierce competition here and everyone who is given a chance is stepping up regardless of a few minutes now and then. This reflects the amount of quality we have in this area which can’t be said for our strike force.

I think there is an element of keeping Gomis sweet, especially after last season. More to the point though, I would think Charlie Austin would rather stay at QPR until a big team, or a team small enough for him to be automatic first choice comes in. We are probably caught between the two
Eder the backup striker on 13:43 - Oct 6 with 3725 viewsBloodyhills

Eder the backup striker on 12:21 - Oct 6 by Darran

Acturally agree with Darran on this. He hasn't played enough Prem games for us to be able to maek a judgement.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Login to get fewer ads

Eder the backup striker on 14:17 - Oct 6 with 3699 viewsKingstonJack

Concur.

I've seen enough to make me think Eder is a good enough backup striker.

I've seen enough of Gomis to want to sell him & buy a better starting striker.

Re Charlie Austin, 26, £15m, paid well, happy in London. I've seen him play a lot (I've ST Fulham & QPR mates I go with sometimes) & although he had a shocker at Fulham, he'd do well for us instead of Gomis. Yes Gomis will score goals this season, but even I would if you put me in front of goal and passed to me. Austin would score a lot more goals and miss less than Gomis I'm sure.

However, as has been mentioned, he needs a bigger club to lure him and Swans wouldn't pay the price either I think.

Sadly I think we'll have to search elsewhere for a replacement for Gomis
Eder the backup striker on 14:22 - Oct 6 with 3685 viewsphact0rri

honestly I think there should be a real bit of challenge in the position. It's easy for Garry to say "every position is challenged" its another thing to see the same players relegated to the bench match after match. Not sure how much of a challenge places have when they always come out the same.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

Eder the backup striker on 14:35 - Oct 6 with 3670 viewsjasper_T

We don't play enough games or pay high enough wages to make becoming our second choice lone striker an attractive option to top players.

We could have spent less to get an Eder-level striker, but I don't think we could realistically expect better quality.
Eder the backup striker on 14:55 - Oct 6 with 3641 viewsJackanapes

Gomis was our last back up striker. He didnt do too well. Neither did Bony when he was back up to Michu.

“The stupidest thing she knew was for people to act like they knew all about the things they knew absolutely nothing about.”

Eder the backup striker on 15:11 - Oct 6 with 3623 viewsJackSomething

Eder the backup striker on 14:35 - Oct 6 by jasper_T

We don't play enough games or pay high enough wages to make becoming our second choice lone striker an attractive option to top players.

We could have spent less to get an Eder-level striker, but I don't think we could realistically expect better quality.

Agreed.

For the guy who doesn't think Gomis has improved since Bony left, I agree he was pretty poor initially when he didn't play regularly, but his performances clearly improved once he had a run in the team. If you don't consider 9 goals in 10 games to be improvement, then I worry it's more about your unrealistic expectations.

Gomis isn't perfect, but it's as if people want to forget he's scored winning goals against Man United, Arsenal (twice!) and Aston Villa, while scoring a goal against Hull and another against Man City that were as good as anything Bony scored here.

It's almost as if people are still upset over his tantrum in January and were just waiting for his form to dip...
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 15:21]

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Eder the backup striker on 15:27 - Oct 6 with 3597 viewsUxbridge

It's no coincidence Gomis got better with game time.

Don't think Eder's at that level but he certainly seems the best of our sorry bunch of backup strikers over recent years and while I hope we don't have to rely on him alone for a considerable stretch, I've got some hope he'll do alright.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Eder the backup striker on 15:53 - Oct 6 with 3570 viewsTummer_from_Texas

Indeed, he hasn't played enough yet to make any good judgment about him, though I've seen signs he'd be a good player if he ever got enough time to get into a rhythm.

But I also wouldn't say that Monk isn't giving him as much playing time as any 2nd string player could ever expect. In addition to the two cup ties, he's made 6 league appearances which is the most by anyone outside the normal first team.

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

Eder the backup striker on 16:15 - Oct 6 with 3553 viewsjack247

Eder the backup striker on 15:11 - Oct 6 by JackSomething

Agreed.

For the guy who doesn't think Gomis has improved since Bony left, I agree he was pretty poor initially when he didn't play regularly, but his performances clearly improved once he had a run in the team. If you don't consider 9 goals in 10 games to be improvement, then I worry it's more about your unrealistic expectations.

Gomis isn't perfect, but it's as if people want to forget he's scored winning goals against Man United, Arsenal (twice!) and Aston Villa, while scoring a goal against Hull and another against Man City that were as good as anything Bony scored here.

It's almost as if people are still upset over his tantrum in January and were just waiting for his form to dip...
[Post edited 6 Oct 2015 15:21]

To be fair, Gomis isn't the issue here, it's the strength in depth. He improved immeasurably, not when Bony left, but when we started playing to his strengths.

At the moment, Eder seems very much a #2 striker. If he is genuine competition, he should get a couple of starts before too long. If he is just a backup, then we possibly should have brought in someone who could challenge Gomis. I am surprised some people see back up full backs as more of a priority to be honest.

Biggest concern for me though, is we have 3 league goalscorers (and Harry Kane) after 8 games and Siggys was a penalty. I'd have expected others to have chipped in by now.
Eder the backup striker on 16:16 - Oct 6 with 3553 viewsJFSwan

Gomis was signed as Bony's replacement and we were very fortunate that Wilf didn't leave during that summer.

We are very unlikely to ever have two top quality strikers again , given that we play 1 up front and anybody coming to a club our size would have ambitions to be top dog. Hence Gomis having a sulk last year.

Think Eder could be useful, but it seems Monk is afraid to drop Bafe in case he gets on the first plane to Qatar in January.
Eder the backup striker on 16:34 - Oct 6 with 3527 viewsjasper_T

Eder the backup striker on 15:53 - Oct 6 by Tummer_from_Texas

Indeed, he hasn't played enough yet to make any good judgment about him, though I've seen signs he'd be a good player if he ever got enough time to get into a rhythm.

But I also wouldn't say that Monk isn't giving him as much playing time as any 2nd string player could ever expect. In addition to the two cup ties, he's made 6 league appearances which is the most by anyone outside the normal first team.

Any club that could get Charlie Austin as backup would have to be playing european football and an almost guaranteed cup run. They would also need to pay him 60-70k a week.

The promise of 5, 10 minute sub appearances isn't very enticing.
Eder the backup striker on 16:48 - Oct 6 with 3513 viewsjack247

Eder the backup striker on 16:34 - Oct 6 by jasper_T

Any club that could get Charlie Austin as backup would have to be playing european football and an almost guaranteed cup run. They would also need to pay him 60-70k a week.

The promise of 5, 10 minute sub appearances isn't very enticing.

That's pretty much right. To get him, you would need to either practically guarantee first team football, or be a Liverpool or a Tottenham. The guy was 4th or 5th top scorer in the Premier League last season and I would imagine he would be happier biding his time knocking goals in for QPR than sitting on the bench for a mid table Prem club.

He would probably make himself first choice if he did come here, or to any of our peers though
Eder the backup striker on 16:59 - Oct 6 with 3497 viewslondonlisa2001

Having now seen the Arsenal game vs Man Utd where they played without Giroud, it made me wonder whether it would be worth dropping Gomis, pushing Ayew up, playing Siggy properly and having Barrow (or Routs I guess) on the right wing.

Go for a much pacier, interchangeable front line, without a traditional '9'.

I'm not saying we could play as Arsenal did (their first 25 minutes or so was simply breathtaking) but I'd like to see it tried out.
Eder the backup striker on 17:02 - Oct 6 with 3492 viewsChrisSCFC

Eder the backup striker on 16:59 - Oct 6 by londonlisa2001

Having now seen the Arsenal game vs Man Utd where they played without Giroud, it made me wonder whether it would be worth dropping Gomis, pushing Ayew up, playing Siggy properly and having Barrow (or Routs I guess) on the right wing.

I'm not saying we could play as Arsenal did (their first 25 minutes or so was simply breathtaking) but I'd like to see it tried out.

Interesting, could be worth a shout that.

I'd go with Routs ahead of Barrow every time though, Barrow's passing is just not good enough IMO.
Eder the backup striker on 18:22 - Oct 6 with 3426 viewsHidden_Hand

Why isn't Eder getting game time? Because Gomis is off the boil at the moment.
Eder the backup striker on 18:29 - Oct 6 with 3418 viewsjack247

Eder the backup striker on 18:22 - Oct 6 by Hidden_Hand

Why isn't Eder getting game time? Because Gomis is off the boil at the moment.

Only for a couple of games though, if he doesn't improve soon I would expect to see Eder given a chance.
Eder the backup striker on 21:04 - Oct 6 with 3314 viewsLeonisGod

Call me an idiot, but i like to see Emnes coming on against tired defenders. His direct running often causes problems, whereas I've seen less of that direct play from Eder (or Gomis lately). I know Marvin's not a world beater, but he's as mobile and direct as anyone else we've got.
Eder the backup striker on 21:25 - Oct 6 with 3298 viewsbuilthjack

Eder the backup striker on 16:59 - Oct 6 by londonlisa2001

You should be Manager Lisa. It would probably work well. Ayew would put plenty of effort in at centre forward, stronger than Gomis and great in the air. It's whether Barrow or Routs would be good enough.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024