Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove 16:28 - Dec 9 with 13448 viewspomanjou

For those of a certain age the name Gary Powers will provoke cold war memories. He was shot down whilst flying at 70,000 feet over Russia in May 1960 whilst on a recce.
At the time I was 22 and for a while thought this may be the end of the world. The new Bridge of Spies film is a very good factudrama of the events. Saw it yesterday.

Today I watched a DVD of Dr Strangelove, or how I learned to stop worrying and Love the bomb. Trific film with Peter Sellars in multiple roles as upper class RAF twit, US president and mad scientist. Played for laughs and a great send up of American typecasts. Creepy fiction based around facts.

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 14:17 - Dec 11 with 2399 viewsTheBlob

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 14:07 - Dec 11 by isawqpratwcity

It has benefits. Provided you built something devastating or dirty enough to stuff the globe, it means:

1) You don't need the expense or uncertainty of a delivery system;
2) It is essentially 'pacifist' - it can't be used as an offensive, first-strike weapon.

The problem comes in when the trigger conditions get unexpectedly replicated, not even by a 'Strangelove' scenario, but such benign circumstances as power failure or natural disaster. Murphy will always find a way.

There were other delightful systems which were almost effective but fortunately banned in 1967 in The Outer Space Treaty - orbiting nuclear devices like FOBS.It was theoretically possible to detonate enough warheads in low orbit/upper atmosphere which could reduce the surface of a rival nation to a fine ash.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 14:47 - Dec 11 with 2393 viewsisawqpratwcity

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 14:17 - Dec 11 by TheBlob

There were other delightful systems which were almost effective but fortunately banned in 1967 in The Outer Space Treaty - orbiting nuclear devices like FOBS.It was theoretically possible to detonate enough warheads in low orbit/upper atmosphere which could reduce the surface of a rival nation to a fine ash.

And kids today complain about terrorism...they don't know what terror is!

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 15:20 - Dec 11 with 2384 viewsTheBlob

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 14:47 - Dec 11 by isawqpratwcity

And kids today complain about terrorism...they don't know what terror is!

Too true blue.It was a great chat-up line of the sixties(never tried it meself)...." Hey, we're all living under the shadow of the bomb......"

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 17:34 - Dec 11 with 2354 viewspomanjou

Talking of old style terrorism...........

October 1962.

In a dramatic televised address to the American public, President John F. Kennedy announces that the Soviet Union has placed nuclear weapons in Cuba and, in response, the United States will establish a blockade around the island to prevent any other offensive weapons from entering Castro’s state. Kennedy also warned the Soviets that any nuclear attack from Cuba would be construed as an act of war, and that the United States would retaliate in kind.

Kennedy charged the Soviet Union with subterfuge and outright deception in what he referred to as a “clandestine, reckless, and provocative threat to world peace.” He dismissed Soviet Foreign Minister Andrei Gromyko’s claim that the weapons in Cuba were of a purely defensive nature as “false.”

Shortly after that, as I remember, the yanks stopped and boarded a vessel on the high seas which had nuclear warheads on board en route to Cuba. Kennedy showed balls by telling Kruschev to get the boat turned round and back to Russia. My sphincter did a couple of jumps when I saw that on the Star/News/Stannard placards in Wood Green.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2015 17:35]

Currently residing in Pinner, Centre of the Universe.
Poll: we have a timetable for Brexit, should there be a referendum for the English

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 18:10 - Dec 11 with 2339 viewsjohncharles

Those of us who "lived through" the Gary Powers U2 incident will remember how the Americans, backed up by the British government, flatly denied that Powers was on a spying mission. Denied that there were any spy planes. The Russians had captured an innocent man and were brainwashing him into a confession. This went on for years.
For you younger ones, be very wary when the press make out Russia to be the source of all evil.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2015 18:39]

Strong and stable my arse.

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 18:36 - Dec 11 with 2334 viewsTheBlob

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 17:34 - Dec 11 by pomanjou

Talking of old style terrorism...........

October 1962.

In a dramatic televised address to the American public, President John F. Kennedy announces that the Soviet Union has placed nuclear weapons in Cuba and, in response, the United States will establish a blockade around the island to prevent any other offensive weapons from entering Castro’s state. Kennedy also warned the Soviets that any nuclear attack from Cuba would be construed as an act of war, and that the United States would retaliate in kind.

Kennedy charged the Soviet Union with subterfuge and outright deception in what he referred to as a “clandestine, reckless, and provocative threat to world peace.” He dismissed Soviet Foreign Minister Andrei Gromyko’s claim that the weapons in Cuba were of a purely defensive nature as “false.”

Shortly after that, as I remember, the yanks stopped and boarded a vessel on the high seas which had nuclear warheads on board en route to Cuba. Kennedy showed balls by telling Kruschev to get the boat turned round and back to Russia. My sphincter did a couple of jumps when I saw that on the Star/News/Stannard placards in Wood Green.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2015 17:35]

Yes,dear old Kruschev banging the table with his shoe - happy days
How we drew back from the brink by dint of sheer luck really,the communication links between the Soviet subs and the Kremlin were an absolute joke.The sub commanders had virtually the world in their hands,good sense prevailed but it was damn close.

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 22:28 - Dec 11 with 2302 viewsisawqpratwcity

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 18:36 - Dec 11 by TheBlob

Yes,dear old Kruschev banging the table with his shoe - happy days
How we drew back from the brink by dint of sheer luck really,the communication links between the Soviet subs and the Kremlin were an absolute joke.The sub commanders had virtually the world in their hands,good sense prevailed but it was damn close.

Do you read WWIII fiction? When I was a kid I thought my lot in life would involve driving a tank defending the Fulda Gap or the Lüneburg Heath.

I liked both Clancy's Red Storm Rising (the battle of the Atlantic stuff is great!) and Hackett's earlier work. I can't recall which of Hackett's versions I read, but I remember scoffing at the idea that the mighty Soviet Union could collapse. Who knew?

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 09:05 - Dec 12 with 2277 viewsTheBlob

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 22:28 - Dec 11 by isawqpratwcity

Do you read WWIII fiction? When I was a kid I thought my lot in life would involve driving a tank defending the Fulda Gap or the Lüneburg Heath.

I liked both Clancy's Red Storm Rising (the battle of the Atlantic stuff is great!) and Hackett's earlier work. I can't recall which of Hackett's versions I read, but I remember scoffing at the idea that the mighty Soviet Union could collapse. Who knew?

I was a child of Sputnik so to speak,became absorbed in rocketry and missiles and read everything available - not quite so much now but still keep up.
Not so much WW3 fiction as Science Fiction which included a lot of post apocalyptic scenarios and alternative prognoses.I suppose you could put Clancy in that genre really.
1962 Cuba was scary,going to school on the bus during that ultimatum wondering if it would be the last time,where we lived we would have copped a 10+ megaton warhead rattling down the flue.
There's some good fiction out there.A short story by crazed genius Philip K Dick (which they made into a movie called Screamers)called The Second Variety grabbed the attention.The Chrysalids by John Wyndham sort of addressed the aftermath.Loads of others.
As an adjunct to the Cold War in general.My old dad being a pr man of some repute used to organise the "literary lunches" for WH Smith - Connaught Rooms,lots of free nosebag and vino,invited characters from all walks of life to mingle.That's where I bumped into Enoch Powell and others.One time there was a burly Soviet attache parked alongside,unpronounceable name,almost a clone of Brezhnev,bushy eyebrows,insatiable appetite for liqueurs etc.His whole conversation consisted of the words"when we are at war with China" and insisted we were his friends,no animosity.Tried to engage him in rocket talk but nuffing,tighter than a freshwater clam.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2015 9:15]

Login to get fewer ads

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 09:56 - Dec 12 with 2256 viewsisawqpratwcity

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 09:05 - Dec 12 by TheBlob

I was a child of Sputnik so to speak,became absorbed in rocketry and missiles and read everything available - not quite so much now but still keep up.
Not so much WW3 fiction as Science Fiction which included a lot of post apocalyptic scenarios and alternative prognoses.I suppose you could put Clancy in that genre really.
1962 Cuba was scary,going to school on the bus during that ultimatum wondering if it would be the last time,where we lived we would have copped a 10+ megaton warhead rattling down the flue.
There's some good fiction out there.A short story by crazed genius Philip K Dick (which they made into a movie called Screamers)called The Second Variety grabbed the attention.The Chrysalids by John Wyndham sort of addressed the aftermath.Loads of others.
As an adjunct to the Cold War in general.My old dad being a pr man of some repute used to organise the "literary lunches" for WH Smith - Connaught Rooms,lots of free nosebag and vino,invited characters from all walks of life to mingle.That's where I bumped into Enoch Powell and others.One time there was a burly Soviet attache parked alongside,unpronounceable name,almost a clone of Brezhnev,bushy eyebrows,insatiable appetite for liqueurs etc.His whole conversation consisted of the words"when we are at war with China" and insisted we were his friends,no animosity.Tried to engage him in rocket talk but nuffing,tighter than a freshwater clam.

You missed your chance with that Soviet diplomat, Blob. I would have got him to sign a chit that I could pass around to show I was once considered to be 'Intelligence'!

The Cuban Missile Crisis was '62, Blob. The film, American Grafitti, had the tagline "Where were you in '62?" because it portrays a blinkered innocence that would be swept away by the imminence of nuclear war a month later. At six, I was way too young for it to register. For me, nuclear war was a sort of low background hum that receded to virtual insignificance when we emigrated to NZ in 1970.

I haven't read much of the stuff you mentioned - something for me to check next time at the library. Have a bash at that Clancy and Sir John Hackett's The Third World War. Both are good for comparing opposing ordnance/strategies. The Clancy spares you his later espousings of the Jesuits and John Birch Society.

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 10:06 - Dec 12 with 2255 viewsTheBlob

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 09:05 - Dec 12 by TheBlob

Got to tell you this one about the Literary Lunches thing,unrelated to WW3...
The Indian restaurant in Sarf London which we frequented,the owner wanted to get his nephew over to this country to help out and would we put some sponsors up?Give us it here mate,he handed over the sponsorship form.Dad took it up to the next lunch and got some signatures.
All of a sudden there's a Biryani chef from Sylhet wanting to get into the country sponsored by the current head of the CBI (name escapes me),Alec Guinness and Sir Colin Cole,Garter Principal King of Arms.He got in and we dined at the restaurant free for a solid year.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2015 10:09]

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 10:21 - Dec 12 with 2250 viewsTheBlob

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 09:56 - Dec 12 by isawqpratwcity

You missed your chance with that Soviet diplomat, Blob. I would have got him to sign a chit that I could pass around to show I was once considered to be 'Intelligence'!

The Cuban Missile Crisis was '62, Blob. The film, American Grafitti, had the tagline "Where were you in '62?" because it portrays a blinkered innocence that would be swept away by the imminence of nuclear war a month later. At six, I was way too young for it to register. For me, nuclear war was a sort of low background hum that receded to virtual insignificance when we emigrated to NZ in 1970.

I haven't read much of the stuff you mentioned - something for me to check next time at the library. Have a bash at that Clancy and Sir John Hackett's The Third World War. Both are good for comparing opposing ordnance/strategies. The Clancy spares you his later espousings of the Jesuits and John Birch Society.

Yeah I corrected myself over that date.
Dad knew Hackett and I think did a review of the book in the Torygraph.I used to have a copy somewhere,must dig it out and re read it sometime,thanks for the reminder.

edit.Don't get me started on the f*cking Jesuits.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2015 10:22]

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 11:40 - Dec 12 with 2234 viewsisawqpratwcity

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 10:21 - Dec 12 by TheBlob

Yeah I corrected myself over that date.
Dad knew Hackett and I think did a review of the book in the Torygraph.I used to have a copy somewhere,must dig it out and re read it sometime,thanks for the reminder.

edit.Don't get me started on the f*cking Jesuits.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2015 10:22]

You may be interested to know of a local ex-cop, Denis Ryan, who has finally been vindicated forty years after being drummed out of the force.

I know him as an avocado grower/packer that we dealt with, but he is famous in the district as the bloke who tried to prosecute a local assistant priest, Monsignor Day, back in the seventies for being a paedo. The 'Catholic Mafia' in the force closed ranks and forced his resignation, while Day got off scot-free.

The current and former Victorian Police Commisioners both apologised to Ryan at the Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Sexual Abuse, and there is talk of police compensation.

One victim expressed anger because the Bishop pleaded ill-health and did not attend.

Apologies for getting off topic.

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 20:35 - Jan 24 with 2119 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Just watched Bridge of Spies. Damn good.

Spielberg and Hanks on excellent form and Mark Rylance is Oscar-good.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 22:18 - Jan 24 with 2096 viewsisawqpratwcity

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 20:35 - Jan 24 by BrianMcCarthy

Just watched Bridge of Spies. Damn good.

Spielberg and Hanks on excellent form and Mark Rylance is Oscar-good.

Ta for the recommendation, Brian, I'll catch the fillum (Sorry, sorry, it just slipped out!) when I get the chance.

Nice bump on the thread, too. I enjoyed re-reading the paranoid ravings of some old Cold Warriors, too. Well, may not Cold Warriors, but decidedly tepid, at least.

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 22:23 - Jan 24 with 2094 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 22:18 - Jan 24 by isawqpratwcity

Ta for the recommendation, Brian, I'll catch the fillum (Sorry, sorry, it just slipped out!) when I get the chance.

Nice bump on the thread, too. I enjoyed re-reading the paranoid ravings of some old Cold Warriors, too. Well, may not Cold Warriors, but decidedly tepid, at least.

Isaw !!!

You're just getting away with that cos I like ya!

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 13:21 - Apr 3 with 1382 viewsTacticalR

Finally got around to seeing 'Bridge of Spies' over the weekend and it was much better than I was expecting (I thought it was going to be a courtroom drama, but it's more about the Cold War).

It's not explained in the film, but Rudolf Abel (played by Mark Rylance), was actually English-born William Fisher.

Rudolf Abel: The Soviet spy who grew up in England
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-34870934

Air hostess clique

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 14:29 - Apr 3 with 1328 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 13:21 - Apr 3 by TacticalR

Finally got around to seeing 'Bridge of Spies' over the weekend and it was much better than I was expecting (I thought it was going to be a courtroom drama, but it's more about the Cold War).

It's not explained in the film, but Rudolf Abel (played by Mark Rylance), was actually English-born William Fisher.

Rudolf Abel: The Soviet spy who grew up in England
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-34870934

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

Also cracking cold war era film.
Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 15:03 - Apr 3 with 1302 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 14:29 - Apr 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

Agreed.

And the BBC original mini-series is a masterpiece.

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 15:10 - Apr 3 with 1294 viewssimmo

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 14:29 - Apr 3 by BazzaInTheLoft

I thought Tinker Tailor was shite myself, found it painfully slow and dull, shame cos the cast was quite brilliant.

Loved Bridge of Spies, has Hanks done many bad films? The guy is proper box office. Rylance also incredible, understated brilliance.
[Post edited 3 Apr 2017 15:40]

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 15:21 - Apr 3 with 1279 viewsTacticalR

@simmo 'I thought Tinker Tailor was shite myself, found it painfully slow and dull, shame cos the cast as quite brilliant.'

Me too.

Air hostess clique

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 15:26 - Apr 3 with 1275 viewsrobith

Gentlemen! You can't fight in here! This is the war room!
Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 16:40 - Apr 3 with 1236 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 15:21 - Apr 3 by TacticalR

@simmo 'I thought Tinker Tailor was shite myself, found it painfully slow and dull, shame cos the cast as quite brilliant.'

Me too.

Philistines!
Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 18:30 - Apr 3 with 1189 viewsPunteR

I miss blob.

BTW Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was brilliant. Gary Oldman is a genius.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 18:48 - Apr 3 with 1183 viewsTacticalR

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 18:30 - Apr 3 by PunteR

I miss blob.

BTW Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy was brilliant. Gary Oldman is a genius.

A stage actor who went to Hollywood and became the most god-awful ham, substituting ticks and twitches for acting (e.g. in The Fifth Element and Léon).

Air hostess clique

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 19:00 - Apr 3 with 1170 viewsPunteR

Bridge of Spies/Dr Strangelove on 18:48 - Apr 3 by TacticalR

A stage actor who went to Hollywood and became the most god-awful ham, substituting ticks and twitches for acting (e.g. in The Fifth Element and Léon).

You dont rate Oldman?

Fifth Element was pants but i thought he was ace in Leon. Yes he's completely over the top in that , but you compare that performance to his George Smiley's and you can see how versatile he is as an actor. Granted there's about 20 years in between the two films though.
I think he's great.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024