Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? 09:01 - Jan 28 with 4451 viewsAussieSwan

Seems to be that many of the forum posters live outside of Wales, which is a great thing to see that Swansea has a far-reaching presence... given that some of you live/have lived in England, I was wondering if I could ask a couple of questions about your country...

I'm studying Accounting/Business as my University degree in Australia, and I am able to do a semester overseas, if I choose to pursue such an option. It's been something that has appealed to me for a long time, and given I've never been to Europe before, England is probably my first preference (at this stage).

There are several Universities I can go to, including:

University of Exeter
University of Sussex
University of Southampton
University of Newcastle (tempting option - so I can abuse Shelvey in the Championship every week)
University of Sheffield
University of Birmingham
University of Leeds
University of Nottingham

And no, Swansea University is not one of the exchange partner Unis on offer.

So with that in mind, as somebody who likes to have a good time, is going to be travelling a fair bit, and is looking for a Uni which has a good reputation for being a fun place to live as a student (I'd be living on campus), and a town/city that has a good culture/shops/nightlife, what would be a good town to live in for 4-5 months on exchange?

Shoot me any questions you have. Many thanks in advance!

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 14:46 - Jan 28 with 1329 viewsThurrockJack92

Of those I would say Birmingham probably has the most to offer due to it's size. It is the most central of them all geographically speaking so could be a good base to explore the country. I studied at the University of Gloucestershire which isn't too far away which I would recommend if it is an option.
Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 14:47 - Jan 28 with 1327 viewslondonlisa2001

Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 13:39 - Jan 28 by AussieSwan

Really pleasantly surprised by the responses so far, thank you all!

Yes I would be aiming to come over later this year (around September), until end of January, so I will be in for the 2016-17 football season.

Going to Swansea and seeing a PL game there is 100% on the bucket list!

What is it like living on campus?

In Australia it is the norm to go to the Uni in your home city, so you live at home with your parents whilst studying, hence I haven't experienced the "campus lifestyle" before - anyone got tips for that? Are the parties as wild as the movies play them out to be?

One point that may be relevant if you're anything like any other Aussie I've met!

Brighton is very convenient for Gatwick airport, so will be handy for the biggest selection of flights to the rest of Europe. So if you want to use your weekends to do a bit of travelling round Europe, as most of your compatriots seem to do, that may be worth bearing in mind.
Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 14:51 - Jan 28 with 1323 viewslancasterswan

I'm going back to the 1970s Aussie, but going by my daughter and her friends, it's just as exciting now as it ever was. They work very hard and play very hard on the weekends. God knows when they sleep. Campus life is what you make of it, quarters are pretty cramped but bearable. Key thing is to be outgoing and make friends asap, otherwise campus can be a lonely life. If you play sport or have an interest most universities have very good clubs and societies. The North is certainly cheaper than the South, but more expensive to get to unless you fly into say Manchester.

I was going to ask you a return question here.... my daughter is off to Sydney for her 3rd of 4 years doing an MEng ... you say most students stay at home? What is the accommodation like for those who do live away? I have seen it is eyewateringly expensive compared to here.
Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 15:03 - Jan 28 with 1310 viewsThurrockJack92

Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 13:39 - Jan 28 by AussieSwan

Yes I would be aiming to come over later this year (around September), until end of January, so I will be in for the 2016-17 football season.

In Australia it is the norm to go to the Uni in your home city, so you live at home with your parents whilst studying, hence I haven't experienced the "campus lifestyle" before - anyone got tips for that? Are the parties as wild as the movies play them out to be?

The campus lifestyle is what you make of it really. Your roommates will generally invite you out and be very sociable, although they won't pressure you too much. After the first couple of weeks there is a lot of partying but after that it's unusual to be going out more than 2-3 times a week, which are generally aligned with student promotion days at clubs etc.

Having said all this of you are in accommodation with other international students then you may find that they are less sociable, particularly those from the far east.
Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 20:04 - Jan 28 with 1258 viewsexhmrc1

Advising anyone on the right university is impossible as what one person prefers the others will not. in terms of nightlife the bigger the city the better the life.Places like Leeds , Birmingham, Nottingham etc all have excellent nightlife. in terms of surroundings go to Exeter. Absolutely stunning campus with huge sports facilities. Has its own club and pub and is probably the best ranked uni. Exeter takes a large amount of private pupils and is the top second choice for Old Etonians after Oxbridge. The town is small but with most shops and is close to the sea. Be warned you will need to get fit as it is very hilly. Only just over 3 hours by train to Swansea. Weather is also very much like ours here
Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 10:47 - Jan 29 with 1209 viewsAussieSwan

Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 20:04 - Jan 28 by exhmrc1

Advising anyone on the right university is impossible as what one person prefers the others will not. in terms of nightlife the bigger the city the better the life.Places like Leeds , Birmingham, Nottingham etc all have excellent nightlife. in terms of surroundings go to Exeter. Absolutely stunning campus with huge sports facilities. Has its own club and pub and is probably the best ranked uni. Exeter takes a large amount of private pupils and is the top second choice for Old Etonians after Oxbridge. The town is small but with most shops and is close to the sea. Be warned you will need to get fit as it is very hilly. Only just over 3 hours by train to Swansea. Weather is also very much like ours here

Thank you for the advice. I agree, it's a very subjective question but I'm just looking for as many tips as I can get.

A good base to travel from would be nice as well. Sounds like Nottingham, Birmingham, Sussex and Leeds are frontrunners at this stage, but I don't need to make a decision just yet, so open to any experiences from any of the Universities. It'll also depend a bit on my subjects too, and what courses that English Unis offer which can count toward my degree

But as many have rightfully said, I'm going to have a blast wherever I go (should I be accepted)
[Post edited 29 Jan 2016 10:50]

Poll: If we're going to sign another defender...

Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 11:33 - Jan 29 with 1187 viewsexhmrc1

this link might help
y http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/ou
Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 11:36 - Jan 29 with 1186 viewsexhmrc1

another source of advice

http://www.whatuni.com/
Login to get fewer ads

Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 11:39 - Jan 29 with 1178 viewsexhmrc1

another good source. Hopefully these will help you reach a decision. Good luck anyway
Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 11:40 - Jan 29 with 1175 viewsexhmrc1

http://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9mSs3bmTqtWEhsAttxLBQx.;_ylu=X3oDMTByaW11dnNvBGN
Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 11:52 - Jan 29 with 1170 viewssherpajacob

campus lifestyle is as exicitng as you want it to be.
i knew guys that were out partying every night and most days, they usually failed their courses and ended up broke.
i knew boring tw@ts who saved money whilst at college.
From your list, personally i wouldnt go to sussex or southampton.
Nottingham student night life is very good.
All the others would be good choices.
Youll get more bang for your buck in the North,
If you want to do lots of travelling around uk- birmingham is your best bet.
Enjoy

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 14:12 - Jan 29 with 1153 viewsdailew

I'd head up North if I were you. Friendlier people and cheaper night life.

Newcastle is a fantastic city and would be my choice.

Always heard good things about Sheffield. Good music scene.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 22:18 - Jan 29 with 1109 viewsquiff

Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 11:11 - Jan 28 by llanwrtyd_jack

I studied at the University of Sheffield, and had a great time.

Great city, and surrounded by beautiful countryside that's easily accessible.

I'd second this, great city that can feel like a village, the countryside and a big city in it's different parts. You'll love it if you like outdoor activities.

It also has the benefit of being close to a lot of other places, Leeds, Nottingham and Manchester are 3 examples of cities within an hour, London in two on the train. Only downside I've found is that it's a fair way from the sea!

Poll: Is now the time for a Coordinated Fan protest?

Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 22:23 - Jan 29 with 1108 viewsjack_lord

Out of that list I would say Nottingham or Sheffield.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Fun Towns/Universities for Foreign Exchange Students? on 22:57 - Jan 29 with 1093 viewsphact0rri

I'd chip in to Sussex. I've spent a bit of time there, on a few occations. It was really easy to get to london, which I imagine is where every young person going to england is going to want to do. The towne itself isn't overly delightful. Though it really matters what your looking for. But the clubs there aren't to great (I'm an industrial mind for night clubs though).

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024