Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next season 21:50 - Apr 26 with 5823 viewsscruffyjack

Guidolin is the most bizarre manager we have had since Kevin Cullis. His formations, on times (most of the time), baffle me.
He is playing people out of position/shit formation and when he hasn't had big chunks of luck, that we've enjoyed in the last few months, he's got no idea what to do.
We've got the players to do the job, but not with this clown in charge. Apart from the last few years I've run teams, all be it on a Welsh League level, so I have some idea what is needed.
Get back to the style we know and love, with wingers & a centre forward that can head the ball in the opposition area.
Every time Gomis comes on we are normally struggling, he is not the most industrious but give the man a chance, give him a chance with TWO wingers slinging a few in. After all, him and Bony before him were our best defenders at set pieces, which we are in dire need.
Play Ayew & Siggy in a dual ten role behind, using their industry behind. Out wide we need Monty & Barrow, pace is terrifying.
Apart from that fill in as you will.
And after my last reasonable topic if you don't like f**k off.
Next season on 21:54 - Apr 26 with 4603 viewsjasper_T

So you want one striker and four attacking midfielders? Leon to boss the centre all on his own?

Guidolin's teams are no different from what Monk and Curtis regularly put out, so I dunno how he's the most bizarre we've ever had.
Next season on 21:57 - Apr 26 with 4584 viewsjack247

When did we last play 'the style we know and love' with two wingers slinging the ball in? When we had Appleby and Hodge?
Next season on 22:06 - Apr 26 with 4553 viewsQuincy999

Our fans slag off Allardyce, but like it or not the football we play is worse quality than what his teams have been playing over the last 2 years.
I am sick of the diamond formation, seeing Leon and Cork playing together, when it is so obvious that it is one or the other and no pace in the team, especially when we have Barrow and Montero sitting with coats and scarves on watching the game.

Sorry Guidolin has to go.
Next season on 22:09 - Apr 26 with 4534 viewsjack247

Next season on 22:06 - Apr 26 by Quincy999

Our fans slag off Allardyce, but like it or not the football we play is worse quality than what his teams have been playing over the last 2 years.
I am sick of the diamond formation, seeing Leon and Cork playing together, when it is so obvious that it is one or the other and no pace in the team, especially when we have Barrow and Montero sitting with coats and scarves on watching the game.

Sorry Guidolin has to go.

It's not his formation, he is making the best fist he can with the squad he inherited. He can't play Laudrup style football without Laudrup style players.

I'd be amazed if the diamond formation was used next season, apart from possibly away to the very top teams.
Next season on 22:23 - Apr 26 with 4486 viewsscruffyjack

Next season on 21:54 - Apr 26 by jasper_T

So you want one striker and four attacking midfielders? Leon to boss the centre all on his own?

Guidolin's teams are no different from what Monk and Curtis regularly put out, so I dunno how he's the most bizarre we've ever had.

No two busy 10's who will work box to box, can you grasp that? Ayew is not a winger, Siggy is neither a winger or cf, makes sense to me.
Next season on 22:26 - Apr 26 with 4471 viewsPrivate_Partz

Next season on 22:09 - Apr 26 by jack247

It's not his formation, he is making the best fist he can with the squad he inherited. He can't play Laudrup style football without Laudrup style players.

I'd be amazed if the diamond formation was used next season, apart from possibly away to the very top teams.

Agree 100% but those who want FG to go can rest easy as I am pretty certain they will get their wishes.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Next season on 22:27 - Apr 26 with 4459 viewsscruffyjack

Next season on 21:57 - Apr 26 by jack247

When did we last play 'the style we know and love' with two wingers slinging the ball in? When we had Appleby and Hodge?

Are you trying to say that we haven't used wingers since?
Next season on 23:38 - Apr 26 with 4292 viewsPozuelosSideys

Next season on 22:23 - Apr 26 by scruffyjack

No two busy 10's who will work box to box, can you grasp that? Ayew is not a winger, Siggy is neither a winger or cf, makes sense to me.

Two busy number 10's who will work box to box? What the fck are you babbling about you scruffy quim?

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Login to get fewer ads

Next season on 06:38 - Apr 27 with 4145 viewsjack247

Next season on 22:27 - Apr 26 by scruffyjack

Are you trying to say that we haven't used wingers since?

Not at all. We haven't used wingers who 'sling the ball in' for a very long time though. With good reason, teams stopped playing that type of football in the 90s. You either do it with one up front and he gets marked out of the game by the centre backs, or two up front and the midfield gets overrun, particularly if you are playing 2 #10s behind the striker.

Montero and Barrow aren't the type of players who sling balls in anyway. Both try to get to the line and then they will either attack the box or Montero will float a looping cross in/Barrow will look for a cut back.

Respect to you for coaching teams at any level, I couldn't do that. It seems fairly obvious to me we would get ripped apart trying kamikazee football like that in the PL though.
Next season on 08:40 - Apr 27 with 4047 viewsAnotherJohn

I too have been disappointed by some of the formations, but agree with others who are saying that Guidolin is making the best of a squad that is thin on quality. What others can see that we don't seem to get is that the relatively inexpensive appointment of FG (plus his partnership with Curt) has saved us from relegation while clubs who paid out extortionate sums on managers like Rafa and Big Sam are still sweating. I see that Talk Sport (yes, I know it is just Talk Sport) puts him at number 7 in the Managerial Power rankings, well ahead of his bottom half rivals and well ahead of Brenda.

http://talksport.com/football/power-ranking-every-premier-league-manager-season-
Next season on 09:20 - Apr 27 with 3999 viewsQuincy999

Wow! That's me convinced then, i take it all back.
In future i won't use my eyes or my brain i will just look at the talksport manager power rankings.
Next season on 09:30 - Apr 27 with 3975 viewsjasper_T

I always said that these last few games (after we're safe) would show what Guidolin is actually about and be what he should be judged on as a potential manager for next season.

Doesn't look good, does it. Not much in the way of new ideas or inventiveness on show.

He did well scraping to survival with other managers' players and (slightly tweaked) tactics, but that doesn't mean much going forward.
Next season on 09:40 - Apr 27 with 3957 viewsAnotherJohn

Next season on 09:20 - Apr 27 by Quincy999

Wow! That's me convinced then, i take it all back.
In future i won't use my eyes or my brain i will just look at the talksport manager power rankings.

What ought to convince you he achieved something is a look at the league table. As I said others can see it and know how well we did to pull away from danger. I think FG's fate is decided now though and he won't be staying.
Next season on 09:50 - Apr 27 with 3933 viewsLegend83

Next season on 09:30 - Apr 27 by jasper_T

I always said that these last few games (after we're safe) would show what Guidolin is actually about and be what he should be judged on as a potential manager for next season.

Doesn't look good, does it. Not much in the way of new ideas or inventiveness on show.

He did well scraping to survival with other managers' players and (slightly tweaked) tactics, but that doesn't mean much going forward.

We were probably safe with 37 points yet played the best football I have seen in a while against Chelsea under Guidolin's stewardship.

That probably took a lot out of the team, and the psychologiacal impact of reaching 40 points will have made the players relax, naturally.

The game against Newcastle could have gone completely the other way if our players could shoot under pressure.

I wasn't happy with the diamond and the line-up against Leicester BUT it's hard to comment on Guidolin's preparation, training and set-up when his players gift-wrap 4 goals to the opposition. A big criticism of Monk was that he always waited to a pre-determined time before he made changes regardless of what was happening before his eyes - at least Guido had the decisiveness to bring Montero and Paloschi on at HT (not that it helped - anyone relying on Montero to consistently and single-handedly turn games for us is living in cloud cuckoo land).

In a very long-winded way I am trying to say I think fans are being harsh on him.

Will he become the most maligned coach in our history who saved us from relegation?!
Next season on 10:01 - Apr 27 with 3918 viewsjack247

Next season on 09:30 - Apr 27 by jasper_T

You seem to have changed your tune pretty dramatically off the back of two hidings?
Next season on 10:09 - Apr 27 with 3901 viewsDr_Winston

A lot of the criticism of Guidolin seems borne out of desperation to give Alan Curtis all the credit.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Next season on 10:14 - Apr 27 with 3883 viewsmonmouth

Next season on 09:50 - Apr 27 by Legend83

We were probably safe with 37 points yet played the best football I have seen in a while against Chelsea under Guidolin's stewardship.

That probably took a lot out of the team, and the psychologiacal impact of reaching 40 points will have made the players relax, naturally.

The game against Newcastle could have gone completely the other way if our players could shoot under pressure.

I wasn't happy with the diamond and the line-up against Leicester BUT it's hard to comment on Guidolin's preparation, training and set-up when his players gift-wrap 4 goals to the opposition. A big criticism of Monk was that he always waited to a pre-determined time before he made changes regardless of what was happening before his eyes - at least Guido had the decisiveness to bring Montero and Paloschi on at HT (not that it helped - anyone relying on Montero to consistently and single-handedly turn games for us is living in cloud cuckoo land).

In a very long-winded way I am trying to say I think fans are being harsh on him.

Will he become the most maligned coach in our history who saved us from relegation?!

I would hope vey much that if he goes that he isremembered very fondly indeed.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Next season on 10:38 - Apr 27 with 3851 viewshammy

Next season on 08:40 - Apr 27 by AnotherJohn

I too have been disappointed by some of the formations, but agree with others who are saying that Guidolin is making the best of a squad that is thin on quality. What others can see that we don't seem to get is that the relatively inexpensive appointment of FG (plus his partnership with Curt) has saved us from relegation while clubs who paid out extortionate sums on managers like Rafa and Big Sam are still sweating. I see that Talk Sport (yes, I know it is just Talk Sport) puts him at number 7 in the Managerial Power rankings, well ahead of his bottom half rivals and well ahead of Brenda.

http://talksport.com/football/power-ranking-every-premier-league-manager-season-

That list seems a fair assessment of the season in terms of manager achievement and the squads / finance that they had at their disposal.

C'mon Bony shoot !!!!

Next season on 10:44 - Apr 27 with 3838 viewsicecoldjack

Next season on 21:57 - Apr 26 by jack247

Loved Jonny hodge, what a player! ...or maybe everyone else was really really crap,can't quite remember now
Next season on 11:13 - Apr 27 with 3794 viewsQuincy999

Next season on 09:40 - Apr 27 by AnotherJohn

What ought to convince you he achieved something is a look at the league table. As I said others can see it and know how well we did to pull away from danger. I think FG's fate is decided now though and he won't be staying.

The most pivotal results we had since he came in happened wen he was in his hospital bed not watching the games and in no contact with the players. I can't think of a way i could possibly give him credit for that.
Next season on 11:26 - Apr 27 with 3771 viewsLegend83

Next season on 11:13 - Apr 27 by Quincy999

The most pivotal results we had since he came in happened wen he was in his hospital bed not watching the games and in no contact with the players. I can't think of a way i could possibly give him credit for that.

Curtis is due credit for the changes he made against Arsenal but let's not forget we have a very good record at the Emirates and an indifferent Arsenal were there for the taking. In the end we won due to a bit of luck.

Equally, against Palace and West Brom we would have been singing Guidolin's praises if we had ground out the wins, only for the defence to shit itself at set pieces again.

Arguably given the late Newcastle and Sunderland charge you could say the Chelsea win was as important as any to ensure practical safety.

However you look at it, between Curt and Guido we flopped over the line playing pretty turgid football...but you have to go back to the beginning of the season before you find us playing any decent football - you can't expect Guidolin to come in and make us world beaters over night.
Next season on 11:31 - Apr 27 with 3763 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Yes let's blame the Manager for the last 2 crap games.
Nothing to do with the effort and effectiveness of the players (highest fan rating Fab at 5.3 in the last game).
Like the OP I am also a fan of players with pace and wingmen but we keep hearing that we don't have anyone who can do it.
Well it is not the lack of balls coming in to the penalty area that is the problem, it is the lack of players in the penalty area in the first place when they come in, or their ability to get on the end of them.
When Gomis and Ayew were both scoring at the end of the last season and the beginning of this season have a look at the players playing.
I could have sworn that they were wingers.
[Post edited 27 Apr 2016 11:36]
Next season on 11:33 - Apr 27 with 3762 viewsjasper_T

Next season on 10:01 - Apr 27 by jack247

You seem to have changed your tune pretty dramatically off the back of two hidings?

To some extent, yes. I've been very positive about him until now because he was doing exactly the job required of him. We were safe after the Villa result (with work still to be done) and pushed to 40 points earlier than expected (we were always going to get there with the games remaining). Guidolin did a fine job, if not an especially pretty one.

From that point though the job required of him is different. There should be signs of progress, experimentation etc. going forward. Yes, the players don't care as much now, and yes, he's probably got the message that he won't be staying, so I guess why bother?
Next season on 11:38 - Apr 27 with 3743 viewsLegend83

Yep, more great work from our esteemed board of directors.

Complete radio silence on the manager situation and a load of media shite and it's no wonder we look like a team that doesn't really know what it is playing for...
Next season on 18:44 - Apr 27 with 3450 viewsHighjack

Next season on 10:14 - Apr 27 by monmouth

I would hope vey much that if he goes that he isremembered very fondly indeed.

Yeah he's done with his back room team what was asked of them which was to scramble enough points to get us another season in this league. It hasn't been pretty but I don't give a f uck. I will always remember what he's done for us. I think he's been let down by the players a lot since the Chelsea game which has tarnished it a bit.

The day he arrived every single one of us would have bitten off the hand of anyone who offered us 40 points and a 10 point cushion with a few games left. We're only a few points off the top ten. He and his team have done very very well and he doesn't deserve the level of vitriol he's getting from some quarters.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024