Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tidal lagoon 18:41 - Dec 19 with 26355 viewsNogginthenog

Finished by the looks.
Tidal lagoon on 19:07 - Dec 20 with 4135 viewsmax936

Tidal lagoon on 16:24 - Dec 20 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Why anyone wanted it here baffles me. Let some other city be a guinea pig and risk one of their cities most unique assets on it first.

Well said Dwighty.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Tidal lagoon on 19:12 - Dec 20 with 4127 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Tidal lagoon on 16:24 - Dec 20 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Why anyone wanted it here baffles me. Let some other city be a guinea pig and risk one of their cities most unique assets on it first.

It is an unique asset

And we ain’t using it

Thrown aside by the Tory government yet again.

Poll: DO you support the uk getting involved in Syria

Tidal lagoon on 00:54 - Dec 21 with 4067 viewsymaohyd

Tidal lagoon on 15:01 - Dec 20 by Scotia

Planning applications well under way too. Looking good at last!

Swansea is a disaster zone, so many false dawns, promises of grand projects, elaborate artists impressions never to be remotely lived up to.

I've had a titful of the Swans , the Assembly, the council, just about anyone connected with the city.

As far as these lovely photos are concerned, as a warning I remember the artists impressions of the building to be built on the old David Evans, on top was a lovely looking green smoked glass effect....take a look at that now, it's hideous, vile with graffiti on it to boot.

Not to debate the pros and cons of the barrage but I'm amazed that people aren't causing a huge furore for it to be built.

As someone said about the Swans on the radio ' you can't polish a turd', the same can be said about the city. Yet something comes along that would have been ground breaking and it is met with a shrug of the shoulders. Lets not have investment lets just stay a shi* pit!

I wonder what would have happened if the Tories had retained Gower in the last election?

Ah well lets just enjoy artists impressions, years to come to fruition, never live up to expectation etc etc, meanwhile Cardiff goes from strength to strength

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Tidal lagoon on 10:20 - Dec 21 with 4019 viewsScotia

Tidal lagoon on 00:54 - Dec 21 by ymaohyd

Swansea is a disaster zone, so many false dawns, promises of grand projects, elaborate artists impressions never to be remotely lived up to.

I've had a titful of the Swans , the Assembly, the council, just about anyone connected with the city.

As far as these lovely photos are concerned, as a warning I remember the artists impressions of the building to be built on the old David Evans, on top was a lovely looking green smoked glass effect....take a look at that now, it's hideous, vile with graffiti on it to boot.

Not to debate the pros and cons of the barrage but I'm amazed that people aren't causing a huge furore for it to be built.

As someone said about the Swans on the radio ' you can't polish a turd', the same can be said about the city. Yet something comes along that would have been ground breaking and it is met with a shrug of the shoulders. Lets not have investment lets just stay a shi* pit!

I wonder what would have happened if the Tories had retained Gower in the last election?

Ah well lets just enjoy artists impressions, years to come to fruition, never live up to expectation etc etc, meanwhile Cardiff goes from strength to strength

Swansea needs all the help it can get. On the pitch, in the boardroom and the City.

I genuinely think a lot of the planned town centre regeneration will happen, a lot of the ground work has been done. Even the cable car and other Kilvey hill developments are being taken seriously.

It may be too little too late but we won't know until it happens.

I genuinely think the possibility of the power station not being built could be the icing on the cake.
Tidal lagoon on 11:25 - Dec 21 with 3985 viewsymaohyd

Tidal lagoon on 10:20 - Dec 21 by Scotia

Swansea needs all the help it can get. On the pitch, in the boardroom and the City.

I genuinely think a lot of the planned town centre regeneration will happen, a lot of the ground work has been done. Even the cable car and other Kilvey hill developments are being taken seriously.

It may be too little too late but we won't know until it happens.

I genuinely think the possibility of the power station not being built could be the icing on the cake.

I respect your view as I know you were always against the lagoon, think it is a massive shame and in a world where global warming is about the biggest issue, not taking advantage of the world's biggest tidal reach, one of the few advantages that we have with our geographical position seems non sensical.

Quite simply people don't want to invest in Swansea, this could have been the catalyst for so much more.

You can bet your bottom dollar if it was in a Tory heartland it would have been done.

Blog: World Cup Performance = Transfer Speculation?

Tidal lagoon on 11:49 - Dec 21 with 3971 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Tidal lagoon on 11:25 - Dec 21 by ymaohyd

I respect your view as I know you were always against the lagoon, think it is a massive shame and in a world where global warming is about the biggest issue, not taking advantage of the world's biggest tidal reach, one of the few advantages that we have with our geographical position seems non sensical.

Quite simply people don't want to invest in Swansea, this could have been the catalyst for so much more.

You can bet your bottom dollar if it was in a Tory heartland it would have been done.

Indeed

Any Investment in our area is much needed .

The lagoon was a no brainier for all sorts of things opening our opportunities up along the way

Tidal lagoon on 13:35 - Dec 21 with 3940 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Tidal lagoon on 11:49 - Dec 21 by oh_tommy_tommy

Indeed

The lagoon was a no brainier for all sorts of things opening our opportunities up along the way

"Any investment in our area is much needed"

Well that isn't true, is it? An American consortium invested close to £70,000,000 and look how that worked out, come may they'll have wiped tens of millions of pounds a year off the local economy.

The lagoon was a no brainier, really? How come other cities aren't jumping at the bit to get one? I'll tell you why, they were waiting to see how this experiment worked in a city other than their own, so if it goes tits up, as it looks like it will due to the fact no one is willing to pay for it, they lose nothing.

Why would you gamble one of our finest assets, Swansea Bay, on this gigantic concrete experiment?

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Tidal lagoon on 14:04 - Dec 21 with 3935 viewsScotia

Tidal lagoon on 11:49 - Dec 21 by oh_tommy_tommy

Indeed

https://www.ft.com/content/b6fab1d2-e1b3-11e7-8f9f-de1c2175f5ce

This article says a lot of what I've said since day one, it's a hugely expensive with not much local benefit in the long term, whilst putting Swansea Bay at huge risk. It's no more of a local investment than the Yanks at the Swans.

I mean just look at the numbers they think will work in the visitor centre, total rubbish.

I genuinely don't think it's a political decision, even though its being made out to be. if it made financial sense it would happen.

It's a nice idea taken forward by a bunch of charlatans. I've been told by a trusted friend that their latest trick is submitting evidence in support of one of their compulsory requirement applications in a password protected document, and refusing to supply the password. That is typical of them, their PR team will blame everyone but themselves though.
Login to get fewer ads

Tidal lagoon on 10:06 - May 12 with 3645 viewsNookiejack

"Swansea Tidal’s cost claims crumble under questioning"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2018/05/09/swansea-tidals-cost-claims-crumb

"Concern over the costs of a £1.3bn tidal lagoon project planned for Swansea have resurfaced after its developer admitted that they remain well above the price of other energy technologies.

Mark Sharrock, the boss of Tidal Lagoon Power, told a committee of MPs that he would need a deal offering financial support of £89.50 for every mega-watt of electricity produced to build the groundbreaking 320MW project.

But under questioning he admitted that this could only be achieved with extra financial help from the Welsh Government, and a contract almost double the length than what is typically offered to developers of new nuclear or renewable energy projects.

On a like-for-like basis the Swansea Tidal project would need a contract price of £150/MWh. The sum is well above the eye-watering price of the Hinkley Point C nuclear power project which will cost bill payers £92.50 for every megawatt produced over 35 years.

It is also almost triple the price of the newest offshore wind power projects which will be built for £57.50/MWh.

Mr Sharrock told MPs that the price of the project is justified by the fact that it is a “pathfinder” project which could pioneer a new industry for the UK and benefit from cost falls, as seen in the offshore wind sector.

Richard Howard, a researcher from Aurora Energy who also appeared before the committee, cast doubt on whether tidal lagoon power would be able to follow in the steps of the offshore wind industry.

He pointed out that a major factor in the heady fall in costs by almost half in recent years was in large part due to competition between developers as they vied for contracts in an auction setting.

The Government was expected to agree a bi-lateral deal with Tidal Lagoon Power for the controversial project years ago but concerns over the cost has led to a five year delay over the project.

Charles Hendry, a former energy minister and author of an independent review of the project, told the committee that it is too late to “start again” by setting up a tidal lagoon auction."
Tidal lagoon on 10:16 - May 12 with 3619 viewsDr_Winston

Sooner they finally kill this nonsense the better.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Tidal lagoon on 11:36 - May 12 with 3575 viewsWingstandwood

Tidal lagoon on 10:16 - May 12 by Dr_Winston

Sooner they finally kill this nonsense the better.

Aye agree we've now had too many years of this b@llocks, I for one have had enough of SWEP's: architects drawings, 3D computer presentation streaming videos and artists impressions.

I have had my fill of pie-in-the-sky bullsh#t! They might as well bluff away about future 'fairytale castles on cloud' developments.

Argus!

Tidal lagoon on 12:44 - May 12 with 3532 viewsoh_tommy_tommy

Swansea left to rot again

We’ll have you all moaning Swansea gets Fack all next week .

Tidal lagoon on 14:16 - May 12 with 3474 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Tidal lagoon on 12:44 - May 12 by oh_tommy_tommy

Swansea left to rot again

We’ll have you all moaning Swansea gets Fack all next week .

Try to understand this very simple concept; just because outside investment is injected into the city, it does not guarantee it will benefit the city.

If you look on the first page, I stated the same thing last December. This was a colossal waste of money, an experiment with no guarantee of success, will actually raise electricity prices and will irreversibly destroy one of our city's few assets that drives tourism.

A good example, and one I made in December on this thread, is the American 'investment' into the football team. That has wiped tens of millions of the local economy, it will cost hundreds of people their jobs and diminishes our reputation internationally.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Tidal lagoon on 14:25 - May 12 with 3467 viewsmoonie

Ok, so it would save money, now suggest what is needed in Swansea , who will provide it and how it would be financed

There was a plan, an exciting project which could have regenerated the region and given it world focus but no it's a risk. Biggest risk is not allowing any future plans .

Kids need a future
Tidal lagoon on 18:04 - May 12 with 3390 viewsWingstandwood

Tidal lagoon on 14:25 - May 12 by moonie

Ok, so it would save money, now suggest what is needed in Swansea , who will provide it and how it would be financed

There was a plan, an exciting project which could have regenerated the region and given it world focus but no it's a risk. Biggest risk is not allowing any future plans .

Kids need a future

Bang on , hard hitting that "Kids need a future". It's so despairing to read contributors on here say that their kids have had to move away for job opportunity, a decent career and a decent wage.

It's so depressing to read and hear others say that when their younger kids reach an older age they will be forced to do the same!

Argus!

Tidal lagoon on 18:12 - May 12 with 3381 viewsmoonie

I moved away for domestic reasons although the British economy was in trouble .

Swansea has lost every major industry and with the high employment of heavy industry those jobs have never remotely been replaced . Kids who are not of university standard are effectively dumped by the system and it shMes this country .

Mrs That her killed apprenticeships stone dead wiping out e oppotuinity for youngsters to have a trade ,settle down,have a family.Basic stuff. Forget any political bollux, that s her biggest legacy .

The likes of Swansea should have been over compensated with jobs being transferred from wealthier areas of the U.K. Like London .and south east England. If London had lot hundreds of thousands of jobs , they would be compensated . This country is too centred on SE
Tidal lagoon on 18:38 - May 12 with 3366 viewsSwanjaxs

Wales will have the first tidal lagoon within the next 5 years... in Cardiff bay 👍 #bookmarkthis

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Tidal lagoon on 19:06 - May 12 with 3337 viewsjack2jack

Tidal lagoon on 18:38 - May 12 by Swanjaxs

Wales will have the first tidal lagoon within the next 5 years... in Cardiff bay 👍 #bookmarkthis

No doubt, but it'll still look sh!te.😉
Tidal lagoon on 14:34 - May 13 with 3208 viewsyescomeon

Not been on here for a while, so I'm surprised to see such a dramatic u-turn in public opinion. What's happened?

Upthecity!

Tidal lagoon on 17:57 - May 13 with 3154 viewsmoonie

ContdI
It annoys me to see older people ,or those retired on good pensions ,no doubt comfortable in nice homes ,going on about how beautiful Gower is and the beaches,fishing and walking the cliffs. None of this is of any use to your average kid in Mayhill, Penlan or Portmead with minimal qualifications and no industry or factories left in which to earn a living .

The city needs regeneration not Gower .Its no compensation
Tidal lagoon on 18:14 - May 13 with 3136 viewsDr_Winston

Tidal lagoon on 18:38 - May 12 by Swanjaxs

They're welcome to it. Not much natural beauty to spoil up there is there?

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Tidal lagoon on 00:01 - May 14 with 3066 viewsDyfnant

Tidal lagoon on 17:57 - May 13 by moonie

ContdI
It annoys me to see older people ,or those retired on good pensions ,no doubt comfortable in nice homes ,going on about how beautiful Gower is and the beaches,fishing and walking the cliffs. None of this is of any use to your average kid in Mayhill, Penlan or Portmead with minimal qualifications and no industry or factories left in which to earn a living .

The city needs regeneration not Gower .Its no compensation

The lagoon itself was barely going to produce double figures of full time direct employment. Massive white elephant that investors wanted all of us to pay for directly and indirectly for nigh on a century. The Wirral has a decent tidal range, take the heap up there.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Tidal lagoon on 00:16 - May 14 with 3052 viewsDarran

Tidal lagoon on 00:01 - May 14 by Dyfnant

The lagoon itself was barely going to produce double figures of full time direct employment. Massive white elephant that investors wanted all of us to pay for directly and indirectly for nigh on a century. The Wirral has a decent tidal range, take the heap up there.

Exactly you tell the perverted Scouce cùnt Dyf.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Tidal lagoon on 09:47 - May 14 with 2975 viewsBatterseajack

Tidal lagoon on 00:01 - May 14 by Dyfnant

A 320 MW power station would have easily been into triple figures in terms of jobs, and many of them would have been skilled work to boot.

As it would have been the first of its kind, it would have attracted more labor to monitor and proof the design along with making necessary tweaks to it before rolling out the scheme to other sites. Yes this project would have been expensive, but the costs for subsequent schemes would come down, bringing within it the price of electricity and reliance on subsidies. This model has worked with wind and solar power and one day we're going to have to drastically cut back on our reliance on cheap coal and gas.
Tidal lagoon on 10:10 - May 14 with 2955 viewsmoonie

Dunvant
Maybe we could stick to topic and show other posters how to engage in debate

There is no definitive evidence to suggest it couldn't be a success.

What it would be is an opportunity and none of us are 100 per cent sure of the possible outome .

The Wirral has of course two rivers adjacent and the Irish Sea to the north ,surrounded ,like Gower, by water.

Under the new Northern Powerhouse ,plans are afoot to harness the Mersey and Irish Sea as there is a good tidal range here.

We have a massive wind farm along the Irish Sea coast that provided jobs and power and there is also a new Gas pipeline under north Wirral so things are being tried.

I'm home very soon in sad circs and I d love to have an exchange on this subject face to face but I'm going to have a lot to do.

Floreat Swansea
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024