Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lu'ern 14:02 - Nov 2 with 10340 viewsBartRowou

Just been on their site ahead of tomorrow's game and found these anecdotes. Would any of the older generation care to explain themselves?

we got onto the front page of the national press after a game at rochdale early 70's lots of trouble mostly caused by the police. one mounted copper rode his horse into the luton fans on the terracing.
one fan at the back of the crowd shouted out to a friend at the front so the police waded in and dragged him out, the next i saw him was at the train station and he had been well battered, he had done nothing, the cops caused all the trouble that day and we got the blame.
NOTHING CHANGES DOES IT
That was a pretty terrifying day to be honest, the police lost control from the start. Thought it started with a kid being knocked down by a police car as they marched several special train loads up the hill - that's what we were told anyhow.

I also seem to recall that the Riot Act was read out on the pitch which meant they could ride horses into the crowd (coming from that muddy bank at the other end).

The Sun (not the rag it became then) had a large picture of the trouble, thought it was centre spread? I had to make sure my old man didn't see it as I was clearly visible - not too many people in that crowd with long hair and glasses!

There was still LTFC graffiti on the station until they completely refurbed it.

Poll: Should Bury shop elsewhere for frames?

Lu'ern on 11:19 - Nov 4 with 2218 viewsMolly

Lu'ern on 22:38 - Nov 3 by TVOS1907

That was 6 seasons before.

Thanks. Doesn't time fly when you're enjoying yourself!
Lu'ern on 16:27 - Nov 4 with 2043 viewsHuddersdale1

Lu'ern on 13:28 - Nov 3 by EllDale

We played in them in one of the last games of the 1969/70 season.
They went up that year with Malcolm Macdonald and Matt Tees scoring a shedload of goals from memory.
The original fixture had been at Spotland in November and had been abandoned due to snow in the second half? Again from memory.

Wasn't that abandoned match against Fulham (who had Johnny Haynes playing for them} ?
Lu'ern on 17:58 - Nov 4 with 1919 viewskiwidale

Lu'ern on 16:27 - Nov 4 by Huddersdale1

Wasn't that abandoned match against Fulham (who had Johnny Haynes playing for them} ?

The abandoned match v Fulham 2-2 was in our first season after our 69/70 promotion season. Hughen Riley scored a brace before Bobby Haynes allegedly scored a worldy at the pearl st end. I say allegedly because I didn't see it Through the fog, I saw Haynes but not the shot or the goal.
The three things that stood out in my mind that day were how bizzare that Dale were playing Fulham and Haynes in the league. What a revelation Hughen Riley was that day and I distinctly remember thinking as I stood there in the sandy Fitzo will never believe I am here. I should have took a selfie.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2018 18:00]

This is not the time for bickering.

Lu'ern on 19:12 - Nov 4 with 1836 viewsfitzochris

Lu'ern on 17:58 - Nov 4 by kiwidale

The abandoned match v Fulham 2-2 was in our first season after our 69/70 promotion season. Hughen Riley scored a brace before Bobby Haynes allegedly scored a worldy at the pearl st end. I say allegedly because I didn't see it Through the fog, I saw Haynes but not the shot or the goal.
The three things that stood out in my mind that day were how bizzare that Dale were playing Fulham and Haynes in the league. What a revelation Hughen Riley was that day and I distinctly remember thinking as I stood there in the sandy Fitzo will never believe I am here. I should have took a selfie.
[Post edited 4 Nov 2018 18:00]

Just three questions.

Who is Bobby Haynes?

How did we get promoted in 69/70?

Why are you so immature?

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Lu'ern on 23:06 - Nov 4 with 1697 viewssoulboy

That was the day Luton clinched the title. I remember Malcolm MacDonald standing inside the net at the Sandy Lane end and appealing for calm. No matter where you stood in the ground that day there were Luton skinheads everywhere so it was scarves off and stuffed in the Parka pockets! there were rumours that day that Watford (their big rivals at the time) had brought a couple of hundred of skinheads also, but whether they actually made it to Spotland im not sure, but it was mayhem as soon as the match started until the last whistle.
Lu'ern on 06:47 - Nov 5 with 1601 viewskiwidale

Lu'ern on 19:12 - Nov 4 by fitzochris

Just three questions.

Who is Bobby Haynes?

How did we get promoted in 69/70?

Why are you so immature?

you know who I meant.

you know what I meant.

If you cant take a bit of fun you are taking it all too seriously.

This is not the time for bickering.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024