Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS 21:52 - Feb 7 with 1571 viewsdurham_exile

After last week’s debacle at the Abbey Stadium and the end of our 16-game unbeaten run, the U’s are back on home soil for a double header with Grimsby in town on Tuesday, but before that we play the potential league champions Plymouth Argyle.

Argyle, the Green Army have recently started to play and have games in hand over Swindon Town, but they are not the finished article. I went to the reverse fixture at Home Park on 10th August and it was one of those games when the better team lost. Also, their team and their odious supporters were insufferable at the final whistle and one would have thought that they had already won the league such was the elation.

We lined up that day:

Gerken
Vincent-Young Eastman Prosser Bramall
Lapslie Stevenson
Senior Brown Nouble
Norris

Now I should say from the outset that I have never taken to Plymouth as a football club, probably going back to the days when Neil Warnock was in charge and when they defeated us in the Play Off semi-finals. No bitterness though! Although at the start of this season we were due to sign Joel Grant from Plymouth, but at the eleventh hour he changed his mind and signed a new contract with the Devon club. When he was injured at Home Park against us, I didn’t show any sympathy and I notice that he is currently warming the bench most games.

Ryan Lowe left Bury after their promotion at the end of last season and took most of the better players to Plymouth and they were expected to take League Two by storm. Until recently they have been indifferent, but their purple patch has arrived at exactly the right time.

Lowe has just been named league two MOTM so let us hope the managers curse strikes him tomorrow.

Lowe has been playing mind games about the fitness of Antoni Sarcevic (who scored the only goal against us in August) and Josh Grant — regardless of what he is saying I expect them both to play or at least be on the bench tomorrow. What Lowe cannot do anything about is his captain defender Gary Sawyer, who was red carded last week against Newport County. And will miss the next three games.

We are also likely to meet up against Joe Edwards again who played for us for one season and became a fan’s favourite. He also played against us in August.

Still enough of Plymouth, tomorrow is now all about three points for the U’s. A difficult game but one that has now become vital in our attempts to achieve promotion. I reckon we can prevail 2-0.

I would play the following team tomorrow in a 4,3,3 formation:

Gerken

Jackson Eastman Prosser Bramall

Stevenson Pell Comley

Harriott Norris Nouble

Subs:
Ross Sowunmi Clampin Poku Senior Gambin Robinson

The back four pick themselves but it is the midfield where we need to strengthen. Last weekend Pell and Comley were isolated and lost control of the centre of the park. Playing the three together will not only strengthen that key area of the pitch but also allow the players to have a sight of the goal because Ben Stevenson when he was here the first time scored some cracking goals and now never gets an opportunity. Likewise, Harry Pell is capable of scoring from outside the box.

This formation takes cognisance of JM’s love of wingers because there is still a place for Callum Harriott and Big Frank on the respective wings with Chuck in the middle. The bench still contains defenders, midfield, wingers and a striker. Let no one forget that our failure to bring in a striker and replacement for Brown and the departure of Junior to Israel leaves us short of strikers. JM cites Jake Hutchinson, but I have yet to see him play and although I have seen Hasanally and Kensdale play neither are what you would call regular starters.

Paris Cowan-Hall faces an uncertain future at the club, and he appears to have been singularly unlucky with injuries which is a shame because when he played against Spurs, he looked the real deal.

Otherwise what we have we must stick with now until the end of the season.

The league table looks less rosy after that damning defeat at Cambridge, but we are not out of it yet:

Swindon 31 59
Crewe 30 55
Plymouth 29 54
Exeter 30 54
Northampton 30 52
COL U 31 49
Cheltenham 29 48
Bradford 31 47

Although Storm Ciara is on the way tomorrows weather will be kind in North Essex and likely to be sunny, 8 degrees Celsius and a light breeze.

The pitch has had time to recover and should be in good order.

Notwithstanding the poor result last week, Plymouth should bring 500 and we could have 4,000 of the faithful for this huge game.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U’s

[Post edited 7 Feb 2020 23:12]

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 22:46 - Feb 7 with 958 viewsmfb_cufc

Good preview as usual durham. Plymouth have won their last four away games, and I agree they are potential champions. Just one thing regarding your crowd prediction. A Plymouth fan on the OMB said they expect to bring 1,000+. So with our fans still remembering the Swindon game, I think the crowd be at least 4,500.

mfb

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 23:07 - Feb 7 with 950 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 22:46 - Feb 7 by mfb_cufc

Good preview as usual durham. Plymouth have won their last four away games, and I agree they are potential champions. Just one thing regarding your crowd prediction. A Plymouth fan on the OMB said they expect to bring 1,000+. So with our fans still remembering the Swindon game, I think the crowd be at least 4,500.

Mick thanks for the update.

Let's hope they have a miserable journey back to Devon following their defeat.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 23:22 - Feb 7 with 942 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 23:07 - Feb 7 by durham_exile

Mick thanks for the update.

Let's hope they have a miserable journey back to Devon following their defeat.

UTU's

I'm sure many will be on my train home, so here's hoping

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 23:53 - Feb 7 with 933 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 23:22 - Feb 7 by wessex_exile

I'm sure many will be on my train home, so here's hoping

Wessex safe journey.
Keep away from any dry cleaners!

Enjoy the game
UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 23:59 - Feb 7 with 932 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 23:53 - Feb 7 by durham_exile

Wessex safe journey.
Keep away from any dry cleaners!

Enjoy the game
UTU's

Hahaha - I'm less concerned about fire this time, more about Storm Ciara to be honest - fingers crossed

Up the U's

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 06:33 - Feb 8 with 909 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 22:46 - Feb 7 by mfb_cufc

Think you’re right there - PAFC ticket office tweeted yesterday lunchtime that they’d pre-sold 940 tickets, and there’s still pay on the day to go. Might even be close to a 5k crowd?

Up the U's

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 06:56 - Feb 8 with 906 viewsnoah4x4

Will be good to see the North Stand occupied again.

Bit surprised that Durham is selecting Comley. He was awful last week. But Poku and Senior only on the bench suits me. We are going to need a physical presence today especially given the weather.

Stephenson must play. His distribution has been missed. Last week Norris saw more of the ball than normal as we played more route one. Normally he (or Robinson) never see the ball because Senior, Poku and Harriott are too selfish and try to beat too many defenders. Last week, Pell and Comley were indeed isolated. It was like watching an Aidey Hoofroyd Team. Stephenson adds a bit if class.
Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 07:46 - Feb 8 with 899 viewsGOSBTS

Morning all! Great preview as ever Durham.

Love the lineup Durham. Assuming that McGreal goes 4-2-3-1 (or whatever his usual is), I'd stick with your Harriott and Nouble on the flanks. Callum is far more effective as a starter than coming on as a sub, and likewise Courtney is a far better sub than a starter IMO. Perhaps Gambin behind Nozza? And then Pell and Stevenson. As Noah said, I think Stevenson has waited long enough for his opportunity to replace Comley.

It's funny how we view other football teams based on our history. Plymouth are great friends of Brighton due to our friendship during our loss of the Goldstone, and Plymouth's subsequent turbulent patches. I believe large contingents of both sets of fans have been to support the other at games in the past. However never fear, I shall have no affinity with them today! I am fearful though that this will be our biggest test so far. They are perhaps the best team in the league at the moment. I'd be very content with a draw.

I have work training today at the University until 4.30. My boss says it usually finishes at 3, which may make it just about worth it to buy a ticket and sneak in the ground at 3.30. Here's hoping I'll be joining you all, especially as it'll be good to see the North Stand being used and a big crowd. Otherwise I'll be listening to BBC Essex on the way home to Sudbury, hoping for a big three points. I feel quite excited.

Up the U's!
Login to get fewer ads

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 09:37 - Feb 8 with 867 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 07:46 - Feb 8 by GOSBTS

Morning all! Great preview as ever Durham.

Love the lineup Durham. Assuming that McGreal goes 4-2-3-1 (or whatever his usual is), I'd stick with your Harriott and Nouble on the flanks. Callum is far more effective as a starter than coming on as a sub, and likewise Courtney is a far better sub than a starter IMO. Perhaps Gambin behind Nozza? And then Pell and Stevenson. As Noah said, I think Stevenson has waited long enough for his opportunity to replace Comley.

It's funny how we view other football teams based on our history. Plymouth are great friends of Brighton due to our friendship during our loss of the Goldstone, and Plymouth's subsequent turbulent patches. I believe large contingents of both sets of fans have been to support the other at games in the past. However never fear, I shall have no affinity with them today! I am fearful though that this will be our biggest test so far. They are perhaps the best team in the league at the moment. I'd be very content with a draw.

I have work training today at the University until 4.30. My boss says it usually finishes at 3, which may make it just about worth it to buy a ticket and sneak in the ground at 3.30. Here's hoping I'll be joining you all, especially as it'll be good to see the North Stand being used and a big crowd. Otherwise I'll be listening to BBC Essex on the way home to Sudbury, hoping for a big three points. I feel quite excited.

Up the U's!

GOSBTS - hope you are able to get to the match after University.

I want to see JM have the courage to play a three man midfield with Pell Stevenson and Comley.

Brandon Comley had been the most improved player this season and then JM dropped him and similarly did the same with Ben Stevenson.

I must admit that likes and dislikes about football clubs is based upon individual choice or experience. Just as Brighton and Plymouth have an affinity so other clubs have professional business relationships with player swaps or transfers.

My own experience is that I have a healthy loathing of many teams including Plymouth as described in my preview. Again individual choice.

Today though is all about Colchester securing three points in what will be a huge game to determine final league two positions.

Enjoy the game.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 14:28 - Feb 8 with 790 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 09:37 - Feb 8 by durham_exile

GOSBTS - hope you are able to get to the match after University.

I want to see JM have the courage to play a three man midfield with Pell Stevenson and Comley.

Brandon Comley had been the most improved player this season and then JM dropped him and similarly did the same with Ben Stevenson.

I must admit that likes and dislikes about football clubs is based upon individual choice or experience. Just as Brighton and Plymouth have an affinity so other clubs have professional business relationships with player swaps or transfers.

My own experience is that I have a healthy loathing of many teams including Plymouth as described in my preview. Again individual choice.

Today though is all about Colchester securing three points in what will be a huge game to determine final league two positions.

Enjoy the game.

UTU's

Yes JM is playing the midfield dream team

Gerken

Pell Stevenson Comley

Nouble Robinson Harriott

Maybe JM does read my musings get in

Subs
Sowunmi Norris Senior Clampin Gambin Ross Poku

U's to win 2-0

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:17 - Feb 8 with 754 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 14:28 - Feb 8 by durham_exile

Yes JM is playing the midfield dream team

Gerken

Pell Stevenson Comley

Nouble Robinson Harriott

Maybe JM does read my musings get in

Subs
Sowunmi Norris Senior Clampin Gambin Ross Poku

U's to win 2-0

UTU's

Stevenson a rocket!

UTU's
[Post edited 8 Feb 2020 15:18]

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:26 - Feb 8 with 740 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:17 - Feb 8 by durham_exile

Stevenson a rocket!

UTU's
[Post edited 8 Feb 2020 15:18]

Oh no! You know how much I hate us going 1-0 up this early. Give McG opportunity to park the bus. Hopefully not though; please keep going forward...
Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:28 - Feb 8 with 739 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:26 - Feb 8 by gerry_us

Oh no! You know how much I hate us going 1-0 up this early. Give McG opportunity to park the bus. Hopefully not though; please keep going forward...

Comley v unlucky - hit the bar.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:32 - Feb 8 with 734 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:28 - Feb 8 by Moor_Pinot

Comley v unlucky - hit the bar.

Now that's better 2-0
Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:34 - Feb 8 with 730 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:32 - Feb 8 by gerry_us

Now that's better 2-0

Theo

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:38 - Feb 8 with 721 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:34 - Feb 8 by durham_exile

Theo

UTU's

Theo

3-0*

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:38 - Feb 8 with 718 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:34 - Feb 8 by durham_exile

Theo

UTU's

What's going on? 3-0. Makes our defeat last week inexcusable..
Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:44 - Feb 8 with 710 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:38 - Feb 8 by gerry_us

What's going on? 3-0. Makes our defeat last week inexcusable..

Gerry my fault I decided to go to Cambridge and give today's match a miss!

In truth our form against the top clubs has been top notch.

Last week we were abject but today's match is vital and if we could score a couple more our GD would get a mighty lift.

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:48 - Feb 8 with 705 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:44 - Feb 8 by durham_exile

Gerry my fault I decided to go to Cambridge and give today's match a miss!

In truth our form against the top clubs has been top notch.

Last week we were abject but today's match is vital and if we could score a couple more our GD would get a mighty lift.

UTU's

HT 3-0

Brilliant
UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:52 - Feb 8 with 699 viewsgerry_us

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:48 - Feb 8 by durham_exile

HT 3-0

Brilliant
UTU's

Well, that's given McG a problem with his half time talk. Perhaps he would be better to go his office for a coffee and leave the team to sort out plan for 2nd half
Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 16:00 - Feb 8 with 692 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 15:52 - Feb 8 by gerry_us

Well, that's given McG a problem with his half time talk. Perhaps he would be better to go his office for a coffee and leave the team to sort out plan for 2nd half

Yes, Gerry. I'm far more concerned about the opposition team talk than I am about whatever's said by our manager. Could've been 5-1 at halftime and does indeed make last week inexcusable. Keep this up second half and then replicate on Tuesday night eh! Up the good old.......

Moor Pinot

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 16:41 - Feb 8 with 664 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 16:00 - Feb 8 by Moor_Pinot

Yes, Gerry. I'm far more concerned about the opposition team talk than I am about whatever's said by our manager. Could've been 5-1 at halftime and does indeed make last week inexcusable. Keep this up second half and then replicate on Tuesday night eh! Up the good old.......

Well the dream midfield has been split with Pell off for Gambin.

A fourth goal would be very nice I don't want to be greedy but.........

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 16:54 - Feb 8 with 655 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 16:41 - Feb 8 by durham_exile

UTU's

Brilliant great win

Bring on the Mariners

UTU's

Durham_exile

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 16:56 - Feb 8 with 655 viewsMoor_Pinot

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 16:41 - Feb 8 by durham_exile

UTU's

Save it for Tuesday Durham! Another win would do nicely although it would make no progress league wise.Some helpful scores elsewhere today.

Moor Pinot

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 17:07 - Feb 8 with 644 viewsnoah4x4

Super U's to overcome the Green army at the JSCS on 16:56 - Feb 8 by Moor_Pinot

Save it for Tuesday Durham! Another win would do nicely although it would make no progress league wise.Some helpful scores elsewhere today.

No Senior. No Poku. But Stephenson.

Res Ipsa loquitor
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024