Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Paul Wright 22:07 - Mar 22 with 1422 viewsBlue4U2

Sad to see this on Twitter although I didn't know him personally
Did anyone here know Paul?
RIP Paul Wright on 19:32 - Mar 23 with 1364 viewsnoah4x4

I knew Paul as well as anybody, but you will all know him, at least by sight…

He didn’t have the social media profile of the Wealdstone Raider or Portsmouth’s John Westwood. He didn’t have their infamy and was instead, one of the most gentle, generous, football supporters on the planet. However, he was a character of no lesser stature at Colchester United.

Affectionately known as ‘Bingo’ (I know not why), Paul was a member of our group that congregate post-match in the Victoria Inn. He wore his Colchester United shirts, Monday to Sunday 24/7, whether in Tesco or Town. The only day that he didn’t and turned up in a suit (for a 'Buffalos' event), some wag convinced me he was an ‘Undertaker’. That stuck for a while, even to the extent that we bought him a Bradford City branded tape measure to enable him to perform his ‘professional duties’. Paul actually worked for many years at Equity Insurance, but his passion was Colchester United.

Paul served the club for over 30 years, first as a cushion seller at Layer Road, then as a draw ticket seller at the corner of the South Stand. White beard, Colchester United cap and a coat that at one time was so long it looked like he was stood in a hole. “50/50 only a pound”. He always occupied the rear corner back seat of the CUSA Bus, and typically only ever missed one game per season home and away, that on a Boxing Day, when he visited family.

A sadness is that his U’s pals are unable to properly pay our respects to Paul because given the current health crisis and social distancing, he is unable to have a conventional funeral. In that sense, he departs somewhat like he lived, often alone, except on match days, where we did what we could to watch his back. Paul will certainly never be forgotten and we will all be raising a glass to him once the Victoria Inn reopens.

Bingo RIP.
RIP Paul Wright on 19:37 - Mar 23 with 1360 viewswessex_exile

RIP Paul Wright on 19:32 - Mar 23 by noah4x4

He didn’t have the social media profile of the Wealdstone Raider or Portsmouth’s John Westwood. He didn’t have their infamy and was instead, one of the most gentle, generous, football supporters on the planet. However, he was a character of no lesser stature at Colchester United.

Affectionately known as ‘Bingo’ (I know not why), Paul was a member of our group that congregate post-match in the Victoria Inn. He wore his Colchester United shirts, Monday to Sunday 24/7, whether in Tesco or Town. The only day that he didn’t and turned up in a suit (for a 'Buffalos' event), some wag convinced me he was an ‘Undertaker’. That stuck for a while, even to the extent that we bought him a Bradford City branded tape measure to enable him to perform his ‘professional duties’. Paul actually worked for many years at Equity Insurance, but his passion was Colchester United.

Paul served the club for over 30 years, first as a cushion seller at Layer Road, then as a draw ticket seller at the corner of the South Stand. White beard, Colchester United cap and a coat that at one time was so long it looked like he was stood in a hole. “50/50 only a pound”. He always occupied the rear corner back seat of the CUSA Bus, and typically only ever missed one game per season home and away, that on a Boxing Day, when he visited family.

A sadness is that his U’s pals are unable to properly pay our respects to Paul because given the current health crisis and social distancing, he is unable to have a conventional funeral. In that sense, he departs somewhat like he lived, often alone, except on match days, where we did what we could to watch his back. Paul will certainly never be forgotten and we will all be raising a glass to him once the Victoria Inn reopens.

Bingo RIP.

A moving tribute Noah, thanks for sharing. Like many, I only knew Paul by sight, but I'm sure he would have been touched deeply by your words.

RIP Paul

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

RIP Paul Wright on 20:08 - Mar 23 with 1355 viewsLeadbelly

RIP Paul Wright on 19:32 - Mar 23 by noah4x4

Bingo RIP.

I didn’t recognise the name but I know exactly who you mean from the description. As you say, a real character.

Unconventional funerals are, sadly, the order of the day. Maximum of 6 people for my mum’s next week.

RIP Bingo

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

RIP Paul Wright on 20:21 - Mar 23 with 1354 viewsnoah4x4

RIP Paul Wright on 20:08 - Mar 23 by Leadbelly

I didn’t recognise the name but I know exactly who you mean from the description. As you say, a real character.

Unconventional funerals are, sadly, the order of the day. Maximum of 6 people for my mum’s next week.

RIP Bingo

Our thoughts are with you too Lead.

Yes, Bingo was one of the true Col Utd characters.
RIP Paul Wright on 18:35 - Apr 7 with 1101 viewsnoah4x4

Paul's funeral is on 16th April at 3.30 at Colchester Crematorium. Given the current health crisis there are strict (low) limits upon the numbers that can attend. The family have requested no flowers. I am not sure about donations.

I suggest that those that knew him simply wear 'blue and white' on that day to mark our respect, albeit in our own isolation. Perhaps a pertinent way to remember how he lived much of his life other than on match days.

We can perhaps then do something at the Jobserve Stadium when football resumes given that he served the club for 30+ years selling cushions and draw tickets. The irony of Trevor Kettle blowing the whistle to start "Bingo's" moment of remembrance would raise a smile amongst all that knew him. ....RIP.
RIP Paul Wright on 08:55 - Apr 16 with 979 viewsnoah4x4

Bingo's funeral today.

Let's make the day blue & white, put match day shirts on. He was never out of his, even in bed!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024