Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Books to read 21:20 - Apr 5 with 6792 viewsNigeriamark

Someone already started a thread on films, Netflix etc. I am trying to mix up my time between watching TV & Reading. I usually buy detective novels but only so many you can read. I have just bought on Kindle my first spy novels ( all 8 of the George Smiley Novels by John Le Carre). Just read the first one and it seems OK

I was going to buy the 150 years Wisden anthology ( came out 7 years ago). However it is 45 quid, so I was wondering if anyone has bought it and what they think/ Any other good books people might want to suggest for each other?

By the way thanks for whoever recommended Narcos. I had never even heard of it but I just subscribed to Netflix and am really enjoying it. I did the Escobar & City tour last year in Medallin so it's good to see a few of the areas & some of the storylines I saw there
Books to read on 00:26 - Apr 8 with 2005 viewsjonesy

Books to read on 21:55 - Apr 7 by kiwidale

I'm impressed Jonesy a wide and eclectic taste, I'm seriously impressed with you tackling Dawkins The God Delusion but shouldn't you read the authorised version of God (kjv) first before tackling Dawkins fictional account?
[Post edited 7 Apr 2020 21:56]

I hope we don’t get a series of posts on religion. Almost as bad as politics!
Books to read on 00:38 - Apr 8 with 1991 viewsD_Alien

Books to read on 23:57 - Apr 7 by kiwidale

Praise Indeed D_A hope all is well with you and yours.

It is, i am, they are, thanks and you too

"I thank, therefore i am"

As Descartes really meant to say

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Books to read on 01:49 - Apr 8 with 1970 viewskiwidale

Books to read on 00:38 - Apr 8 by D_Alien

It is, i am, they are, thanks and you too

"I thank, therefore i am"

As Descartes really meant to say

It was Neil Diamond who corrected Descartes, when he said, to no one there in particular.

I AM I SAID. I AM SAID I.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 5:13]

This is not the time for bickering.

Books to read on 06:02 - Apr 8 with 1943 viewsD_Alien

Books to read on 01:49 - Apr 8 by kiwidale

It was Neil Diamond who corrected Descartes, when he said, to no one there in particular.

I AM I SAID. I AM SAID I.
[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 5:13]

tbf, the Arctic Monkeys used to be huge fans of Neil Diamond but fell out with him over certain ontological principles which led directly to their Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

And i think i agree with them

[Post edited 8 Apr 2020 6:06]

Books to read on 13:30 - Apr 9 with 1817 viewsBigKindo

Books to read on 22:44 - Apr 7 by kiwidale

You're obviously a scholar like me Jonesy a pleasant change from the philistines on here. I cant pass an op shop my sheds full of rubbish I've bought over the years. Speaking of books and op shops a couple of years ago I bought 14 of a set of 21 Charles Dickens classics first printed by Chapman and Hall London 1852 mine are reprints dated 1890 in excellent condition the look and feel of these books is amazing, a link below if you are interested. I paid $6 NZD each = 2 quid they are conservatively valued around $250 USD each a full set in similar condition would set you back far north of $10,000 USD, a set of first editions you could name your own price.

This link is to a very special one volume only signed by Dickens for sale at USD $75,653.00. I will look at similar offers. Scroll down the link to see the amazing prices for these books.

https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?kn=Chapman&recentlyadded=all&bx=o

edit to add.
Mine are far superior red Moroccan leather bound with marbled inlay to front and back covers to the one in the link so I'm upping the price.
[Post edited 7 Apr 2020 23:39]

For those with more classic tastes try www.gutenberg.org

The Project Gutenberg is to make available all books out of copyright (in the USA) which can be downloaded as HTML, Kindle etc free of charge.

Sadly one of my favourite sources for book purchases was the online site 'The Book People' who went belly up last December. They sold many books, sports, cookery, short sets of mystery novels by the same author, lots of books for children etc. I used to annually purchase Wisden for about £ 15 whilst all around were usually asking £ 45/50.
Books to read on 13:31 - Apr 9 with 1812 viewsD_Alien

Books to read on 13:30 - Apr 9 by BigKindo

For those with more classic tastes try www.gutenberg.org

The Project Gutenberg is to make available all books out of copyright (in the USA) which can be downloaded as HTML, Kindle etc free of charge.

Sadly one of my favourite sources for book purchases was the online site 'The Book People' who went belly up last December. They sold many books, sports, cookery, short sets of mystery novels by the same author, lots of books for children etc. I used to annually purchase Wisden for about £ 15 whilst all around were usually asking £ 45/50.

BigKindle?

Books to read on 20:18 - Apr 9 with 1762 viewsPGB

I prefer factual books to fiction, I like travel books and have a passion for History. I have quite a few books on the history of religion.

Unfortunately all my books are in storage because of a flood.
I started to read "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tarte but couldn't get into it. I will try it again when I get it back. The Secret History seemed to be more accessible.
I would recommend "Mission" by Patrick Tilley, fiction but thought provoking.
[Post edited 9 Apr 2020 20:23]
Books to read on 20:28 - Apr 9 with 1753 viewsJames1980

Books to read on 20:18 - Apr 9 by PGB

I prefer factual books to fiction, I like travel books and have a passion for History. I have quite a few books on the history of religion.

I started to read "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tarte but couldn't get into it. I will try it again when I get it back. The Secret History seemed to be more accessible.

https://www.thebritishhistorypodcast.com/

Mentioned this before but highly recommend this podcast if you're not already a listener

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Login to get fewer ads

Books to read on 21:41 - Apr 9 with 1725 viewsSuddenLad

Books to read on 20:18 - Apr 9 by PGB

There's a few Tartes I was never able to get into, back in the day...

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Books to read on 10:10 - Apr 10 with 1669 viewsmingthemerciless

Marcus Trescothick's autobiography is a good read even if you're not a cricket fan.
Books to read on 10:21 - Apr 10 with 1660 viewsDaleiLama

Books to read on 21:41 - Apr 9 by SuddenLad

There's a few Tartes I was never able to get into, back in the day...

From Manchester or Bakewell?
[Post edited 10 Apr 2020 10:21]

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Books to read on 13:17 - Apr 13 with 1593 viewsRochdale_Rangar

Can see myself getting through a lot of novels in the next few weeks. I Read a single man this week as well as the reader. Both ok, easy reads. Currently reading sapiens.
Books to read on 10:17 - Apr 14 with 1481 viewsStudiousDale

I usually use Good Reads to track my books (similar to IMDB, you rate the book out of 5). Currently reading The Spy & The Traitor by Ben MacIntyre which may join the 5* club...

Fiction
Dodgers (Bill Beverly)
All Quiet on the West Front (Erich Remarque)
I Am Pilgrim (Terry Hayes)
The Millenium Trilogy (Stieg Larsson)
An Officer and a Spy (Robert Harris)
My Struggle 1 (Knausagard)

Sport
Open (Andre Agassi)
Racing Through the Dark (David Millar)
A Life Too Short: The Tragedy of Robert Enke (Ronald Reng)
The Secret Race (Tyler Hamilton)
The Boys in the Boat (Daniel James Brown)
Invincible (Amy Lawerence)

Whilst not 5* I enjoyed the Cormoran Strike series, A Little Life, any Murikami books and Tartt's Goldfinch + Secret History (but less so The Little Friend). I've been through all of GoT and think you can spend the time better elsewhere.

On the Podcasts side, the football ones I really enjoy are
Guardian Football Weekly
The Athletic's Ornstein & Chapman
Quickly Kevin Will He Score? (90s football)
That Peter Crouch Podcast
The early days of the Magic Sponge were also very funny.

I know there are some big Sopranos fans on here so I'll mention
"Talking Sopranos" has just started but I haven't started that yet...

Serial was also brilliant.
Books to read on 12:50 - Apr 14 with 1425 viewsMolly

If anyone wants to lighten the mood a little in these testing times, you could do a lot worse than getting hold of a copy of "The Henry Root Letters". His correspondence with James Anderson the then Chief Constable of Greater Manchester is a masterpiece.
Books to read on 13:18 - Apr 14 with 1406 viewsShun

Books to read on 10:17 - Apr 14 by StudiousDale

I usually use Good Reads to track my books (similar to IMDB, you rate the book out of 5). Currently reading The Spy & The Traitor by Ben MacIntyre which may join the 5* club...

Fiction
Dodgers (Bill Beverly)
All Quiet on the West Front (Erich Remarque)
I Am Pilgrim (Terry Hayes)
The Millenium Trilogy (Stieg Larsson)
An Officer and a Spy (Robert Harris)
My Struggle 1 (Knausagard)

Sport
Open (Andre Agassi)
Racing Through the Dark (David Millar)
A Life Too Short: The Tragedy of Robert Enke (Ronald Reng)
The Secret Race (Tyler Hamilton)
The Boys in the Boat (Daniel James Brown)
Invincible (Amy Lawerence)

Whilst not 5* I enjoyed the Cormoran Strike series, A Little Life, any Murikami books and Tartt's Goldfinch + Secret History (but less so The Little Friend). I've been through all of GoT and think you can spend the time better elsewhere.

On the Podcasts side, the football ones I really enjoy are
Guardian Football Weekly
The Athletic's Ornstein & Chapman
Quickly Kevin Will He Score? (90s football)
That Peter Crouch Podcast
The early days of the Magic Sponge were also very funny.

I know there are some big Sopranos fans on here so I'll mention
"Talking Sopranos" has just started but I haven't started that yet...

Serial was also brilliant.

Another Murakami fan! I thought I was the only one in Rochdale!
Books to read on 23:00 - Apr 14 with 1359 viewsDaleiLama

NFL fans …………….

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Books to read on 08:36 - Apr 22 with 1239 viewsfrenzied

Some great suggestions for books throughout this thread....many thanks

Im not a great watcher of TV...tend to use the radio more esp use the BBC sounds app

Some great comedy on there..id recc…
Edge Falls
The Secret World
its a fair cop
Old Harrys game

Plenty of crime drama also
Books to read on 08:55 - Apr 22 with 1231 viewsupthedale

I used to read all the time, but got out of the habit and haven't read much in years. I've been trying to read a bit more recently though and read The Chimp Paradox (cheated as an audio book admittedly) and really enjoyed that. Also read Factfulness - I'd really recommend that and so relevant to the world today - debating starting that one again with the context of coronavirus.

Anyone got any similar book recommendations?

I've just bought Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup and the Nike one looks good.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024