Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? 14:34 - Jun 28 with 1973 viewsnoah4x4

The man with the Midas Touch at Lincoln joined ailing Huddersfield in September 2019 and a six match run gave him Championship Manager of the Month in October. Today, Huddersfield are on the brink of relegation.

If he gets sacked, I'd give him a chance at the Jobserve Stadium, given that he knows the route to Division Two promotion, which I fear our current manager, that I have fervently backed for 202 games, sadly lacks. At least Cowley shows some attacking intent.
Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 14:39 - Jun 28 with 1962 viewsgerry_us

So right Noah.
We should have looked to employ him straight from Braintree when anyone could see he had a bright future in management. He could have done for us what he did for Lincoln City. Regrettably I suggest he would not want a backward step to U's even if he does get the sack at Huddersfield which I doubt.
Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 14:58 - Jun 28 with 1953 viewsMoor_Pinot

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 14:39 - Jun 28 by gerry_us

So right Noah.
We should have looked to employ him straight from Braintree when anyone could see he had a bright future in management. He could have done for us what he did for Lincoln City. Regrettably I suggest he would not want a backward step to U's even if he does get the sack at Huddersfield which I doubt.

Spot on Gerry. This message board knew my views at the time he was at Concord, let alone Braintree. As you say, far too late for us now. I only hope that if another talent is under our noses we will not tread over it and ignore the obvious. Nobody I've spoken to understood why the Cowley brothers were not approached. It was 'small club thinking', so maybe that's all we are. I hope they keep Huddersfield up, they still play in the blue and white stripes.

Moor Pinot

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 15:49 - Jun 28 with 1938 viewsnoah4x4

Huddersfield losing 2-0 to Forest. So in even deeper trouble.

Shame their defending is naff as I had this as a 1-0 in HGPL having earlier nailed Bristol City 1- 2 Sheffield Wednesday, but 4 points will do me nicely. Surprised so many went for a Bristol win given they have lost seven on the bounce.
Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 15:57 - Jun 28 with 1937 viewsdurham_exile

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 14:58 - Jun 28 by Moor_Pinot

Spot on Gerry. This message board knew my views at the time he was at Concord, let alone Braintree. As you say, far too late for us now. I only hope that if another talent is under our noses we will not tread over it and ignore the obvious. Nobody I've spoken to understood why the Cowley brothers were not approached. It was 'small club thinking', so maybe that's all we are. I hope they keep Huddersfield up, they still play in the blue and white stripes.

Far be it from me to disagree about Cowley but he has been found out in the Championship.

There is no way he would come to Colchester now.

The Manager I would have wanted would have been Warnock. For as much as I dislike him he knows how to get teams promoted and will keep the Boro up.

We will have to wait because in the current climate JM ain't going anywhere and Wayne Brown is not on the radar.

When we finally get the start dates for the new season we must hope that we can finally get the monkey of League Two off our backs and find s way to get back to League One.

Bradford City are going to be a force next season and even the Mariners could be a threat.

What makes it even worse is League One will once again have some very big teams and would have been an exciting season for the U's.

Difficult times.
Oh well I've lined up 15 away games COVID-19 allowing.
Up the U's
[Post edited 28 Jun 2020 16:13]

Durham_exile

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 16:24 - Jun 28 with 1921 viewsnoah4x4

3-1 . Another bad result for Cowley.

I reckon Cowley's days are numbered as he has blown the parachute payments and Huddersfield now face a consecutive relegation into Division One. There has been too much recent investment in ground and fans for Chairman Phil Hodgkinson to tolerate this.

No thank you to Worncock. It cost us too much to change the floodlight elevation after Hoofroyd. I wish us to be more direct, but not utterly aerial. But I would welcome Cowley. North Essex prodigal son etc.
Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 17:04 - Jun 28 with 1914 viewsburnsieespana

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 16:24 - Jun 28 by noah4x4

I reckon Cowley's days are numbered as he has blown the parachute payments and Huddersfield now face a consecutive relegation into Division One. There has been too much recent investment in ground and fans for Chairman Phil Hodgkinson to tolerate this.

No thank you to Worncock. It cost us too much to change the floodlight elevation after Hoofroyd. I wish us to be more direct, but not utterly aerial. But I would welcome Cowley. North Essex prodigal son etc.

Whilst I understand your sentiment regarding Cowley he is not exactly noted for his football which is one of the reasons why Ipswich, despite being interested in him did not eventually opt for him as I understand it from somebody close to the club.
Warnock not mt cup of tea but will keep Middlesborough simply because teams around them are poor.
I would prefer us to stick with JMcG for one more season. Suspect it is going to be very challenging and somebody who knows the the Academy set up and those who are close to a regular spot well will be of more value I feel.
Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 00:47 - Jun 29 with 1875 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 16:24 - Jun 28 by noah4x4

You think Cowley’s teams play decent football? I’ve seen nothing from the games against Lincoln to suggest that. They play results football which means in League One and League Two get it forward quickly and play in the final third. As Durham said above he’s been found out at Championship level. Also he acted like a classless moron on his visits to the Community Stadium. I must be one of the few people that feel that McGreal is actually doing a decent job.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 08:04 - Jun 30 with 1796 viewsnoah4x4

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 00:47 - Jun 29 by RSCOSWORTH

You think Cowley’s teams play decent football? I’ve seen nothing from the games against Lincoln to suggest that. They play results football which means in League One and League Two get it forward quickly and play in the final third. As Durham said above he’s been found out at Championship level. Also he acted like a classless moron on his visits to the Community Stadium. I must be one of the few people that feel that McGreal is actually doing a decent job.

"Results football"......res ipsa loquitor...

Northampton demonstrated in the second leg against Cheltennham and last night's final the benefit of playing an aerially dominant forward and a more direct approach. Lincoln similar. Much more action in the penalty box. Pretty football in midfield is simply too slow, plus as observed in an earlier post, we lose the ball too often in midfield leaving our back four exposed.

The difference between what Northampton did (also Lincoln) and our Boothroyd era is that Oliver won and held up the ball. It was actually joined up and not merely hoof and hope. It's many years since we had a forward that offered any aerial dominance and physical threat. The last perhaps being Chris Iwelumo, and then the less able Clive Platt. Look how successful those eras were , as they delivered nodded down balls to allow Lisbie, Cureton, Vernon and others to thrive. Earlier we had Scott McGleish who despite being of modest size he could leap like a salmon.

Our current favoured incumbent is as much threat as Mr Blobby. That makes us one dimensional and the fact he rarely wins and holds up the ball means other players don't gamble on getting into the box. We end up playing tippy tap triangles in the corners. We can't expect to mimic the playing style of Liverpool and Manchester City. We need Division Two tactics and more thug--like players to get us out of this division. Then we can think about adopting nice stuff once in the Championship (dream on). Both sides last night showed nasty streaks too. Referees are weak in Division Two, and we are always on the rough end of debatable decisions. Time we stopped being the nice guys.

I think it no coincidence Crewe have been promoted after playing Chris Porter in a role in which he thrives and giving him the service he needs. Plymouth are another direct side, with powerful forwards. I think we should regret letting the likes of Bonne, Marriott and others depart. Responsibility firmly with Humes....out!
[Post edited 30 Jun 2020 8:14]
Login to get fewer ads

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 15:37 - Jul 19 with 1683 viewsmfb_cufc

As Leadbelly said on the John McGreal thread, Cowley has been sacked. So what are waiting for.

mfb

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 16:50 - Jul 19 with 1670 viewsgerry_us

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 15:37 - Jul 19 by mfb_cufc

As Leadbelly said on the John McGreal thread, Cowley has been sacked. So what are waiting for.

Can we actually afford the Cowley brothers even though they may favour a return to their homeland from Up North?
Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 17:16 - Jul 19 with 1665 viewsmfb_cufc

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 16:50 - Jul 19 by gerry_us

Can we actually afford the Cowley brothers even though they may favour a return to their homeland from Up North?

Probably not, but more to the point Cowling is not likely to want them.

If anybody thinks it might happen you can get 25/1 with Skybet.

Or 11/1 to be the next Southend manager.

McGreal is 20/1 to be next Southend manager.
[Post edited 19 Jul 2020 17:50]

mfb

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 05:59 - Jul 20 with 1602 viewsnoah4x4

On June 28th I predicted Cowley next to be sacked.
Cowling spoke to McGreal on 3rd July.
Both sacked.
No apparent rush to appoint McGreal's successor.
Hopefully, will be Cowley (or Tisdale).
We now need experience and no controversial candidates.
Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 10:17 - Jul 20 with 1581 viewsgerry_us

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 05:59 - Jul 20 by noah4x4

On June 28th I predicted Cowley next to be sacked.
Cowling spoke to McGreal on 3rd July.
Both sacked.
No apparent rush to appoint McGreal's successor.
Hopefully, will be Cowley (or Tisdale).
We now need experience and no controversial candidates.

It was some sort of response from Huddersfield owners after a great result, beating WBA who are bound for greater things, and also virtually confirming Huddersfield free from relegation. Apparently Cowley was well into planning for signings for the new season so it no doubt came as a bit of a shock to him and his brother. One wonders what happened behind the scenes; did they not approve of his methods? Also interesting to note that Huddersfield are currently not looking to recruit a new manager???
Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 15:25 - Jul 20 with 1555 viewsdurham_exile

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 10:17 - Jul 20 by gerry_us

It was some sort of response from Huddersfield owners after a great result, beating WBA who are bound for greater things, and also virtually confirming Huddersfield free from relegation. Apparently Cowley was well into planning for signings for the new season so it no doubt came as a bit of a shock to him and his brother. One wonders what happened behind the scenes; did they not approve of his methods? Also interesting to note that Huddersfield are currently not looking to recruit a new manager???

Gerry Cowley criticised the Huddersfield board.

His days were numbered after that faux Pas

Up the Managerless U's

Durham_exile

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 17:16 - Jul 20 with 1541 viewsgerry_us

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 15:25 - Jul 20 by durham_exile

Gerry Cowley criticised the Huddersfield board.

His days were numbered after that faux Pas

Up the Managerless U's

Ah......its something us Essex boys are prone!
Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 00:09 - Jul 21 with 1486 viewswessex_exile

No thanks to the Cowleys. We’ve got the wrong squad to fit with their style. I’d rather we play the beautiful game properly, something I know we’re capable of with the right management.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #23

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 07:10 - Jul 21 with 1478 viewsnoah4x4

Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 00:09 - Jul 21 by wessex_exile

No thanks to the Cowleys. We’ve got the wrong squad to fit with their style. I’d rather we play the beautiful game properly, something I know we’re capable of with the right management.

Totally agree when we are in Division One or above. But it is evident that playing the beautiful game won't get us out of Division Two. All of the promoted sides were far more direct and yet we beat most when the sun shined.

Our problem is we can't win on a wet day in (say) Morecambe. Salford was the first time in years that we put in a full shift in the rain on a mud bath. I reckon we train indoors too often and the midfield and forwards are all fair weather. How often do we score a header? If it is raining, I would never bet on better than a draw. At least the Cowley brothers have experience of what it takes to get promoted.
Wheels come off for Danny Cowley? on 11:45 - Jul 21 with 1457 viewsburnsieespana

Nah Sarfend are welcome to the Cowley brothers.
Whilst understand what noah says above we all recall how the fans hated hoofroyd's style of play even when he had us in the promotion spot.
We need somebody who can galvanise us all the time.
McG's problems seems he was conservative in his tactics when playing sides well below us and gave them far more respect than he should have done.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024