Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Erected in Bristol this morning 13:55 - Jul 15 with 17892 viewsDrizzy

This will upset a few.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Erected in Bristol this morning on 00:33 - Jul 16 with 1592 viewsDrizzy

Erected in Bristol this morning on 23:32 - Jul 15 by Jack123

She reminds me a bit about the black man carrying the white fella from the blm protests, even just the way she speaks and her accent...I wonder if it was all set up? hmm never mind..

Do all black people seem similar to you? Explains a lot.

Erected in Bristol this morning on 00:36 - Jul 16 with 1590 viewsJack123

Erected in Bristol this morning on 00:33 - Jul 16 by Drizzy

Do all black people seem similar to you? Explains a lot.

Yeah of course they do! pity you can't open your mind it was set up you moron, anyway goodnight,
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 0:55]

libera nos a malo

Erected in Bristol this morning on 01:01 - Jul 16 with 1570 viewsJackSomething

Erected in Bristol this morning on 20:22 - Jul 15 by felixstowe_jack

A petition is not letting the people decide. More Bristol people did not sign the petition than signed it.

They should have held a local referendum that is democracy not letting the mob rule .

It was sheer criminal damage.

More people in the UK didn't vote for Brexit than did vote for it. Somehow I can't see you advocating applying your logic to that situation.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Erected in Bristol this morning on 01:28 - Jul 16 with 1558 viewsGroo

I really feel this demonisation and destruction of the past distasteful. It was a different time and people were brought up to different moralities than today. Judging on todays standards which has gone way to PC is not the answer.

Colston is a fine example, he was a businesman at the time when slavery was accepted by Europeans. He was a rich man, an MP and trader of many commodities and contributed to many local charities. He probably thought himself as a fine upstanding man.

The Royal African Company which he was a shareholder of from 1680 and deputy governer of for about a year 1689/90 had a monopoly on royal charter, created by Charles II for his brother the future James II, who was the governor of the company during Colstons years. There were many shareholders including the likes of Samual Pepys.

When England took over the monopoly from Portugal, which was spoils of war, the Portuguese had already transported more than 4 million slaves.

Colston ran his business from the UK, he would never have ventured to Africa and he was one of many shareholders.

The slaves were captured by Africans for profit, not all went across the Atlantic, some were sold to Northern African, some to the Middle East and Arabian Peninsula. Some of those other routes kept going to the 20th Century.

Slaves were seen as animals and treated as such (even branded), trading slaves was like trading goats. As awful as it is today, then it was accepted as such.

The awful thing to me is slavery still exists today and started long before the trans atlantic trade. anyone remember the story of Moses?

To blame Colston for 840000 slaves and being the poster boy for slavery is ludricous. Its also ludricous to judge by todays standards.

Groo does what Groo does best

Erected in Bristol this morning on 02:24 - Jul 16 with 1544 viewsJack123

Erected in Bristol this morning on 01:28 - Jul 16 by Groo

I really feel this demonisation and destruction of the past distasteful. It was a different time and people were brought up to different moralities than today. Judging on todays standards which has gone way to PC is not the answer.

Colston is a fine example, he was a businesman at the time when slavery was accepted by Europeans. He was a rich man, an MP and trader of many commodities and contributed to many local charities. He probably thought himself as a fine upstanding man.

The Royal African Company which he was a shareholder of from 1680 and deputy governer of for about a year 1689/90 had a monopoly on royal charter, created by Charles II for his brother the future James II, who was the governor of the company during Colstons years. There were many shareholders including the likes of Samual Pepys.

When England took over the monopoly from Portugal, which was spoils of war, the Portuguese had already transported more than 4 million slaves.

Colston ran his business from the UK, he would never have ventured to Africa and he was one of many shareholders.

The slaves were captured by Africans for profit, not all went across the Atlantic, some were sold to Northern African, some to the Middle East and Arabian Peninsula. Some of those other routes kept going to the 20th Century.

Slaves were seen as animals and treated as such (even branded), trading slaves was like trading goats. As awful as it is today, then it was accepted as such.

The awful thing to me is slavery still exists today and started long before the trans atlantic trade. anyone remember the story of Moses?

To blame Colston for 840000 slaves and being the poster boy for slavery is ludricous. Its also ludricous to judge by todays standards.

Incredible post, I actually loved reading that... Boom, thank you( I hope its all true) cause I'm no historian :)
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 2:24]

libera nos a malo

Erected in Bristol this morning on 07:21 - Jul 16 with 1484 viewsHighjack

Erected in Bristol this morning on 23:19 - Jul 15 by Luther27

I think it would be a very good idea to remove the plinth and leave an open space.

If it’s an empty space they want they should leave Jen Reid’s head up there.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Erected in Bristol this morning on 07:42 - Jul 16 with 1472 viewsHighjack

Erected in Bristol this morning on 01:01 - Jul 16 by JackSomething

More people in the UK didn't vote for Brexit than did vote for it. Somehow I can't see you advocating applying your logic to that situation.

Even more people didn’t vote to remain.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Erected in Bristol this morning on 07:44 - Jul 16 with 1471 viewsHighjack

It’s all irrelevant now as it seems we wake up this morning to find that this particular erection has been pulled off.

Login to get fewer ads

Erected in Bristol this morning on 09:07 - Jul 16 with 1443 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Brexit won the referendum that is how democracy works you give people the chance to vote more people voted to leave than remain.
By you argument only a third of British people voted to leave the EU get over it you lost.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Erected in Bristol this morning on 09:28 - Jul 16 with 1433 viewsDarran

If grown ups couldn’t be arsed to vote they don’t fuçking count.
Tough fuçking shit and obviously you’ll be blaming those lazy ćunts for all the Brexit problems.

Pathetic post.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Erected in Bristol this morning on 09:40 - Jul 16 with 1421 viewsDarran

Erected in Bristol this morning on 09:28 - Jul 16 by Darran

If grown ups couldn’t be arsed to vote they don’t fuçking count.
Tough fuçking shit and obviously you’ll be blaming those lazy ćunts for all the Brexit problems.

Pathetic post.

It we’d scored more goals than the opposition in every game this season we’d have won the league weeks ago. lol

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Erected in Bristol this morning on 10:01 - Jul 16 with 1406 viewsDrizzy

Funny that you mention the story of Moses, who freed a people enslaved and subjugated by their own ethnicity. It's not "today's standard" to say that slavery is immoral, it's Old Testament standard.

The rest of your post is littered with irrelevant or inaccurate detail.

Colston was a major shareholder on a company that traded slaves. There's no need for the semantic wringing, he was a slave trader. You don't have to pick the commodity yourself to trade in it. By your logic, do cotton traders have to pick the plant themselves to be considered cotton traders? It's absurd.

Here's an extract from Professor William Pettigrew's recently published book on the Royal Africa Company:

"It shipped more enslaved African women, men and children to the Americas than any other single institution during the entire period of the transatlantic slave trade. This brutal and sustained trade exploited thousands of people. Investors were fully aware of its activities and intended to profit from this exploitation."

The vast majority of European slave traders didn't set foot in Africa. They were smart enough to keep their business at a distance, for fear of encountering disease or violent revolt. Yes, African rulers coordinated the ground operations and profited from it. Their profits were nothing in comparison to the companies that traded commodities globally or the manufacturers who produced goods from the raw materials of the plantations.

Odd that you mention the East African slave network when it was dominated by European colonialists at the height of the Atlantic trade. You're right to say some slaves were sold into the Middle East and Asia. Some were also sold to plantation owners in the Seychelles and the Mauritius. The estimates of the number of slaves sold into these areas pale in comparison to the 12 million transported to the Americas.

Bristol's sizeable black population, who can trace their ancestry back to the Caribbean or West Africa, deserve to live in a city without monuments to people who enslaved their ancestors.

Erected in Bristol this morning on 10:02 - Jul 16 with 1405 viewsFireboy2

That may be true but we are in the modern era and people like him should imo not be celebrated in the middle of a city which has a large population of the race of people a company he was part of live.

It definitely shouldnt have been pulled down and thrown into the dock, it should be like other statues of similar ilk in a museum where it can be used to educate people not to rub their noses in.
Erected in Bristol this morning on 10:04 - Jul 16 with 1403 viewsDrizzy

Erected in Bristol this morning on 02:24 - Jul 16 by Jack123

Incredible post, I actually loved reading that... Boom, thank you( I hope its all true) cause I'm no historian :)
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 2:24]

I hope it's all true.

It might help if you fact check things you read on the internet before you affirm your own prejudices. Just a thought. Might save you threatening legal action when someone points out that you're wrong.

Erected in Bristol this morning on 10:24 - Jul 16 with 1394 views1462jack

Erected in Bristol this morning on 17:39 - Jul 15 by felixstowe_jack

Can I ask what you suggest we do with mosques in the UK?

The Arab/Muslim slave trade went on for over 1200 years only ending as recently as 1930. An estimated 100,000 slave a year were captured making a total of 125 million .

The UK part in the slave trade over a period of 200 years pales into insignificance compared to that. The UK was also instrumental in stopping the global slave trade.

Yeh but that doesn’t fit the narrative mate
Erected in Bristol this morning on 10:34 - Jul 16 with 1380 viewsJack123

Erected in Bristol this morning on 10:04 - Jul 16 by Drizzy

I hope it's all true.

It might help if you fact check things you read on the internet before you affirm your own prejudices. Just a thought. Might save you threatening legal action when someone points out that you're wrong.

libera nos a malo

Erected in Bristol this morning on 10:55 - Jul 16 with 1366 viewsDrizzy

Erected in Bristol this morning on 10:24 - Jul 16 by 1462jack

Yeh but that doesn’t fit the narrative mate

What's the narrative, mate?

Do you think we should start tearing down mosques?

Erected in Bristol this morning on 13:01 - Jul 16 with 1325 viewsVincent_Vega

Erected in Bristol this morning on 07:44 - Jul 16 by Highjack

It’s all irrelevant now as it seems we wake up this morning to find that this particular erection has been pulled off.

I find it baffling that there are types who support a large black erection being illegally placed in a city centre...

Worlds gone potty.

Boycott Shampoo......Demand Real Poo!!!

Erected in Bristol this morning on 13:27 - Jul 16 with 1311 viewsAndy1300

There’s quite a large difference between a national referendum and a local petition

Number 1 team in Wales

Erected in Bristol this morning on 13:42 - Jul 16 with 1299 viewsHighjack

Erected in Bristol this morning on 13:27 - Jul 16 by Andy1300

There’s quite a large difference between a national referendum and a local petition

A petition in Leicester to remove a statue of Gandhi hit 6000 but the petition was removed when the local Labour MP said it’s fine that he was a racist who despised black Africans and was a possible child sex offender because he was “progressive” and an “anti imperialist.” She also complained that people pointing out that Gandhi was racist and hated Black African people was “a distraction from the black lives matter message.”

Ex MP and washing machine salesman Keith “Jim” Vaz has vowed to protect the statue himself. Unfortunately as we know from the Eastern European rent boy and cocaine scandal, protection isn’t his strong point.
[Post edited 16 Jul 2020 13:55]

Erected in Bristol this morning on 14:19 - Jul 16 with 1282 viewsGroo

Erected in Bristol this morning on 10:04 - Jul 16 by Drizzy

I hope it's all true.

Which parts were inaccurate

Erected in Bristol this morning on 14:20 - Jul 16 with 1281 viewsGroo

Erected in Bristol this morning on 10:02 - Jul 16 by Fireboy2

That may be true but we are in the modern era and people like him should imo not be celebrated in the middle of a city which has a large population of the race of people a company he was part of live.

It definitely shouldnt have been pulled down and thrown into the dock, it should be like other statues of similar ilk in a museum where it can be used to educate people not to rub their noses in.

I agree with that.

Erected in Bristol this morning on 14:54 - Jul 16 with 1260 views1462jack

Erected in Bristol this morning on 10:55 - Jul 16 by Drizzy

What's the narrative, mate?

Do you think we should start tearing down mosques?

No i do not think we should pull down all Mosques , I have no reason to hate any religion due to its past history , The same goes for countries , it’s all the past and now is the present People need to move on , there are people on this board whom vilify Our country for our past history and use that as a yard stick , Great Britain is not an intolerable country like others , this country is one of the most diverse and Socially accepting Countries on the plant , My job takes me around the world and I have been to some god forsaken countries and until you have the pleasure/displeasure of seeing how religion and race affect some places , how In some countries certain races are oppressed to the point of ethnic cleansing , murder etc then come back and tell me that in Great Britain the you are oppressed !

By the way I came from a area where no one amounts to anything or so we were told , a lot of my friends growing up are dead others in jail the rest are just getting bye ,you know what I decided , I decided to Get up off my arse and do something about it ,use the free education system (It’s there for all)and knuckle down Get the grades I needed , I started working straight from school and I now earn a very decent wage , I am 38 I have my own house my own car my kids have every thing . I have all this because it is available to all , once you realise no matter who you are where you come from nothing will be handed to you on a plate , it’s there for every one , you have to get up Stand up and be counted
Erected in Bristol this morning on 15:23 - Jul 16 with 1240 viewsDrizzy

Erected in Bristol this morning on 14:19 - Jul 16 by Groo

Which parts were inaccurate

"It was a different time and people were brought up to different moralities than today."

You gave an example from the Old Testament which showed enslaving and subjugating people based on their ethnicity was wrong. Amongst the 99% of Britons who didn't own plantations, or companies that traded in slaves, I'm sure the majority would have recognised the practice as deeply immoral.

"When England took over the monopoly from Portugal, which was spoils of war, the Portuguese had already transported more than 4 million slaves."

Not sure what this was supposed to mean but we never had a monopoly on the slave trade nor did we take it from Portugal. If you're saying that Portugal had already transported 4 million slaves before the RAC Royal Charter in 1672, your numbers are wildly inaccurate. 80% of all slaves were transported after 1700, Portugal accounted for about 4.6m slaves in total. The numbers don't add up.

"Slaves were seen as animals and treated as such (even branded), trading slaves was like trading goats. As awful as it is today, then it was accepted as such."

It wasn't actually accepted by the slaves themselves nor all the rulers in Africa. There were slave revolts all over the Americas throughout history, some of them successful like Haitian revolution but most were not. The Queen of Ndongo (modern Angola) sparked a century-long resistance against the Portugese through the 17th century. The kingdoms of Benin and Dahomey banned the trade in the early 18th century and attacked European controlled ports. It was only accepted by the profiteers but there was resistance to it all around the world. One of the most influential figures in the Haitian revolution was a man born in Bengal, India.

Erected in Bristol this morning on 15:49 - Jul 16 with 1225 viewsDrizzy

Erected in Bristol this morning on 14:54 - Jul 16 by 1462jack

No i do not think we should pull down all Mosques , I have no reason to hate any religion due to its past history , The same goes for countries , it’s all the past and now is the present People need to move on , there are people on this board whom vilify Our country for our past history and use that as a yard stick , Great Britain is not an intolerable country like others , this country is one of the most diverse and Socially accepting Countries on the plant , My job takes me around the world and I have been to some god forsaken countries and until you have the pleasure/displeasure of seeing how religion and race affect some places , how In some countries certain races are oppressed to the point of ethnic cleansing , murder etc then come back and tell me that in Great Britain the you are oppressed !

By the way I came from a area where no one amounts to anything or so we were told , a lot of my friends growing up are dead others in jail the rest are just getting bye ,you know what I decided , I decided to Get up off my arse and do something about it ,use the free education system (It’s there for all)and knuckle down Get the grades I needed , I started working straight from school and I now earn a very decent wage , I am 38 I have my own house my own car my kids have every thing . I have all this because it is available to all , once you realise no matter who you are where you come from nothing will be handed to you on a plate , it’s there for every one , you have to get up Stand up and be counted

I'm sure lots of people would be quite happy to "move on" from the past atrocities so long as they didn't experience racism today. The problem is it's still prevalent, arguably getting worse in recent years. Unless you think the study of history is futile, these past atrocities are still relevant to what people experience today.

I've never doubted that horrific genocide ethnic cleansing has occurred, and is still occurring, all around the world outside of the UK. Although telling a black person they can't feel oppressed because there are other races being ethnically cleansed is somewhat callous.

I take issue with the idea that Britain's tolerance and acceptance is some kind of fixed property, intrinsic to the country. It's not. We're only about 70 years removed from our own acts of genocide (Mau Mau revolt, Bengal famine) and about 40 years removed from horrific acts of police brutality towards certain races and widespread hostility to immigrants. It's not ancient history.

Turning the tide against racism has taken decades of campaigning for rights, education and empathy from those who haven't experienced. So much good work has been done in the last 20-30 years but sadly the problem still exists in much more insidious forms. The fact that so many Brits remain hostile to the presentation of historical fact shows why these conversations about the past are essential.

To put this into context, we're around 180 years from the end of slavery. 100 years from now, we'll be 180 years from the end of WW2. Do you think we should stop Remembrance Sunday after 100 years?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024