Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stephen Humphreys 19:11 - Sep 2 with 46467 viewsborodale

Dale have offer rejected according to Southend echo!!!!
Stephen Humphreys on 06:25 - Sep 3 with 4027 views1907

Stephen Humphreys on 22:03 - Sep 2 by AtThePeake

I think people went slightly overboard on their praise for him in his first spell, he had some talent and definite physical attributes but was raw to say the least and put in some pretty ineffective displays.

That said, his record at Southend in a very poor side suggests he has started to make the most of those attributes and I'd be excited by this signing as I think he fits the bill of a player who can not only score goals but also bring others into play.

Like Thacks, what I don't understand is why we're now making bids for players under contract when we have been trying to get the message out to agents that we have no money. I mentioned it on another thread the other day but if I'm one of said agents right now I think the club are blatantly lying to me and I'm looking to take my player elsewhere.

I know a bloke who is mates with Humphreys dad & he said that during his time here he was far too gym obsessed & upper body bulky. I believe he’s trimmed down quite a bit now. Also believe that his physique didn’t help with injuries.
Stephen Humphreys on 09:08 - Sep 3 with 3758 viewsheywooddale

Stephen Humphreys on 06:25 - Sep 3 by 1907

I know a bloke who is mates with Humphreys dad & he said that during his time here he was far too gym obsessed & upper body bulky. I believe he’s trimmed down quite a bit now. Also believe that his physique didn’t help with injuries.

That was one of the rumoured criticism from Hilly at the time Humphreys went back if my patchy memory serves me well. That he was ignoring the training plan put together for him by the club and just doing his own thing, which was focusing on bulking up.
Stephen Humphreys on 09:18 - Sep 3 with 3718 viewsfunkkk

Stephen Humphreys on 02:09 - Sep 3 by sweetcorn

I’d rather us put available funds into securing the services of someone who we think has the potential to step up and potentially score 20 goals for us. Humphreys may be that person now, but off the sample size I saw of him when playing for us, he doesn’t seem to be that.

We’re pleading poverty, so I can’t imagine we’re going to be paying a fee for 2 strikers, so I’d rather us test the waters with free agents when looking to replace last seasons reserve strikers (which by all accounts Calvin and Wilbraham were).

Probably aren't many 20 goal a season free agents knocking about and if there are would they be signing for us?
Stephen Humphreys on 09:19 - Sep 3 with 3709 viewsrkershaw

Stephen Humphreys on 09:18 - Sep 3 by funkkk

Probably aren't many 20 goal a season free agents knocking about and if there are would they be signing for us?

Mulvey to Mossley (loan)......CONFIRMED on official site!! ;)
Stephen Humphreys on 09:37 - Sep 3 with 3647 viewsJames1980

So of the 3 players we are chasing we know at least one was a forward and the bid for him has been rejected. Any clues as to the positions the other players play in?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Stephen Humphreys on 09:40 - Sep 3 with 3632 viewsAtThePeake

Stephen Humphreys on 02:09 - Sep 3 by sweetcorn

I’d rather us put available funds into securing the services of someone who we think has the potential to step up and potentially score 20 goals for us. Humphreys may be that person now, but off the sample size I saw of him when playing for us, he doesn’t seem to be that.

We’re pleading poverty, so I can’t imagine we’re going to be paying a fee for 2 strikers, so I’d rather us test the waters with free agents when looking to replace last seasons reserve strikers (which by all accounts Calvin and Wilbraham were).

Fair enough, I think it's asking a lot for a club in the position we're in to find someone who can score 20 goals a season, since you usually only get 4/5 maximum across the division that actually manage to hit 20. Henderson himself only managed it twice in his seven full seasons with us.

I don't expect us to pay fees for other strikers (I didn't expect us to be placing bids for anyone to be honest) but I do think it's wise to look at bringing in 2/3 forwards capable of chipping in with around 10 rather than looking for another 20 goal a season man and another one or two who offer next to nothing in terms of goals, partly because it's more realistic and partly because it makes you less reliant on one man. I think the reason Humphrys has been identified as a target worth paying a fee for is because he can chip in with at least 10 goals in a struggling side as we saw last season but he can also offer the physical threat and hold-up play of a Wilbraham for eg.

Tangled up in blue.

Stephen Humphreys on 09:51 - Sep 3 with 3580 viewssweetcorn

Stephen Humphreys on 09:18 - Sep 3 by funkkk

You’ll have to re-read my post buddy. First of all I didn’t make any mention of getting a free agent who will score 20 goals.

Also note the word potential, I’m realistic and know a proven goalscorer isn’t within our budget, but I’d rather we invest our money on someone we believe we can develop into a 20 a season man, Humphreys when he was here didn’t appear to be that type of striker, but perhaps things have changed.

Leader of the little gang of immature cretins.

Stephen Humphreys on 10:14 - Sep 3 with 3489 viewsCreepy

The other thing we need to remember is that a certain Ian Henderson wasn't exactly prolific when he came to us.

I'm not overly concerned that we won't bring any strikers in, more that we will be playing catch up by the time we do and have given everyone else 5 or 6 games start which we can ill afford to do.
Login to get fewer ads

Stephen Humphreys on 10:18 - Sep 3 with 3468 viewsboromat

Stephen Humphreys on 20:35 - Sep 2 by richfoad32

Am I missing summat, where was £500k mentioned? Not a hope in hell if that's the case.

That's the fee being reported that Bristol have offered for him.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Stephen Humphreys on 10:20 - Sep 3 with 3452 viewsfitzochris

Stephen Humphreys on 10:18 - Sep 3 by boromat

Bristol Rovers (or City) haven’t offered anything for him.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Stephen Humphreys on 10:23 - Sep 3 with 3443 viewsboromat

Stephen Humphreys on 10:14 - Sep 3 by Creepy

The other thing we need to remember is that a certain Ian Henderson wasn't exactly prolific when he came to us.

I'm not overly concerned that we won't bring any strikers in, more that we will be playing catch up by the time we do and have given everyone else 5 or 6 games start which we can ill afford to do.

To be fair that seems to happen every season. We do our best with what we have include some of the youth. And then in January we bring in some recruits to help save us from the drop.

Edit: I should add I get it seems worse this year 😂
[Post edited 3 Sep 2020 10:24]

Stephen Humphreys on 10:29 - Sep 3 with 3432 viewsAtThePeake

Stephen Humphreys on 10:18 - Sep 3 by boromat

I think that was just a fan on Twitter rather than a journalist or anything.

He also suggested that Bolton (who still aren't allowed to pay transfer fees) and Wigan (who are in administration) were interested so not sure where his info has come from!

Tangled up in blue.

Stephen Humphreys on 10:36 - Sep 3 with 3400 viewsboromat

Stephen Humphreys on 10:29 - Sep 3 by AtThePeake

I think that was just a fan on Twitter rather than a journalist or anything.

He also suggested that Bolton (who still aren't allowed to pay transfer fees) and Wigan (who are in administration) were interested so not sure where his info has come from!

Ah ok. Maybe that's where EFL Hub get their info 😂.

Stephen Humphreys on 10:38 - Sep 3 with 3393 viewsTomRAFC

He is the kind of player we need. Newby/Done/Baah need someone to run off. Him plus A.N. Other (COG/Alby) would be progress. Not ideal but reliable?

Left back is still a concern. Take Bunney for his crossing ability?

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Stephen Humphreys on 10:46 - Sep 3 with 3355 viewsStourdale

Stephen Humphreys on 10:38 - Sep 3 by TomRAFC

He is the kind of player we need. Newby/Done/Baah need someone to run off. Him plus A.N. Other (COG/Alby) would be progress. Not ideal but reliable?

If we could get Humphreys, I think we have the potential to have quite an exciting and mobile front 4.
Baah on the left, Newby in behind Humphreys and a new right winger.
Newby has looked his best in behind a front man and will create plenty for a decent striker.

Backup of Done, Dooley and Tavares would be the worry if we start to pick up injuries.
Stephen Humphreys on 10:52 - Sep 3 with 3317 viewsTVOS1907

Stephen Humphreys on 10:20 - Sep 3 by fitzochris

Bristol Rovers (or City) haven’t offered anything for him.

It was on Twitter, it must be true.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Stephen Humphreys on 10:56 - Sep 3 with 3307 viewsoddjob007

What about his defending ability which is poor, at best.

I’d much rather have a defender who can defend! He can always give it someone else to cross!!
Stephen Humphreys on 10:58 - Sep 3 with 3301 viewsHopwoodblue

Stephen Humphreys on 10:46 - Sep 3 by Stourdale

If we could get Humphreys, I think we have the potential to have quite an exciting and mobile front 4.
Baah on the left, Newby in behind Humphreys and a new right winger.
Newby has looked his best in behind a front man and will create plenty for a decent striker.

Backup of Done, Dooley and Tavares would be the worry if we start to pick up injuries.

Think I would rather see another central striker than a winger,think we can get away with Dooley and Baah as wide men but only operating with one central striker would be a worry for me if we need some fresh legs for the last twenty through the middle then I would want another striker again as many have said Alby on short term contract would fit the bill. Could pass on his vast experience to the young forwards and by all accounts he’s great in the dressing room, I’m sure he could do a job.
[Post edited 3 Sep 2020 10:59]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Stephen Humphreys on 11:19 - Sep 3 with 3190 viewsdingdangblue

Stephen Humphreys on 10:23 - Sep 3 by boromat

To be fair that seems to happen every season. We do our best with what we have include some of the youth. And then in January we bring in some recruits to help save us from the drop.

Edit: I should add I get it seems worse this year 😂
[Post edited 3 Sep 2020 10:24]

This will be our 1st season without Hendo since returning back to Lge 1 - a bit of an unknown and massive challenge.

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Stephen Humphreys on 11:44 - Sep 3 with 3106 viewsBlueMessiah

Stephen Humphreys on 10:56 - Sep 3 by oddjob007

What about his defending ability which is poor, at best.

I’d much rather have a defender who can defend! He can always give it someone else to cross!!

Equally I'd much rather have an unknown defender who MIGHT be able to defend than one who we know definitely can't!

Poll: Do I Know You?

Stephen Humphreys on 12:59 - Sep 3 with 2859 viewsCrede_Sign0

Could work - but cross to who?
Can’t see our new 4 - 6 formation troubling anyone!
We’d all like certainties on goal returns - particularly if we are going to splash some cash - but why don’t we have a punt on someone like Lee Ndlovu. 20 odd goals at a couple of levels below ..... screw it, let’s roll the dice and take a chance on someone like that.
Stephen Humphreys on 13:13 - Sep 3 with 2794 viewsDaleiLama

Stephen Humphreys on 06:25 - Sep 3 by 1907

I always felt with Humphreys that his bulk hindered him (he never used it with the same guile as Calvin, but you can't necessarily put an old head on young shoulders - unless they belong to Luke) and SH was frequently leveraged off the ball, even when he got there first. Even if Hendo didn't get to a ball first, he always made a nuisance of himself. My memories of SH were he was good in space, but struggled in traffic.

Maybe his game has changed with experience? BBM obviously thought he could be a fit. If he hasn't overcome the above though, I would rather we look elsewhere?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Stephen Humphreys on 15:24 - Sep 3 with 2491 viewsDalenet

I'd love to see him back to be honest and a look at his twitter account shows he loved it here

But should a club that needed to borrow from the council and took over £700k in Government furlough payments really be buying a player in this climate? I do hope we don't bid cash for anybody or we will be no different than Bury, Bolton or Wigan et al that we have all criticised
Stephen Humphreys on 16:04 - Sep 3 with 2338 views49thseason

Stephen Humphreys on 15:24 - Sep 3 by Dalenet

I'd love to see him back to be honest and a look at his twitter account shows he loved it here

But should a club that needed to borrow from the council and took over £700k in Government furlough payments really be buying a player in this climate? I do hope we don't bid cash for anybody or we will be no different than Bury, Bolton or Wigan et al that we have all criticised

I don't think any of us know what the financial situation really is. Borrowing from the Council might be a smart move if the rate is cheap enough and the length of payback long enough, in some respects it might simply be another follow-on loan having paid off the mortgage on the stadium, especially if borrowing from banks is either too expensive or simply unavailable to us.
The difference between taking advantage of affordable financing and what Bury and others were doing is huge. Equally, could it be that the Dawson money has finally landed from WBA? Or a Payment from Wolves for Matheson? We simply don't know.
The overheads have been cut fairly dramatically on the playing salaries side of things so attracting a striker with decent money and a transfer payment might be entirely possible given that clubs don't seem to pay transfer fees as a single lump sum these days ... did they ever?
Stephen Humphreys on 16:42 - Sep 3 with 2200 viewsjudd

Stephen Humphreys on 16:04 - Sep 3 by 49thseason

I don't think any of us know what the financial situation really is. Borrowing from the Council might be a smart move if the rate is cheap enough and the length of payback long enough, in some respects it might simply be another follow-on loan having paid off the mortgage on the stadium, especially if borrowing from banks is either too expensive or simply unavailable to us.
The difference between taking advantage of affordable financing and what Bury and others were doing is huge. Equally, could it be that the Dawson money has finally landed from WBA? Or a Payment from Wolves for Matheson? We simply don't know.
The overheads have been cut fairly dramatically on the playing salaries side of things so attracting a striker with decent money and a transfer payment might be entirely possible given that clubs don't seem to pay transfer fees as a single lump sum these days ... did they ever?

The council loan was to the stadium company, secured on its assets and guaranteed by RAFC. It is an initial loan, repayable over 12 months from future transfer earnings.
Most of the above is available in the decision document on RMBC website, the last bit in a document posted by smaclad1, which had now been restricted due to commercial sensitivity.

In March I believe the club was turned down by their bank for a business interruption loan.

A friend of mine well connected at Wolves tells me we have been paid for Luke in instalments and in full and that the fee was nearer half a million than the 1 million reported by Sky Sports sources, although no idea of add ons.

I think it has been reported elsewhere that the Dawson money is due this month.

Poll: What is it to be then?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024