Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Super U's to defeat Trotters at a Canter. 00:20 - Apr 2 with 1686 viewsdurham_exile

So, here is the thing we are now on our third Head Coach of the season, 2 wins in 24 games, and we go to the form team of the league Bolton Wanderers led by Ian Evatt with 11 wins and 2 draws in their last 13 games. So, what are the chances of a notable double for this miserable season. I am not a betting man and I would imagine that very few people would offer any chance of Colchester securing the three points.

But that is exactly the point, football is such a strange game. Hayden Mullins offers new Head Coach bounce and with Paul Tisdale now assisting in an advisory position for the final 8 games and at a stadium where we are not expected to get anything at all, a season enhancing victory at the University of Bolton Stadium for the U’s is my prediction by 3-2. The shock of the season no less at 1300hrs on Good Friday but why not. The Trotters will be expecting to win, complacency will have set in, and we are due a performance and result.

Table:

20 Walsall 37 41 -7
21 COL U 38 39 -17
22 Barrow 36 38 -4
23 Southend 38 35 -27
24 Grimsby 37 32 -27

Remaining Games:

Bolton A Win (yes really)
Barrow H Win
Oldham A Draw
Walsall H Win
Southend H Win
Cheltenham A
Salford H
Tranmere A

Realistically we need to win 3 of our next 5 games to ensure survival. Barrow, Walsall, and Southend offer our best chances of wins and look the favourite three games, but I do believe that we can beat the Trotters and that will engender the confidence required to get those other valuable victories. Yes I know there are 8 games, but we need the points now not later. Besides a safety net would then exist if we did not achieve the required victories against our fellow relegation candidates.

So, who will Hayden Mullins choose to kick an 8-game season off at Bolton?

I do not think he will make many changes. The players are good enough, it is all about gaining the confidence to turn performances into results.

In goal Gerken or George. Of the all the positions over the years Colchester have always employed a decent Goalkeeper. I think HM will just give the nod to Gerken.

The back four is likely to be Welch-Hayes, Eastman, Smith and Clampin (if fit) otherwise Doherty.

Midfield: Stevenson, Pell and Wiredu.

Strikers: Senior, Brown and Folivi.

Subs:

George, Tchamadeu, Cowan-Hall, Chilvers, Nouble, Lapslie, Tovide

Our International players (Harriott and Poku) are still unavailable and so we must wait for their return. Big Frank has been a popular player at the club and when he first returned on loan, he showed glimpses of his old form. Recently he has been struggling for pace and has lost some impetus. I would play Michael Folivi who has pace and with Brown and Senior can offer real problems for the Bolton defence.

In the last games the team was beginning to gel because WB was playing a settled team without too many changes. 8 games for these players to secure the points to get us out of the predicament that we find ourselves in.

Football is all about confidence and after such a wretched run confidence is low, attitude has suffered and there has been a lack of belief. HM knows the squad and the set up. If he truly has been given a green light for the final 8 games, then he should be allowed to set the team up his way and to get his tactics right. Tisdale will be invaluable here, he took an Exeter City team with limited resources and achieved consistent performances and promotions.

RC has given them both 8 games or 720 minutes to achieve the points to save our season and give us a chance to remain a league club.

Some years ago, I went to Notts County who themselves were struggling to survive (they played the theme to the Great Escape before the game) and they showed, effort, commitment, and endeavour to play us off the park and to win the game. Having achieved that miracle that season they made the mistake of failing to consolidate and look where they are now. We must survive and build back better for next year.

We need to take total commitment to Bolton tomorrow and to play with enthusiasm and belief. There should be no necessity to encourage the squad. The players know what is expected of them and they understand the implications of failure.

Ironically earlier in the season we defeated the Trotters by 2-0 and whilst they had plenty of the ball, we deserved the victory. It is a long time since we scored early doors and took the game to the opposition. Recently we have almost been waiting for the opposition to score and then have been chasing the game.
Our Away record is lamentable but one of the reasons for that is that SB played 4,5,1 or 5,4,1 and our single striker was isolated and marked out of the game. More recently against a decent Tranmere team, we should have scored 3 or 4 goals in the first half and the effort that night suggested that we had the nouse to get out of the relegation mire. Sadly, the effort and commitment was not there against Bradford after another slow start and once again conceding the first goal.

No one gives Colchester a hope against Bolton, so let us go at them early doors and get players forward. The players must do this for the Coach, for themselves but also for the faithful who have suffered tremendously this season. I do not believe that we are a bad team. I think instead that the players have been mis-managed this season and expected to play often out of position and ultra-defensively.

As a result of iFollow I have been able to watch every league game this season and like many am heartedly sick and tired of the poor results, the criticism from the pundits and commentators and the air of depression that then envelopes the board and the faithful. It is so frustrating to lose to some of the sides that we have been beaten by this season. Now the league table never lies but think about losing to Cambridge, Scunny, Crawley, Port Vale and Bradford. Absolutely shocking.

Now I am not advocating the Kevin Keegan school of management, but let the players express themselves and see what they can achieve over the next eight games. If we fail, then let no one turn round and say that we did not try to achieve the required results.

RC took an early decision from a business rather than football perspective. The writing was on the wall when the Colchester four or rather five if you include Ethan Ross were let go after the Exeter play off defeat last season. He has been in charge for 15 years and frankly the last 5 years have been increasingly difficult. We may well remain in the black at the end of the season, but that will count for little if we face life outside of the Football League. We simply must survive.

We initially looked good value for a promotion spot, then more realistically a play off berth and then the rot set in after Marine and the mauling at Exeter. Morecambe cruised to victory against us, but we lost some games to poor teams as well. See above.

Weather in Bolton will be 9 degrees c, sunny and dry at 1300hrs. Remember an early kick off for Good Friday. A victory will shock all the teams around us and put them under pressure. The determination of the final places is still in our own hands. We still have to play Barrow, Walsall, and Southend. The players owe the supporters for that shocking performance at Roots Hall on Boxing Day.

Tomorrow though is all about springing a surprise. How much does the team want this? Are they able to produce a match winning performance at the University of Bolton stadium? I believe so.

Try and enjoy the game.

Keep the faith.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Super U's to defeat Trotters at a Canter. on 15:02 - Apr 3 with 439 viewsthrillseeker

Huge score for CUFC down at the sh*t hole that is Sarfend

A win Monday would be huge for us
Super U's to defeat Trotters at a Canter. on 15:35 - Apr 3 with 418 viewsgerry_us

Can't think when I was more interested in a Sarfend score!
Super U's to defeat Trotters at a Canter. on 16:01 - Apr 3 with 406 viewsthrillseeker

Super U's to defeat Trotters at a Canter. on 15:35 - Apr 3 by gerry_us

Can't think when I was more interested in a Sarfend score!

Same here

Our next 4 games are against teams we are fighting for relegation

Barrow, Oldham, Walsall and Seaweed. - get 9 points and we should be fine

But the problem is we need goals

I have faith we can do this
Super U's to defeat Trotters at a Canter. on 20:54 - Apr 3 with 356 viewswessex_exile

Never underestimate the ability of Southend United to brighten up a Saturday afternoon.

Missed a penalty to draw level in the game, conceded a second to put another dent in their already severely dented goal difference, and lost an eminently winnable home game in the process.

Pure comedy gold

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Super U's to defeat Trotters at a Canter. on 23:23 - Apr 3 with 323 viewsdurham_exile

Super U's to defeat Trotters at a Canter. on 20:54 - Apr 3 by wessex_exile

Never underestimate the ability of Southend United to brighten up a Saturday afternoon.

Missed a penalty to draw level in the game, conceded a second to put another dent in their already severely dented goal difference, and lost an eminently winnable home game in the process.

Pure comedy gold

It makes their result at Harrogate all the more annoying.

We simply must beat Scummend at the JSCS.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Super U's to defeat Trotters at a Canter. on 00:07 - Apr 4 with 318 viewswessex_exile

Super U's to defeat Trotters at a Canter. on 23:23 - Apr 3 by durham_exile

It makes their result at Harrogate all the more annoying.

We simply must beat Scummend at the JSCS.

Up the U's

Indeed we must, but even if we don't, they'll still be two points behind us as things stand.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024