Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City 23M debt 22:47 - May 30 with 9120 viewsKeithHaynes

The authoritative Swiss Ramble reviews Swansea City’s 2020/21 accounts, when they swung from £2.7m pre-tax profit to £4.6m loss. Revenue fell £22m to £28m (lower parachute payment & COVID impact) and profit on player sales down £5m to £12m, largely offset by big cost reduction.

They swung from a pre-tax profit of £2.7m to a loss of £4.6m, as revenue fell £22m (45%) from £50m to £28m and profit from player sales dropped £5m (30%) to £12m, partly offset by total expenses reducing by £17m (26%) and £3.3m insurance claim. Loss after tax was £4.1m.

The main reason for the £22m revenue decrease was broadcasting, which dropped £17m (44%) from £39m to £22m, mainly due to lower parachute payment, though COVID also drove reductions in match day, down £3.0m (63%) to £1.8m, and commercial, down £1.8m (31%) to £4.1m.

Although a loss is rarely good news, the £4.6m deficit was one of the better results in 2020/21 with five clubs posting losses above £20m. As chief executive Julian Winter said, “The club remains in a comparatively positive financial position within the Championship.”

In their seven seasons in the Premier League (between 2012 and 2018), profits amounted to an impressive £36m. Performance has deteriorated in the last three seasons in the Championship, but this has only resulted in a relatively low net loss of £9m.

Since relegation from the Premier League, revenue has dropped by £99m (78%) from £127m in 2018 to £28m, very largely due to less TV money in the Championship (£83m decrease), though commercial and match day are also down £10m and £6m respectively.

Revenue decline has been cushioned by Premier League parachute payments, though these have fallen in each of the three years since relegation: 2019 £43m, 2020 £34m and £2021 £15m. Last season was the final tranche, so 2021/22 revenue will be even lower.

Commercial revenue fell £1.8m (31%) to £4.1m, comprising £3.1m commercial income and £0.9m other, the lowest since 2011 and down from £14.5m three years ago. This is mid-table in the Championship, a fair way below the likes of Stoke City £12m, Norwich £8m and Bristol City £8m.

Reliance on player sales

The club noted that £12.5m profit from player sales was “used to partially fund the operating loss”, though down from prior year’s £17.8m. Mainly came from sale of Joe Rodon to Spurs. This is still pretty good.

The Swans have become quite reliant on player sales, adding up to £144m in the last five years, compared to £46m in preceding 5-year period. This season’s profit will be lower (Connor Roberts to Burnley and Jamal Lowe to Bournemouth), so more player trading likely this summer to balance the books.

If forecast player sales are not achieved, they would need to find further sources of funding to maintain cash flow. The auditors noted, “This represents a material uncertainty which may cast significant doubt about the club’s ability to continue as a going concern.”

Average attendance in 2019/20 (for games played with fans) was 16,151, which was in the bottom half of the Championship. Down 4,500 (22%) since relegation. The club slashed ticket renewal prices for the 2021/22 campaign.

Wages

The wage bill fell £11m (28%) from £39m (excluding £1.7m onerous contracts) to £28m, which means that wages have been cut by £63m (69%) in the three years since relegation (revenue down £99m in same period). Club’s lowest wage bill since £17m in 2011.

Following the decrease, the £28m wage bill is mid-table in the Championship. Less than half of Watford £68m, Norwicj £67m and Bournemouth £57m (though the first two included hefty promotion bonuses). Number of staff reduced from 409 in the Premier League to 244.

Despite the reduction in wages, the wages to turnover ratio increased from 77% to 101%, though this was actually one of the lowest (best) in the Championship. The vast majority of clubs in this division have unsustainable ratios well above 100% (incredibly six are over 200%).

Debt

Gross debt rose £21m from £2m to £23m, including £13.6m convertible loan (as a result of director Jake Silverstein’s investment in August 2020) and two interest-free EFL loans amounting to £7.5m. This is the club’s highest debt since 2015.

Despite the increase, the £23m gross debt is one of the smallest in the Championship, far below Stoke City £212m, Bournemouth £165m, Blackburn Rovers £152m and Watford £139m. However, almost all debt in this division is from the clubs’ owners, so is “soft” in nature.

The club have bought the land at the south end of the stadium, while acquiring 100% of the company responsible for the Liberty Stadium management. This would facilitate stadium capacity expansion, but this would only be considered after a return to the Premier League.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swansea City 23M debt on 12:14 - Jun 1 with 1858 viewsReslovenSwan1

Swansea City 23M debt on 04:26 - Jun 1 by Kilkennyjack

Another spot on post from Jasper.

The Academy is the key.
It failed us in the Prem with only Roberts since Ben - and loan signings since have meant the club has failed the Academy since relegation.

We need the right type of Academy and the best coaches we can afford.
Common sense tells you that all the best coaches available cannot all be born within 10 miles of the Liberty.
We need the best we can afford, not jobs for the boys.

You have some sort of prejudice fro the Swansea academy. Swansea under the excellent leadership of Huw Jenkins wanted to form a strong philosophy and a "boot room " culture where the culture of the club came from the grass roots. As such Britton Tate Oleary Trundle Curtis were until recently still influences. I am all for it.

Britton was incorporated to help K'OL with the u23. No one better in my view. He impressed Mr Birch but might not have been comfortable in a shirt and tie all week. Others in the set up have been round and developed Joey Allen Ben Davies Dan James etc. Tried and trusted and giving continuity.

You without evidence have made a "jobs for the boys" cheap shot which is regrettable. Do you have any evidence of anyone in the underage system is not up to the necessary standard?

It was incredibly difficult for Dan James to boot out Wayne Routledge from the team and Federico Fernandez was better than an 18 year old Joe Rodon. Angel Rangel was too good for Conor Roberts at 19 years old.

Wales will hopefully go to the first world cup in my lifetime with Connor Roberts Ben Davies Joey Allen and Dan James with Ben Cabango pressing as key players all developed in the last 10 years. What is it that you do not get?

Wise sage since Toshack era

Swansea City 23M debt on 13:16 - Jun 1 with 1805 viewsBoundy

Swansea City 23M debt on 12:14 - Jun 1 by ReslovenSwan1

You have some sort of prejudice fro the Swansea academy. Swansea under the excellent leadership of Huw Jenkins wanted to form a strong philosophy and a "boot room " culture where the culture of the club came from the grass roots. As such Britton Tate Oleary Trundle Curtis were until recently still influences. I am all for it.

Britton was incorporated to help K'OL with the u23. No one better in my view. He impressed Mr Birch but might not have been comfortable in a shirt and tie all week. Others in the set up have been round and developed Joey Allen Ben Davies Dan James etc. Tried and trusted and giving continuity.

You without evidence have made a "jobs for the boys" cheap shot which is regrettable. Do you have any evidence of anyone in the underage system is not up to the necessary standard?

It was incredibly difficult for Dan James to boot out Wayne Routledge from the team and Federico Fernandez was better than an 18 year old Joe Rodon. Angel Rangel was too good for Conor Roberts at 19 years old.

Wales will hopefully go to the first world cup in my lifetime with Connor Roberts Ben Davies Joey Allen and Dan James with Ben Cabango pressing as key players all developed in the last 10 years. What is it that you do not get?

The turn over of Academy staff has been quite astonishing over the years and bears no resemblance of say 6 years ago so continuity of the philosophy maybe lacking in some age groups. Even Jon Beale previous Head of Academy and recently with Hull ( who had some influence on how we acquired Dan James ) is now plying his trade with Swansea University , Paul Reid now with Port Talbot , Tate with Cooper , Cameron Toshack and Gary Richards , another head of academy Nigel Rees, Mark Allen, all gone .As an Academy imo we've been in a state of flux for quite a while so hopefully with the players already retained and new faces we can experience some more success and financial stability

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Swansea City 23M debt on 15:24 - Jun 1 with 1762 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea City 23M debt on 13:16 - Jun 1 by Boundy

The turn over of Academy staff has been quite astonishing over the years and bears no resemblance of say 6 years ago so continuity of the philosophy maybe lacking in some age groups. Even Jon Beale previous Head of Academy and recently with Hull ( who had some influence on how we acquired Dan James ) is now plying his trade with Swansea University , Paul Reid now with Port Talbot , Tate with Cooper , Cameron Toshack and Gary Richards , another head of academy Nigel Rees, Mark Allen, all gone .As an Academy imo we've been in a state of flux for quite a while so hopefully with the players already retained and new faces we can experience some more success and financial stability

Jon Beale was never Head of Academy.

In 2014, John Beale joined Hull City from Swans.
In 2014, Dan James did the exact opposite thing and joined Swans from Hull.

You have got it wrapped around you again mun.

You are correct on the stability point though.

Beware of the Risen People

Swansea City 23M debt on 15:31 - Jun 1 with 1758 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea City 23M debt on 12:14 - Jun 1 by ReslovenSwan1

Quite wrong.

I am delighted to see our local players come through.
I am against (almost) all recruitment below first team level. Focus should be local.

Have you got any evidence that the coaches appointed were the best available ?

I think it’s remarkable that the best coaches available always all live within 10 miles of the Liberty, and often without meaningful professional careers to call upon.

I would love Rangel, Leon etc with outstanding recent careers to be sharing their hard earned knowledge. I guess you see no value in that.

Swansea City 23M debt on 15:55 - Jun 1 with 1746 viewsBoundy

Swansea City 23M debt on 15:24 - Jun 1 by Kilkennyjack

Jon Beale was never Head of Academy.

In 2014, John Beale joined Hull City from Swans.
In 2014, Dan James did the exact opposite thing and joined Swans from Hull.

You have got it wrapped around you again mun.

You are correct on the stability point though.

Perhaps Jon was lying to all and sundry , he was Head of Academy Coaching Oct 2009 - Apr 2014 .He left us to join Hull in which slightly later , Dan James was signed by us . Try again .

Swansea City 23M debt on 16:38 - Jun 1 with 1730 viewsReslovenSwan1

Swansea City 23M debt on 15:31 - Jun 1 by Kilkennyjack

Quite wrong.

I am delighted to see our local players come through.
I am against (almost) all recruitment below first team level. Focus should be local.

Have you got any evidence that the coaches appointed were the best available ?

I think it’s remarkable that the best coaches available always all live within 10 miles of the Liberty, and often without meaningful professional careers to call upon.

I would love Rangel, Leon etc with outstanding recent careers to be sharing their hard earned knowledge. I guess you see no value in that.

Sadly the Swansea area talent pool cannot support providing players for all age groups at a Championship club. Swansea or even the whole of Wales has not provided a decent big centre forward in the mould of (Surridge or Goykeres) for decades. Neither were rated at Swansea. Goalkeepers - none.

The Evans brothers Jack and Cameron got to the pinnacle of the first team and then failed to break through. It is very tough. I fear Martin will be throwing out good players to be developed under contract for inferior players carrying fees. Barely any fans rate Fisher above Benda for example.

You might of been one of them sneering at Osian Roberts a few years back. I recall the posts on here. "FAW head of coaching is ex Portmadoc town that is their level" they sneered. Where you live means nothing. Osian is now assistant manager at Crystal Palace.

Swansea city delivers good players. The only question is what level are the latest crop Benda, Garrick, Brandon C and O and Cullen. Congreave, Cotterill are on their heals.

I would love to see Rangal and Ash williams in the academy.

Swansea City 23M debt on 10:31 - Jun 2 with 1584 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea City 23M debt on 15:55 - Jun 1 by Boundy

Perhaps Jon was lying to all and sundry , he was Head of Academy Coaching Oct 2009 - Apr 2014 .He left us to join Hull in which slightly later , Dan James was signed by us . Try again .

Hi John. Hope you are ok.

I thought Tony Pennock was the Head man at Swansea Academy then ?
My apologies.
I didn’t realise Tony actually worked into you John.

Of course Pennock was newly arrived at Hull when Dan left them.
Pennock actually tried to stop Dan leaving Hull and joining us.
I dont blame him, that was his job.

This is what Pennock said at the time …

“I wish Dan James all the very best. We’re disappointed to lose him but I don’t see that as recruitment. I see that as cherry picking. It’s a shame because he’d been at the club since they were nine.”

Swansea City 23M debt on 13:29 - Jun 2 with 1545 viewsBoundy

Swansea City 23M debt on 10:31 - Jun 2 by Kilkennyjack

My apologies.

“I wish Dan James all the very best. We’re disappointed to lose him but I don’t see that as recruitment. I see that as cherry picking. It’s a shame because he’d been at the club since they were nine.”

Obviously English isn't your first language or you're just thick, either way no need to apologise, Jesus loves you

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea City 23M debt on 13:57 - Jun 2 with 1522 viewsReslovenSwan1

Swansea City 23M debt on 10:31 - Jun 2 by Kilkennyjack

My apologies.

The academy system is a cherry pickers dream. Wrexham were filletted losing all their best young prospects. Swansea with a highly rated academy managed to keep their best prospects. Cardiff lost Rabbi Matondo and may lose his younger brother Japhet as well.

Swansea City 23M debt on 17:50 - Jun 2 with 1462 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea City 23M debt on 13:57 - Jun 2 by ReslovenSwan1

The academy system is a cherry pickers dream. Wrexham were filletted losing all their best young prospects. Swansea with a highly rated academy managed to keep their best prospects. Cardiff lost Rabbi Matondo and may lose his younger brother Japhet as well.

Who did Wrexham lose ?

Swansea City 23M debt on 17:58 - Jun 2 with 1459 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea City 23M debt on 16:38 - Jun 1 by ReslovenSwan1

Sadly the Swansea area talent pool cannot support providing players for all age groups at a Championship club. Swansea or even the whole of Wales has not provided a decent big centre forward in the mould of (Surridge or Goykeres) for decades. Neither were rated at Swansea. Goalkeepers - none.

The Evans brothers Jack and Cameron got to the pinnacle of the first team and then failed to break through. It is very tough. I fear Martin will be throwing out good players to be developed under contract for inferior players carrying fees. Barely any fans rate Fisher above Benda for example.

You might of been one of them sneering at Osian Roberts a few years back. I recall the posts on here. "FAW head of coaching is ex Portmadoc town that is their level" they sneered. Where you live means nothing. Osian is now assistant manager at Crystal Palace.

Swansea city delivers good players. The only question is what level are the latest crop Benda, Garrick, Brandon C and O and Cullen. Congreave, Cotterill are on their heals.

Osian has transformed Welsh football.
No Euro 2016 without Osian.

I would love to see what Osian could do at Swans in the future.
Osian promotes a positive culture of respect and provides the very best of everything off the pitch so the players have every chance on the pitch.

So you got the wrong poster.

I am a great admirer of the work of Osian Roberts.

Swansea City 23M debt on 18:00 - Jun 2 with 1458 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea City 23M debt on 13:29 - Jun 2 by Boundy

Obviously English isn't your first language or you're just thick, either way no need to apologise, Jesus loves you

🤣

Swansea City 23M debt on 23:47 - Jun 2 with 1371 viewsReslovenSwan1

Swansea City 23M debt on 17:50 - Jun 2 by Kilkennyjack

Who did Wrexham lose ?

Jordan Williams Liverpool now Bolton.
Nathan Broadhead Everton
Gethin Jones Everton now Bolton.

Many others that did not progress.

Swansea City 23M debt on 23:56 - Jun 2 with 1370 viewsChief

Swansea City 23M debt on 23:47 - Jun 2 by ReslovenSwan1

Jordan Williams Liverpool now Bolton.
Nathan Broadhead Everton
Gethin Jones Everton now Bolton.

Many others that did not progress.

Jordan Davies in a roundabout way.

Wouldn't be too disappointed if we took a punt on him.

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Swansea City 23M debt on 12:55 - Jun 3 with 1263 viewsLorax

Swansea City 23M debt on 13:57 - Jun 2 by ReslovenSwan1

Any academy is always a cherry pickers dream for the divisions above, even in the EPL the lower clubs will be cherry picked by the top 6/7. it will always be that way, youngsters will have their heads turned by the biggest or most successful clubs and/or the massive increase in terms they will get.
Dan James is a prime example. His move to Old Trafford was pretty much a failure and put his career backwards. I'm sure some of us (myself included) questioned the wisdom of that move, it coming to soon for a player nowhere near ready who was soon found out by the better quality he faced. Pace is devastating but not much use if you cannot cross, if your final ball is dodgy, being the fastest player isn't god enough. Leeds is a much better place for him but even there he has had some issues.
These big clubs often buy players who have had a great season and all too often these players end up as makeweights in the squad (Scott Sinclair at Man City) or they find they don't fit the teams style (Man City again with Bony) and young players can quickly fold under the pressure. Is that what happened to Ravel Morrison? he was very highly rated but went off the rails.
Agents love these big money moves, it makes them a fortune but it can prove a nightmare for the player they have badly advised, money isn't everything especially not if a player genuinely wants to improve and have a good career.
Swansea City 23M debt on 15:32 - Jun 3 with 1233 viewsjasper_T

Swansea City 23M debt on 12:55 - Jun 3 by Lorax

Any academy is always a cherry pickers dream for the divisions above, even in the EPL the lower clubs will be cherry picked by the top 6/7. it will always be that way, youngsters will have their heads turned by the biggest or most successful clubs and/or the massive increase in terms they will get.
Dan James is a prime example. His move to Old Trafford was pretty much a failure and put his career backwards. I'm sure some of us (myself included) questioned the wisdom of that move, it coming to soon for a player nowhere near ready who was soon found out by the better quality he faced. Pace is devastating but not much use if you cannot cross, if your final ball is dodgy, being the fastest player isn't god enough. Leeds is a much better place for him but even there he has had some issues.
These big clubs often buy players who have had a great season and all too often these players end up as makeweights in the squad (Scott Sinclair at Man City) or they find they don't fit the teams style (Man City again with Bony) and young players can quickly fold under the pressure. Is that what happened to Ravel Morrison? he was very highly rated but went off the rails.
Agents love these big money moves, it makes them a fortune but it can prove a nightmare for the player they have badly advised, money isn't everything especially not if a player genuinely wants to improve and have a good career.

Selling Dan James as a 20 year old for 15m+ is a very different situation to losing prospects as 13-17 year old academy players/scholars as Cardiff did with Matondo. We took DJ from Hull like Man City nabbed Rabbi, big profits in both cases. Emyr Huws maybe the biggest name we lost like that, but he hasn't come to much.

He failed to make the grade at Man Utd but in what world did it move his career backwards? 50 PL games in two seasons (far more than anyone expected especially that first year), nailed on starter for Wales, then moved to another PL club and played 30+ times. If only more Wales players could more backwards like that.
Swansea City 23M debt on 18:01 - Jun 3 with 1172 viewsKilkennyjack

Swansea City 23M debt on 23:56 - Jun 2 by Chief

Jordan Davies in a roundabout way.

Wouldn't be too disappointed if we took a punt on him.

Jordan Davies was the one i was thinking of, and yes he would be a good signing for us.
Agreed.

Swansea City 23M debt on 18:33 - Jun 3 with 1162 viewsLorax

Swansea City 23M debt on 15:32 - Jun 3 by jasper_T

Selling Dan James as a 20 year old for 15m+ is a very different situation to losing prospects as 13-17 year old academy players/scholars as Cardiff did with Matondo. We took DJ from Hull like Man City nabbed Rabbi, big profits in both cases. Emyr Huws maybe the biggest name we lost like that, but he hasn't come to much.

He failed to make the grade at Man Utd but in what world did it move his career backwards? 50 PL games in two seasons (far more than anyone expected especially that first year), nailed on starter for Wales, then moved to another PL club and played 30+ times. If only more Wales players could more backwards like that.

The point was clubs will always be cherry picked by those above. it's the nature of the beats in just about every business, the big prey on the weaker.

His career did take a backwards step, surely being at Man U who expect to be challenging at the top table but then moving to a club who end up in a relegation fight is a backward move?
How much does being a nailed on starter for Wales really mean? look at other nailed on starters over the years, Chris Gunter for example. Wales is a small country and any decent championship player will get a chance. An EPL player is bound to get picked. That James played those 50 times for the Mancs tells you what kind of place they have been in.

Still, it's all about opinions.
Swansea City 23M debt on 19:35 - Jun 3 with 1129 viewsKilkennyjack

Agreed Jasper, spot on.

Swansea City 23M debt on 19:46 - Jun 3 with 1115 viewsAndyCole

Jasper, you're head n shoulders above most of the crowd, as per. And fair play to you for your dignified way of handling the unthinking here.

A credit to this site which elevates it above all pretenders.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Swansea City 23M debt on 09:20 - Jun 4 with 994 viewsBillyChong

Have the days of us signing youth for our own 23’s from other youth sides in the hopes of getting one decent season in the full squad before selling on for big bucks gone then? That doesn’t include the ones signed from LoW sides, more along the lines of what we did with McBurnie, James etc.
Swansea City 23M debt on 11:40 - Jun 4 with 940 viewsjasper_T

Swansea City 23M debt on 09:20 - Jun 4 by BillyChong

Have the days of us signing youth for our own 23’s from other youth sides in the hopes of getting one decent season in the full squad before selling on for big bucks gone then? That doesn’t include the ones signed from LoW sides, more along the lines of what we did with McBurnie, James etc.

We can't really afford to commit a few hundred thousand a head on u23s players for the future. McBurnie was 19 and had senior experiences. Fulton and all the other Scots the same. That profile of player is being added to the first team group rather than working with the u23s, and those deals have more in common with Kyle Joseph than what we're doing in the development ranks.

Recruitment in the u23s is free transfers/out of contract players no longer wanted by their clubs. Most sign after a trial period which can happen as early as Feb/Mar after decisions are made. There are far more misses than hits when shopping in this market. Most will move on after a single year. Some are signed simply as squad-fillers in needed positions to help the group (which is why pickings are generally slim - the biggest academies will often hold on to players the feel might only have a ceiling of Championship/League One level, even if they don't profit from individuals down the line they need numbers).

You can still find some decent players. Byers was a freebie. Latibeaudiere as well. Lincoln McFayden did enough to earn a longer deal this season. But even when we were in the PL and were a more attractive destination these usually didn't make the grade (Gorre, the Reids).

We have been bringing in 16 year olds on scholarships by offering guaranteed pro deals when they turn 17 as a way to sweeten the pot. Can be costly when the player doesn't progress as expected (Akande paid off in January). But again we only have access to players who have been released, we're not going to tribunals over fees after poaching players like we did DJ. The lads picked up from LoW have as much chance as any of them (Corey Hurford definitely looks a player, signed to play wingback but excellent up front for the u18s).
Swansea City 23M debt on 21:57 - Jun 4 with 759 viewsBryanSwan

Swansea City 23M debt on 16:38 - Jun 1 by ReslovenSwan1

Our academy has been pretty good to be fair, i think it is underestimated how hard it is to produce players that are going to be of a championship standard or previously premier league standard.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Swansea City 23M debt on 00:10 - Jun 5 with 737 viewsAndyCole

Swansea City 23M debt on 21:57 - Jun 4 by BryanSwan

Our academy has been pretty good to be fair, i think it is underestimated how hard it is to produce players that are going to be of a championship standard or previously premier league standard.

Bryan! For one of your posts to be remotely meaningful for a change, qualify that statement. For once, for the first time ........

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Swansea City 23M debt on 09:49 - Jun 5 with 662 viewsBryanSwan

Swansea City 23M debt on 00:10 - Jun 5 by AndyCole

Bryan! For one of your posts to be remotely meaningful for a change, qualify that statement. For once, for the first time ........

Good to see your back up to your usual nonsense again.
The stats from 2020 show that approximately 0.5% of academy footballers will go on to make a career out of football at any professional level.
Falling to 0.012% chance of making it at Premier league level.
Using those figures and the amount of youth players we have produced that are still in the professional game i would say our academy is doing alright.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024