Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next manager and reasons why... 17:17 - Aug 18 with 77248 viewsSheffield_dale

Shame it didn't work for Robbie. IMO he didn't get the team prepared for the season and unfortunately deserves to go. I can understand what he wanted to achieve with the formation but didn't coach them well enough/quick enough to put it into action. We would be too far adrift before things clicked into place.

So, who do we want next.

I'll throw in a suggestion.

Dave Artell.

Steadily built up a Crewe team on a low budget and got promoted.

Not perfect by any means but he would be within our budget and has decent L2 experience and success.

Next manager and reasons why... on 11:06 - Aug 21 with 4913 viewsD_Alien

Next manager and reasons why... on 10:59 - Aug 21 by samueloneils

On a lighter note has anyone read Wikipedia on Artell.

When he took over Crewe in 2017(only 36 at the time and his first job) they were facing relegation out of League 2 after a 4-0 defeat at Hartlepool. He then warned his players that relegation means oblivion . They would end up on the Conference North on £200 aweek with a job as a milkman.
They then won 4 of the next 5 games and went up to 17th. Subsequently they were promoted and had their best ever season in Leage 1.

It didn`t last.........BUT maybe this is what we need right now.

You can see how that'd work with a team in danger of losing it's league status, but not for one that'd just finished mid-table in L1. Maybe he's learned from that, but Christ, i'll take that right now

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:08 - Aug 21 with 4621 viewswimborne_dale

I'll do it.
I quite fancy a new challenge and the change of scene would do me nothing but good.

Edgar Allan's Crow

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:15 - Aug 21 with 4587 viewsJames1980

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:08 - Aug 21 by wimborne_dale

I'll do it.
I quite fancy a new challenge and the change of scene would do me nothing but good.

Will you're management style be like a cross between Mr Bronson from Grange Hill and the drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:17 - Aug 21 with 4567 viewsTVOS1907

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:15 - Aug 21 by James1980

Will you're management style be like a cross between Mr Bronson from Grange Hill and the drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket?

Can he speak French? Or was it German? Or both?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:27 - Aug 21 with 4544 viewsJames1980

Next manager and reasons why... on 13:17 - Aug 21 by TVOS1907

Can he speak French? Or was it German? Or both?

French according to t'Internet. Not sure about Sergeant Hartman's ability to speak different languages.

Next manager and reasons why... on 15:30 - Aug 21 with 4370 viewsClivert

Next manager and reasons why... on 01:24 - Aug 21 by WellFan

Thing is the team he inherited finished 3rd in the covid interrupted season. He didn't get a bag of dross. The guy who he replaced just seemed to lose his mojo and ran out of ideas.

In January when he got his extension I conveyed I thought that was the best bit of business we could have done in the window. How things changed.

You may feel at present he is what you need but you have to consider what he will leave behind. We're sitting 3rd again tonight on 9 points from 12, we should have have been on 10 other than a 90+3 winner against us.

Again I'd direct you to pie and bovril or steelmenonline, look at what people were saying after Sligo and before the league started. It was dire stuff with even the most happy clapper thinking it was playoff at best.

Our players look happy like a weight has been lifted as our new manager is letting them actually play football again and not some sort of moneyball percentages crap.

For example at the AGM he was asked why he never left anyone on the halfway line for corners. His answer was in 175 we had conceded two. However he also overlooked how we never scored on the break but how can you quantify a hypothetical.

Alexander takes good players and makes them average due to his particular ethos, that's the one's he doesn't fall out with or punish. Truely a toxic guy to have at the helm of a football club.

Forewarned is forearmed.

We haven't got any good players for him to turn into average right now!

Seriously though thanks for the heads up on Alexander's time at your club.
Next manager and reasons why... on 16:01 - Aug 21 with 4293 viewsJames1980

So back to RS's recruitment. If the players are really that bad and it is not just a confidence issue coupled with inadequate coaching, how have we ended up with these players?
I know there are budget constraints (even with the increase). So it is unlikely we are getting first dibs on the best players.
Did RS and JS get adequate scouting reports for the players we have signed?
Were the recently dismissed management team not very good at identifying a decent player, or did they have an over inflated opinion into coach a below average player into a half decent one?
How many of their first choice signings did we actually get on the books?
Other than wages, contract length and offers from clubs in a higher division. What have been the reasons for missing out on players RS wanted to sign?

Next manager and reasons why... on 16:27 - Aug 21 with 4215 viewsTVOS1907

Next manager and reasons why... on 16:01 - Aug 21 by James1980

So back to RS's recruitment. If the players are really that bad and it is not just a confidence issue coupled with inadequate coaching, how have we ended up with these players?
I know there are budget constraints (even with the increase). So it is unlikely we are getting first dibs on the best players.
Were the recently dismissed management team not very good at identifying a decent player, or did they have an over inflated opinion into coach a below average player into a half decent one?
Other than wages, contract length and offers from clubs in a higher division. What have been the reasons for missing out on players RS wanted to sign?

I think you need to ask RS and JS those questions, James.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Login to get fewer ads

Next manager and reasons why... on 17:05 - Aug 21 with 4082 viewselectricblue

I would like to guess that Charman, Ball, Campbell maybe first choice targets......

Surely Toumani Diagouraga would not be a first choice target and i dont even think Henderson is either.
[Post edited 21 Aug 2022 17:09]

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Next manager and reasons why... on 17:32 - Aug 21 with 3986 viewsDaleiLama

I think I read that at least 5 were featured in the recruitment plan which was the blueprint for promotion. Having said that, the author has since tweeted 'But, let’s be real we are in a right mess. Our squad is devoid of any real quality'.

So perhaps recruitment is harder than it looks?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Next manager and reasons why... on 18:43 - Aug 21 with 3799 viewsfrequency

That is what i was thinking Dave Artell

Hate city

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:07 - Aug 21 with 3582 viewsJames1980

https://www.bettingodds.com/thesackrace/teams/rochdale
Artell and Alexander 5/4
Beech 4/1
Hill and Thorpe 14/1
Be interesting to know how much money has been put on each of those.

Next manager and reasons why... on 23:09 - Aug 21 with 3279 viewsAtThePeake

Next manager and reasons why... on 01:24 - Aug 21 by WellFan

Thing is the team he inherited finished 3rd in the covid interrupted season. He didn't get a bag of dross. The guy who he replaced just seemed to lose his mojo and ran out of ideas.

In January when he got his extension I conveyed I thought that was the best bit of business we could have done in the window. How things changed.

You may feel at present he is what you need but you have to consider what he will leave behind. We're sitting 3rd again tonight on 9 points from 12, we should have have been on 10 other than a 90+3 winner against us.

Again I'd direct you to pie and bovril or steelmenonline, look at what people were saying after Sligo and before the league started. It was dire stuff with even the most happy clapper thinking it was playoff at best.

Our players look happy like a weight has been lifted as our new manager is letting them actually play football again and not some sort of moneyball percentages crap.

For example at the AGM he was asked why he never left anyone on the halfway line for corners. His answer was in 175 we had conceded two. However he also overlooked how we never scored on the break but how can you quantify a hypothetical.

Alexander takes good players and makes them average due to his particular ethos, that's the one's he doesn't fall out with or punish. Truely a toxic guy to have at the helm of a football club.

Forewarned is forearmed.

FWIW WellFan, If he takes over and leaves behind a team in League Two then he'll have done enough.

I can take divisiveness, cliques, dour football and bad interviews for now. Just keep us in the league. If those aspects start to get tiresome 18/24 months down the line, then we can re-assess, but we have to think about results above everything else right now and his record suggests he can get them.

And if he can have this side concede just twice from 175 corners given our record from them, then frankly I'd give him the keys to the town!

Tangled up in blue.

Next manager and reasons why... on 23:48 - Aug 21 with 3190 viewsBrierls

Next manager and reasons why... on 00:12 - Aug 21 by NorthernDale

I hope they will let McNulty recruit a proper right back and an experience midfield player, even on a 6 month loan deal.

Absolutely not. The new manager will not have much budget to work with as it is, allowing the caretaker manager to sign players (even on loan) is madness.
Next manager and reasons why... on 00:02 - Aug 22 with 3167 viewsFrog

Next manager and reasons why... on 20:07 - Aug 21 by James1980

https://www.bettingodds.com/thesackrace/teams/rochdale
Artell and Alexander 5/4
Beech 4/1
Hill and Thorpe 14/1
Be interesting to know how much money has been put on each of those.

10p each way
Next manager and reasons why... on 00:15 - Aug 22 with 3137 viewsHopwoodblue

Artell for me, simply because he’s been here before not a big time Charley and all we are asking at this stage is to finish 22nd in Div 2
Right now come next May that will be like celebrating promotion!

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Next manager and reasons why... on 00:24 - Aug 22 with 3114 viewsBrierls

I don’t think Big Jim was ever in the running, but we can rule him out after the Swindon game. He had minimal time to make any tactical changes, but you’d have expected him to be able to rally the players so they bust their balls. They didn’t. Post match, he spoke like a player, not a leader with any kind of authority.
Next manager and reasons why... on 08:31 - Aug 22 with 2863 viewsRokerite

I believe Artell would be a much better choice than Alexander. In fact I think Artell would be the best appointment Rochdale could make in the present situation.
Next manager and reasons why... on 09:50 - Aug 22 with 2674 viewsNewbury_Dale

Next manager and reasons why... on 00:24 - Aug 22 by Brierls

I don’t think Big Jim was ever in the running, but we can rule him out after the Swindon game. He had minimal time to make any tactical changes, but you’d have expected him to be able to rally the players so they bust their balls. They didn’t. Post match, he spoke like a player, not a leader with any kind of authority.

Agree with that. Does he have a role going forward ? A new broom sweeping clean and all that...
Next manager and reasons why... on 09:56 - Aug 22 with 2652 viewsSheffield_dale

Anyone know why Lee Thorpe is always mentioned as a potential next manager. Seems a bizarre link.
Next manager and reasons why... on 10:03 - Aug 22 with 2618 viewsAtThePeake

Next manager and reasons why... on 09:56 - Aug 22 by Sheffield_dale

Anyone know why Lee Thorpe is always mentioned as a potential next manager. Seems a bizarre link.

I don't think there's much to it beyond the fact that he's a youth coach at a bigger club (Blackpool) and that he used to play for us.

Tangled up in blue.

Next manager and reasons why... on 10:40 - Aug 22 with 2507 viewssamueloneils

You have to feel sorry for the Board.

This is probably the most important decision they will ever have to make. And the cards in their hand are not good.
They are proper fans as well as managers of the club and have a good grip on the financial situation, which we are only partly aware. They have very laudible long and medium goals, but this is a snap decision in view of the onfield wreck left by RS.

I am sure they will take the best available manager, but they deserve our wholehearted support as well as the players.

We can all get depressed because the club is dear to our heart, but utter negativity won`t help.
Next manager and reasons why... on 11:03 - Aug 22 with 2417 viewsJames1980

Next manager and reasons why... on 09:56 - Aug 22 by Sheffield_dale

I was just listing the top 5 in the betting although Hill and Thorpe have both drifted from 14/1 to 16/1 Beech 4/1 to 8/1 and Alexander 5/4 to 2-1
Artell's odds of getting the job have shortened from 5/4 to 4/6

Next manager and reasons why... on 11:08 - Aug 22 with 2382 viewsgolfaduffy

Next manager and reasons why... on 10:40 - Aug 22 by samueloneils

You have to feel sorry for the Board.

This is probably the most important decision they will ever have to make. And the cards in their hand are not good.
They are proper fans as well as managers of the club and have a good grip on the financial situation, which we are only partly aware. They have very laudible long and medium goals, but this is a snap decision in view of the onfield wreck left by RS.

I am sure they will take the best available manager, but they deserve our wholehearted support as well as the players.

We can all get depressed because the club is dear to our heart, but utter negativity won`t help.

Personally; I don't blame RS for our current position, although he is partly culpable because he signed players poorer than those who left/sold.

This is still the fallout from Bottomley's tenure. We all need to remember that. The new Board have inherited an absolute shambles, and whilst they aren't getting everything 100% correct, they are trying their absolute best.

Agree that it's a huge decision for the new Board. I don't envy them at all.
Next manager and reasons why... on 13:17 - Aug 22 with 2015 viewselectricblue

Is David Artell the manager Dale need!

Crewe have sacked manager David Artell following their relegation from League One.

The Alex were consigned to the drop with four games to spare when they lost to fellow strugglers Doncaster on Saturday

It was the club's eighth successive defeat and 15th in their last 16 league games.

After reading that im not to sure....

The current list of.
Hill.
Thorpe.
Artell.
Beech.
Alexander.

Surely there are better about an available..
[Post edited 22 Aug 2022 13:17]

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024