Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane 08:59 - Oct 1 with 1667 viewsdurham_exile

Well after 100 applications and several interviews this week the Super U’s have pinned their hopes on Matt Bloomfield — a two club man who played for Ipswich and Wycombe Wanderers on 557 appearances, scoring 42 goals. I will leave the detailed stats for Wessex in his ramblings article suffice to say that we welcome Matt to the club and hope that he leads us back to League One after so many years in the doldrums.

Now I watched the 12-minute Col U TV footage yesterday and I thought that Matt Bloomfield (Blooms) spoke well with authority and enthusiasm. He has watched the last three games (and still wants to join us!) plus he was at training yesterday and spoke to the coaches and players.

Matt will be involved in today’s game and is looking for energy and enthusiasm from the players and will be getting them to play towards their strengths.

Comparisons will be made with Parky (young and untried manager who took us to the promised land), but I would prefer to think that Blooms is his own man and will bring his own methods. More importantly, he must NOT be subject to interference from TH and must be given autonomy over team selection and tactics.

This is probably RC’s most important appointment throughout his whole tenure as Chairman of Colchester United. Matt Bloomfield needs support, assistance and freedom to introduce his own methods.

So, MB gets an interesting first game in charge. Wimbledon Away at the Cherry Red Records Stadium Plough Lane. Over 7,000 ticket sold by Wimbledon, such is the interest in our first game against Wimbledon since 1995.

My last visit to see Colchester play Wimbledon was at Plough Lane on 6 November 1979 when we drew 3-3 in front of 2,465.

Today will be an opportunity to see some old friends with Johnny Jackson managing the Dons and Harry Pell amongst the former Colchester players in their line-up.

The league table bottom half makes for depressing reading:
Tranmere 10 13
Walsall 10 9
Wimbledon 10 9
Stockport 10 8
Newport 10 8
Harrogate 10 8
Gillingham 10 7
COL U 10 6
Crawley 10 6
Hartlepool 11 6 (secured a 2-2 draw at Mansfield last night)
Rochdale 10 5

Will the new manager bounce prove decisive and result in a vital win.

Team

Well, that is easy

Hornby

Tchamadeu Chambers Dallison Kazeem

Skuse Chilvers Longstaff Newby

Appiah Lubala

Subs
O’Hara Sears Eastman Chesters Coxe Nouble Marshall-Miranda

I reckon 2-1 to the U’s and great scenes on the terracing from the faithful.

Weather today in South West London will be 18 degrees Celsius and partly sunny.

A new era dawns today, get behind the manager (head coach), the team and cheer them to a bright start to start the climb back to respectability.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 14:04 - Oct 1 with 1544 viewsdurham_exile

Today's team

O'Hara

Hannant Skuse Longstaff Chesters

Sears Appiah

Subs
Hornby Chilvers Lubala Ashley Eastman Akinde Nouble

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 15:02 - Oct 1 with 1525 viewsdurham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 14:04 - Oct 1 by durham_exile

Today's team

O'Hara

Hannant Skuse Longstaff Chesters

Sears Appiah

Subs
Hornby Chilvers Lubala Ashley Eastman Akinde Nouble

Up the U's

Attacking lineup with Longstaff up front in a 4,3,3 formation.
Feel very positive about today
Bring it on

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 15:20 - Oct 1 with 1516 viewsdurham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 15:02 - Oct 1 by durham_exile

Attacking lineup with Longstaff up front in a 4,3,3 formation.
Feel very positive about today
Bring it on

Up the U's

Appiah

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 15:30 - Oct 1 with 1505 viewsdurham_exile

56% possession and a goal to the good.

Great start for the U's

Great start for MB

Great start for the faithful.

Top seven here we come

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 15:49 - Oct 1 with 1482 viewsdurham_exile

HT 1-0 to the U's and that makes for great reading.

Big second half to come.

Second goal needed.
Perhaps from Longstaff

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:06 - Oct 1 with 1461 viewsdurham_exile

Sadly a poor start to the second half but still confident that we can win this game

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:20 - Oct 1 with 1452 viewsdurham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:06 - Oct 1 by durham_exile

Sadly a poor start to the second half but still confident that we can win this game

Up the U's

Chilvers on for Hannant

Positive move

Come on

Durham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:24 - Oct 1 with 1444 viewsdurham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:20 - Oct 1 by durham_exile

Chilvers on for Hannant

Positive move

Come on

2-1 down
Come on the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:27 - Oct 1 with 1438 viewsdurham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:24 - Oct 1 by durham_exile

2-1 down
Come on the U's

Ashley and Lubala on

Durham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:37 - Oct 1 with 1426 viewsdurham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:27 - Oct 1 by durham_exile

Ashley and Lubala on

Come on

Big last 15 mins

Durham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:43 - Oct 1 with 1421 viewsdurham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:37 - Oct 1 by durham_exile

Come on

Big last 15 mins

Big John on for Sears

Final 10 mins

Come on

Durham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:47 - Oct 1 with 1419 viewsdurham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:43 - Oct 1 by durham_exile

Big John on for Sears

Final 10 mins

Come on

Attendance 7,328

Come on

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:56 - Oct 1 with 1415 viewsdurham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:47 - Oct 1 by durham_exile

Attendance 7,328

Come on

Up the U's

Disappointing result for MB's first game in charge

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 17:08 - Oct 1 with 1397 viewsthrillseeker

Disappointing result but we must give MB a chance to work with the players in his own style
Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 17:54 - Oct 1 with 1359 viewsdurham_exile

593 of the faithful.

Pity we couldn't claim a point late on.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 18:10 - Oct 1 with 1341 viewsLeadbelly

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 17:08 - Oct 1 by thrillseeker

Disappointing result but we must give MB a chance to work with the players in his own style

I’m sure the fans will, if they see he is being allowed to do that.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:55 - Oct 2 with 1122 viewswessex_exile

Didn't get back until late thanks to another M4 closure, so belated thoughts on the game.

There was a great sense of belief around, and for the first half the U's were in control, backed by fantastic support. The attacking intent was clear to see, and even though we didn't carve out too many clear-cut chances (apart from Appiah's goal from an inch perfect Chester cross), it was refreshing to see. Unfortunately, we missed their equaliser, still stood in a queue to be served half-time refreshments, from staff who were positively glacial.

If nothing else, the equaliser seemed to quash the new-found confidence, with the U's reverting to a much more defensive, cautious approach (aka the bad old days). It took the penalty (and it was way too far away to even consider whether it was a correct decision - but nobody seemed to be arguing about it that much), to finally sting the U's into action. After that, we were much better, much more like the better moments in the first half.

Unfortunately, there was a bit of crowd disturbance towards the end of the game. I'm not certain what started it, but a bunch of security guards (not stewards) decided to pile into the back of the stand directly behind the goal. After a considerable amount of altercation, including according to one eye-witness, security staff throwing punches at supporters, one lad was frog-marched out of the ground. That still didn't ease the tension, and it took until Essex Constabulary went up the back of the stands and sent the security staff out of there before things really started calming down.

Overall, disappointing that we didn't at least get the point we deserved, and at times a much-improved performance full of positive intent. However, this not only shows how importance confidence is, but just how paper thin ours is at the moment. Plenty for Matt B to work on, but I reckon he'll do good.

Harry Pell was typical shit-housery 'Arry, including a blatant dive for a penalty, and he did also take a shot full-on in the crown jewels at one point, but it was good to see him acknowledged by, and acknowledging the faithful.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2022 16:57]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 17:52 - Oct 2 with 1087 viewsdurham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:55 - Oct 2 by wessex_exile

Didn't get back until late thanks to another M4 closure, so belated thoughts on the game.

There was a great sense of belief around, and for the first half the U's were in control, backed by fantastic support. The attacking intent was clear to see, and even though we didn't carve out too many clear-cut chances (apart from Appiah's goal from an inch perfect Chester cross), it was refreshing to see. Unfortunately, we missed their equaliser, still stood in a queue to be served half-time refreshments, from staff who were positively glacial.

If nothing else, the equaliser seemed to quash the new-found confidence, with the U's reverting to a much more defensive, cautious approach (aka the bad old days). It took the penalty (and it was way too far away to even consider whether it was a correct decision - but nobody seemed to be arguing about it that much), to finally sting the U's into action. After that, we were much better, much more like the better moments in the first half.

Unfortunately, there was a bit of crowd disturbance towards the end of the game. I'm not certain what started it, but a bunch of security guards (not stewards) decided to pile into the back of the stand directly behind the goal. After a considerable amount of altercation, including according to one eye-witness, security staff throwing punches at supporters, one lad was frog-marched out of the ground. That still didn't ease the tension, and it took until Essex Constabulary went up the back of the stands and sent the security staff out of there before things really started calming down.

Overall, disappointing that we didn't at least get the point we deserved, and at times a much-improved performance full of positive intent. However, this not only shows how importance confidence is, but just how paper thin ours is at the moment. Plenty for Matt B to work on, but I reckon he'll do good.

Harry Pell was typical shit-housery 'Arry, including a blatant dive for a penalty, and he did also take a shot full-on in the crown jewels at one point, but it was good to see him acknowledged by, and acknowledging the faithful.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2022 16:57]

Sorry we couldn't start with a win for you and Alfie.

Having seen the highlights twice I still haven't seen the foul that led to the penalty. However I am not an Ashley fan.

On the balance perhaps a Desmond would have been a fair result.

Sorry also to hear about the poor refreshment service and the crowd disturbance.

If Blooms is allowed then I think he will turn things around.

At least this week he will have had more time to work with the players.

One thing is certain we must arrest the run of defeats and start to put points on the board.

Are the Monkey Hangers and Rochdale the two worst teams this year.

Time will tell.
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 21:38 - Oct 2 with 1027 viewsnoah4x4

The “crowd disturbance” occurred quite near me. A large group was chanting “Cowling get out of our club” and one young supporter wrongly stood on his seat with a ‘Cowling Out’ banner. He was requested by a steward to sit. He justifiably got down from his seat, but continued to stand (as we all did as the view from low down wasn’t great). However, he refused to cease waving his banner. Four security guards heavy handedly waded in trying to confiscate this banner, which was now being tossed from one fan to another. The third or four fan to wave it then stood his ground and verbally demanded the right to protest. Any violence was entirely on the security guards part as he was dragged out of the stand.

I might disagree with the fans messaging, but surely there is a right to peaceful protest? Things died down when many senior citizen fans around the incident universally started filming the thuggery and demanded that these security guards withdraw, to allow the wiser, more sensible Essex Police present to take control. It was a ghastly experience even worst than the over exuberant stewarding that we witnessed when our own community stadium was first opened.

A three hour journey to do a mere 80 miles. Over £10 for a pint and sausage roll and another poor U’s performance in the second half added to an overall poor day out. If any of the lads concerned face sanctions or prosecution. I will happily stand witness what really happened. I didn’t film the incident, but many others did. AFC Wimbledon should properly investigate and sack the perpetrators.
Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 22:47 - Oct 2 with 1009 viewswessex_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 21:38 - Oct 2 by noah4x4

The “crowd disturbance” occurred quite near me. A large group was chanting “Cowling get out of our club” and one young supporter wrongly stood on his seat with a ‘Cowling Out’ banner. He was requested by a steward to sit. He justifiably got down from his seat, but continued to stand (as we all did as the view from low down wasn’t great). However, he refused to cease waving his banner. Four security guards heavy handedly waded in trying to confiscate this banner, which was now being tossed from one fan to another. The third or four fan to wave it then stood his ground and verbally demanded the right to protest. Any violence was entirely on the security guards part as he was dragged out of the stand.

I might disagree with the fans messaging, but surely there is a right to peaceful protest? Things died down when many senior citizen fans around the incident universally started filming the thuggery and demanded that these security guards withdraw, to allow the wiser, more sensible Essex Police present to take control. It was a ghastly experience even worst than the over exuberant stewarding that we witnessed when our own community stadium was first opened.

A three hour journey to do a mere 80 miles. Over £10 for a pint and sausage roll and another poor U’s performance in the second half added to an overall poor day out. If any of the lads concerned face sanctions or prosecution. I will happily stand witness what really happened. I didn’t film the incident, but many others did. AFC Wimbledon should properly investigate and sack the perpetrators.

Thanks for that Noah, that accords with what we could see from down at the front - far too heavy-handed crowd management for a situation that didn't exist until they weighed in. The 'manager' (according to the label on the back of his hi-vis) had been the subject of some light-hearted humorous and not particularly complimentary banter in the first half (which as I witnessed even had his own staff laughing in response).

I suspect what followed was a case of 'contempt of authority' for his poor fragile ego. If he's that vulnerable, he really has no place in that environment. I didn't like the anti-Cowling chants, particularly as for most of the first half the support had been 100% pro-Col U, but I would defend to my dying day their inalienable right to make those protests, whether I agree with them or not (I don't).

BTW, good to see you, albeit from a distance, as we finally got there just in time!

Up the U's

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 15:55 - Oct 3 with 926 viewsdurham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 22:47 - Oct 2 by wessex_exile

Thanks for that Noah, that accords with what we could see from down at the front - far too heavy-handed crowd management for a situation that didn't exist until they weighed in. The 'manager' (according to the label on the back of his hi-vis) had been the subject of some light-hearted humorous and not particularly complimentary banter in the first half (which as I witnessed even had his own staff laughing in response).

I suspect what followed was a case of 'contempt of authority' for his poor fragile ego. If he's that vulnerable, he really has no place in that environment. I didn't like the anti-Cowling chants, particularly as for most of the first half the support had been 100% pro-Col U, but I would defend to my dying day their inalienable right to make those protests, whether I agree with them or not (I don't).

BTW, good to see you, albeit from a distance, as we finally got there just in time!

These disturbances are happening more readily now.

Certainly after the Hartlepool game when a minority of the faithful were foolish (Gerry's account of the disturbance was accurate) but frankly these protests are never going to change the ownership of the club.

Humes is going nowhere either.

Time to get behind MB and give him a chance to turn things around.

Sadly I can't get to my next game until the Barrow game in November so it is frustrating at present.

The run of defeats must be halted though and I think they will.

Have now seen the penalty incident and frankly it looked very harsh.

Anyway Pizzagate on Tuesday and onwards and upwards

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 17:50 - Oct 3 with 892 viewswessex_exile

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 15:55 - Oct 3 by durham_exile

These disturbances are happening more readily now.

Certainly after the Hartlepool game when a minority of the faithful were foolish (Gerry's account of the disturbance was accurate) but frankly these protests are never going to change the ownership of the club.

Humes is going nowhere either.

Time to get behind MB and give him a chance to turn things around.

Sadly I can't get to my next game until the Barrow game in November so it is frustrating at present.

The run of defeats must be halted though and I think they will.

Have now seen the penalty incident and frankly it looked very harsh.

Anyway Pizzagate on Tuesday and onwards and upwards

Up the U's

Indeed, who'd have thought we'd be grateful we have a Pizza Slice match to give Matty B another chance to get to grips with the squad.

Just so I'm clear though - although I didn't like the anti-Cowling chants, they were immature and really should have had no place at the first match for the new Head Coach - there would have been no trouble at all if the AFCW security staff hadn't decided to wade into the crowd to impose their own interpretation of an individual's entitlement to freedom of speech.

Up the U's

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 18:57 - Oct 3 with 875 viewsnoah4x4

Support for U’s fans now from Essex Police - see https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/23015741.fa-investigating-afc-wimbledon-colc

It appears from the Facebook comments that this particular security firm at AFC Wimbledon has previous form. Like Wessex, I don’t support the protests, but do support the legitimate right to protest. This isn’t Russia or North Korea. Fans also need to be patient, but the positive was Matt Bloomfield will be in no doubt about the challenges ahead. Hope Humes and Co don’t get in his way.
Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 09:16 - Oct 4 with 813 viewsRSCOSWORTH

The challenge for the penalty is no worse than the challenge on Skuse that led to their equalising goal. Both those decisions could have easily gone our way but I guess that's what happens when you're struggling down near the bottom of the table.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 16:20 - Oct 11 with 646 viewsmfb_cufc

Blooms leads the U's to victory at Plough Lane on 09:16 - Oct 4 by RSCOSWORTH

The challenge for the penalty is no worse than the challenge on Skuse that led to their equalising goal. Both those decisions could have easily gone our way but I guess that's what happens when you're struggling down near the bottom of the table.

Referee said the Wimbledon first goal should have been disallowed for a foul on Skuse.

https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/23037790.colchester-united-boss-matt-bloomfi

mfb

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024