Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Books about Rochdale AFC 13:50 - Dec 16 with 1776 viewsSheffdale

I wonder if we could compile a definitive list of books about the Dale? It may have been done before and I'm confident that someone will already have a list. I've read or consulted a good few of these and I think Derick Allsop's was my first. Below is my starter for ten and I have included Joe Thompson's book although it's not just about the Dale. I thought I would include the list in a Christmas newsletter to Exiles. If anyone is willing to do a review of the recent books (or any really!) then add a comment or PM me. There was one on here by Drigdale late last month done after reading Chris Fitzgerald's 'The Rochdale Division' and s/he was also looking forward to reading Mark Hodkinson's 'The Longest Winter' about the 1973-74 season. Given our current travails, I just hope that book retains that title in perpetuity.

The Survivors - the Story of Rochdale Association Football Club, Steven Phillipps, 1990

The definitive Rochdale AFC, Steven Phillipps 1995

Kicking in the Wind: The real life drama of a small-town football club, Derick Allsop, 1996

Rochdale AFC, The Official History 1907-2001 Steven Phillipps 2001

Life Sentence Mark Hodkinson 2001

Rochdale AFC Who’s Who 1907 to 1939 Steven Phillipps, 2013

Rochdale AFC Who’s Who 1973 to 1999 Steven Phillipps, 2014

Echoes of ’69, The season the Dale went up, Steve Jones, 2003

Believe in the Sign Mark Hodkinson, 2007

Legends of Rochdale AFC, Mike Brookes, 2008

Spotland: The Sun Also Rises, Mark Hodkinson, 2010

The Rochdale Division: the Managers’ Stories (e-book), Chris Fitzgerald, 2015

Rochdale Who's Who 1939 to 1999, Steven Phillipps, 2015

Rochdale Who's Who 1999 to 2016 Steven Phillipps 2016

Darkness and Light, Joe Thompson 2018

The Overcoat Men: How Two Unsung Heroes Staved Off the Bulldozers and Saved Their Football Club from Oblivion, Mark Hodkinson, 2019

More in Hope Than Glory. Chris Dunphy, 2022

The Longest Winter: A Season with England's Worst Ever Football Team, Mark Hodkinson, 2022

The Rochdale Division: Conversations with Star Players, Managers and Cult Heroes of Rochdale AFC Chris Fitzgerald, 2022
Books about Rochdale AFC on 18:27 - Dec 16 with 1627 viewssmaclad1

Forward with the Dale - A History of Rochdale AFC, Brian Clough, 1981

The A-Z of Rochdale FC, Darren Phillips, 2000

In a similar vein to Joe Thompson's book as not just about the Dale you could also add -

Tony Collins - Football Master Spy, Quentin Cope and Sarita Collins, 2016
Books about Rochdale AFC on 21:04 - Dec 16 with 1491 viewsAtThePeake

Books about Rochdale AFC on 18:27 - Dec 16 by smaclad1

Forward with the Dale - A History of Rochdale AFC, Brian Clough, 1981

The A-Z of Rochdale FC, Darren Phillips, 2000

In a similar vein to Joe Thompson's book as not just about the Dale you could also add -

Tony Collins - Football Master Spy, Quentin Cope and Sarita Collins, 2016

Also Grant Holt: A Real Football Life

Think Tony Ford and Neil Redfern also had autobiographies published but not sure how much of a mention Dale get, particularly with the latter as he was only with us for a couple of months.

Tangled up in blue.

Books about Rochdale AFC on 22:40 - Dec 16 with 1427 viewsEllDale

I bought Tony Ford’s book in the club shop and it had a fair bit about Dale and Steve Parkin in it.
Refearn’s was completely different, Dale barely got a mention.
I’m waiting for Keith Hill’s autobiography. Surely some publisher out there sees the potential!?
?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024