Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The U'sual Ramblings #20 14:31 - Jan 14 with 1179 viewswessex_exile

Twenty up for The U’sual Ramblings #20 and we don’t even know yet if we’ll have a game this afternoon at Rochdale or not. The referee deemed the surface unplayable at 9am, and will carry out another inspection at midday, by which time I’d imagine a large proportion of our Essex-based support (including two CUSA coaches) will probably be virtually there. Late calls like this are never good for travelling supporters, but unfortunately they happen sometimes to a sport that is largely played in the autumn and winter seasons. Yes, a postponement will give Matt B even longer to work with his new signings on the training ground, but I’m certain we’d all prefer the momentum currently carrying the U’s along was maintained and the match goes ahead — fingers crossed.

Update: Game On!!

The world outside U’s World
Harrowing news has surfaced today in Iranian state media channels that British-Iranian national Alizera Akbari has been executed in Iran, after being found guilty of spying for Britain. The judiciary’s official news outlet Mizan broke the news of Mr Akbari’s hanging this morning, though it is not known exactly when the sentence was carried out. Earlier this week a video was released by the state apparently showing forced confessions from Mr Akbari, but BBC Persia also broadcasted an audio interview with Mr Akbari who stated he had been tortured “for 3,500 hours” and forced to confess to crimes he did not commit. A barbaric act by a barbaric state, who should have no place in civilised society.

Pertinent to the pending will they won’t they decision at midday, persistent heavy rain during the last week has caused widespread flooding, no more so than in the west and south west. Tewkesbury is yet again an island, as the River Severn burst its banks, which if nothing else goes to show building in flood plains isn’t necessarily a recent phenomenon. On Thursday I had to drive over to Malmesbury with Alfie to meet his Mum, which was challenging to say the least. The journey there was largely uneventful, apart from an exceptionally long but fortunately mostly shallow section of flooding crossing Brinkworth Brook.

However, the trip home was nothing more than a journey into hell. Taking a different route to avoid the Brinkworth Brook flood for a second time, I managed to get through three major floods relatively unscathed, but the Sutton Benger flood as I crossed the Avon very nearly did for me. Not only was the flood wide, but at the very centre the road dips slightly, by which point the water was up into my wheel arches, and not helped by a d*ckhead in a 4x4 who decided to plough through in the opposite direction, sending a bow wave over the bonnet of my car. The engine spluttered and faltered, but mercifully I managed to stop it stalling and made it to the other side. Not that my troubles were over then though — the next flood south of Christian Malford was impassable, and the next road home blocked because of a previous landslip, but eventually, after surfing through a host of surface water floods, I managed to get back home the long way around.

U’s World
The breaking news that we had apparently also signed 29 year old defender Connor Hall from League 1 Port Vale has proven to be true, with the former Port Vale defender, well-loved by the Valiants, signing a two and a half year deal for an undisclosed fee. This is excellent news, and as with the previous trio of Kelleher, Read and Wood, signals not only Matt B’s intent to build his own team with the next couple of seasons in mind, but also Robbie’s willingness to finance that intent.

Connor, who’ll wear no. 29, is a local lad, who started his football career at youth level for Bury Town before spells with Brackley and particularly Harrogate. At Harrogate he was a key member of the team that gained promotion to the Football League via the play-offs in 2020, and a year later returned to Wembley as Harrogate won the delayed FA Trophy Final. Capturing the attention of Port Vale as a result, he moved to Vale Park in January 2022, and again helped guide them to a play-off final victory at Wembley thanks to an excellent second half of the season. Is it too much to ask his Wembley good fortune rubs off on the U’s and he gets a fourth consecutive Wembley appearance?

© Colchester United Football Club

The latest arrival is, I suspect, the one no one saw coming, as the U’s snapped up Exeter City’s Matt Jay, again on a two and a half year deal, and again for an undisclosed fee. My Grecian friend was certainly caught out by this news, though he did add that Matt was struggling to make the starting XI this season mainly because of the form of one Mr J Brown of Letchworth. Signing solid experienced League Two players on decent contracts is one thing, but signing a ‘name’ is a whole different kettle of fish, and I’m delighted that Matt Jay has decided to make the move with his young family from West to East — fantastic news!

Two questions, how does Matt B fit these into a squad that seems to have already turned a corner, and is that us done in the transfer market? For the latter, probably not if the rumour that our interest in Walsall’s Danny Johnson may not be over is true. Crazy times.

Finally, a brief but worthy mention for Dave Huzzey’s U21s, who demolished Saffron Walden 10-0 in the 4th round of the Essex Senior Cup. Dave’s youngsters will now face either Southend United or Braintree Town in the Quarter Final. Our opponents will be decided next Tuesday, when the Blues and Braintree meet at Roots Hall. Well done lads!

Goals here!

Stat attack
We’ve played Rochdale 53 times in all competitions, including of course our FA Cup 4th round 3-3 at Spotland and the 5-0 victory replay at Layer Road to set up potentially our greatest moment ever against Leeds United in the next round. That 5-0 victory remains our best win over Dale, and there was a 4-0 at Layer Road under Cyril Lea in 1983.

On the other hand, Dick Graham’s U’s had previously been beaten 4-0 at Spotland, and there have been a couple of 5-2 defeats, both under Roy McDonough in 1993, the last one humiliatingly at Layer Road. For matches that defensive coaches might want to look away from now, Roy McDonough was also responsible for a 4-4 draw at Layer Road in our first season back in the Football League.

What is of note is we rarely fail to score against Dale, with an average of 1.40 goals per game and just 12 of the 53 matches where we haven’t hit the back of the net. Rochdale average 1.21 goals per game and have drawn a blank on no less than 20 occasions. However, before you head down to the bookies for a nailed on 3-2 victory for the U’s this afternoon, bear in mind that Rochdale did beat the U’s 1-0 at the JobServe earlier this season, albeit that was under former coach Steve Ball.

Match of the Day
Bristol City v Colchester United
8th February 2003
Nationwide Division Two (Tier 3)
Attendance 11,107

Match of the Day for this blog, and the random memorabilia match selector goes back to almost exactly 20 years ago, when the U’s were struggling to avoid relegation from League 1 and facing a tricky visit to promotion hopefuls Bristol City. Under Steve Whitton the U’s had been struggling for the first half of the season, and by the end of January Peter Heard had seen enough and let him go. Geraint Williams, Steve’s assistant, was given the caretaker role whilst Peter Heard considered his options, and he’d started pretty well with a decent 1-1 draw away at Stockport County.

With the kids at their Mum’s, and Em away seeing friends back home, it was an opportunity for a proper awayday, and an easy one at that, given Salisbury and Bristol are on the same train line. The pub near Parson’s Street was, I think, no longer a pub in 2003 (I’d previously been there in 1999 — see WSC#28), so if memory serves I restricted myself to refreshments on the train, a couple in what was then the Reckless Engineer next to Bristol Temple Meads (now known as The Sidings), and then a taxi across to Ashton Gate to join 2-300 noisy U’s supporters.

Geraint Williams U’s lined up that afternoon:

1….Simon Brown
25..Sam Stockley
19..Alan White
5….Scott Fitzgerald
18..Liam Chilvers
3….Joe Keith
10..Kem Izzet
6….Thomas Pinault
20..Micky Stockwell (17. Bobby Bowry 47’)
9….Scott McGleish
11..Dean Morgan (23. Gareth Williams 70’)

Following his call-up, this would be Gareth Williams last appearance before leaving to join the Welsh U20 squad for an international game against Korea at Ninian Park. Capped thirteen times himself at full international level, manager Geraint Williams commented at the time “There is nothing bigger in football than to represent your country. It's a great experience for the lad. It's a great honour for him. He goes with our best wishes, and I hope he thoroughly enjoys the occasion”.

As for Bristol City, in his third season in charge manager Danny Wilson had assembled a very strong looking squad for their promotion challenge. This included the likes of Clayton Fortune, Brian ‘Tin Man’ Tinnion, Mickey Bell and most recently on loan none other than our very own Craig Fagan. They also had Lee Peacock and Liam Rosenior on the bench, so no pressure there then.

However, with the U’s seemingly rejuvenated under the mentorship of Geraint, you were hard pressed to tell who were the side chasing promotion and who was trying to avoid relegation in the opening exchanges. That was emphasised after just 12 minutes, when Scott McGleish put the U’s into the lead, heading home in characteristic style from a perfect Joey Keith free-kick. Both before and after our goal, Bristol City were controlling possession, but the U’s were simply not allowing them to do anything with it. It was a masterclass in organisation, endeavour and teamwork over individual flair and big reputations, and we were loving it. The City supporters weren’t though, that’s for sure.

Going into the second half, and still with our tails up, the vociferous roar of Ashton Gate started to turn against the Robins, with cheers replaced by jeers and the locals definitely not happy. That is until an uncharacteristic slip up by normally dependable Joey Keith allowed loanee Craig Fagan to nip in and level the score for Bristol City. It was Craig’s first goal for the Robins, and it was thoroughly undeserved.

At that point, we could have been forgiven for parking the bus and trying to hold onto the point, but George’s U’s were having none of it, and if anything took the game to our high-flying opponents with even greater purpose. Roared on by the several hundred of us in the away stand, the U’s chased and harried for everything, the home crowd growing increasingly impatient about their own sides impotence against little old Col U.

I confess, as we passed the 80 minute mark, although the U’s had done everything but score, I was begrudgingly starting to accept it might just have to be a point instead of the deserved three. And then something magical happened — breaking from midfield, our French wonder Thomas Pinault stormed into the Bristol half, and from what must have been 25 yards let fly an absolute thunderbolt. Time seemed to stand still as we were mesmerised watching it’s trajectory, until it buried itself in the back of the net and beyond the despairing dive of goalkeeper Steve Phillips.

For a split second there was silence, and then we simply erupted, bodies flying everywhere, the squad virtually in the stand with us celebrating. We’d done it, and there was nothing Bristol City could do about it in the last few minutes. By the final whistle the ground must have been half empty, not that it prevented us celebrating like we’d won the league.

Bristol City 1 (Craig Fagan 51’) Colchester United 2 (Scott McGleish 12’; Thomas Pinault 82’)

That would be Craig’s only goal for the Robins, and he joined the U’s later that year for what would be a very successful loan, eventually converted into a permanent signing in 2004.

Under Geraint Williams the U’s would go on to beat Mansfield at Layer Road and draw 1-1 at Cheltenham to lift us clear of the relegation zone. George had done a fantastic job, and many (myself included) thought enough to deserve a crack at the job full-time. However, Peter Heard felt differently, and appointed Phil Parkinson to take over, with George staying on as his assistant — shows what I know eh?!

The U’s would finish comfortably mid-table in 12th place under Parky and George. Bristol City would finish top of the play-off zone, missing out on automatic promotion to Crewe (behind champions Wigan) by just three points. However, as is often the case, it was lowly Cardiff City in the final play-off slot who would gain promotion, knocking out bitter rivals Bristol City in the process.

Up the U’s!

Blog credits:
https://www.theweek.co.uk/daily-briefing#1
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-64273520
https://check-for-flooding.service.gov.uk/?v=map-live&lyr=mv,ts,tw,ta&ex
https://www.cu-fc.com/news/news-archive/
https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/5458028.soccer-bristol-city-1-2-colchester-u
https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/5458052.soccer-pinault-we-can-climb-up-table
[Post edited 14 Jan 2023 21:50]

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

The U'sual Ramblings #20 on 14:31 - Jan 15 with 1112 viewsbwildered

Wonder if anyone can remember why the Rochdale Cup replay in 1971 was played on a Monday evening ?
After the exciting cup draw being made against Leeds on the Monday lunchtime, a 11k non ticket crowd turned up a few hours later that day. I was lucky to get in, has somebody from school who was near the turnstile called me over and I tagged along with them, so effectively jumped the queue!

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

The U'sual Ramblings #20 on 16:08 - Jan 15 with 1103 viewsmfb_cufc

The U'sual Ramblings #20 on 14:31 - Jan 15 by bwildered

Wonder if anyone can remember why the Rochdale Cup replay in 1971 was played on a Monday evening ?
After the exciting cup draw being made against Leeds on the Monday lunchtime, a 11k non ticket crowd turned up a few hours later that day. I was lucky to get in, has somebody from school who was near the turnstile called me over and I tagged along with them, so effectively jumped the queue!

It was played on a Monday evening simply because we used to play all our midweek home league games on a Monday at that time.

Chelmsford do now for some reason.

mfb

The U'sual Ramblings #20 on 19:39 - Jan 15 with 1067 viewsbwildered

The U'sual Ramblings #20 on 16:08 - Jan 15 by mfb_cufc

It was played on a Monday evening simply because we used to play all our midweek home league games on a Monday at that time.

Chelmsford do now for some reason.

Thanks mfb.

Must have stopped that practice soon after, remember Tuesday nights being the choice when Jim Smith was in charge -1973.

The U'sual Ramblings #20 on 20:11 - Jan 15 with 1061 viewswessex_exile

The U'sual Ramblings #20 on 19:39 - Jan 15 by bwildered

Thanks mfb.

Must have stopped that practice soon after, remember Tuesday nights being the choice when Jim Smith was in charge -1973.

Yep - as far as I can see from our match history, and filtering out Easter Monday and what are probably New Years Day bank holiday matches, the heyday for Monday evening matches was between 1956/57 and 1972/73, comprising well over half of all non-bank holiday Monday league matches (116 out of 193). We do still occasionally play on Monday nights, the most recent was our Game for Ukraine against FGR on 21st March last year.

Up the U's

The U'sual Ramblings #20 on 20:35 - Jan 15 with 1052 viewsRSCOSWORTH

I miss our Friday night games. I still maintain that we'd get better crowds on Friday night than on a Saturday afternoon.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

The U'sual Ramblings #20 on 21:44 - Jan 15 with 1023 viewswessex_exile

The U'sual Ramblings #20 on 20:35 - Jan 15 by RSCOSWORTH

I miss our Friday night games. I still maintain that we'd get better crowds on Friday night than on a Saturday afternoon.

As you've asked, the numbers fluctuate considerably, but the core period for Friday night games was between about 1968 and 1990. There are a few rogue seasons later than 1990 where we played more than our usual games on a Friday night, but I'll leave them to one side.

During those 22 seasons our average home attendance on a Friday night was greater than our average Saturday attendance on 14 occasions, but in three of the remaining 8 seasons we didn't even play on a Friday night (75/76, 80/81 and 83/84), so realistically it's 14 out of 19 seasons.

Obviously there are a large amount of variables involved with that, who else was in our league, their proximity, their likely travelling support, what else might have been going, and of course the elephant in the room, the changing attitude from empathy to antipathy of (for the most part) Ipswich supporters who used to go to Col U games on a Friday and Portman Road on a Saturday.

From a purely personal and subjective view, playing under the lights at Layer Road on a Friday night was a truly special experience, and I would definitely be interested to see whether a similar experiment at the JobServe might increase our attendance. There is of course the changing demographic of football supporters to consider, with more families and particularly kids coming to games - would Friday night fixtures drive them away at all?

Up the U's

The U'sual Ramblings #20 on 09:38 - Jan 16 with 966 viewsbwildered

The reduction in Friday night fixtures was mainly due to the concerns of the football pools companies. The football league put a restriction on the number of games a club could play on a Friday, after pressure from the pools companies not having the regular familiar 92 football league clubs being named during the season, and having to include Conferance clubs to complete the coupon.

The U'sual Ramblings #20 on 09:43 - Jan 16 with 964 viewsnoah4x4

I have always "supported" my local team, depending on my residency and workplace, hence (in this progression), Kidderminster Harriers, Aston Villa, Chelmsford, Kendal, Bristol City, Millwall, lastly Colchester United.

When I first arrived here in 2003, I alternated with Col U and Ipswich as they were "paired" on Saturdays, with always one at home. I confess, in my second season in Essex, I even had a season ticket with both. Why, because my (late) best pal did so and I knew many that then did the same. This practice was broken when the U's tumbled down the leagues, hence our fixtures clashed with Ipswich after we instead got "paired" with Southend. That, our spectacular run of poor seasons, and the loss of shuttle buses to the Jobserve Stadium has had dramatic impact. Frankly, it's easier to get to Portman Road by public transport for those that can't walk too far.

Unlike the 1950's to 1990's, indigenous Colcestrians are now probably in a minority in this town. How many of us arrived here after work relocation to London, or in the Parachute Regiment, or after relocation out of London due to its costs? The U's have to earn the loyalty of newcomers, and that is where we have generally failed, despite 30,000 new residents in the last decade,

I did eventually see the light, got into a new group of pals, started going home and away with the U's and today, nobody would doubt my passion for the U's after 17 seasons of loyalty. But other newcomers that relocated to this Town/City remain loyal to Ipswich or the London Clubs. After all, U's followers have witnessed at least 12 seasons of continuous demise. We need success to boost our gates, not tinkering with routine or fixture dates.

I reckon that a switch to Friday night might indeed attract a few that might alternate the U's with Ipswich (or West Ham). I know loads of loyal U's fans that similarly watch both Saturday and Sunday live professional football. This is facilitated by good transport links, many holding rail STs so travel is often free. So, (IMHO), it is likely that adult gates might possibly rise on a Friday from dual attendances.But would that make them loyal U's supporters or just journeymen? The impact on youth attendance might be dire, whilst many current loyal supporters might be adversely impacted, as commuting back from London is an occupational misery, proven by tardy Tuesday night attendances, not helped by a reduced away following given that League Two is so northern centric. I would struggle because of my Friday commitments. There are too many uncertainties regarding contemporary demographics to justify change.

I can see how exiles on this board might benefit if Friday means regular I-Follow broadcasts, and that club revenues might increase from Ipswich fans doing a Friday flrt with us, but it could mean a horrible impact on many currently loyal supporters and imagine the impact on stadium atmosphere if half were 'neutrals' or praying for the U's to lose, as normally loyal Ipswich fans would. I occasionally still visit Portman Road, but always sit with away fans!

In summary, I feel that whilst Friday fixtures was useful in past decades, the demographics and social landscape has changed. Let's retain Saturday football! Frankly, the best thing to happen might be Ipswich promoted to the Premier League. That might mean they regularly play on a Sunday, leaving their fans with a vacant Saturday to come here! Then we add to numbers, not replace the current loyal fans that for commuting or other reasons might find Fridays more challenging. We should not underestimate the public transport issues on a Friday (or any midweek).
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024