Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eastwood makes our day at Spotland 14:12 - Jan 17 with 991 viewsdurham_exile

It is easy to provide many superlatives in support of the U’s performance on Saturday. It was perhaps the most impressive performance that I have seen from the U’s this season. Not only the result but also the manner of the result.

Colchester played on the front foot from the outset. They fashioned a first goal, which had one of the prima donna strikers in the Premier League scored it would have been replayed endlessly on Sky, but their overall team performance was simply outstanding.
Under MB we take the game to the opposition, everyone moves the ball forward not sideways or backwards and there is a togetherness which I have not seen for many years. The team spirit, commitment and effort is present and it is an absolute joy to watch.

More of this later. Saturday morning at 0900hrs the Referee held a pitch inspection. The result of which was that the pitch was deemed unplayable but he suggested a second inspection at 12noon.

The CUSA coaches had already set off at 0830hrs and clearly were unaware of whether the game would be on or not. I planned to leave home at 1145hrs. As it was I heard whilst on the M6 southbound at 1220hrs courtesy of my son’s telephone call that the match was on. Great news, but what condition would the surface be in.

Upon arrival it was clear that not only had the ground staff worked miracles but the groundsmen must be some of the best in the business — they are Josh Haigh, Drew Duffy and assisted by Kane Greenwood. The pitch was virtually immaculate with evidence of plenty of hard work that had contrived to produce a surface which at the end of the game still did not suggest that only hours before it had been deemed unplayable.

Compare the Rochdale surface with that shown on Television from Moor Lane Salford which frankly resembled the Somme.

I sampled a large meat and potato pie and a tea and whilst in the queue learned that John one of the U’s stalwarts over the many years was to take a break from attending games whilst taking his son’s advice to rest and recuperate. All the very best John.

I took my seat and considered MB’s starting line-up.

O’Hara

Chambers Smith Dallison

Tchamadeu Skuse Ashley Wood

Chilvers

Akinde Tovide

Subs
Hornby Hannant Sears Kelleher Read Jay Hall

The attendance was 2,360 of which there must have about 250 of the faithful who sang throughout.

It was good to see Noah and he together with the U’s supporters were all in good voice.

Evidence of the MB influence is that the U’s start strongly and put the opposition on the back foot.

Jim Bentley buoyed by his sides’ victory mid-week at Valley Parade included their two-goal hero Ian Henderson in the side and they proved to be a harder nut to crack than Harrogate a week earlier. Rochdale were more resilient and in Devante Rodney have a lively forward to support the evergreen Hendo.

Now, there a number of players who need relatively little thought in placing them first on the team sheet every week at present; O’Hara, Tchamadeu, Skuse, Ashley, Chilvers, Tovide and Akinde. Those seven are being supported by the three centre backs and up until Saturday Kazeem. He was replaced by one of the new signings Connor Wood. Wood needs a little time to bed in. At present he lacks some confidence but as his crossing improves, will offer good competition for Kazeem.

Now I must admit that I did not think Big John was capable of putting in back-to-back 90 minutes but he is like a gazelle at present. He is leaner, fitter and as a strong as an ox at present and scares the opposition silly. In fact, he is turning into the player that we bought on a 2.5-year contract with just that role in mind.

We simply must retain Junior Tchamadeu and Samson Tovide. Both are outstanding. Junior although strictly a right back seems more at home on the right wing and is never short of opportunities to get forward.

Never was this more apposite than when his rocket of a shot in the 26th minute following a clever knock down and lay back from Big John, was despatched past the helpless Eastwood. It certainly made my day!

The home team were (as last weekend) shell shocked and it seemed that our dominance would be rewarded with a second goal. However on their first serious attack a set piece on 35 minutes from White which was headed towards Hendo whose shot was well saved by O’Hara but the rebound fell nicely for Rodney and he really couldn’t miss inside the six yard box.

Despite fighting their way back Rochdale lacked the impetus to take the game to the Super U’s who stood resolute as we approached the interval.

No changes at half time but it had definitely become appreciably colder and the occasional showers seemed heavier.

Almost from the outset Eastwood seemed content to waste time with every clearance and unlike last week the referee seemed happy to allow this.

The game became attritional with Colchester making the running and Rochdale prepared to resist. MB made his first two changes on 65 minutes with Ashley making way for Matt Jay and Arthur Read coming on for Chilvers. We did not seem to lose the initiative and in truth fresh legs were necessary.

On 80 minutes Smith made way for Connor Hall and the tireless Tovide gave way for Luke Hannant. I feel slightly sad for Hannant but he knows that this is a squad and MB needs to freshen things up.

There was still time for O’Hara to save well when Rodney was clean through.

I haven’t mentioned my MOTM yet. Cole Skuse was outstanding. I watched him carefully, he wins a challenge with the utmost ease and plays the most delightful 5 yard pass which either breaks up an opposition attack or sets the U’s off on an attack of their own. Rarely does he waste possession.

It was fitting therefore and thoroughly deserved that he should score the winning goal. His first in over 5 years of play. Skuse struck his shot from 25 yards in the 87th minute and it bounced just in front of Eastwood and the keeper incredibly allowed the ball to squirm under him and it rolled into the net. Cue emotional scenes amongst the faithful who had always believed and had hoped for a winner.

The late goal seemed to knock the remaining stuffing from Rochdale and in truth it was thoroughly deserved. Colchester simply wanted the game more than they did.
There was still time for Fiacre Kelleher to replace Wood on 93 minutes. MB continued his like for like changes.

The referee found 7 minutes of added time, some of which was Eastwood’s profligacy with the ball earlier. To no avail though, a third successive victory was secured.

The players and management celebrated with the faithful and the now customary celebration from MB was evident. The faithful had to walk almost as far as me to get back on their coaches. An absolute nonsense although there was some unintelligible tannoy announcement mid-way through the second half.

I celebrated by stopping off at Preston on the way home to enjoy a Pizza Hut meal. For some reason the Deepdale lights were still on, perhaps extra training for PNE who were humbled 4-0 by the Canaries.

So, the bottom of the table looks like this:

Crewe 24 30
Newport 26 26
COL U 26 26
Harrogate 25 24
Crawley 24 22
Rochdale 26 20
Hartlepool 25 19
Gillingham 24 17

Now here is the scenario. 48 points for survival. Check. This looks increasingly likely.

But what about another 44 points from the remaining 20 games for a top seven place. 70 points for the top seven. Ridiculous I hear you say. Durham has lost the plot. Well don’t doubt the ability of MB to achieve it. Mikel Arteta has set his Arsenal players a target of 43 points from their last 20 games.

Still mathematically possible. The most important thing is not to allow complacency to set in.

Gillingham, Salford and Hartlepool are up next. Ask me again after another 9 points.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 21:13 - Jan 17 with 873 viewsburnsieespana

Great report Durham.
I put a bet through bet 365 at 80/1 on Saturday night for a tip 7 finish.
Shows how far I have come in three months after calling for MB to go........yes more than happy to eat humble pie!
Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 21:32 - Jan 17 with 871 viewsdurham_exile

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 21:13 - Jan 17 by burnsieespana

Great report Durham.
Shows how far I have come in three months after calling for MB to go........yes more than happy to eat humble pie!

Brilliant Burnsie

I believe that we can achieve a top seven finish.

And I think the players believe it too.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 22:57 - Jan 17 with 858 viewsgerry_us

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 21:13 - Jan 17 by burnsieespana

Great report Durham.

What odds?
Could be worth a punt.
Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 23:09 - Jan 17 with 856 viewsdurham_exile

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 22:57 - Jan 17 by gerry_us

What odds?
Could be worth a punt.

Gerry far be it for me to promote gambling but the prospect of the top seven finish for the U's is anything from 80/1 to 200/1 depending on which betting org you opt for.

I'm simply stating that our current form suggests that a top seven finish is achievable.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 23:35 - Jan 17 with 851 viewsmfb_cufc

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 23:09 - Jan 17 by durham_exile

Gerry far be it for me to promote gambling but the prospect of the top seven finish for the U's is anything from 80/1 to 200/1 depending on which betting org you opt for.

I'm simply stating that our current form suggests that a top seven finish is achievable.

Up the U's

Best price of 200/1 is with Skybet.

Perhaps a more realistic bet is to buy their points at 53 with Sporting Index.

mfb

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 19:51 - Jan 18 with 732 viewsnoah4x4

I wish those having a punt on a Play Off place good luck, but my preference is that we fall marginally short. That would still deliver an excellent end of season for U’s fans, but without the nightmare of immediately finding ourselves in relegation threat in League One next season.

This squad is far from ready for promotion and half need replacing. Frankly, I am fed up of facing consecutive seasons always fighting in the basement of whatever division.. Let’s have a period of consolidation at this current level. Play good winning football, and grow attendances. Promotion might win a few in the short term, but if soon struggling, any momentum is lost. We are punching above our weight on pitiful gates for a “City “.

On Saturday, I didn’t hear a single moan or winge on the bus home. First time in a decade! It was a delightful journey. Having been a bit of a journeyman (always supporting my local team - wherever) it has always struck me Col U fans moan more than most. Even I was ground down over a decade of despair. It would simply be pleasant to have a couple of stable seasons with a competent manager.
Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 22:39 - Jan 18 with 700 viewsghughes11

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 19:51 - Jan 18 by noah4x4

I wish those having a punt on a Play Off place good luck, but my preference is that we fall marginally short. That would still deliver an excellent end of season for U’s fans, but without the nightmare of immediately finding ourselves in relegation threat in League One next season.

This squad is far from ready for promotion and half need replacing. Frankly, I am fed up of facing consecutive seasons always fighting in the basement of whatever division.. Let’s have a period of consolidation at this current level. Play good winning football, and grow attendances. Promotion might win a few in the short term, but if soon struggling, any momentum is lost. We are punching above our weight on pitiful gates for a “City “.

On Saturday, I didn’t hear a single moan or winge on the bus home. First time in a decade! It was a delightful journey. Having been a bit of a journeyman (always supporting my local team - wherever) it has always struck me Col U fans moan more than most. Even I was ground down over a decade of despair. It would simply be pleasant to have a couple of stable seasons with a competent manager.

Didn't we have this already in the McGreal era? Falling marginally short?!?

All I read then was moan, moan, moan too.

Also, attendances were not much better then either.

Surely now is the perfect time to get promoted with half the squad out of contract and near neighbours and rivals in the division above!

C'mon Col U! When was the last time we were in the same league as Ipswich and Wycombe together! I remember the time with Ipswich and Southend and that ended very well indeed!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 09:27 - Jan 19 with 641 viewsdurham_exile

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 22:39 - Jan 18 by ghughes11

Didn't we have this already in the McGreal era? Falling marginally short?!?

All I read then was moan, moan, moan too.

Also, attendances were not much better then either.

Surely now is the perfect time to get promoted with half the squad out of contract and near neighbours and rivals in the division above!

C'mon Col U! When was the last time we were in the same league as Ipswich and Wycombe together! I remember the time with Ipswich and Southend and that ended very well indeed!

ghughes - this is exactly the spirit that we need now.
You of course are able to watch all the games from NZ and will have seen the vastly improved performances and commitment shown.

What was also evident on Saturday for the first time in aeons was a belief coursing through the faithful's veins
that promotion is achievable this season.

The quality of football currently being played is controlling, impressive and imperious.

Yes there are challenges to come and the team will be tested but the recent victories have been deserved and enthusiastically received

I do not want to make this about betting on the team because I am not a betting man but I have invested some money on a top seven finish at 200/1 for Colchester.

Regardless of this there are 20 cup finals with the possibility of a further three games for the U's.

With five new players recruited and the possibility of a sixth we will be well placed to change half the team at the end of the season.

In fairness to RC he has given a war chest to MB and it is being used to good effect.

Let us take one game at a time and see where we finish up

Interestingly our final league game is at home to Mansfield who are playing fast and loose with Danny Johnson.

More than ever I would love to see the U's savage the Stags on May 6th and confirm their top seven position.

It's going to be exciting.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Login to get fewer ads

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 11:04 - Jan 19 with 629 viewsgerry_us

£1 each way Peter?
Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 11:23 - Jan 19 with 624 viewsdurham_exile

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 11:04 - Jan 19 by gerry_us

£1 each way Peter?

Gerry something like that.

The prospect of a financial return is secondary to seeing our team restored to the security of a guaranteed league place and the opportunity at a promotion push.

We have had 13 managers in 13 years and it is only now that MB has been given the tools to finish the job.

You have witnessed the upturn in form and the club deserves the opportunity to progress.

Realistically whilst ensuring survival is the priority there is no reason why we can't push on to the play offs.

As you know supporting the U's is never dull and over the past 52 years I have experienced every possible emotion whilst supporting the club.

As I said 20 cup finals and the prospect of three additional games.
It's going to be a roller coaster ride.
Enjoy.
Up the U's

Durham_exile

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 11:48 - Jan 19 with 621 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 11:23 - Jan 19 by durham_exile

Gerry something like that.

The prospect of a financial return is secondary to seeing our team restored to the security of a guaranteed league place and the opportunity at a promotion push.

We have had 13 managers in 13 years and it is only now that MB has been given the tools to finish the job.

You have witnessed the upturn in form and the club deserves the opportunity to progress.

Realistically whilst ensuring survival is the priority there is no reason why we can't push on to the play offs.

As you know supporting the U's is never dull and over the past 52 years I have experienced every possible emotion whilst supporting the club.

As I said 20 cup finals and the prospect of three additional games.
It's going to be a roller coaster ride.
Enjoy.
Up the U's

I think it's unfair to suggest that previous managers haven't been backed. There's always been investment in the squad and certain managers were given plenty of money to spend on signings, with varying degrees of success. Cowling has tightened the purse strings to some degree over the years but I think every manager has been able to add to their squad. For me, I think Cowling has realised that we really cannot get relegated and thus has backed the current manager, probably more than he would've done normally, to try to ensure that doesn't happen. And let's not forget that three of our recent signings were deemed not good enough to get regular game time for Leyton Orient, Stevenage and Bradford!

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 16:04 - Jan 19 with 591 viewsburnsieespana

I have a feeling the only one of the three you mention wasn't deemed good enough whereas with the other two not fitting into the system currently being played
Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 17:38 - Jan 19 with 565 viewsnoah4x4

Last 13 years, 13 managers.
Tony Humes manager season 2014-15
Tony Humes, Director of Football then, until present.
Means 9 seasons under Humes….
Hence, 9 seasons of playing the Humes one up front system.
Bloomfield the first to say “no” to it.
12 points from 15.
Cowling finally wakes up……….
Humes Out!
Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 22:59 - Jan 19 with 505 viewsdurham_exile

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 17:38 - Jan 19 by noah4x4

12 points from 15.
Humes Out!

It would seem that Humes has been marginalised, ostracised or similar.

Result MB is able to select his own team and what a transformation.

Long may it continue.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 11:01 - Jan 20 with 462 viewsRSCOSWORTH

12 points from 15.
Humes Out!

This is one train of thought I've never bought into. Do you really believe that multiple managers are going to allow themselves to be dictated to by the Director of Football in terms of team, formation, tactics etc? Seems pretty unlikely to me. We played attractive, attacking football under Humes, the main problem was we couldn't defend. We scored an average of 1.37 goals per game in the league under Humes, which is the highest out of all the recent managers. McGreal was 1.35, Bloomfield is 1.19, Brown and Ball were both 1.03 and Mullins at pitiful 0.79. I think the one up front thing comes more from the fact that we've mainly employed young, inexperienced coaches/managers that have been taught that the best way to play is to play out from the back, with wing backs covering midfielders and one central striker. This is great if you're Liverpool or Man City but not so great in the lower leagues where the players aren't so talented or physically gifted and the playing surfaces not always conducive to playing a passing game. Some of the older managers prefer to play with two strikers, as that's what they know and are used to coaching. The majority of teams in the top four divisions, and probably the next few beneath, line up with a single striker at the weekend. That's modern football, for me it doesn't necessarily work and is very dependent on your squad and I think Bloomfield has realised that we don't have the right players to play with one up front and has decided on a formation that is more suited to the players he has available. I do get the whole idea about having one way of playing at a club, makes sense if youth development is important and you expect those players to break into the first team at some point. They don't have to learn a new system or way of playing at 17, 18 and can just concentrate on their performance. Again it's a lovely idea that works wonderfully at say Ajax but is it going to get you out of League Two? Unlikely I would say. Also, whilst it nice to be winning games and feeling positive about the team again, let’s just remember that three out of those four wins have come against some of the worst teams in the division. We won five of our last eight at the back end of last season and no one was saying then that Brown had cracked the code. It’s great to be in a better place but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We also had 26 points from 26 games last season and 32 points from 26 games the season before so we’re far from being out of the woods yet.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Eastwood makes our day at Spotland on 20:11 - Jan 22 with 357 viewsghughes11

12 points from 15.
Humes Out!

Looks like Humes was back on Sat vs Gillingham, after an extended Christmas/New Year break!

Back to one up front at home and a 0-2 defeat!

Hopefully Humes can pick a side to beat money bags Salford Tuesday night. Maybe Bloomfield will be "allowed" to play 2 up front on Tuesday nights only

Ok, that's enough of the conspiracy theories!

C'mon Col U!

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024