Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
T' 2023 tests 14:19 - Feb 15 with 25362 viewsD_Alien

Amid the impending doom back home, the rejuvenated England squad will start their first test of this calendar year at 1am (our time, obvs.)

NZ have their injury and selection problems, whilst we seem to have a wealth of players chafing at the leash to show how positive and talented they are. All this, under a captain who may just go down as our GOAT. Typically, he's more interested in bringing out the best in others:

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/ben-stokes-message-as-england-captain-show-th

With so much potentially great cricket ahead of us this year, thought i'd make it a thread for the entirety rather than different series. Bring it on!

[Post edited 15 Feb 2023 14:45]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

T' 2023 tests on 17:27 - Jul 11 with 2174 viewsD_Alien

One for the future:

James Rew, 19yo wicketkeeper for Somerset has just made 221 against Hampshire

He's already made his debut for the Lions

T' 2023 tests on 20:55 - Jul 11 with 2086 viewsDorsetDale

T' 2023 tests on 17:27 - Jul 11 by D_Alien

One for the future:

He and George Bell both played for under 19's, neither kept wicket!

Can't remember name of the lad that did.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

T' 2023 tests on 21:27 - Jul 11 with 2072 viewspioneer

T' 2023 tests on 20:55 - Jul 11 by DorsetDale

He and George Bell both played for under 19's, neither kept wicket!

Can't remember name of the lad that did.

In last years U19 series v Sri Lanka, Rew was keeper in one of the two tests, Glamorgan’s Horton kept wicket in the other.

In the U19 world cup in the Windies Horton kept wicket. Rew was top scorer with 95 in a losing cause in the final with India.

He played 7 games for Somerset last season scoring scoring 337 runs, including a century in 10 completed innings while still at school.
T' 2023 tests on 21:31 - Jul 11 with 2062 viewsisitme

He has kept for Somerset in Championship cricket all season and has scored a decent volume of runs. Played against India last summer for a Counties XI before his Somerset red ball senior debut.
T' 2023 tests on 21:49 - Jul 11 with 2042 viewsDorsetDale

T' 2023 tests on 21:27 - Jul 11 by pioneer

In last years U19 series v Sri Lanka, Rew was keeper in one of the two tests, Glamorgan’s Horton kept wicket in the other.

In the U19 world cup in the Windies Horton kept wicket. Rew was top scorer with 95 in a losing cause in the final with India.

He played 7 games for Somerset last season scoring scoring 337 runs, including a century in 10 completed innings while still at school.

Thanks for the clarification. Hadn't looked deeply into the details.
Just remember Lancs tv talking about them, presumably when they were playing Somerset.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

T' 2023 tests on 22:21 - Jul 11 with 2026 viewspioneer

T' 2023 tests on 17:27 - Jul 11 by D_Alien

One for the future:

Not a one off either….his fourth century of the season (most in the country) and averaging 60.
T' 2023 tests on 23:04 - Jul 12 with 1887 viewspioneer

What a performance from the womens team and ‘our own’ Kate Cross.

All to play for with two ODIs to go.

What a summer of cricket.
T' 2023 tests on 20:03 - Jul 14 with 1750 viewsNigeriamark

T' 2023 tests on 23:04 - Jul 12 by pioneer

What a performance from the womens team and ‘our own’ Kate Cross.

All to play for with two ODIs to go.

What a summer of cricket.

I must admit that although I don’t like watching women’s football, I really enjoy the women’s cricket. It’s really improved & although there are less sixes, you really see some classic shots being played. Some really good games too. Fielding and catching probably have quite some way to go but the overall quality has come on leaps and bounds.
Login to get fewer ads

T' 2023 tests on 21:35 - Jul 18 with 1614 viewspioneer

T' 2023 tests on 20:03 - Jul 14 by Nigeriamark

I must admit that although I don’t like watching women’s football, I really enjoy the women’s cricket. It’s really improved & although there are less sixes, you really see some classic shots being played. Some really good games too. Fielding and catching probably have quite some way to go but the overall quality has come on leaps and bounds.

Another great performance by the Womens team and three wickets for Cross to draw the series.

Lets hope for the same tomorrow at OT from the men.
T' 2023 tests on 22:13 - Jul 18 with 1584 viewsD_Alien

T' 2023 tests on 21:35 - Jul 18 by pioneer

Another great performance by the Womens team and three wickets for Cross to draw the series.

In the end, the Women's Ashes came down to one fateful last over in the penultimate game

So close... and it's possible the men could go down to the same fine margin

T' 2023 tests on 00:24 - Jul 19 with 1561 viewsDorkingDale

T' 2023 tests on 21:35 - Jul 18 by pioneer

Well done Our Kate!
T' 2023 tests on 19:21 - Jul 19 with 1492 viewsD_Alien

Another top day's cricket and i reckon we're round about where Stokes would've wanted to be after putting the Aussies in. Just as an aside, no team has ever won a test at OT after inserting the opposition... but records have tumbled under Stokes

Sadly, Jimmy Anderson looks to be coming to the end of the road. I hope he's able to make an impact and bow out in a winning side but can't see how he'll extend his test career from here
[Post edited 19 Jul 2023 19:24]

T' 2023 tests on 20:52 - Jul 19 with 1417 viewsisitme

He actually bowled better than Broad today, who bar his wicket was uncharacteristically a bit erratic in his first two spells. I do agree that his England career is pretty much over and would not be surprised if he announced his international retirement at the end of this game. Woakes was the pick of the bowlers and his delivery to get Marsh was a jaffa. The pitch looks good to bat on so hopefully we can get some runs on the board.
T' 2023 tests on 21:27 - Jul 19 with 1367 viewsdingdangblue

T' 2023 tests on 20:52 - Jul 19 by isitme

He actually bowled better than Broad today, who bar his wicket was uncharacteristically a bit erratic in his first two spells. I do agree that his England career is pretty much over and would not be surprised if he announced his international retirement at the end of this game. Woakes was the pick of the bowlers and his delivery to get Marsh was a jaffa. The pitch looks good to bat on so hopefully we can get some runs on the board.

From the ridiculous to the sublime with Bairstow's catch too!

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

T' 2023 tests on 15:43 - Jul 20 with 1256 viewsD_Alien

T' 2023 tests on 21:27 - Jul 19 by dingdangblue

From the ridiculous to the sublime with Bairstow's catch too!

178-1 in the session... ridiculous!

T' 2023 tests on 15:45 - Jul 20 with 1247 viewsisitme

T' 2023 tests on 15:43 - Jul 20 by D_Alien

178-1 in the session... ridiculous!

I picked the wrong day to go!
T' 2023 tests on 17:07 - Jul 20 with 1195 viewsDaleiLama

T' 2023 tests on 15:45 - Jul 20 by isitme

I picked the wrong day to go!

Hope you're not sat within 10 rows of the rope!!!

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

T' 2023 tests on 17:33 - Jul 20 with 1171 viewsisitme

T' 2023 tests on 17:07 - Jul 20 by DaleiLama

Hope you're not sat within 10 rows of the rope!!!

I was yesterday, but got to see Broad's 600th wicket so it was not all bad. Today would have been better.
T' 2023 tests on 18:00 - Jul 20 with 1152 viewsDaleiLama

T' 2023 tests on 17:33 - Jul 20 by isitme

I was yesterday, but got to see Broad's 600th wicket so it was not all bad. Today would have been better.

Ah - thought you were there today and your comment was tongue in cheek! Still time for more fireworks today too. Hopefully no damp squibs.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

T' 2023 tests on 17:44 - Jul 23 with 971 viewsD_Alien

So now we've had confirmation of the abandonment (which was never really in doubt all day), it's time for the cricketing authorities to start asking some serious questions about the playing format for Test cricket

There's no doubt that England's style of play over the past 12 months or so has started to attract new fans, but many of those - perhaps unfamiliar with the arcane rules and regulations - must be bewildered how the result of the most anticipated Ashes series for a generation can end this way (yeah, i know we can draw level but that's hardly the point)

Some ideas that i've seen put forward are:

- rethink the archaic lunch/tea intervals
- rethink the finishing time when play has been lost
- if play can't continue for bad light, switch to a pink ball with the lights on
- stop fining teams for slow over rates, just make them play for longer
- keep a day in reserve for all test matches (the weather tomorrow looks great)

There will be plenty of other ideas, but the major obstacle is the televised schedules which hinder changes to the format, and that's where most of the finance comes from

Right now, i can't see myself taking as much notice of the final test, but that'll probably change once it starts. We can't change the weather but surely there are things that can change to keep the game ongoing whenever possible - the future of the format depends on it

[Post edited 26 Jul 2023 17:36]

T' 2023 tests on 18:16 - Jul 23 with 928 viewsforeverhopefulDale

T' 2023 tests on 17:44 - Jul 23 by D_Alien

So now we've had confirmation of the abandonment (which was never really in doubt all day), it's time for the cricketing authorities to start asking some serious questions about the playing format for Test cricket

There's no doubt that England's style of play over the past 12 months or so has started to attract new fans, but many of those - perhaps unfamiliar with the arcane rules and regulations - must be bewildered how the result of the most anticipated Ashes series for a generation can end this way (yeah, i know we can draw level but that's hardly the point)

- if play can't continue for bad light, switch to a pink ball with the lights on

There will be plenty of other ideas, but the major obstacle is the televised schedules which hinder changes to the format, and that's where most of the finance comes from

Right now, i can't see myself taking as much notice of the final test, but that'll probably change once it starts. We can't change the weather but surely there are things that can change to keep the game ongoing whenever possible - the future of the format depends on it

Re over rates, how about deductions of runs, or extras to the other side. Your other ideas are really worth considering , as is your idea on overs. Consideration would obviously have to be given if there is a shortage of overs due to the batting team scoring loads of runs etc. Maybe teams bowling more than 15 overs an hour should get extra runs awarded. Very few tests go the full five days nowadays, unless interrupted by bad weather, so the authorities might say there's no need for extra days. Would the change to a pink ball not affect the way the ball behaves? Does that benefit the bowling team or the batting team, can you get pink balls that have been used for long amounts of overs ?

I do believe our failure to win this series will be down to as much as our failure in the first two tests , poor batting performance overall, as failure to win this test match.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

T' 2023 tests on 18:22 - Jul 23 with 902 viewsD_Alien

T' 2023 tests on 18:16 - Jul 23 by foreverhopefulDale

Re over rates, how about deductions of runs, or extras to the other side. Your other ideas are really worth considering , as is your idea on overs. Consideration would obviously have to be given if there is a shortage of overs due to the batting team scoring loads of runs etc. Maybe teams bowling more than 15 overs an hour should get extra runs awarded. Very few tests go the full five days nowadays, unless interrupted by bad weather, so the authorities might say there's no need for extra days. Would the change to a pink ball not affect the way the ball behaves? Does that benefit the bowling team or the batting team, can you get pink balls that have been used for long amounts of overs ?

I do believe our failure to win this series will be down to as much as our failure in the first two tests , poor batting performance overall, as failure to win this test match.

You're spot on about the result of the first two tests; the more considered approach can be seen in the latest two so let's hope that's a lesson learned

Just to add... those ideas aren't mine, just seen them put forward in various online commentaries

But i'd be reluctant to go down the "awarding runs" penalty route; the basics of the game would be better being retained
[Post edited 23 Jul 2023 18:24]

T' 2023 tests on 18:37 - Jul 23 with 884 viewsforeverhopefulDale

T' 2023 tests on 18:22 - Jul 23 by D_Alien

You're spot on about the result of the first two tests; the more considered approach can be seen in the latest two so let's hope that's a lesson learned

Just to add... those ideas aren't mine, just seen them put forward in various online commentaries

But i'd be reluctant to go down the "awarding runs" penalty route; the basics of the game would be better being retained
[Post edited 23 Jul 2023 18:24]

Yes we combined new style Bazball with more traditional test cricket, and I for one enjoyed it. I like faster scoring rates, but I don't like throwing the bat without some form of calculation. We still scored at a brilliant rate, but with a foundation of a good score.

Really enjoyed watching the Durham Express, Mark Wood, lovely to see express accurate, controlled bowling.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

T' 2023 tests on 20:26 - Jul 23 with 832 viewspioneer

T' 2023 tests on 17:44 - Jul 23 by D_Alien

The authorities think they have already solved it……no tests oop north on the next Ashes tour.

When you think of all the great Ashes moments in this county many of them were at either OT or Headingley..

In terms of weather the number of times weather has led to complete washouts seems to have fallen ( my be my memory deceiving me) and in particular day 5 washouts are difficult to recall. Also the number of draws in Test matches have fallen dramatically compared to 25-30 years ago.

Over rates would increase if they stopped having folks running on and off the field all the time. Other sports such as tennis and baseball have introduced time clocks. Maybe that should be tried. A fixed time between the ball being called dead and the bowler starting the next delivery, a fixed time between overs etc. If its not met a no ball is called or a free hit awarded.

the batsman would need to take his stance within the same timeframe.
T' 2023 tests on 20:42 - Jul 23 with 821 viewsTVOS1907

T' 2023 tests on 20:26 - Jul 23 by pioneer

The authorities think they have already solved it……no tests oop north on the next Ashes tour.

When you think of all the great Ashes moments in this county many of them were at either OT or Headingley..

In terms of weather the number of times weather has led to complete washouts seems to have fallen ( my be my memory deceiving me) and in particular day 5 washouts are difficult to recall. Also the number of draws in Test matches have fallen dramatically compared to 25-30 years ago.

Over rates would increase if they stopped having folks running on and off the field all the time. Other sports such as tennis and baseball have introduced time clocks. Maybe that should be tried. A fixed time between the ball being called dead and the bowler starting the next delivery, a fixed time between overs etc. If its not met a no ball is called or a free hit awarded.

the batsman would need to take his stance within the same timeframe.

There would be no need for any of that if it was just made clear that every over would be bowled in a day, natural stoppages permitting, regardless of when they finished.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024