Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade 22:59 - Mar 3 with 2057 viewsdurham_exile

Another eventful week in the life of Colchester United. Embleton, Huzzey and Ward will take charge at Valley Parade with new boss Ben Garner (BG) watching on from the stand. BG will take over for the Stockport game at home next Saturday.

NB: BG takes over an excellent squad of players which has been strengthened by the January transfer activity.

I’ve already made my feelings clear, I’m still disappointed at the way we lost MB and the jury is still out on BG. But we are where we are and there is no point in prolonging the agony. Onward and upwards.

Now the games are still coming thick and fast. Mark Hughes promotion chasing Bantams provide the opposition tomorrow. They want to break their League Two attendance record of 19,368 and could well manage it with the Super U’s faithful enjoying a seat for a fiver to match the Bantams home faithful also at £5 a ticket.

Hughes has Andy Cook, still pound for pound one of the best strikers at this level.
Fiacre Kelleher is back at his old stomping ground and I am sure will be looking to turn in another good performance.

Now over the years I’ve watched some entertaining games against the Bantams.

Perhaps the most famous was the game at Layer Road in 1977 in front of 8,912 when the U’s won 2-1 to ensure promotion with the Bantams from the old Division Four.

In 2004 at Valley Parade, we drew 2-2 in front of 7,851 and in 2013 again at Valley Parade I witnessed another desmond in front of 13,570. In 2016 we won 2-1 this time in front of 16,786 at Valley Parade and last season in December 21 we played out a 0-0 draw in front of 14,658 (midweek game).

So, we really don’t need to fear them, perhaps respect but certainly not fear.

Plus, we need the points.

Injuries continue to mount up.
Skuse, Dallison, Judge, Hornby all out. Appiah and Chambers both doubtful.

Great news is that Junior is back, we have missed him badly.

So, who will EHW select tomorrow.

O’Hara

Kelleher Smith Hall

Tchamadeu Chilvers Ashley Wood

Jay

Tovide Hopper

Subs
Smith Read Newby Akinde Fevrier Appiah Chambers

Weather in Bradford will be dry, 6 degrees Celsius and cloudy.

So, a huge crowd (which often can work against the home side). Sparky patrolling the touchline and the U’s with BG in the stands watching on.

Safe journey to the travelling faithful.

I am hoping to arrive early because parking is always a pain.

Scoreline 2-1 to the Super U’s

Enjoy the game.

Let us give EHW plenty of support and a warm welcome to BG.

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 09:16 - Mar 4 with 1970 viewsnoah4x4

Two full CUSA coaches just departed, with all in good spirits.

Bradford is one of my favourite days out. The buses park at the bottom of a steep hill with a wide path rising up the the stadium. Nobody can resist humming the Hovis theme as we trudge upwards. A respectful visit to the stadium fire memorial usually results in one of our brethren flirting with a friendly female steward and we blagging our way into their excellent (normally home only) fans bar.

The club shop also offers memories. The range of items is remarkable. We even found a Bradford City branded tape measure suitable only for tailors catering for persons of somewhat short stature. Who specifies these odd novelties? Who buys them? Said item did result in some teasing of one of our group always reputed to be an undertaker due to his coal black suit (but he wasn’t).

Upper tier, merely 300 Essex Spartans out-singing 19,000 northern barbarians. Sadly no Eva Green to reveal her mammaries as we snatch victory and sail away on the tide of Yorkshire tears. . I can dream…..
Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 14:11 - Mar 4 with 1888 viewsmfb_cufc

U's side to face Bradford (two changes): O'Hara, Greenidge, Kelleher, Hall, Tchamadeu, Wood, Ashley, Read, Chilvers, Jay, Hopper

U's subs are Terry, Miranda, Fevrier, Newby, Akinde, Tovide, Smith

mfb

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 14:55 - Mar 4 with 1866 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 14:11 - Mar 4 by mfb_cufc

U's side to face Bradford (two changes): O'Hara, Greenidge, Kelleher, Hall, Tchamadeu, Wood, Ashley, Read, Chilvers, Jay, Hopper

U's subs are Terry, Miranda, Fevrier, Newby, Akinde, Tovide, Smith

Lone striker today!!¡!!!!

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 15:50 - Mar 4 with 1841 viewswessex_exile

Fantastic first half from the U's, should be in the lead. Greenidge is having a good game too.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 16:55 - Mar 4 with 1808 viewsthrillseeker

Missed chances cost us again

Is O'Hara told not to come off his line?

2-0
Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 16:59 - Mar 4 with 1805 viewswessex_exile

Crap - talk about being robbed! Neutrals will look at the score-line and think "fair enough", but that was so undeserved in a game that should have been at least a point for the U's, and arguably three. However, plenty of encouraging signs of things to come, and at present we're still 9pts clear of the relegation zone.

Up the U's

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 17:14 - Mar 4 with 1779 viewsnoah4x4

Daylight robbery. Same referee had a shocker at Wimbledon. Was never a corner that they scored from. It was clearly a miss hit shot. He gave us nothing all game. Probably the best football we have played all season.
Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 17:56 - Mar 4 with 1721 viewsWitham

Played the best I have seen for ages. Didn't deserve to lose and I feel gutted for the team who yet again played 12 men. We showed we will be a force to contend with next season.
Login to get fewer ads

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 18:24 - Mar 4 with 1695 viewsgerry_us

Please, not another referee blamed for our defeat. That is such an easy out for the team's shortcomings. Who would be a referee? Me actually.
Was impressed that we left it very late before we made changes. What if we had stuck with the original eleven until the end? Players coming on with five minutes to play have no chance of getting into the game, especially defenders, hence two late goals.
However, an encouraging performance but we MUST start performing at our home ground.
Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 18:49 - Mar 4 with 1662 viewsdurham_exile

Still fuming absolutely robbed today.

Typical Sparky team roughing up the opposition.

It was never a corner in the 93rd minute and then of course we were chasing the game which led to the second in the 96th minute.

Spoke to a Bradford fan who went to the game at the JCS and wa still choked that Tom Eastman scored a last minute winner.

Great football today and we kept the crowd quiet but it was a mistake to play the lone striker again.

Anyway we will still be ok but today was hard to take.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 07:06 - Mar 5 with 1401 viewsnoah4x4

Just watched extended highlights. To be fair, the commentator does spontaneously say "took a deflection". The linesman didn't think so, nor did 400 U's fans. We will never know for certain.

Just as we didn't deserve a 97th minute winner at home, Bradford didn't deserve the same at Valley Parade. But given they are automatic promotion contenders, and over the two results, 3 points each is probably fair.

I'm going to make a bold prediction looking at the remaining fixtures. One team will stay up on a record low number of points. In that context, yesterday's other scores went in our favour. Other than seemingly doomed Rochdale, no team below us gained more than +1 point. Next Saturday could be a huge milestone. But as Rochdale showed against Stevenage, nothing is impossible in this highly competitive division. A new manager bounce couldn't come at a better time.
Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 12:54 - Mar 6 with 1095 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Imagine if you're one of those people that leaves before the final whistle and went to both Bradford matches this season.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 15:36 - Mar 6 with 1067 viewsnoah4x4

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 12:54 - Mar 6 by RSCOSWORTH

Imagine if you're one of those people that leaves before the final whistle and went to both Bradford matches this season.

On 85 minutes home fans were flooding out of Valley Parade. On 90 minutes, over half were ready to boo the Bantams off the pitch. Five more minutes and the mood swing was unreal. But U’s fans showed how to be proper supporters. Despite the disappointment, it was arguably our best performance of the season. Truly unlucky not to score. We stood in salute and the reception from the players showed appreciation. It may be a positive turning point given Garners advent.
Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 16:01 - Mar 6 with 1053 viewsgerry_us

Anyone have an idea, or views, of the sense of bringing on Akinde in the 89th minute
Only reason that I can think of is that he is so bloody slow in everything he does the substitution could waste another couple of minutes. Unfortunately didn't work.
Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 16:04 - Mar 6 with 1052 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 16:01 - Mar 6 by gerry_us

Anyone have an idea, or views, of the sense of bringing on Akinde in the 89th minute
Only reason that I can think of is that he is so bloody slow in everything he does the substitution could waste another couple of minutes. Unfortunately didn't work.

He's actually pretty decent defensively so handy for set pieces. Ironic that we then conceded from one a few minutes later.

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 17:54 - Mar 6 with 1034 viewswessex_exile

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 16:04 - Mar 6 by RSCOSWORTH

He's actually pretty decent defensively so handy for set pieces. Ironic that we then conceded from one a few minutes later.

He's also pretty good at hold up play, doesn't get bullied off the ball too easily.

Up the U's

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 21:27 - Mar 6 with 991 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 16:01 - Mar 6 by gerry_us

My gripe was that all the substitutions were made too late to effect play.

Hopper who covered every blade of grass was subbed by Tovide on 83 mins.

Matt Jay who was shattered was replaced by Night John on 89 mins

And of course after Cook a ored on 93 mins Embleton made a double change Newby for Read and Fevrier for Chilvers.

If Samson had been brought on with 20 mins to go his pace would have frightened the Bantam defence.

Hope BG took all this and more in from the stands.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 15:03 - Mar 7 with 905 viewsRSCOSWORTH

There was a comment on the BBC site, not from the BBC, about Saturday being the highest attendance ever for a Col U league match. Maybe at League Two level perhaps but we definitely played in front of bigger crowds in the Championship at say Birmingham, Norwich and Sunderland. Does anyone know what the biggest gate is for a Col U league game? I'm wondering if it's from before I was born.

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 15:10 - Mar 7 with 902 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 15:03 - Mar 7 by RSCOSWORTH

There was a comment on the BBC site, not from the BBC, about Saturday being the highest attendance ever for a Col U league match. Maybe at League Two level perhaps but we definitely played in front of bigger crowds in the Championship at say Birmingham, Norwich and Sunderland. Does anyone know what the biggest gate is for a Col U league game? I'm wondering if it's from before I was born.

Just answered my own question using the excellent www.coludata.co.uk

It was Coventry away in the English Third Division on the 25th April 1964. Attendance was a massive 36,901. Next highest was 28,355 on 20th January 2007 against some team from Suffolk. Eight of the top 11 were from between 2006 and 2009 and including a certain 7-1 victory over some team in yellow!

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 15:57 - Mar 7 with 895 viewswessex_exile

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 15:03 - Mar 7 by RSCOSWORTH

I think the iFollow commentary at one point said it was a record League 2/ 4th tier attendance, which it definitely wasn't, but think it might have been Bradford City's record League 2/ 4th tier attendance. Although it was in the 3rd division, I remember when the two Sheffields were in the same division back in the 70s (I think) and they had a crowd of nearly 50k at Hillsborough.

Up the U's

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 18:14 - Mar 7 with 875 viewsdurham_exile

Bantams to suffer a bout of avian flu at Valley Parade on 15:57 - Mar 7 by wessex_exile

I think the iFollow commentary at one point said it was a record League 2/ 4th tier attendance, which it definitely wasn't, but think it might have been Bradford City's record League 2/ 4th tier attendance. Although it was in the 3rd division, I remember when the two Sheffields were in the same division back in the 70s (I think) and they had a crowd of nearly 50k at Hillsborough.

Wessex it was the highest Bradford City home attendance in League Two.

They were only there for the Col U.

Our 345 were absolutely brilliant and sang throughout.

Bradford supporters only came to life in the 93rd minute.

We deserved to win the game. We must be more clinical in front of goal. Hopefully BG will address this failing.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024