Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED 22:15 - Apr 15 with 11027 viewsNotLoyal

It’s the last time on a Wednesday, at this time, and on this date that the Swans will ever play again. It’s really upsetting, but not really. This is the ‘Mel’s Chippy’ come and have some matchday dead.

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/swanseacity/news/60078/team-news-oliver-n

Swansea City: Andy Fisher; Harry Darling, Nathan Wood, Ben Cabango; Joel Latibeaudiere, Joe Allen, Matt Grimes (captain), Ryan Manning; Ollie Cooper; Liam Cullen, Joel Piroe.

Substitutes: Andreas Søndergaard, Jay Fulton, Olivier Ntcham, Jamie Paterson, Luke Cundle, Morgan Whittaker, Liam Walsh.

Preston North End: Freddie Woodman, Alvaro Fernandez, Ben Whiteman, Liam Lindsay, Liam Delap, Daniel Johnson (captain), Jordan Storey, Andrew Hughes, Ryan Ledson, Tom Cannon, Brad Potts.

Substitutes: Dai Cornell, Robbie Brady, Ali McCann, Troy Parrott, Josh Onomah, Ben Woodburn, Bambo Diary.

This post has been edited by an administrator

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 18:23 - Apr 21 with 919 viewsswancity

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 13:07 - Apr 21 by vetchonian

No back tracking from me and I have probably been one of the most vocal in criticism of Martin but if you read the thread happy to praise him after Wdnesday.
That said what it seems is all his supporters fail to see the changes in formation and tactics that have brought our recent success and let's not run away with ourselves given the run of form prior to the Bristol and Cardiff games.

I'm fed up of hearing the excuses how teams come to sit deep maybe yes at home as their managers have read all Martin's interviews about how he will always play the nine way hut when opposition teams are at home where they will he looking to attack how come we sit on the ball have 80% possession yet still lost

It appears Martin is finally starting to learn towards the end of his 4th season in management his ideal doesnt work....funny how the same players many were posting here earlier this season as not good enough were the ones who delivered that great first half on Wednesday.

we hear this crap that the.process is finally coming good but we play differently now than previously.

Second half Wednesday substitutions were not great and Martin again reverted to his favourite set up we were not as effective buwe actually didnt crumble a la Bournemouth last season or other games this season but went on to get the 4th goal

As I did on Wednesday credit to Martin for the result but his balance given past performances is still in debit...no back tracking from me

Martin has made changes and adapted 4 at the back ball moved forwards quicker and more often less focus on an obsession with possession...long may it continue
[Post edited 21 Apr 2023 13:13]

You’re making the same mistake constantly. That is, individual errors were proving to be costly during our bad spell. That’s not the fault of the Manager, playing style or formation.

It’s a bit like blaming Erik Ten Haag for the Maguire blunder last night. Your tunnel vision with added blinkers on means that you can’t or won’t look at the (much) wider picture.

Some of our recent football has been excellent. There are no poor teams in this league and you have to fight to earn every win. It’s the most competitive league in Europe. RM is going a good job taking everything into consideration. Read that last sentence again, slowly.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 19:25 - Apr 21 with 852 viewsvetchonian

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 18:23 - Apr 21 by swancity

You’re making the same mistake constantly. That is, individual errors were proving to be costly during our bad spell. That’s not the fault of the Manager, playing style or formation.

It’s a bit like blaming Erik Ten Haag for the Maguire blunder last night. Your tunnel vision with added blinkers on means that you can’t or won’t look at the (much) wider picture.

Some of our recent football has been excellent. There are no poor teams in this league and you have to fight to earn every win. It’s the most competitive league in Europe. RM is going a good job taking everything into consideration. Read that last sentence again, slowly.

it's all about opinions we obviously differ especially with you last sentence which I read very slowly. I along with many others would disagree that RM is doing a good job...His many faults have been documented over the last two seasons and as the saying goes a bad workman always blames his tools and in many if his post match interviews over his whole managerial career not just his time at Swansea he has blamed players ,pitches ,bus journeys or everything else but his decisions whenever results did not go his way....

I'm fed up of hearing how we fail due to the individual errors of players whilst yes all players make mistakes the blame for our last poor run and this squad failure to be challenging further up the table cannot be blamed on that.
Funny how the same players seemed not good enough to play Martinball or were so bad they were making all these errors resulting in our poor results suddenly have come good.
It has been said many times when players are told to keep the ball no matter what and be encouraged/forced to play suicidal passes in our own defensive third then mistakes will happen.Thats down to the manager/coach and his tactics....its happened to him at MKDons too ocoincidence isnt it that he has had bad luck with the players he has been given to manage/coach at both clubs who are prone to individual errors
[Post edited 21 Apr 2023 19:29]

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 19:47 - Apr 21 with 818 viewsTomsyard

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 23:03 - Apr 19 by magicdaps10

That's what happens when you beat the press......it allows you to play out quicker hence the passing numbers come down as shown in DrP statistic post.

The passing is done to draw the press, granted that PNE played much higher and that helped us massively.......this is why our pass numbers and possession % is higher against a team that sits deeper.

It's quite simplistic really........i mentioned it months ago and got knocked for it and surely will again but I am used to the response taken it's not what people want to see so they wil do their best to try and make other alternative scenarios to prove otherwise.

If you get through a high press with a team playing a high line then there will be fewer passes, you will get on the front foot facing the oppo goal and naturally possession % will be lower........its basics when learning your badges in that scenario of an opositions set up in how I explained.

Spot on MD, that’s how it works. If you’re brave and clever with the ball and move the ball through the press quickly then the opposition defence is immediately under pressure but this is easier against a team who push players on as opposed to teams who sit on the edge of their box and have no interest in moving out from it. I also think it’s very difficult to use number of passes and possession stats because there has to be an understanding of how the opposition set up, for example what was the average position of that team and the individuals in all positions and that should give a truer picture of why the game panned out as it did.
Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 19:53 - Apr 21 with 808 viewsswancity

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 19:25 - Apr 21 by vetchonian

it's all about opinions we obviously differ especially with you last sentence which I read very slowly. I along with many others would disagree that RM is doing a good job...His many faults have been documented over the last two seasons and as the saying goes a bad workman always blames his tools and in many if his post match interviews over his whole managerial career not just his time at Swansea he has blamed players ,pitches ,bus journeys or everything else but his decisions whenever results did not go his way....

I'm fed up of hearing how we fail due to the individual errors of players whilst yes all players make mistakes the blame for our last poor run and this squad failure to be challenging further up the table cannot be blamed on that.
Funny how the same players seemed not good enough to play Martinball or were so bad they were making all these errors resulting in our poor results suddenly have come good.
It has been said many times when players are told to keep the ball no matter what and be encouraged/forced to play suicidal passes in our own defensive third then mistakes will happen.Thats down to the manager/coach and his tactics....its happened to him at MKDons too ocoincidence isnt it that he has had bad luck with the players he has been given to manage/coach at both clubs who are prone to individual errors
[Post edited 21 Apr 2023 19:29]

You’re doing your best to convince yourself that your previous views of the manager were justifiable. They weren’t.

Your “ his many faults “ comment being one example.

You seem to mean well but your understanding is way wide of the mark.

As for “ a good workmen not blaming his tools “ ? Would you not agree that ETH would have been right to expect better from Maguire and De Gea last night? Of course he would have. They didn’t do their jobs properly and they paid the price. They are Premier League players, experienced international players.

Try to focus less on the manager. Scrutinise the players.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 20:05 - Apr 21 with 783 viewsvetchonian

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 19:53 - Apr 21 by swancity

You’re doing your best to convince yourself that your previous views of the manager were justifiable. They weren’t.

As for “ a good workmen not blaming his tools “ ? Would you not agree that ETH would have been right to expect better from Maguire and De Gea last night? Of course he would have. They didn’t do their jobs properly and they paid the price. They are Premier League players, experienced international players.

How often has de Gea made individual errors in his long career culminating in long runs of bad form...I love the comparisons used to Man U it's the same with this rubbish if giving managers time as Man U did with Fergie so it should he with Russ....its a joke Fergie arrived at Man U with a pedigree .European Cup Winner amongst the success what did Russ come here with Whilst it took him a while to win the title in his second season he had Man U in second place.

I am beginning to wonder if you are RM given your perpetual arguments focusing blame elsewhere.
Players make mistakes but not as many as the stubborn RM has during his managerial career costing his sides many points.
I say again what has changed to the players that they have all stopped these errors which apparently are the cause of our poor results..

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 20:09 - Apr 21 with 770 viewsKeithHaynes

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 20:05 - Apr 21 by vetchonian

How often has de Gea made individual errors in his long career culminating in long runs of bad form...I love the comparisons used to Man U it's the same with this rubbish if giving managers time as Man U did with Fergie so it should he with Russ....its a joke Fergie arrived at Man U with a pedigree .European Cup Winner amongst the success what did Russ come here with Whilst it took him a while to win the title in his second season he had Man U in second place.

I am beginning to wonder if you are RM given your perpetual arguments focusing blame elsewhere.
Players make mistakes but not as many as the stubborn RM has during his managerial career costing his sides many points.
I say again what has changed to the players that they have all stopped these errors which apparently are the cause of our poor results..

I think they are learning in answer to your question.
Mind you Norwich and Hull away will give us some better indicators.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 20:12 - Apr 21 with 763 viewsvetchonian

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 20:09 - Apr 21 by KeithHaynes

I think they are learning in answer to your question.
Mind you Norwich and Hull away will give us some better indicators.

I think Norwich and Hull will give some indications but it's funny how all of a sudden all the players have learnt at the same time Russ chose to start and persevere with a flat back four
[Post edited 21 Apr 2023 20:13]

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 20:31 - Apr 21 with 728 viewsvetchonian

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 19:53 - Apr 21 by swancity

whose mistakes cost is the game at home against Birmingham when despite leading 3-2 we lost 3-4 in the dying minutes as a result of this brilliant managers substitution decisions...

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 20:54 - Apr 21 with 708 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 20:31 - Apr 21 by vetchonian

whose mistakes cost is the game at home against Birmingham when despite leading 3-2 we lost 3-4 in the dying minutes as a result of this brilliant managers substitution decisions...

You will notice the trend when anyone questions Russ.
It is quite incredible
Some actually support the coach rather than the players .

The abuse meted out to non believers is still very evident;more subtle for sure but some nasty little digs all the same.

We won’t be making playoffs this season even though our squad is probably good enough.That means the coach’s ability can be questioned,or maybe not.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 20:59 - Apr 21 with 695 viewsonehunglow

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 07:51 - Apr 20 by magicdaps10

100%......been saying this for ages but it's not what people want to see because it goes against what they think.

The last 18 months, if I was a visiting manager then I would just sit deep with 2 banks of 4 and 2 quick ouktets up top, keep it tight and protect the lines and have the too 2 ready for the mistakes in our defence with the ball..........those mistakes have dried up, defenders more comfortable in the ball and moving it quicker.

When teams sit deep, we play it around more trying to force the press from the front 2, this then means that the players from the bank of 4 get pulled out to cover and then the final bank of 4 does the same and then we play the ball forward to exploit the gaps.

Really.
Consider this.
We are defending a narrow lead and the opposition is harassing our defenders replete with Fusher who doesnt really take command ,the ball requires clearing to safety.
You don’t do that by shifting it sideways two yards .
That is not anything to do with this trite “ press” . It means the coach absolutely insists on not doing the basics ,like clearing danger. Man 📎City actually are not averse to this

This is all about a doctrine

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Swansea City v Preston North End : Matchday Thread 22/23 UPDATED on 08:07 - Apr 22 with 623 viewsRichardO

First half we beat the press because I don't think PNE did it very well neither did their manager,which is why he made 3 substitutions at half time and their press was a lot better in all parts of the field.
Maybe we thought the game was won, maybe it was sloppy defending of the free kick but we were put under pressure, maybe of our own making but Martin felt he had to change things.
Did the first set of substitutions work? No, not really if anything they put us under more pressure.
Did the second substitution work? Yes we had a threat to ease the pressure on us, more luck than judgement who knows but Martin got it right eventually.
Teams have worked us out and we have to adjust accordingly so long may Martin get the judgement right while he is here🙏🤞🏻
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024