Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Matheson released by Wolves 14:15 - Jun 3 with 9863 views49thseason

We need a couple of fullbacks.....
https://www.wolves.co.uk/news/mens-first-team/20230602-hobbs-provides-first-team

"six members of the under-21s squad will depart Wolves during the summer, including Taylor Perry, who joined as a seven-year-old and Luke Matheson who signed for Wolves in January 2020, with fresh challenges hopefully awaiting all".
Matheson released by Wolves on 14:40 - Jun 3 with 6266 viewsTalkingSutty

Matheson was loaned out to Scunthorpe when Hill was manager and really struggled in a relegated team, to the extent that he struggled to catch the team. It appears as though his game has gone backwards rather than progressed. I think he then went playing in the lower Scottish leagues.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2023 14:42]
Matheson released by Wolves on 15:07 - Jun 3 with 6199 viewselectricblue

Matheson released by Wolves on 14:40 - Jun 3 by TalkingSutty

Matheson was loaned out to Scunthorpe when Hill was manager and really struggled in a relegated team, to the extent that he struggled to catch the team. It appears as though his game has gone backwards rather than progressed. I think he then went playing in the lower Scottish leagues.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2023 14:42]

Worth bringing home!..

Would he struggle in a tough national league.

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Matheson released by Wolves on 15:32 - Jun 3 with 6152 views49thseason

It would be nice to fix him and then sell him for another big fee.
Matheson released by Wolves on 15:32 - Jun 3 with 6150 viewsTalkingSutty

Matheson released by Wolves on 15:07 - Jun 3 by electricblue

Worth bringing home!..

Would he struggle in a tough national league.

Not sure, in a league that's high on physicality then maybe he would. Others better qualified than me will know.
Matheson released by Wolves on 16:06 - Jun 3 with 6053 viewskel

Harsh as it sounds, this is why it’s sometimes a good idea to cash in on young players when a decent offer comes along.

Of course, some supporters would probably slate the lad for moving there when he got a fantastic opportunity…
Matheson released by Wolves on 16:21 - Jun 3 with 6036 viewselectricblue

Why would anybody want to slate a player for moving to a bigger club with better coaches and facilities is something i cannot fathom..

What is a big worry though is Mathesons past two seasons the reason need looking into if JM is interested as the lad is still only young..

Matheson released by Wolves on 17:07 - Jun 3 with 5959 views49thseason

Matheson released by Wolves on 15:32 - Jun 3 by TalkingSutty

Not sure, in a league that's high on physicality then maybe he would. Others better qualified than me will know.

Play him in midfield then to replace Brierley... we know he can tackle, has pace and can pass a ball, He could be another Billy Bremner, Archie Gemmil type of player.
Matheson released by Wolves on 17:37 - Jun 3 with 5892 viewsBigKindo

Matheson released by Wolves on 17:07 - Jun 3 by 49thseason

Play him in midfield then to replace Brierley... we know he can tackle, has pace and can pass a ball, He could be another Billy Bremner, Archie Gemmil type of player.

Is he Scottish ?
Login to get fewer ads

Matheson released by Wolves on 17:47 - Jun 3 with 5876 viewsTalkingSutty

Matheson released by Wolves on 17:07 - Jun 3 by 49thseason

Not sure he's ever played midfield, i would have thought the coaches at Wolves and the other clubs would have already seen what his best position is. If he has unfulfilled promise maybe he would fancy joining a EFL club. I just know he was getting plenty of grief on the Iron bru Scunny forum for his performances and Hilly in turn for picking him, they thought it was favouritism. Not sure if anybody can dig up any of the threads from that period. It doesn't matter to me who the player is as long as they improve us. The Matheson of old would improve us.
Matheson released by Wolves on 19:22 - Jun 3 with 5706 viewsNorthernDale

I bring him back to the Dale, he is still only 20, so as potential to develop in the lower leagues.
Matheson released by Wolves on 19:32 - Jun 3 with 5686 viewsNewbury_Dale

If McNulty is keen on creating the right culture as he stated previously, then I think Matheson would be a good fit.
Matheson released by Wolves on 21:21 - Jun 3 with 5513 viewsjonahwhereru

I keep hearing on here that the NL is the land of the giants. I think he is a smashing lad and did a great service to the club, but tall he ain’t. With possibly SAJ at left back and Luke on the right I would be concerned we would get exploited at the back post from crosses.
We could invite him in for pre season and assess from there. He has massive admiration for JM so I could see it happening. But my gut feel is that a deal would end up providing a stick for the fans to beat JM with. A lot of fans are looking out for any reason to berate JM, so this would be a proper gamble if he took it.
Matheson released by Wolves on 23:44 - Jun 3 with 5312 viewspioneer

I hope the lad has a strong support network to help him get through what must be a very disappointing outcome for him at such a young age.

No add ons coming from that transfer for Dale.
Matheson released by Wolves on 07:22 - Jun 4 with 5160 viewsfrenzied

Not for me.

If we had still been in League 2 possibly.

But the NL is not for him at this stage
Matheson released by Wolves on 12:01 - Jun 4 with 4899 views49thseason

Whilst i accept that the NL is perhaps more physical, I'm not sure you can progress unless you have a capacity to play decent football too. Everyone seems to agree that Lloyd would be a good signing, and I'm not sure he is any taller or wider than the now 20 years old Matheson..... Unless he has lost his pace, he would cause problems for a lot of teams. The lad has maybe 15 seasons ahead of him if he intends to stay in football, getting his head back together at Rochdale for a couple of years and learning how to play a tougher form of the game would do him no long term harm and would improve us too. At least we know he cares about Rochdale which is more than you can say about some of our recent signings... Better the devil you know....
Matheson released by Wolves on 10:21 - Jun 5 with 4301 viewsBrierls

Matheson has gone backwards, unfortunately.

Dale capitalised on the romance and elevated profile of his goal at Old Trafford, with him being an academy graduate playing at a young age.

If you look back at the games he played, he was targeted by the opposition as a weak link. His loan spells from Wolves have done nothing to suggest he's been able to shake that off.

Lovely lad, but I don't think we should be looking at taking him back.
Matheson released by Wolves on 10:45 - Jun 5 with 4238 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Matheson released by Wolves on 12:01 - Jun 4 by 49thseason

Whilst i accept that the NL is perhaps more physical, I'm not sure you can progress unless you have a capacity to play decent football too. Everyone seems to agree that Lloyd would be a good signing, and I'm not sure he is any taller or wider than the now 20 years old Matheson..... Unless he has lost his pace, he would cause problems for a lot of teams. The lad has maybe 15 seasons ahead of him if he intends to stay in football, getting his head back together at Rochdale for a couple of years and learning how to play a tougher form of the game would do him no long term harm and would improve us too. At least we know he cares about Rochdale which is more than you can say about some of our recent signings... Better the devil you know....

Totally agree. Every player at our level has deficiencies which is why they are at our level. So he may lack physically but he is quick, aggressive, great going forward and loves the club. He and Jim have a great relationship and if he is affordable would say he would be a fantastic signing. I don’t necessarily think he has regressed as a player just that he has not had enough game time and he needs to develop on the pitch and be allowed the odd mistake.

Sadly I can’t see it happening as I think he will go to a club higher up the food chain.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Matheson released by Wolves on 11:26 - Jun 5 with 4160 viewsAtThePeake

What are people basing this 'the National League is more physical' idea on? Is it actually true based on games watched on BT Sport or is it just a lazy stereotype about non-league?

I've watched a lot of non-league football over the last few years, although admittedly not much NL football, but I honestly haven't noticed that much difference in the physicality when watching NLN and NPL games, the physical differences between that level of football and L1/L2 appear to be more about pace and clever movement than brute force.

Tangled up in blue.

Matheson released by Wolves on 12:15 - Jun 5 with 4067 viewsTalkingSutty

Matheson released by Wolves on 11:26 - Jun 5 by AtThePeake

What are people basing this 'the National League is more physical' idea on? Is it actually true based on games watched on BT Sport or is it just a lazy stereotype about non-league?

I've watched a lot of non-league football over the last few years, although admittedly not much NL football, but I honestly haven't noticed that much difference in the physicality when watching NLN and NPL games, the physical differences between that level of football and L1/L2 appear to be more about pace and clever movement than brute force.

It's something the pundits mention regularly when you watch the live games. My next door neighbours are both season ticket holders at Oldham and said it's very noticeable. When Unsworth took the job he tried to play a passing game and many of the team where lightweight , the young players all struggled. He changed the tactics and went more direct, signed more physical players and they became harder to beat. A lot of the teams are super fit and don't give you a minute on the ball, it's not pretty to watch. That's their verdict on the first season in the National League, they've been watching Oldham for nearly fifty years.The teams who did well by playing football were the ones with the highest budgets who could afford to pay quality footballers .
Matheson released by Wolves on 14:20 - Jun 5 with 3828 views100notout

Matheson released by Wolves on 12:15 - Jun 5 by TalkingSutty

It's something the pundits mention regularly when you watch the live games. My next door neighbours are both season ticket holders at Oldham and said it's very noticeable. When Unsworth took the job he tried to play a passing game and many of the team where lightweight , the young players all struggled. He changed the tactics and went more direct, signed more physical players and they became harder to beat. A lot of the teams are super fit and don't give you a minute on the ball, it's not pretty to watch. That's their verdict on the first season in the National League, they've been watching Oldham for nearly fifty years.The teams who did well by playing football were the ones with the highest budgets who could afford to pay quality footballers .

That an interesting insight TS, the NL will be a new experience for us all. I hope (and am sure?) that JMc is / has done thorough research on things like that.

edit - back to the subject of the thread and notwithstanding the above comments, I'd have Luke back without hesitation - he would improve the quality of the squad and it would give him chance to get his mojo back. Who knows he might be another Scott Hogan.
[Post edited 5 Jun 2023 14:26]

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Matheson released by Wolves on 14:45 - Jun 5 with 3763 viewsNorthernDale

I serious doubt McNulty as done any research on the NL, his approach is to play possession football, pass it sideways and backwards because he admits that the football he prefers to watch and what the board wants. I know some Oldham fans who say the standard is better then you expect and yes, with fast, physical and big players. I doubt if anyone connected with the club, fully understands the nature of the NL.
Matheson released by Wolves on 15:00 - Jun 5 with 3731 viewselectricblue

Matheson released by Wolves on 14:45 - Jun 5 by NorthernDale

I serious doubt McNulty as done any research on the NL, his approach is to play possession football, pass it sideways and backwards because he admits that the football he prefers to watch and what the board wants. I know some Oldham fans who say the standard is better then you expect and yes, with fast, physical and big players. I doubt if anyone connected with the club, fully understands the nature of the NL.

"I serious doubt McNulty as done any research on the NL, his approach is to play possession football, pass it sideways and backwards because he admits that the football he prefers to watch and what the board wants."

If that is the case then i expect him to join Stockdale, Bentley.....
[Post edited 5 Jun 2023 15:01]

Matheson released by Wolves on 16:14 - Jun 5 with 3553 viewsNorthernDale

That is worries me, we have tried possession football with BBM, Stockdale and struggled to win games, but did top possession rates in most games. We tried Bentley, who was old school, but was not actually first, second or third choice, but he could not motivate the squad or lost them after an initial good start. Sadly we have seen enough of McNulty to suspect that he seems a disciple of the possession football system, like many coaches now a days, it is the new vogue.

Hopefully McNulty will listen to wiser heads, but like Harrogate away, in the first half he played forward passing football, but in the second half, he resorted to passing backwards and sideways. That may be is biggest problem, he may be encouraged to play forward attacking football, but can he resist possession football. Only the commencement of the season, will if McNulty can adapt the style of football according to the teams we will meet.
Matheson released by Wolves on 16:26 - Jun 5 with 3530 viewsChaffRAFC

Do you seriously think McNulty won't have done any research into the National League? I mean really?

And are we really using the last game of the season as a true reflection?

At least give him a chance before we start writing him off.

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

Matheson released by Wolves on 16:27 - Jun 5 with 3528 viewsjonahwhereru

Matheson released by Wolves on 12:15 - Jun 5 by TalkingSutty

Because Southend United have been in an almost constant transfer embargo they have had to rely on a lot of kids in the team. They were still in the mix for a play off place with 2 games left. That does make me wonder about the the physicality being a pre requisite for success.
Another view I have seen is that you need a manager who has already managed at that level, Kevin Maher had only ever managed in the EFL, before returning to Southend.
Until we are I actually experiencing it I don’t think we will be sure what is required on the pitch to succeed. The only certainty is that money talks, but that applies to every league where players are paid.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024